Home
NHL 13 News Post

GameInformer's, Matt Bertz gives us the goods on the new trading interface in NHL 13.

Quote:
Once you propose a trade, if the opposing team doesn’t accept it will give you feedback about how closely your offer comes to being feasible. In my experience this could still use tweaking. Because Montreal was in the market for a top-six forward and was willing to give up its first round pick, I offered Pierre-Marc Bouchard for the pick (an admitted reach) to see how far off this proposal would be. The GM said that they were very interested but I had to sweeten the pot. I tried adding a sixth round pick, and that wasn't enough. I eventually worked my way up to offering Bouchard and a second rounder, and I was still receiving the same feedback even though it was apparent that my first offer was much further beneath their expectations than they originally let on since they were still rejecting my much more generous offer. Hopefully EA Canada has time to refine this feedback to be more specific.

The NHL development team also opened up about other changes its made since we saw the game a couple months ago. Based on early fan feedback on NHL 13’s direction, the development team also decided to change the player ratings to create more of a gap between the star players and the average skaters in the league. Franchise player like Sidney Crosby are still rated in the 90s, but the average ratings of third-line defenders are in the mid-70s instead of the low-80s this year.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 bukktown @ 07/25/12 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbertz
Actually, NHL 13 lists PMB's role as a "top six forward," so I wasn't trying to rip off the AI. I was following the guidelines set forth by the game.
And in reality he is! Even on a *stacked* team like the Wild!

At least according to Russo

# 22 mkharsh33 @ 07/26/12 03:09 AM
I've been critical of this game, as a number of us have, and rightly so. With that said, I like what I'm hearing and do appreciate EA listening to us. Should only make this game that much more fun to play... Count me as hopefully optimistic this year!

# 23 gopher_guy @ 07/26/12 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I know 4th liners have good hands, but not in an actual game. Ya once in a rare while they can when they are facing the opposing teams 4th line and worst D pairing. They aren't going to pull that off against a 1st or 2nd line. Hell I watched Derek Boogaard in warmups and he had terrific hands, during a game whole different story because defensive pressure was put on him.

Also there is no way that Shawn Thornton can pull off some of the stuff that Crosby, Malkin, Ovi, Datsyuk and others with tremendous hands can do. That's what limits this game greatly. At the very least they need to edit the players puck control a crap load. The puck control slider limits every single player, not just one, so they need to edit that attribute a lot otherwise that distinguishing of Crosby's hands vs. Matt Kassian's won't be well represented in the game.
While you have good intentions with this idea, I think it's just too Sim to be realistically added to the game. IMO a majority of their consumer base would dislike it.

Whenever I think about these new ideas, I think of how my roommate would receive them. He's a button mashing, arcade type player. He would HATE it if you could only pull off moves with your top 6 forwards. Like RealmK said, I'm sure EA would be very cautious about making the controls too clunky with half the players on your team.

# 24 Fiddy @ 07/26/12 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
While you have good intentions with this idea, I think it's just too Sim to be realistically added to the game. IMO a majority of their consumer base would dislike it.
ea has done it before.. they had superstar moves or something in what, 2003/2004? or was it 2006?

but higher end rated players could do spin o romas etc, while the 3rd and 4th line guys couldnt.

they could at the very least limit what moves those guys can and cant do IMO. maybe even slow down the deking with the skill stick on them to make doing those moves much more difficult during the game with them.

# 25 JimmyDeicide @ 07/26/12 10:02 AM
Or it could be tied in with game type also like Hardcore would be that way and casual to normal could switch it off for when your playing your friend or like me my son.
Maybe just a option to toggle on or off like offensive attributes or whatever it is they have in the game already.
But who knows if that is even possible to program.

# 26 bwiggy33 @ 07/26/12 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Now granted this is during a penalty shot, so obviously things like defensive pressure don't come into play but I dunno, for a 4th line guy who makes his living punching guys in the face, I'd say this is a pretty nice deke.
You just proved my point. Just about every player in the NHL can do this move but with defensive pressure it's a whole different ball game. They didn't get this far in their hockey career for no reason. They got here because they have a lot of talent but aren't good enough in the NHL so they have to be an enforcer and play a more defensive style. I go to St. Cloud and work as an assistant equipment manager for the hockey team. I talked to Matt Hendricks from the Caps and he said he had to start fighting and being a pest in order to keep cracking the lineup. That's why Colorado didn't resign him. He tried to be too offensive and it hurt him. Sure enough his change has led to better offensive production (producing gritty garbage goals, not superstar moves), and he's a hell of a lot more talented than Thornton and those other big guys.

The garbage goals from these guys is what we want to see, not seeing Thornton dangling Weber and going top cheese while being flawless like Crosby. That's what NHL 12 is right now unless you lower puck control and then that leads to the superstar players not being able to make superstar caliber moves.

Fiddy you are dead on. They had those spin o ramas and what not. Although some of the moves were a little cheesy it still showed player separation. I remember if you tried them with a poor puck handler he would just completely lose the puck 90% of the time. That's the stuff I'm talking about. It needs to be incorporated into this game. Hell look at the PS2 days and how gimmicky and arcadey those games were (04 was pretty solid). They even had player differential done better than 12.

However, Gopher Guy I do think you are correct in that it may turn people away from the game. I also think it could turn many people on if they were to give us a variation of dekes and moves that we could pull off with top guys. I'm truly over the "everything on the right stick" control scheme. Don't get me wrong I love the controls, but they can add dekes in with using the buttons while still using the RS for shooting, stick handling, etc. Just my thoughts on the whole thing.

# 27 bwiggy33 @ 07/27/12 12:40 AM
Quote:
I'm fine with less skilled guys losing the puck easier than stars, but over complicating the controls for the sake of "player separation" ala 2k I'm sorry, I don't want to see it.
See I wouldn't even care if they added more moves like 2k, but it's the fact that the skill stick in place right now just sucks with the way it reacts to on ice play. Don't get me wrong the controls feel great but they aren't very good. If EA would just tune the stick handling so players don't reach out as far and players can't just toe drag at 100 mph it would be completely fine. What would be great is if a player tries to constantly stick handle at 100 mph they would lose the puck. Just something needs to be done to make it seem hard to keep control of the puck. Puck control in this game is only when you try and make a move using LB not with the actual stick handling part of it. That's why the puck control slider doesn't seem to work.

Ultimately what EA doesn't realize is that the really long reach that players have with stick handling in this game, is the result of many glitch goals. That's why breakaways are so easy and that's why once you drive around a d man all you have to do is extend your stick as far out as possible and it will beat the goalie 90% of the time.

# 28 JezFranco @ 07/27/12 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberaluser
I'm not hopeful of that. A few lower ratings aren't going to make players feel much different, especially since people can do that manually already for mixed results. New ratings aren't going to give star players unique animations or unique dekes. Or give the lower rated players clumsier animations to show the skill gap.

I'm more convinced that we will see noticable team strategy separation after altering each line slider manually. But individual players will probably skate the same and act the same as always.
I actually beg to differ...
I wrote a little mini essay about this in the sliders section earlier this year.

I was a bit tired of how stale NHL was after many hours put into it, and instead started a season in Elitserien (Swedish league) and it was a completely new game to be honest.

Granted, I also did the trick with deleting all tuner updates, and only used the latest patch combined with a "special" slider setting of acceleration 0/game speed 5, but it was clear that with more players and teams with lower ratings and overalls, the whole game felt sloppier, more dynamic, less scripted and... there's player separation.
Low rated guys dekes are slower than the few stars. Many low rated guys will loose the puck 7 out of ten times when doing the advanced dekes, fast players can outskate slower players... just like we've seen in some NHL 13 videos and it gets even more clear late in the game, when the players get tired.

Of course there are lots of stuff that needs to be fixed for NHL 13, but I think an easy first step to create player separation is to lower player ratings in general.

# 29 liberaluser @ 07/27/12 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezFranco
Granted, I also did the trick with deleting all tuner updates, and only used the latest patch
Why did you have to delete the tuner updates? I thought you could revert your game back to the original out of the box play anytime you wanted to.

Also, just how do you delete them while keeping the patch?

# 30 JezFranco @ 07/27/12 09:47 AM
Quote:
Why did you have to delete the tuner updates? I thought you could revert your game back to the original out of the box play anytime you wanted to.
Nothing official, but could be an issue with the tuners. Believe me, it's different to play with no tuners downloaded, than just choosing 1.00

Quote:
Also, just how do you delete them while keeping the patch?
Delete game data (not the saves). Then when you start the game again you can download the patch, but skip to download the tuner updates.
Check this old thread, it has all the info you need: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-supposed.html
Let's not hi-jack this one

# 31 bwiggy33 @ 07/27/12 02:05 PM
Quote:
Refining the skill stick to be more realistic I'd be 100% on board for, this ties into puck physics obviously. Less range of motion and more chance to bobble a puck if the player isn't skilled in stick handling.

There is a line in that as with anything else though, over do it and the game would end up with no flow, at the end of the day these are NHL players, if we get to a point where there's ample memory in these consoles to have 100% physics on everything, I'd love to see pucks hop on a player maneuvering in traffic etc. We're just not there yet though.
That's why we have the puck control slider. So we can tune it to what our own preferences are. I would like it to be dynamic each game where it can be sloppy or can be nearly flawless at times. Puck control is full out puck handling, not just when you tap LB to try and beat the D man or when you flick it up to miraculously hop over a defenseman. As I said before right now there is no puck control slider that actually affects how you stick handle. Every guy can stick handle super fast without losing the puck. It's when making those moves that are tied to LB where the puck control slider finally goes into affect.

This is not hockey. Hell how many goals are scored per year where a player will try and make too many moves and turn the puck over only to have the opposing team go down on an odd man rush and score? That happens all the time. If they add in a better puck control system we as players finally have to realize who has the puck. If Matt Kassian has the puck I better know to move it to a more skilled guy so I don't lose control and turn the puck over. Or I at least better know I can't try anything fancy and I better get the puck deep and go to work. Little things like this is the difference between players in the NHL. This isn't shown in NHL at all. It's not even about the different moves each player can make but it's about every player having the same control of the puck.

# 32 bwiggy33 @ 07/27/12 08:53 PM
Quote:
Sure, but you'd still need to have interaction between the stick and the puck 100% physics based to get it to play how you're asking, then you have to think well this would be realistic, but would it be fun in the end.

I'm all for making the puck looser and see more bobbles like 11 had. (I still think the reception ease slider is flat out broken is 12) On the other end of that I don't want to see NHL players all bobble the puck all day long every time they try and deke. There's a middle ground I'm sure they could attain.
Yep and I agree there has to be a middle ground to satisfy everyone. It should be tied to the puck control slider like I've stated a couple times now. It's pretty simple. If you want 100% puck control then you put the slider all the way up. If you want a really sloppy game (which I don't) you put it to zero. Realism is what I'm trying to get at. Honestly to me the games that balance sim/arcade are not that exciting to me. I am absolutely all for 80-90% of the game to be sim. That's just me and that's why I can continue to play The Show over and over and over again. Sure there are flaws with it, but ultimately it's the most realistic sports game on the market. I'm just hoping one day that the NHL dev team can give everyone a dose of what they want. If they like arcade, sim, or a little of both we should have that option. Right now arcade and a middle ground of arcade and sim are covered. What's missing is that next step up to a pretty close to sim game. Hopefully 13 can bring that.

# 33 bwiggy33 @ 07/28/12 03:04 AM
Quote:
I pretty much agree with this. I just think there's more to it than just the puck control slider. Then again I'm certainly no developer either.
No doubt there is more to it. I couldn't even begin to talk about developing because I have no idea what it takes but it just seems like something that couldn't be terribly hard to implement. Not to mention 2k but it is something that was in 2k8 and 2k10 where stick handling wasn't just automatic. Players would actually lose the puck if they tried to do too much. That's all I want to see. Stick handling is one of the hardest things to master in hockey, which is why the sport is so amazing. If it was easy than anyone off the street would play hockey. By playing NHL you just get the feeling that stick handling is super easy because any player in the game can do it.

Anyway we really got off topic so back to the trading interface....

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.