Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

Kotaku's Owen Good has posted his hands-on impressions of Beginner Mode in MLB 13 The Show. After reading his article, let us know what you think about the mode.

Quote:
... Beginner Mode grew out of developers' desire to chip away at The Show's intimidating reputation, not only to newcomers, but also to veterans who found some aspect of it difficult. This typically is hitting, an art that requires a ton of patience, something a video game experience rarely fosters.

With Beginner Mode turned on, you'll play a nine-inning game regularly. The pitchers' and hitters' behavior will be different depending on how far along you are in your progress. I was handed the controller to play Detroit versus the New York Yankees, switching sides between innings to hit against C.C. Sabathia (announced Thursday as The Shows second cover candidate, joining Washington's Bryce Harper) and Justin Verlander. You can apply Beginner Mode to any matchup involving any two teams.

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Armor and Sword @ 12/15/12 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
How about young kids that want to play a 'real' looking baseball game and not one populated by Mario or Sonic?
My son is almost 8, a baseball junkie (I coach him as well in LL) and huge fan of playing The Show 11 and 12. It took me a long time to teach him the finer aspects of playing this game and I also use it as a training tool for his development as a player.

We use The Show as our film study if you will. We use my hybrid slider set. The kid is hands down one of the smartest players on the field. He knows where to go with the ball before it is hit. A huge advantage at the LL level. Yeah I am a proud papa.

I am really pumped for this new mode so he can get coached by the game for pitch recognition. Although he is pretty good at it. Having the game teach him will be cool. Using the Show he has been able to take the fine art of hitting to the field by understanding how to go with a pitch, swinging late, making contact etc etc. truly awesome stuff and it made teaching him the game fun off the field when we have rainy days (which in South Florida can be often some parts of the year) or on days we do not practice.

So yes there is a purpose for this mode. I don't undertstand why anyone would have any hang-up about a tutorial mode?

Ridiculous!

# 62 Knight165 @ 12/15/12 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonadom
Don't you realize they make the game for a wide variety of people ? They don't just make the game for people who have been playin' it since 2008.
I've been playing The Show since 2005(and baseball games a LOT longer than that)(playing being a relative term in my case...but I do try)...and I still suck at hitting.
I swear ChrisSCEA put this in the game just to break my balls.

M.K.
Knight165

# 63 Armor and Sword @ 12/15/12 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I've been playing The Show since 2005(and baseball games a LOT longer than that)(playing being a relative term in my case...but I do try)...and I still suck at hitting.

M.K.
Knight165

The ultimate key to being a good hitter is working the count. It really comes down to that.

You get hitters counts....you get pitches you can groove.

# 64 mlblover15 @ 12/15/12 06:10 PM
This mode will be for those of us (Veterans or beginners) that have a hard time seeing pitches out of the pitchers hand. it will start with one pitch so you can get used to seeing what that one pitch does, then it will add locations, then once you have mastered that one pitch it will add another pitch until you can get the hang of that one once you have seen all the pitches and have mastered all of them it will start mixing it up with all the pitches...

currently batting practice has nothing on this at all.. i will be using this... if it can help me get off the use of guess pitch then hey all the better... i'm all in... there are several veterans of this franchise that have gotten tired of what is being called forced sim that this game offers.

why do you think everyone loved MVP for so long... it was fun, to a lot of people the series has lost its fun factor...

# 65 DickDalewood @ 12/15/12 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonadom
Don't you realize they make the game for a wide variety of people ? They don't just make the game for people who have been playin' it since 2008.
One of the many phenomena of OS... certain users believe THEY represent the majority opinion.

Thankfully, for the general gaming public, none of these forum members own or have any real say in our games. If they did, all of these companies would have been run into the ground by now for not trying to balance the sim crowd with the mass majority of users who just play for fun.

Kudos to SCEA for trying to widen their audience base and make their game more accessible to those who don't have hours a day to spend trying to perfect their videogame "skills".

# 66 bcruise @ 12/15/12 09:03 PM
Interestingly enough, this beginner mode progression seems very similar to something I do sometimes in batting practice mode when I'm slumping. It's not quite the same since BP can throw you any pitch in a guy's repertoire, but it's close. I start with contact or timing practice and just try to square up the ball. Then move on to recognition and start to identify the break in pitches (and to swing or not). And then discipline, which can throw you absolutely anything and is closest to a real game situation.

This mode seems like a simplified progression of something like that, and I definitely think it's a good idea for series newcomers. New players are going to want to jump into games and play, not spend hours in practice mode (and they may not even know all the different practice options that exist).

# 67 VonRye @ 12/15/12 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
One of the many phenomena of OS... certain users believe THEY represent the majority opinion.

Thankfully, for the general gaming public, none of these forum members own or have any real say in our games. If they did, all of these companies would have been run into the ground by now for not trying to balance the sim crowd with the mass majority of users who just play for fun.

Kudos to SCEA for trying to widen their audience base and make their game more accessible to those who don't have hours a day to spend trying to perfect their videogame "skills".
Exactly. Some people don't understand English and they think everything revolves around them. If the new difficulty level is beneath you, then DONT USE IT. I haven't purchased this game the past 2 years because of NCAA Football (playing it year-round). But I'm seriously considering getting it again just to see the changes since I last played.

# 68 Money99 @ 12/16/12 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoGotti
My thing about what Russell said newcomers wanting to hop right into the meat and potatoes, if there are pop ups in this mode during the game they aren't gonna read over the pop up and then continue.

They'll button mash faster than a NBA2k steal spammer trying to get off the page and continue playing. I don't see this mode being effective as the devs see it. They are just gonna play and not learn anything like before because they dont wanna read over pop up messages.

if there isn't going to be pop up text how else will it teach newcomers?

I think this is one last push to grab those poor 2k gamers.
I'm very interested to know how you've come up with this data?
Do you have an advanced copy of MLB 13 that you've shared with a large demographic to prove your findings?

Sorry for sounding like a douche, but you don't know how everyone will treat this mode.
I know for one that my sons will definitely use this mode and so will I.

Cheers!

# 69 mlblover15 @ 12/16/12 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA View Post
Beginner mode was not designed for veterans of the series who know how the play the game. It was created for two sets of people those who have never played and those who struggle mightily making solid contact hitting the ball and/or recognizing pitch types.

All the batting practice modes are still there but not very many people want to open a game and jump right into batting practice because they aren't that good. The vast majority of games don't want to do this they want to jump right into the meat and potatoes and play.

Beginner mode allows a user to do this, they get the play a normal 9 inning game and be eased into the hitting aspect while at the same time having fun. By the time a user graduates out of beginner mode we've (hopefully) taught them a thing or two about pitch recognition, balls/strike recognition and patience at the plate. The batting practice modes don't do this, hence the need for another approach.

It's actually very very necessary this new feature isn't really for anyone on this site. We do extensive post morterms with all types of groups of gamers and one of the most consistent thing we've heard the past three years is the game isn't very accessible.

Making rookie easier (which we have done two years straight) isnt' the answer it's just an easier difficulty setting. That's not the issue people are having hence why we designed a new mode to help ease (those who need it) into the hitting portion of the game.

The purpose of beginner mode is to teach someone how to hit by starting out with squaring up on a fast ball down the middle of the plate and gradually working into fast ball placement. Eventually working into pitch recognition ball recognition and pitcher tendencies. Making the game easier accomplishes none of these issues.

Now your comment about the resources you really have no idea what you are talking about here. It's December we choose to talk about specific things during this time and this year it's beginner mode. The design and art work needed for feature completion is minimal when compared to the work that was done to franchise and RTTS. That's not even taking into account the other features and improvements that haven't been announced yet.

The timing window across the board has been widened a decent amount. This change alone has really opened the game up offensively and we have tweaked other areas to help compensate for this so the game doesn't turn into MLB Jam. I don't know if you will need a hitter's eye mechanic. Having you be able to see the ball spin is something we've thought about for the past year it's just that ball is really really small as is. If we did do something like that it might be gimmicky but who knows maybe we will prototype something like that if people continue to struggle this year.

Movement types not this year the hitting was already hard enough and we didn't want to introduce anything that could make it harder but next year is a different story. Jeff (a.i. programmer who gave everyone the new ball physics) already has an idea for this area of the game. We aren't doing it this year but next is a different story.

hopefully this will clear it all up for all of you!!!!

# 70 authentic @ 12/16/12 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_21
I would rather see improved stadium models, lighting, and animations (fielding, throwing, running) than improvements to rtts(never used it) and other such features. but thats just want I want..
Yes, this mode obviously is one of the only additions this year. SMH, do people read? What did Russell say a page or two ago. I'll let you find out for yourself about other improvements he said would be made.

# 71 Bahnzo @ 12/16/12 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Well, considering you only play Manager Mode, I don't know why you'd be bothered with it to begin with?

# 72 Perfect Zero @ 12/16/12 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
Well, considering you only play Manager Mode, I don't know why you'd be bothered with it to begin with?
I've played for years and getting the swing of the hitting game down is tough. I'm still not where I want to be.

Look, you think you're the Second Comming; we get that. For the 99% of us who are mere mortals, this mode is a great way to get into the game.

# 73 tabarnes19_SDS @ 12/16/12 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_21
Im a little worried this year with ps4 around the corner and no competition from 2k
Don't be

# 74 mlblover15 @ 12/16/12 04:45 PM
Thought this little part of an article i was reading on the next gen systems was cool.....

"As for the rest of the specs, both systems are rumored to be using at least 2 GB of RAM, though many developers, including Crytek, Epic and Electronic Arts, are asking for at least 8 GB of RAM in either console. If the PlayStation 4 can meet this demand, we’ll see a large increase in visuals and objects on-screen, making the PS4 the go-to console for many gamers."

(found on playstation4.com)

# 75 Mabster @ 12/16/12 05:45 PM
Quote:
Hitting a baseball is supposed to be the hardest thing in sports to do.
Quote:
Hitting something with a stick is simple.
It's no surprise you invalidated your whole argument in two simple sentences.

I don't see how this feature isn't a good thing to include. Nobody is forced to use it and the option is there for people who do need it. Win/win.

It's not like SCEA used three quarters of the development cycle on this one new feature.

Baseball, real or video game, needs new fans added to its base to survive and prosper. Arguing against something that adds fans is like arguing for The Show to die. No thank you!

# 76 HustlinOwl @ 12/17/12 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevaliantx
Personally, I think that SCEA should have invested this time in getting the gameplay right. The obvious issues like pickoff throws by the AI (or complete lack of), the scheduling issues from last year, fatigue issues. I really do hope they also addressed the crowd (tiring and limited animations), and maybe even added a "one pitch mode" for those who like to move the games along faster or are into "manage only". Why keep adding new features, especially ones that the majority of folks will never use, when the core of the game isn't where it needs to be?
umm manage only is a mode the core does not use lmao

# 77 Money99 @ 12/17/12 10:14 AM
Quote:
Personally, I think that SCEA should have invested this time in getting the gameplay right. The obvious issues like pickoff throws by the AI (or complete lack of), the scheduling issues from last year, fatigue issues. I really do hope they also addressed the crowd (tiring and limited animations), and maybe even added a "one pitch mode" for those who like to move the games along faster or are into "manage only". Why keep adding new features, especially ones that the majority of folks will never use, when the core of the game isn't where it needs to be?
You really need to search for some of Russell's previous posts here.
He has noted, time and time again, that through their research, that the majority of people they talk with, or test with, have said the game is too hard.

I'm a big hockey fan (or used to be), and it took me some time to realize that EA will never make a hockey game I want to see because my opinion accounts for 10% (if that!) of the consumers out there.
A great majority of those that buy EA NHL games are casual fans that don't want the same game I do.

OS is a great place to discuss sports and sports games, but most of us are in a stark minority when it comes to the overall consensus of how these sports games should look.

It's still a business so you need to cater to the masses.
I think SCEA has actually gone over and above trying to appease the small sample group that OS represents.

# 78 Knight165 @ 12/17/12 10:53 AM
Quote:

If you're talking about the no pickoff throws in MoM.....it's a bug and I've let them know about it.

What are the fatigue issues?

...and they always work on gameplay...regardless of what else they do to the game.

M.K.
Knight165

# 79 thaSLAB @ 12/17/12 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
You really need to search for some of Russell's previous posts here.
He has noted, time and time again, that through their research, that the majority of people they talk with, or test with, have said the game is too hard.

I'm a big hockey fan (or used to be), and it took me some time to realize that EA will never make a hockey game I want to see because my opinion accounts for 10% (if that!) of the consumers out there.
A great majority of those that buy EA NHL games are casual fans that don't want the same game I do.

OS is a great place to discuss sports and sports games, but most of us are in a stark minority when it comes to the overall consensus of how these sports games should look.

It's still a business so you need to cater to the masses.
I think SCEA has actually gone over and above trying to appease the small sample group that OS represents.

Yep. If you (generously) figure half of the 240K or so OS members own a PS3/Vita, and very generously assume that every one of them are baseball fans and will buy the game; which figures to sell at least 800K copies, that still only accounts for roughly 15% of the total userbase.

# 80 HustlinOwl @ 12/17/12 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
Yep. If you (generously) figure half of the 240K or so OS members own a PS3/Vita, and very generously assume that every one of them are baseball fans and will buy the game; which figures to sell at least 800K copies, that still only accounts for roughly 15% of the total userbase.
glad to know Im not one of five people playing online

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-you-play.html

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.