Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

It's official. According to GameZone, we will not see a playoff format in NCAA Football 14. Producer, Ben Haumiller states, "The BCS will continue as the post-season format for all years of Dynasty."

Quote:
"We don’t yet have all the info about how the playoff system will work, including who will make up the selection committee and what their criteria will be for picking the playoff teams, and it’s our policy to not include anything in-game that hasn’t been approved and finalized by the NCAA," he explained. I wasn't told if a playoff system would eventually be patched into the game once all of the details are finalized; however, EA seems content with keeping the current BCS intact, at least for this year.

Source - NCAA Football 14 Will Use BCS For All Years Of Dynasty

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 cmilner2 @ 04/30/13 05:48 PM
It's probably just as disappointing to us as it is to EA to not have playoffs in the game. Hopefully once all of the details of the playoff system are set, EA will provide a playoff DLC

# 142 Colt45 @ 04/30/13 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
And then they have to most assuredly redo it for the next game once the parameters for choosing playoff teams are more clear. You surely understand how that - duplicating work - is a disaster from an operational standpoint, not just for Tiburon but for any company. It shouldn't be surprising that Tiburon chose not to go this route.
How hard could it possibly be to take the Top 4 ranked in their current BCS and make three games out of it? It can't be so much work that it is not worth it.

# 143 ACardAttack @ 04/30/13 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45
How hard could it possibly be to take the Top 4 ranked in their current BCS and make three games out of it? It can't be so much work that it is not worth it.
And on top of that, they could improve upon the code for next season instead and make sure there are no bugs

# 144 CM Hooe @ 04/30/13 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45
In isolation, no, it isn't hard.

In the context of a ten million line long code base and a AAA video game project where any additional feature requires weeks of planning and preparation, it suddenly becomes a much taller order to add any sort of tournament to the game in a bug-free manner, particularly given the extra variable of swapping between postseason formats midstream.

Making games is hard. It is Tiburon's job to make games, yes, but it is also Tiburon's job to manage their resources effectively.

# 145 DorianDonP @ 04/30/13 07:31 PM
Quote:

In the context of a ten million line long code base and a AAA video game project where any additional feature requires weeks of planning and preparation, it suddenly becomes a much taller order to add any sort of tournament to the game in a bug-free manner, particularly given the extra variable of swapping between postseason formats midstream.

Making games is hard. It is Tiburon's job to make games, yes, but it is also Tiburon's job to manage their resources effectively.
Respect your position, but again, I don't buy the "its too hard to do" angle. Certainly don't buy that this would be a mismanage of resources. Not from EA, a company that openly admits that they have a history of putting something in and taking it right back out the next year. Nope.

This is something that will be in college football for the foreseeable future. Getting started on it early isn't mismanaging resources, even if the first implementation has bugs. CC and studio updates had bugs. That doesn't mean you don't do them. All it means is you continue working to get it right. Work is part of the job.

I'll just put this out there that I know EA didn't have to put this in. They are not obligated. They have built in excuses for why they can hold off on it. But that's partly why it disappoints me to not see them go out of the way for the fans.

That type of stuff builds equity with the fanbase. The company that doesn't "HAVE" to do it, but does it anyway because they want to make the best game possible. When Madden put in the Texans, the expansion draft, and the new divisions a year BEFORE they had to, it was something the fans could cheer about. I'm sure it wasn't easy to make the game switch to new divisions in franchise midstream along with a new team, but guess what? EA did it anyway and people were thankful for it.

What's more, the franchise mode also takes into consideration the Houston Texans entering the league, enabling you to take over that franchise after the first year and taking part in the expansion draft or even import a created team into the league at that time. And if that's not enough painstaking details for you, Madden 2002 is the only football game that we know of this year that'll actually have the new division alignment that'll take place next year, so that there's an AFC North, South, East, and West and an NFL North, South, East and, West.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/08/...den-nfl-2002-7

Back when the company wanted to separate themselves from the pack, they went out of their way to give fans a great game. They could STILL do that with the little things that go a long way. Even if I think the gameplay is stale right now and can't be fixed until next gen, I would have appreciated the effort EA made by putting in the playoffs even though they don't technically have to do it. As of now, I doubt I'd be able to be immersed in a dynasty mode, because after year one, I'll be annoyed playing every other year with a BCS instead of what is really going on in the college football future.

As I said, EA could be building equity with the community instead of just doing enough to get by. The effort in the past gen was noticed. And on the flip, it's also noticed when they don't make the effort because "its too hard" or "we can do it next year" or whatever excuse is littered in this thread.

Sure they didn't have to do it. But that is obviously missing the point.

# 146 ACardAttack @ 04/30/13 07:58 PM
Quote:

They have to do it next year, might as well start on it and see how well it works out

# 147 CM Hooe @ 04/30/13 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
As I said, EA could be building equity with the community instead of just doing enough to get by. The effort in the past gen was noticed. And on the flip, it's also noticed when they don't make the effort because "its too hard" or "we can do it next year" or whatever excuse is littered in this thread.

Sure they didn't have to do it. But that is obviously missing the point.
It is my opinion that Tiburon working to build an enjoyable and detailed game for their target audience - doing fan service - and adding a playoff into the game are not mutually exclusive outcomes. Personally, the lack of a playoff in NCAA will not be a factor in my evaluation of it because there currently is no playoff.

I'm sorry if it ruins the game for you. You aren't obligated to buy it, and Tiburon isn't obligated to cater to every potential customer's demands and requests, however unreasonable or disruptive to their internal processes.

# 148 CM Hooe @ 04/30/13 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACardAttack
They have to do it next year, might as well start on it and see how well it works out
This is absolutely terrible software development practice. You don't throw stuff at a wall and hope something sticks. You plan it out, you do it once, and you do it right.

# 149 grabursock55 @ 04/30/13 08:15 PM
someone forward this thread to EA. Maybe it will change their minds! seriously...

# 150 DorianDonP @ 04/30/13 08:21 PM
Quote:
It is my opinion that Tiburon working to build an enjoyable and detailed game for their target audience - doing fan service - and adding a playoff into the game are not mutually exclusive outcomes. Personally, the lack of a playoff in NCAA will not be a factor in my evaluation of it because there currently is no playoff.

I'm sorry if it ruins the game for you. You aren't obligated to buy it, and Tiburon isn't obligated to cater to every potential customer's demands and requests, however unreasonable or disruptive to their internal processes.
EA isn't obligated to do a lot of things, including making a good game, and with that attitude, it's no coincidence why a good deal of their targeted audience considers this gen a failure.

You aren't making the game. You don't have to apologize. I already know my options as a customer.

Catering to "every potential customer" would be bad business. Fortunately, the option of a playoff in a college football game - which happens to be the single biggest addition to college football in more than a decade- doesn't qualify as that.

# 151 ACardAttack @ 04/30/13 08:22 PM
Quote:
This is absolutely terrible software development practice. You don't throw stuff at a wall and hope something sticks. You plan it out, you do it once, and you do it right.
Not saying you throw stuff at the wall and do it half assed...but the HAVE to do it come next year, instead of procrastinating do it now, and do your best to do it well...there will be a chance for bugs the first time you do anything, so it is a good learning experience...any issues they would have faced this year they would face next year

# 152 Colt45 @ 04/30/13 08:27 PM
Quote:

It's not like they just announced the tournament three days ago. They've had months to add it, and they KNOW that it is a big-time feature the community wants because it's brought up EVERY SINGLE YEAR. This would have been a MUCH bigger addition than "One Season Mode", and probably easier to accomplish.

# 153 DorianDonP @ 04/30/13 08:39 PM
The playoff has been announced for about 310 days. Long enough for a baby to be conceived and born.

# 154 K0ZZ @ 05/02/13 02:30 AM
The issue is, what happens with the BCS Bowls now? Would EA just have them fade out and rotate around? If I remember correctly the Rose Bowl will still have a Pac 12/B1G eligible matchup (without an at-large bid). It's not just the playoffs but the landscape surrounding it.

Not to mention, the Houston Texans addition is substantially different, if you were arguing the inability to inject teambuilder teams beyond season one, than you'd have a leg to stand upon. Having the teams showing up in different divisions post year one is much easier (and done through CC) than implementing a different post season system.

It won't be DLC, it's not coming this year. Drawing off The Show for experience, The Show didn't add it in through patch or DLC for the extra post season slot, it's unlikely to be done so in such a model and expecting it will just set you up for disappointment.

The product is representative of this season. Don't get me wrong, it would've been cool to have it in, but blatantly demanding it or thoroughly expecting it is a bit outside the realm of reason.

Speaking strictly on the business side of things as well:

It's a job and admittedly, if your on a time restriction (as NCAA is) why leap a hurdle for next season prematurely and spend your resources on something you'll have to refine once again next year when the details were firmly entrenched (namely bowl rotations) and getting it in effectively losing time for this release as well as next release?

# 155 ActLikeYouCrow @ 05/02/13 07:06 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...yoff-scenarios

^this guy had enough of those questions answered to where it could be implemented. i dont see how not being sure who will be the 2nd team picked in the fiesta bowl is an adequate excuse for not including the playoff, especially when those things are up in the air for some of the major bowls in the current system already.

the business model of it doesnt cost us anything to do nothing so thats our plan probably isnt acceptable to a consumer. like others have stated they didnt exactly accurately capture the ins and outs of the previous system, noone is expecting a perfect system, they want an improvement. we already have options in dynasty to change the bowl tie ins. keep the bcs standings, give us the added option of 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 for the major bowls and code in the winners to play in the national title game. yes its easier to say it than to actually do it, but its also easier to use a cop out and do nothing.

# 156 DorianDonP @ 05/02/13 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagopax
The issue is, what happens with the BCS Bowls now? Would EA just have them fade out and rotate around? If I remember correctly the Rose Bowl will still have a Pac 12/B1G eligible matchup (without an at-large bid). It's not just the playoffs but the landscape surrounding it.

What about them? The bowl tie ins going forward are already known. You can already edit the BCS tie ins anyway.

Not to mention, the Houston Texans addition is substantially different, if you were arguing the inability to inject teambuilder teams beyond season one, than you'd have a leg to stand upon.

No it's not. The argument being presented in this thread is that NCAA 14 represents the 2013 season and that's it. The counter argument was that EA put in something for Madden a year before the season it was representing happened. It's been done before. I don't even get your team-builder argument. Madden 2002 didn't have to put in the Texans. That season being represented was 2001. No Houston Texans and no new divisions. EA put it in there anyway.

Having the teams showing up in different divisions post year one is much easier (and done through CC) than implementing a different post season system.

It was more than just switching teams to a new division. The logic for scheduling had to be totally redone. The old divisions had some teams with six teams and some with five. All of the new divisions had an equal number of teams.

Writing code for an expansion draft - the first time it ever appeared in a football game - including the CPU logic of adding several players into the draft pool for every team, writing code for new divisions and the scheduling of those teams, as well as taking the time to put in a new team when all of the details about the team weren't set in stone (uniforms?) is a taller task than 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 in a neutral site.

Honestly, they could just hide the BCS rankings from the user year two and pull the top 4 teams from that poll logic and slot them 1 v 4 and 2 v 3, and it's not like any of us would know the difference.

It won't be DLC, it's not coming this year. Drawing off The Show for experience, The Show didn't add it in through patch or DLC for the extra post season slot

I personally agree that it won't be DLC, but not because of the Show. Two separate companies and two separate philosophies.

it's unlikely to be done so in such a model and expecting it will just set you up for disappointment.

I don't expect it. This gen has lowered my expectations.

The product is representative of this season. Don't get me wrong, it would've been cool to have it in, but blatantly demanding it or thoroughly expecting it is a bit outside the realm of reason.

I can respect that but I'll disagree with it being unreasonable to a customer. If it's a gamebreaker to not be able to sim past year one of dynasty with the immersion of up to date realism, then who am I to say they are unreasonable? This isn't something affecting one team or a new uniform. It's the single biggest change to college football, maybe ever. It's been signed into reality. It's not speculation or rumor. And it won't be in the only college football game on the market...for another year anyway.

Speaking strictly on the business side of things as well:

It's a job and admittedly, if your on a time restriction (as NCAA is) why leap a hurdle for next season prematurely and spend your resources on something you'll have to refine once again next year when the details were firmly entrenched (namely bowl rotations) and getting it in effectively losing time for this release as well as next release?

The bowl rotations are already in place. Why do people keep acting like details aren't known? The only thing legitimately unknown is who will be on the selection committee and how many people. Even the new logo has been decided.

EA should always be refining the game. Unless they follow the model of putting something in one year, taking it out the next, or never touching it again. NCAA 15 won't have the playoffs absolutely perfect. They'll be refining it for NCAA 16. Working on it the next year doesn't mean you mismanaged your resources the year before.

I remember the Texans in Madden 2002 had the wrong uniforms. Heck the helmet wasn't even the right color. Madden 2002 was released before the Texans actually unveiled their uniforms. EA had to change them for 2003. I'm glad that ultimately wasn't reason enough to leave the team out altogether.

Response in bold.

# 157 LousyJackRanga @ 05/02/13 08:11 AM
The way I see it is that they would never implement the college playoff system this year, when they intend on using it as one of the key selling points next year.

Jerks!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.