Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Bulls321974 @ 04/26/12 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Hope they fix those throwing motions. None of them really looked spot on to me. I especially hated Drew Brees first throw from the 3 step drop where it looks like he kept two hands on the ball through the entire windup. Looks more like Madden 08 to me. And Alex Smith's second throw on that crossing out, his release looks as quick as Marino's.

I did like that they're trying to integrate more footwork and guys stepping into throws to drive the ball, but the pocket stuff doesn't look player specific to me yet.
Could't agree more...

# 62 Bulls321974 @ 04/26/12 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
You must be new here.

We see pre-alpha and are told it's pre-alpha.

Then we see the same thing in Beta, and are told it's just beta.

We are told to wait for E3 and then are told E3 is a much older build than they have right now.

We are told to wait for the demo, but it's still almost the same... or at least the core complaints are still there... but it's just the demo.

It's time to wait for the retail copy, but and it is very similar to the pre-alpha, but we are told to wait for a patch or two, or three... and next thing we know Madden 11... I mean 12... I mean 13 is about to come out.

Yet, after all of that, even with the minor improvements here and there, it is still the same game in MANY other ways.

I agree with others that the foot planting in Madden 10 is actually better than Madden 12. I still have M10, M11 and M12 and can compare. While M12 is the best Madden on this generation, and may be one of the best Madden's they have put out, it STILL isn't nearly as good as it could or should be.

I am not asking for the impossible. I am not asking for too much. I am asking for things that have already been done, in other football games.

What has REALLY changed in the game play from Madden 09 to Madden 12?

When I think about it, all I can really point to are options like game speed/sliders, how tackling works has changed, and how run blocking works. Also, the visual presentation was improved last year and looks like it has continued to improve this year.

I can't comment on the passing game, but in motion the game still moves like Madden. It is still choppy and robotic with animations and reactions that don't pass the eye test. Heck ,the QB mechanics are still god awful and unrealistic. I'm sure body language still doesn't really matter. I'm sure a defender who is a complete stop in zone, or going one way can change direction and keep up with a receiver who is running an In route over the middle.

Too many people are happy with the "it's just a video game" line and actually DON'T want more authentic game play. There are people who love how casual and arcade-ish Madden is.
Why should I write all that much when you already did all that for me? That's exactly how I am thinking about the "Madden" topic...

# 63 jpdavis82 @ 04/26/12 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertandHam
Like the new touches, but "Hello Friends" will become my new "Reese's Peanut Butter Cups" by the third week of the season.
Well it's what he says before every game in real life, so blame him

# 64 jpdavis82 @ 04/26/12 09:56 AM
All I'm going to say is I'm very impressed with what I have seen so far, my expectations were realistic and they have exceeded them by quite a bit. If you pay attention at all to the devs you would have already known that this wasn't the year for physics, they talk about it every interview. They are holding off on physics until they can get it to work the way it should and not end up with us having madden 13 fail videos like we do backbreaker fail or fifa or nba elite fail videos all over youtube.

Once they figure out how to do physics the right way, which no one has really been able to do so far, then you will see them in Madden. Other than that, I think they are doing a great job and have really gone out of their way to work on gameplay this year. The fact that they are doing 2 webcasts for gameplay should prove that, and no it will not just be about kinect, that I guarantee you. You can mark this down and come back June 4th if you want, the monumental change is something else, not kinect.

Here's a conversation I saw about it yesterday between a fan and a community day member

Fan: a day after the hyperbole of "monumental change to gameplay that will blur the line between virtual and reality"?

Shopmaster:Fact, not opinion. Gotta stay tuned June 4th.

# 65 noplace @ 04/26/12 10:05 AM
I can see what EA is attempting to do in terms of improvements but I have to say player movement and physics still look horrible IMO. I still see sliding and warping, nothing looks fluid & of course player interactions still look bad. This game could be beautiful if EA just figured out how to bring it to "life" it looks and places arcadish & offers nothing organic to be considered a true simulation.

Maybe it will look better at a slower speed… IDK Looks like the same game with just minor improvements to player positioning but with the same sliding, warping, suctioning, robotic game play… Early build? Yes….. Huge changes to retail? Doubt it…. What you normally see is what you’ll get. Its EA

# 66 jpdavis82 @ 04/26/12 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplace
I can see what EA is attempting to do in terms of improvements but I have to say player movement and physics still look horrible IMO. I still see sliding and warping, nothing looks fluid & of course player interactions still look bad. This game could be beautiful if EA just figured out how to bring it to "life" it looks and places arcadish & offers nothing organic to be considered a true simulation.

Maybe it will look better at a slower speed… IDK Looks like the same game with just minor improvements to player positioning but with the same sliding, warping, suctioning, robotic game play… Early build? Yes….. Huge changes to retail? Doubt it…. What you normally see is what you’ll get. Its EA
I'm not saying you're wrong because based on the past you are right, but this is not what you normally see. Like they said yesterday they usually don't show the game this early in development. Usually the first time we see it is around E3, which is in June.

# 67 BezO @ 04/26/12 10:28 AM
Not much to say about the vid that hasn't already been said. Thanks for saving me some time PG. Much easier to just like everything you said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralow36
no one will every give EA any credit ...even when you see such good improvement on a pre alpha. geez lighting up
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLESFAN10
@ultralow36 ur right no matter what they do 2 improve the game some people wont accept it

if madden was NFL2K13 and had the same flaws SOME people would be calling it the best game ever just because they see 2K
I see neither of you post here much, but this is the type of passive aggressive, immature nonsense that moves threads towards being locked. Have some respect for people's opinions. If you're happy with the imrpvoements, excellent. But don't insult folks that don't feel the same.

Many here are pretty good at expressing & explaining themselves. I bet if you address someone directly, they'd be happy to tell you why they're not as impressed as you.

# 68 jfsolo @ 04/26/12 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Too many people are happy with the "it's just a video game" line and actually DON'T want more authentic game play. There are people who love how casual and arcade-ish Madden is.
To say that people, here at OS especially, "DON'T want more authentic game play" is simply disingenuous. People don't come here, day after day, for years on end, happy to see the gameplay not measure up to other sports video games that exist.

Still purchasing the game and being able to find some enjoyment in it, as well as not being Terminator-like in relentless critique of the games' flaws, in no way, shape, or form, means that the we don't have the same fervent desire for an exponential improvement in how the game plays.

Yes, some go too far in criticizing the criticizers, but the criticizers often go to far in criticizing those who they think are "settling".

# 69 Senator Palmer @ 04/26/12 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls321974
Could't agree more...
I'm not going to jump to any conclusions after just this, but with the additions of the new dropbacks, re-doing how a QB torques his hips and lower body to throw the ball, I REALLY hope they didn't go away from signature throwing motions. While they weren't perfect, I was hoping they would continue to be tweaked.

# 70 roadman @ 04/26/12 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Not much to say about the vid that hasn't already been said. Thanks for saving me some time PG. Much easier to just like everything you said.
I see neither of you post here much, but this is the type of passive aggressive, immature nonsense that moves threads towards being locked. Have some respect for people's opinions. If you're happy with the imrpvoements, excellent. But don't insult folks that don't feel the same.

Many here are pretty good at expressing & explaining themselves. I bet if you address someone directly, they'd be happy to tell you why they're not as impressed as you.
Bezo

Have you seen this?

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34POV...utu.be&t=1m30s

# 71 ultralow36 @ 04/26/12 11:09 AM
Quote:

edit: forget it no need in trying

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

# 72 tril @ 04/26/12 11:14 AM
ok I hate the animated announcers. I never liked that in any game on the current gen consoles. why dont they use the actual announcers, use them at the intro like they do in this video and then cut to the regular cutscenes while they continue their discussion about the upcoming game.
other than that the game looks promising, but I promised myself this year that I will not fall for the hype.

# 73 jmood88 @ 04/26/12 11:21 AM
The route running animations still look awful.

# 74 BezO @ 04/26/12 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Did see it.

I can't speak on it without addressing how the vid starts though. The kick returner zig zagging up the field kills it for me. I have a short list of game killers, and that's one of them.

As for the topic of the vid, I dig how the tackle in progress is influenced by the 2nd defender coming it. The pile cutting out the legs of the 2 other Steelers also looked promising. I'm curious to see if the engagement from the 2nd defender is consistent, and how many additional defenders can influence the momentum.

# 75 BezO @ 04/26/12 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralow36
so what you're saying is I need to bash it to fit in...I can't have my on view...because I don't post a lot....OK thanks....I don't post a lot because when you say hey I think that was pretty cool I get 10 others posters telling me I don't know about football...when in fact I know a lot more than most and have played real life ball...

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk
What? Go back & read what I said. Better yet, let me rephrase.

There are some tried & true methods on OS:

1)Stick to opinions of the game, not the OS members. There are a wide variety of opinions here. Being respecful & constructive is how you fit in.
2)If you disagree with someone, quote them (or not) and address them directly. Be respectful. Most will be happy to engage in dialog. That's what we come here for.

What never works & will start e-fights more times than not:

1)Insulting people and/or their opinions.
2)Passive, indirect insults that lump OS members together like we're attached at the hip.

# 76 Bulls321974 @ 04/26/12 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
I'm not going to jump to any conclusions after just this, but with the additions of the new dropbacks, re-doing how a QB torques his hips and lower body to throw the ball, I REALLY hope they didn't go away from signature throwing motions. While they weren't perfect, I was hoping they would continue to be tweaked.
No EA bashing, but I have to say I've lost faith in them a couple of years ago

# 77 roadman @ 04/26/12 11:35 AM
Quote:
Did see it.

I can't speak on it without addressing how the vid starts though. The kick returner zig zagging up the field kills it for me. I have a short list of game killers, and that's one of them.

As for the topic of the vid, I dig how the tackle in progress is influenced by the 2nd defender coming it. The pile cutting out the legs of the 2 other Steelers also looked promising. I'm curious to see if the engagement from the 2nd defender is consistent, and how many additional defenders can influence the momentum.
Oh yeah, I agree.

Even in the video, Gedden mentioned about the zig zagging and foot planting.

# 78 spankdatazz22 @ 04/26/12 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Like they said yesterday they usually don't show the game this early in development. Usually the first time we see it is around E3, which is in June.
That's why I don't understand why they're showing so much so early at this point. My theory is that they (Tiburon) are very impressed with what they've done and are showing it, while wanting to also take advantage of the heightened interest the NFL Draft brings. I give them all the credit in the world for giving out so much info so early. But this isn't like Battlefield 3, where Dice put out pre-alpha video that displayed serious technology improvements that sent the hype train into overdrive for that game. The improvements Tiburon's making seem to be more along the lines of common-sense improvements - which I don't know why they'd choose to hype them. Unless they truly exist in a vacuum and don't realize how sports games have evolved, or acknowlege where football games have been previously. Also disappointed that they more than doubled the development team yet it didn't yield them taking a more comprehensive approach to improving the game, where every gameplay facet received a facelift. Instead it's the same outside/in approach of focusing on the skill positions and little attention given to the OL/DL play, versus an inside/out approach that while not as exciting makes more sense long term. I'm sure they've made improvements to the OL/DL on some level, but it'd be nice to see the less glamorous aspects of the gameplay be given as much attention as the QB/WR play received and addressed sooner rather than later. To that end it doesn't seem like things have changed; they always seem like the team that refuses to draft an offensive lineman because they're normally not sexy picks.

Still I do think they're at least making common sense improvements this year. The improvements to the QB and WR play are much needed. And I like the changes to the defensive backs and finally getting the ability to disguise coverages. And the presentation improvements were also much needed.

# 79 PGaither84 @ 04/26/12 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
. As of right now, I'm passing on this game.
I agree. I passed on Madden 12 for months. However, between getting tired of Madden 11 and to be honest, watching my 49ers play well for the first time in 10 years, I HAD to get 12.

I don't feel the need to get 13, and until I see something that really sparks my interest, I don't see myself blowing another $45+ on another football game.

The presentation looks nice... and that MIGHT lure me in a bit... but with other games liek SkyRim and Mass Effect 3 still on my wish list right now, Madden 13 [months away] is much lower on that same list.

# 80 PGaither84 @ 04/26/12 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
With regards to pre-alpha, beta, etc people need to realize that basically going from alpha to ready to ship means that you're getting a ton of polish and getting rid of bugs. There's going to be some tuning here and there but the core
mechanics/gameplay will be the same in pre-alpha as it will be for release, which is going to be basically (mechanically) what we've seen this gen of EA football. If you're expecting sweeping changes from year to year you're going to always be disappointed. It's an iterative process.
This.

A thousand times "This!"

I REALLY don't expect QB mechanics to suddenly appear after this build. I don't expect line play to suddenly change from what we have seen. I don't expect to suddenly see engaged player movements if it isn't in the game already.

I expect to see/hear things the commentary getting polished, things liek the numbers on the shoulders of the bears uniforms and such getting fixed... that sort of thing.

There are four categories that I care about: General Presentation, game play, playbooks, and offline franchise.

In Madden 12, the offline franchise got a big overhaul and that made me happy. It also got a decent visual presentation overhaul which is also nice. It looks like it is getting an audio overhaul which is also very nice. I don't love Phil and Jim, but I hated Chris Collinsworth. At least it isn't Troy and Joe Buck. I wish John would come back and do booth work, but if he doesn't want too, that the way it goes.

I always found Madden's playbooks interesting, even if a number of the plays didn't always work our like they were supposed to. I still wish we had access to offline Formation/Play creator.

However, of all 4 areas that are important to me, game play was always the most important to me. Good franchise mode let me mes around and simulate step-by-step into the post season where I would play games on a higher difficulty, but there was no way I could stand playing a full season with the game play we have now... and how the game play continues to be.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.