Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

The NCAA Football 14 demo went live on Tuesday and most of you have already gotten some hands-on time with this year's game. Several of our writers have also logged in several games with opinions ranging from delighted to fairly disappointed. Read on to see our thoughts and let us know what you thought of the demo!

Read More - NCAA Football 14 Demo Impressions

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 seasprite @ 06/20/13 10:43 AM
My opinion mirrors Rob's take on it............for me, the pros outweigh the cons

# 2 SpartyParty11 @ 06/20/13 11:04 AM
The gameplay isn't too bad. Better than last year no doubt. But I had noticed the replays lag a bit and when they shows the fans, the 2D fans are under the 3D fans. And in one scene, the 3D fans were floating while my player was high fiving them.

# 3 AlreadyKnoJ @ 06/20/13 11:22 AM
I for one was disgusted with NCAA 13, and returned it within a week of buying it. However, I am impressed with NCAA 14, and will be copping first day no doubt. Hopefully, EA fixes those wack replay angles and make the crowd reactions more explosive

# 4 DirtyJerz32 @ 06/20/13 11:33 AM
Good talk guys. I love the demo and will continue playing it until release day. I'm still playing 13 due to an OD with some of my friends, but if I wasn't still in that I would never go back to 13. It just feels like EA got it right this year. I'll wait to play the retail version before I go any further. So far... job well done EA.

# 5 moneal2001 @ 06/20/13 11:44 AM
Is it just me or did Jayson Young just bash the game without giving any impressions. He talked about all that was wrong with the previous versions and dismissed the improvements.

# 6 michigan21 @ 06/20/13 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneal2001
Is it just me or did Jayson Young just bash the game without giving any impressions. He talked about all that was wrong with the previous versions and dismissed the improvements.
He mirrors what iv'e been saying for the past two weeks. After playing the demo a bit, I still feel this is a game, ncaa14, that we should have had two years ago or even last year. Hopefully in a few weeks the final full product gives us the payoff we've all been looking for.

# 7 The_Wise_One @ 06/20/13 11:59 AM
Although people talk about the big things, the little things are what surprised people.

# 8 thelasthurtknee @ 06/20/13 12:17 PM
why does everyone keep thinking that the next gen will fix things. thats obsurd. ive been around for every gen that has come out since NES. the NCAA move to ps2 was garbage until 04 which wasnt anywhere near 06 which wasnt anywhere near the versions that came out on ps2 once the ps3 came out. remember how good ncaa 08 looked? they used all the power for graphics and the game was complete garbage. all we had was a weather channel function. it hasnt got a ton better. but i bet next years ncaa(14) which im sure will be on both gens will be better on this gen. prob for a few years. thats the trend that we have had with ea for a long time. did the jayson guy even play the demo? not that i care but i have never read a review that didnt review. and yea i totally agree that this game should of come out along time ago. that ea should be in a 2year cycle. that ncaa on this gen has been really bad but slowly improving. i really liked last year but it had a game killer with the db issue. the run game and option was still a joke on 13. tackling looked terrible and oline interaction was the same on ncaa 02. those seemed to be fixed or better. and should of been fixed and better way back in 09. but thinking next gen is the savior it fooling yourself. it will take a few years if not 5 or 6 to really get it where it can be. same way on the other gens with ncaa and madden. and guys dont sell your xbox's and ps3's thinking that next gen will save your college football gaming. just some forwarning from a grey bush thats seen it all before. i guess jayson wasnt around for the last gen jump.

# 9 moneal2001 @ 06/20/13 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan21
He mirrors what iv'e been saying for the past two weeks. After playing the demo a bit, I still feel this is a game, ncaa14, that we should have had two years ago or even last year. Hopefully in a few weeks the final full product gives us the payoff we've all been looking for.
I get that. But bashing what was wrong with the previous games isn't giving impressions of the current game. the only impression he states is we should have had this game years ago. not informative or descriptive of the current game at all.

# 10 EMbow513 @ 06/20/13 12:23 PM
I love the run game and those hard cuts but I still hate the player models. Why can't player models be anything like madden? They look like ps2 models

# 11 Sundown2600 @ 06/20/13 12:37 PM
I am in utter shock. I have been very critical of this series, but this feels like a totally different game. Not nearly as twitchy and robotic as the games before it. It feels silky smooth.

On another note I still see some issues that would possibly prevent me from purchasing it. Played around with the QB accuracy slider and it did not seem to have much effect on the ball at all. I'm also still seeing the CPU make some questionable play calls, especially on defense. I called a hail Mary at the end of the 1st half in my Michigan/ Ohio St game and with 3 guys on one side of the field they all ran passed everyone except for the safety on that side. I believe the CPU blitzed as well but without the luxury of replay I'm not sure.

After all these years I can finally feel a bit of weight and momentum! Infinity 2.0 is a massive upgrade, but I fear the CPU playcalling will be another weakness in this year's game. I also fear the sliders will be screwed up again. I'll do some testing on the other sliders later.

Also the lag on the PS3 demo is inexcusable. Definitely a no buy if it remains in the retail version. The best thing I can say about this demo is that I can finally say I really have hope for next gen. I can only imagine how good Madden will be this year.

Edit: I'm also noticing a lot of sacks on CPU scrambling QBs because they still run up the middle rather than scrambling to the sidelines. Oh...and one more thing. Coordinator Cam is the bizness!!! Just like the old school classic cam. Just can't understand why it took so long to get it

# 12 mWolfe @ 06/20/13 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
why does everyone keep thinking that the next gen will fix things. thats obsurd. ive been around for every gen that has come out since NES. the NCAA move to ps2 was garbage until 04 which wasnt anywhere near 06 which wasnt anywhere near the versions that came out on ps2 once the ps3 came out. remember how good ncaa 08 looked? they used all the power for graphics and the game was complete garbage. all we had was a weather channel function. it hasnt got a ton better. but i bet next years ncaa(14) which im sure will be on both gens will be better on this gen. prob for a few years. thats the trend that we have had with ea for a long time. did the jayson guy even play the demo? not that i care but i have never read a review that didnt review. and yea i totally agree that this game should of come out along time ago. that ea should be in a 2year cycle. that ncaa on this gen has been really bad but slowly improving. i really liked last year but it had a game killer with the db issue. the run game and option was still a joke on 13. tackling looked terrible and oline interaction was the same on ncaa 02. those seemed to be fixed or better. and should of been fixed and better way back in 09. but thinking next gen is the savior it fooling yourself. it will take a few years if not 5 or 6 to really get it where it can be. same way on the other gens with ncaa and madden. and guys dont sell your xbox's and ps3's thinking that next gen will save your college football gaming. just some forwarning from a grey bush thats seen it all before. i guess jayson wasnt around for the last gen jump.
Ive been around since the Odyssey2 generation and that was a long time ago, I have seen leaps and bounds of better things done on the next generation console since then, to the not so great things done.

I can agree with all of them including Jason on what was done right and wrong on NCAA 14, my opinion is though it is far better than it was in 12 i skipped 13 and now looking to get 14.

What it needs though is ratings edited cause as far as I can tell some of the players are a little exaggerated in that area and I'm sure some of the problems in the game can be fixed by rerating the players. My only worry is though is if they patch some thing what will it break, but that we will have to wait and see.

# 13 BadAssHskr @ 06/20/13 12:51 PM
Quote:
the incredible upgrade in graphics and colors
i don't know what it is, but i'm just not feeling this part of what everyone's saying just yet. graphics are important to me for whatever personal reason, but there were times when playing '13 that i was amazed by how the player helmets looked, jerseys too on the closeups. it just hasn't popped for me yet on the demo, but like i've repeatedly said, for me, there is always an adjustment period with the leap between years.

i'm digging the game play. my problem is, with 3 min quarters, i can't really get my game on. seems like the cpu drives so fast, and by the time i'm getting anything established the ½ is already over.

also i get no thrill out of playing with other teams.

my wife is out of town for the night, and me, the dog and a 12pk of budweiser will be getting several hours of play time tonight, and with that said, i won't really enjoy it until i can get the Huskers under my control.

now that i've offered nothing to the thread, i'll shut up.

# 14 Jayfrancks @ 06/20/13 01:05 PM
Anybody else see the scene after a timeout where they show the trainers and the floating water bottles? Looks terrible. Maybe its just the demo...

# 15 EMbow513 @ 06/20/13 01:17 PM
I also wish the linebackers weren't so damn small like they are in ncaa 12-14. They look damn corners

# 16 BenGerman @ 06/20/13 01:18 PM
After we got done writing this, I noticed we had all reached pretty much the exact same conclusion: the series is not where it should be, but it's a fairly significant step forward that's a much larger than the jump we are used to at this point in the generation.

# 17 majesty95 @ 06/20/13 01:19 PM
I think the criticisms are unwarranted and I've been very critical of EA over the years. Sure, they could have done this a few years ago. But we have it now and it's light years ahead of last year. Is it perfect? No. It never will be. However, for the first time in years, I'm excited about the game from the demo. It's clearly going to be the best version this gen and one we've waiting a long time for. So enjoy it.

# 18 EMbow513 @ 06/20/13 01:25 PM
One other thing I love is oline and dline play. I love how the offensive line man can get driven back now

# 19 H4wduk3n @ 06/20/13 01:25 PM
Love the demo. And I actually enjoyed 13 despite some of the glitches. My fears are - over tuning by EA pre-release and if the release version will stutter on my xbox. 13 stutters a lot all during replays and sometimes cutscenes. Unsure if it is my 360.
I did get a ps3 last year so may get 14 for that. Hopefully ps3 graphics arent crap in the release version like they were last year vs 360.

# 20 woodsmall12 @ 06/20/13 01:50 PM
Thing is we all have our own opinions and expectations as to what we like and don't like and what we really want to see ... for some people, the game will just never be good enough ... for others like myself, I am just happy to have a game to play for the sport I love ... there is not one game out there that has ever been made without some kind of flaw ... if you want to complain abt the game, then do something about it, get back to school to develop games, and then do exactly what you want to do with YOUR game ... then once you release it, listen to a certain share of your fan base rip it apart ... its just the nature of the beast

Now onto my demo thoughts ... lol

- The game play definitely feels more organic ... watching the QBs scramble, juke, dip n dive is actually pretty cool ... and I have seen QBs scramble towards the sideline and cut up the field contrary to what some other posters have mentioned ... I blitzed Gardner from both sides and he actually started to scramble backwards before taking the sack which seemed more real life to me

- AI seems like it plays better ... at least more competitive at this point

- The run game is fun again ... like the runner avoidance so you are not crashing into people ... watching players cut and tilt is a nice, slight welcome change

- Enjoy the new animations ... nice change of pace and good to see player reactions ... also when you pump up the home crowd you can hear the crowd get louder

- Love the bone jarring hits ... adds another level of excitement and trash talking when playing with your buddy

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.