Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

After yesterday's big gameplay reveals, we asked our staff what they thought of the game this year. There is a mix of excitement and healthy skepticism abound. Be sure to read on and share your thoughts at the end!

Read More - OS Roundtable: What do you think of the NCAA Football Gameplay Enhancements?

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 moylan1234 @ 04/18/12 01:08 PM
I'm still waiting for proof of the so called enhancements

my favorite quote from the article that basically states why I wont be purchasing
Quote:
Double team pass blocking remains absent, as offensive linemen who are not engaged still stand in place, twitching and turning around looking confused. This is inexcusable for a football franchise entering its seventh season on the Xbox 360/Playstation 3.
very good article thanks for posting

# 2 Pokes404 @ 04/18/12 01:09 PM
Pretty good breakdown. The improvements sounds good on paper, but there's a cautious optimism that surrounds anything EA does nowadays.

It seems like Jayson and I harbor the same attitude towards this series. It's great that they're trying, but it's too little, too late at this point.

# 3 turftickler @ 04/18/12 01:10 PM
Not impressed. It's 2012 and this series still has synchronized running. With all the advanced technology at EA Sport's disposal, we get a shinier repackaged NCAA 12 from NCAA 13.

That's my opinion. I don't see an improvement, but I have not played this game, yet. So a true gameplay review will have to wait.

# 4 Broncos86 @ 04/18/12 01:10 PM
Loving it. It directly addressed the issues I had with NCAA 12 and kept '12 from being a worthy follow up to NCAA 11.

# 5 SageInfinite @ 04/18/12 01:25 PM
Good article. Agreed with pretty much everything I read. Also love how the improvements and lack of a improvements were made more than aware.

# 6 Noles4ever @ 04/18/12 01:38 PM
Won't matter if the game is broken after patch 1. But the improvements sound promising, hopefully ncaa regroups and gives us a good product after last years debacle.

# 7 Ramminyou @ 04/18/12 01:39 PM
Quote:
Making it to where you can't throw a ball to a receiver until "he reaches a point in the route where he expects the ball or is looking at the QB" is a great addition to the game as well.
Man. That feature is really tripping people up. You can throw the ball to him. He simply won't try to catch it unless the user takes over.

# 8 SteelerSpartan @ 04/18/12 01:49 PM
I think their views are pretty valid

Everybody wants to believe all these improvements are going to at least give us that old school era(04-06) Video Game Football Fun Factor........

But EA has built a track record this gen that still keeps everybody pessimistic

Many feel they haven't pushed the series forward enough

So its crucial that the game comes out relatively stable

# 9 da ThRONe @ 04/18/12 01:56 PM
I think the overall theme here is "too little too late". Maybe they should triple the gameplay department next year.

However it's great to see good smart fundamental football improvements being made. If you are a fan of EA's NCAA series you realise how much this can't be under stated.

# 10 Phobia @ 04/18/12 01:56 PM
Very good read guys!! Also agree with most of it. I think the skepticism is natural and healthy. We all want a fantastic playing football game. I just think we are to far gone in this generation of consoles to receive that. Here is to hoping we get what we all want by next console generation.

# 11 chi_hawks @ 04/18/12 02:09 PM
each year EA advertises "new features" and "improvements" and each year it seems few, if any, of these features and improvements actually work. I'm not expecting any different this year.

# 12 volwalker @ 04/18/12 02:28 PM
I am an offline Dynasty player. After the second patch I just quit playing due to gameplay frustrations. The two features i care about the most were Coaching Carousel and Custom Playbooks; both which directly relate to Dynasty. Since I quit the game so early I never got a chance to dive into Dynasty Mode and thus play around with those two features.

A question to anyone and everyone: How effective was Coaching Carousel and Custom Playbooks after all of the tune-ups and patches? Also, did they ever fix the rosters where 20 years into your Dyansty there were not 8 qb's on the roster and one position playing another position (qb's playing mlb)? In general, was Dynasty Mode playable after all of the patches and tune-ups? I read on this site how both of those features were flawed but did not know if they were fixed post-patch. Everyone's opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

# 13 noplace @ 04/18/12 02:31 PM
Jayson nailed it!

# 14 ABR173rd @ 04/18/12 02:39 PM
I approach everything at this point with major skepticism regarding EA titles. While the addition of the animations is nice, I was a little let down to see the same CB swat animation thats been in the game for awhile.

# 15 jenglund @ 04/18/12 03:16 PM
Enhancements sound great until you think, "Wait, why weren't those always in the game?"

The two I think of are the 5- and 7-step dropbacks and the trajectories. These are just basic football pieces that should have always been in the game, so it makes it a little frustrating to read about.

However, I understand DB/WR interaction and awareness stuff can always be enhanced; those things are the nuances of the game that I'm sure are challenging to program.

I enjoyed last year's game, and recently started playing it again and am having fun, but I am skeptical about what the writers said about the "two steps forward, two steps back."

All I want: CPU teams that can run the spread and option correctly, pass trajectories, and an absolutely flawless dynasty/coaching carousel mode.

# 16 slingblade73 @ 04/18/12 03:17 PM
I think they should retail the game at $30 this year out of good will.

# 17 DorianDonP @ 04/18/12 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR173rd
I approach everything at this point with major skepticism regarding EA titles. While the addition of the animations is nice, I was a little let down to see the same CB swat animation thats been in the game for awhile.
To go along with the tired over the catch animation from the receiver on an under-thrown ball. Disappointing that receivers still don't appear to make a play on the ball.

We never hear anyone complain about receiving animations, so put a little focus on the lines and go from there.

Maybe they chose to do receiving animations because it's more attractive to the casual fan on box covers and sizzle trailers.

To most OS users, hearing 400 new OL/DL interaction animations would prolly blow our minds.

To most casual fans, hearing 400 new OL/Dl interaction animations might cause a yawn.

# 18 mm boost @ 04/18/12 04:17 PM
While you guys are wasting time saying too little, too late...I am saying, finally!! i can't wait to get my hands on this game. I've never lived my life being a negative nancy, and don't plan on changing that anytime soon.

Instead of harping about that should have been in the game 3 years ago, why not appreciate the fact that it will be in the new game? I just don't understand the line of thinking for some of you guys. It's a video game guys...find ways to enjoy it for what it is worth. We will NEVER have a perfect football game...if you want real football, go outside and play.

# 19 ABR173rd @ 04/18/12 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
To go along with the tired over the catch animation from the receiver on an under-thrown ball. Disappointing that receivers still don't appear to make a play on the ball.

We never hear anyone complain about receiving animations, so put a little focus on the lines and go from there.

Maybe they chose to do receiving animations because it's more attractive to the casual fan on box covers and sizzle trailers.

To most OS users, hearing 400 new OL/DL interaction animations would prolly blow our minds.

To most casual fans, hearing 400 new OL/Dl interaction animations might cause a yawn.
It wasn't just the DB swat animations but the same weird tackling animations, they may have added new animations but from what I saw the majority of them still look awkward for lack of a better word.

I was just disappointed to see additional animations as a showcased feature and then see some of the weirder ones still in the game.

# 20 fcboiler87 @ 04/18/12 04:22 PM
I find it very interesting that this board by in large has taken on a cautious sentiment. Last year, the hype train was full heading into release. After the debacle that was '12, a lot of people are not forgetting that and aren't jumping immediately on the train again this year. I think it's a smart thing to do.

Don't get me wrong; as many have stated, the changes are great and welcomed with open arms. But it's 2012 and we're getting correct dropbacks from the quarterback? You wonder how that's not in to begin with. I personally don't plan to buy it simply to make a point. But too, I don't see any real good reason to buy it yet. Maybe I will. I really do hope I can get swayed with the dynasty news.

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.