Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

According to Shopmaster at MyMaddenPad, not only will we see sideline and back of the endzone interceptions, we will also see a slight change in the way the camera rotates after interceptions.

GoMadden has posted the differences between NCAA Football 13 and Madden NFL 13 interceptions and the way the camera is handled. As you notice, in Madden NFL 13, there is a pause or freeze in the action as a pass is intercepted, then the camera rotates. In NCAA Football 13, there is no pause. Madden NFL 25 will go the non-pause route.

UPDATE: Shopmaster chatted with the developers and let me know that the screen does in fact freeze, during interceptions. It may have been the build he played, sorry for any confusion.

What are your thoughts on this?

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 tfctillidie @ 05/14/13 11:57 AM
I want to touch on the sim vs arcade "catering", as it's long gotten out of hand and you highlight why.

EA tries to implement a feature in a simulation fashion, it breaks in certain ways causing for unrealistic results. Gamers claim they are made an arcade game and lied to them.

A broken sim feature is does not make it an arcade one, it merely is a broken sim feature.

When the ability to run at sharper angles was introduced into Madden, was that "ARCADE" or "SIM"? I think it's easy to say being able to run in more directions is more alike real life than being more limited, yes?

Yet, this new ability was the birth of the dreadful arcade like "swerve running". So again, is this directional running upgrade now an "ARCADE" feature because it didn't hit the mark? Or is it an attempt at being more of a simulation of real life...but is simply broken?

As for the rest of the debate I don't think it's unrealistic that on next gen, multiple AI sets are impossible to have which would address your example.

I think the current gen hardware limits the AI more than people think, when I see other development studios discuss the PS4 capability and how the PS3 is always running 100% on their current games.

Time will tell I guess.

# 42 tfctillidie @ 05/14/13 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
I do not buy the argument that people will not play a realistic game for one minute. People will buy Madden for the same reason they do now, because it is the NFL. You think that will change because it more closely resembles what it's trying to recreate? Not a chance.

FIFA has tried to be more and more realistic and the sales go up and up. Ditto NHL. The Show's sales, likewise, have increased year after year. Battlefield 3 tried to be more realistic and it was the best selling Battlefield game ever.

I see absolutely no evidence that a realistic approach to Madden would result in lowered sales. I see only evidence of the opposite.

FIFA lost it's competitor for quite some time.
The Show's competition is literally slapping on 12 on top off 11, now 13 on top of 12.
NHL has none.

You can't just pass judgement stating "it's because they are trying to be more sim" as the explanation behind it all.

# 43 Only1LT @ 05/14/13 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfctillidie
I want to touch on the sim vs arcade "catering", as it's long gotten out of hand and you highlight why.

EA tries to implement a feature in a simulation fashion, it breaks in certain ways causing for unrealistic results. Gamers claim they are made an arcade game and lied to them.

A broken sim feature is does not make it an arcade one, it merely is a broken sim feature.

When the ability to run at sharper angles was introduced into Madden, was that "ARCADE" or "SIM"? I think it's easy to say being able to run in more directions is more alike real life than being more limited, yes?

Yet, this new ability was the birth of the dreadful arcade like "swerve running". So again, is this directional running upgrade now an "ARCADE" feature because it didn't hit the mark? Or is it an attempt at being more of a simulation of real life...but is simply broken?

As for the rest of the debate I don't think it's unrealistic that on next gen, multiple AI sets are impossible to have which would address your example.

I think the current gen hardware limits the AI more than people think, when I see other development studios discuss the PS4 capability and how the PS3 is always running 100% on their current games.

Time will tell I guess.
Run at sharper angles is more like real life? I'm not sure what you mean. If you are referring to the ability to change direction at the drop of a hat, not lose speed, not break momentum, and not lose balance is a broken sim feature, then I would say absolutely not. That is a 100% arcade feature. The feature was put in because the tourney players want to be in control of their player at all times, and because Tiburon is against realistic movement in general, and longer animations that can't be broken out of, in particular, which are necessary to convey, slowing down, loss of momentum, and loss of balance.

There is no way to make a game whose BASIS is unrealism, be realistic through the use of options. Options are looked upon as the champion of equality, but when the options are tied to how realistic a feature is or isn't, it becomes the bane of a simulation's existence.

There are no broken sim features in Madden. What is broken is the idea that they can make simulation out of a game with an arcade base, and think that it can be made more sim via options.

# 44 Only1LT @ 05/14/13 12:16 PM
Quote:
FIFA lost it's competitor for quite some time.
The Show's competition is literally slapping on 12 on top off 11, now 13 on top of 12.
NHL has none.

You can't just pass judgement stating "it's because they are trying to be more sim" as the explanation behind it all.
All those titles you mentioned ran their competition out of business AFTER they made the concerted effort to rethink their practice.

FIFA was second fiddle to PES. NHL was behind 2K's NHL game. The Show is a Sony exclusive that has eradicated a 3rd party title. Battlefield 3 has made the FPS genre a two horse race with Call of Duty and I predict that B4 will make even further inroads. Live is a kids game that was forced into exile by the realistic NBA2K.

You are only proving my point.

# 45 tfctillidie @ 05/14/13 12:41 PM
Quote:
Run at sharper angles is more like real life? I'm not sure what you mean. If you are referring to the ability to change direction at the drop of a hat, not lose speed, not break momentum, and not lose balance is a broken sim feature, then I would say absolutely not. That is a 100% arcade feature. The feature was put in because the tourney players want to be in control of their player at all times, and because Tiburon is against realistic movement in general, and longer animations that can't be broken out of, in particular, which are necessary to convey, slowing down, loss of momentum, and loss of balance.

There is no way to make a game whose BASIS is unrealism, be realistic through the use of options. Options are looked upon as the champion of equality, but when the options are tied to how realistic a feature is or isn't, it becomes the bane of a simulation's existence.

There are no broken sim features in Madden. What is broken is the idea that they can make simulation out of a game with an arcade base, and think that it can be made more sim via options.
I didn't think it was that hard to understand. I can't recall the specific last gen Madden, perhaps 03? 04? 05? One of them introduced the ability to run at a larger variety of angles than the previous editions.

In real life, we as human beings can cut and run into any angle we determine.

Thus, by adding the additional angles to run at, they are making the game more like "real life".

Simple conclusion, simple to understand.

Yet this ability to run in more directions, can be exploited by players with swerve running.

So again, is this addition now "arcade" because despite giving more realistic option in where you can move your player, it can be exploited as it's not perfect?

Are you trying to say EA put new directions in running, realized in testing they could "swerve" around and thought....yes, this is what we want! You really think "swerve" running is by design? That EA wanted players running S patterns up and down the field?

Quote:
All those titles you mentioned ran their competition out of business AFTER they made the concerted effort to rethink their practice.

FIFA was second fiddle to PES. NHL was behind 2K's NHL game. The Show is a Sony exclusive that has eradicated a 3rd party title. Battlefield 3 has made the FPS genre a two horse race with Call of Duty and I predict that B4 will make even further inroads. Live is a kids game that was forced into exile by the realistic NBA2K.

You are only proving my point.
I'm not proving your point because you aren't proving anything.

PES failed in developing this generation. This isn't about FIFA's "simness", they failed all by themselves with a very poor game and made FIFA the only option until just recently finding their legs. This doesn't conclude "FIFA being more sim = more sales". The more obvious point is "PES has been crap." There's many other conclusions that can be drawn, you merely take the one that fits and claim victory. Whatever.

NHL is the only option as 2K folded a couple years back, thus if you want hockey, you need to play NHL. This doesn't conclude "NHL being more sim = more sales".

etc.

/inb4 you twist the scenarios into something that fits your argument.

# 46 Only1LT @ 05/14/13 12:50 PM
Quote:
I didn't think it was that hard to understand. I can't recall the specific last gen Madden, perhaps 03? 04? 05? One of them introduced the ability to run at a larger variety of angles than the previous editions.

In real life, we as human beings can cut and run into any angle we determine.

Thus, by adding the additional angles to run at, they are making the game more like "real life".

Simple conclusion, simple to understand.

Yet this ability to run in more directions, can be exploited by players with swerve running.

So again, is this addition now "arcade" because despite giving more realistic option in where you can move your player, it can be exploited as it's not perfect?

Are you trying to say EA put new directions in running, realized in testing they could "swerve" around and thought....yes, this is what we want! You really think "swerve" running is by design? That EA wanted players running S patterns up and down the field?

I'm not proving your point because you aren't proving anything.

PES failed in developing this generation. This isn't about FIFA's "simness", they failed all by themselves with a very poor game and made FIFA the only option until just recently finding their legs. This doesn't conclude "FIFA being more sim = more sales". The more obvious point is "PES has been crap." Period.

NHL is the only option as 2K folded a couple years back, thus if you want hockey, you need to play NHL. This doesn't conclude "NHL being more sim = more sales".

etc.

/inb4 you twist the scenarios into something that fits your argument.

8-way running is NOT what makes the running in Madden unrealistic, nor is it responsible for swerve running. What is responsible for those two things is the fact that there is no footplanting, no slowing down to change direction, no loss of momentum, and no loss of balance.

Every game known to man has at least 8-way running in this day and age, from the sim to the arcade. That is a wholly separate issue from what makes Madden's running unrealistic.

De Nile is not just a river. You want to think that the shift in focus of those games has nothing to do with their position in the current landscape or of the demise of their competition... ok. Either way, you prove my argument.

You are saying that the reason that those games have sold more is because they have no comp and it doesn't matter what they do in terms of realism? Ok, Madden has no comp either, so making an ultra realistic game will, likewise, not negatively impact sales, because there is nothing else to buy. So again, where is the downside to making a realistic game?

You can't have it both ways. Either a realistic Madden will sell despite being too realistic because there's no comp, or a realistic Madden will sell BECAUSE it is realistic. Either way, make the game realistic. Period.

# 47 speedy9386 @ 05/14/13 12:50 PM
lol I don't understand this argument as you both seem to be talking about how unrealistic the running is.

# 48 hanzsomehanz @ 05/14/13 12:53 PM
This thread does not do your arguments justice:

Create a "sim vs arcade: debate" thread and let us espouse there.

I would love to jostle with you guys but not here.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

# 49 speedy9386 @ 05/14/13 12:53 PM
Btw tfctillidie you forgot about Live and 2k, 2k took Live out of business because it was more realistic aka sim

# 50 Only1LT @ 05/14/13 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
This thread does not do your arguments justice:

Create a "sim vs arcade: debate" thread and let us espouse there.

I would love to jostle with you guys but not here.

I could do that as well, but my original argument was on topic. The thread is discussing to freeze or not to freeze INT. I say take it out of the equation by not playing D from the O's perspective.

# 51 tfctillidie @ 05/14/13 01:00 PM
Quote:
8-way running is NOT what makes the running in Madden unrealistic, nor is it responsible for swerve running. What is responsible for those two things is the fact that there is no footplanting, no slowing down to change direction, no loss of momentum, and no loss of balance.

Every game known to man has at least 8-way running in this day and age, from the sim to the arcade. That is a wholly separate issue from what makes Madden's running unrealistic.
Why do you continue to focus on "what you want to talk about" when I'm asking you a question.

Is 8 way running not a simulation improvement over 4 way running? Footplanting is not part of the question, but part of the following point.

If you agree that 8-way running is more sim than the previous (if you can focus for a minute, that is), would you then agree that 8-way is NOT arcade, but merely is broken because it lacks footplanting?

Thus concluding they add sim features, which some are broken, and thus are broken simulation features. They are NOT arcade features, they were NOT designed so we could swerve around like idiots, that was NOT the intent.

Yet you sit here bellowing out "THEY ARE MAKING AN ARCADE GAME"

Quote:
De Nile is not just a river. You want to think that the shift in focus of those games has nothing to do with their position in the current landscape or of the demise of their competition... ok. Either way, you prove my argument.

You are saying that the reason that those games have sold more is because they have no comp and it doesn't matter what they do in terms of realism? Ok, Madden has no comp either, so making an ultra realistic game will, likewise, not negatively impact sales, because there is nothing else to buy. So again, where is the downside to making a realistic game?

You can't have it both ways. Either a realistic Madden will sell despite being too realistic because there's no comp, or a realistic Madden will sell BECAUSE it is realistic. Either way, make the game realistic. Period.
I'm suggesting that there are many reasons as to why these games have the sales result they do. I gave the competition example, you could factor in the reduced cost of consoles over time, you could factor into what the real life leagues are going through, etc, etc.

You are making concrete claims that it's because they are "more sim" without any legitimate proof to that.

It's merely one possible part to the equation and nothing more, but to support your argument you seem to believe it's the end all be all explanation.

# 52 hanzsomehanz @ 05/14/13 01:09 PM
Forward the debate here

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...d.php?t=629774

# 53 Only1LT @ 05/14/13 01:12 PM
Quote:
Why do you continue to focus on "what you want to talk about" when I'm asking you a question.

Is 8 way running not a simulation improvement over 4 way running? Footplanting is not part of the question, but part of the following point.

If you agree that 8-way running is more sim than the previous (if you can focus for a minute, that is), would you then agree that 8-way is NOT arcade, but merely is broken because it lacks footplanting?

Thus concluding they add sim features, which some are broken, and thus are broken simulation features. They are NOT arcade features, they were NOT designed so we could swerve around like idiots, that was NOT the intent.

I'm suggesting that there are many reasons as to why these games have the sales result they do. I gave the competition example, you could factor in the reduced cost of consoles over time, you could factor into what the real life leagues are going through, etc, etc.

You are making concrete claims that it's because they are "more sim" without any legitimate proof to that.

It's merely one possible part to the equation and nothing more, but to support your argument you seem to believe it's the end all be all explanation.

I've answered your question.

8-way running isn't a sim or non sim feature. It is a control mechanic. It is outside the scope of the game itself. It is no more or less sim than using a controller or a Wiimote.

I'm talking about the programming that interprets the input, not the input device used. They didn't implement 4-way running because it was arcade and they didn't implement 8-way running because it was sim. They implemented 4-way running because it made sense given the input device (D-pad) and changed it when the input device of choice changed (analog stick). This is not a feature of sim-ness anymore than a pressure sensitive button is or rapid fire is. The sim-ness or lack thereof is in the programming. Again, the deceleration, balance, momentum, etc.

There is more to support that a realistic game WILL sell than there is to support that it won't. I'll leave it at that.

# 54 Skyboxer @ 05/14/13 01:34 PM
Is it too late for EA to remove the pause? That was pure sweetness without the pause.
Glad we are seeing some things we've been wanted finally in. This "group" seems to be getting it so instead of saying "about time" and throwing in the negativity spin I'll just say, thanks.

# 55 speedy9386 @ 05/14/13 02:35 PM
Quote:

So are you saying that a sim approach isn't what you want?

# 56 roadman @ 05/14/13 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy9386
Btw tfctillidie you forgot about Live and 2k, 2k took Live out of business because it was more realistic aka sim
Actually, Live is coming back out, so, it's not out of business, yet.

# 57 speedy9386 @ 05/14/13 05:37 PM
True but point being that sim gameplay can still produce sales.

# 58 regroc88 @ 05/14/13 07:47 PM
bout Damn Time!!!!! 25 yrs to do something so simple!!!! Now put some Damn HeadSeTs on the Coaches!!! how the hell r they calling in Plays with no headSets!!! lol Real Talk!!!

# 59 speedy9386 @ 05/14/13 08:01 PM
Man what is up are they putting this defense video or what?

# 60 jeremyp1223 @ 05/15/13 07:05 AM
tbh, their has been a few times where the screen doesn't freeze on a pick, although Its probably a glitch.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.