Home
News Post

Kotaku's Owen Good has posted some more details on MLB 12 The Show's Diamond Dynasty and let's us know why it's not EA's Ultimate Team.

Quote:
Cards, collections, virtual currency— when "Diamond Dynasty" appeared in a retail listing as a new mode for MLB 12 The Show, everyone thought they knew what it was: A feature that would borrow heavily from EA Sports' "Ultimate Team," which has been a cash cow for its FIFA, NHL and Madden franchises.

It would seem to make sense. EA Sports has no baseball presence, and the game is a natural for anything built on a sports card motif. Plus, it might make sense for Sony to move into this territory now, in case EA Sports returns to it after 2K's baseball license expires this year.

After talking with Sony's San Diego Studio, the makers of the widely acclaimed MLB The Show series, it sounds like all "Diamond Dynasty" has in common with "Ultimate Team," is the fact neither gives you a stick of gum when you open a fresh pack.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Bahnzo @ 02/27/12 10:30 PM
Ya know what would be cool? DD leagues online.

# 42 nomo17k @ 02/29/12 05:16 PM
New trailer on DD... blog should be coming today as well right?

# 43 jinc1019 @ 03/01/12 08:38 AM
I know it's extremely difficult to implement....but honestly, without a stadium creator, this mode really seems odd....So we create custom teams to play in stadiums of other real teams? Doesn't feel right.

# 44 Perfect Zero @ 03/01/12 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinc1019
I know it's extremely difficult to implement....but honestly, without a stadium creator, this mode really seems odd....So we create custom teams to play in stadiums of other real teams? Doesn't feel right.
The same happens in other card modes in other sports games. A stadium creator would be a difficult fit into today's systems. The only time we came close was in EA's College Baseball, and that was made possible because there was no complicated art in the outfield.

What I do like is that team graphics are on the video boards around the stadiums. That probably took a lot of effort to get those graphics to work like that, especially the whole 3D thing. This mode took a lot of effort, you can really tell that.

# 45 baef @ 03/03/12 03:59 PM
I hope they have fixed the servers for online play.. MLB 11 was not very fun online because of the lag.

# 46 nomo17k @ 03/03/12 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr9inchesbpel
What happened to the ten page write-up on diamond dynasty is this not being released?
Part I is up, although probably not on the official PS blog yet:

http://forums.theshownation.com/showthread.php?t=10499

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.