Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

Throughout the Madden franchises' history, there have been a lot of feature which were hotly debated.

Few generated quite the uproar that the vision cone did when it was implemented in Madden NFL 06. The 'QB Vision Control' feature was polarizing, with people on either side giving numerous reasons why the cone was or was not the game-changing feature the franchise required.

For those who don't remember, the vision cone featured a cone of light on the field of play which denoted the QB's vision of the field. Better QBs had a very wide cone, which covered most of the field. Worse QBs had very narrow cones, giving the better QBs a clear leg up in the game.

However, controlling the cone with the right stick while moving the QB with the left stick proved too much for some gamers. Others simply hated the look and/or implementation of the feature.

With such a polarizing presence, the vision cone was scrapped entirely with no attempts to revive it or anything similar within the series since it's disappearance.

Where did/do you stand on the vision cone debate? Should it make a reappearance as a required feature within the game?

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 LILNICB15 @ 08/06/13 06:09 AM
It was a cool concept now that I look back at it, I never used it because I was young and couldn't understand why my qb couldn't throw to someone that was across his body. Lol silly kids.

# 42 infemous @ 08/06/13 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
It needs this or a throwing meter.
THANK YOU.

All we need is a meter, or a gauge, that can be toggled on and off with set standards and trajectories for every minute element on the gauge. The ratings affect each end result and it is up to the user to adapt and make very accurate throws... DEPENDING on the rating.

With regards the vision cone, I never played 06 (was happy with 03 until 2010) and therefore can't comment but its such an eye sore... if it was implemented with a hiding of the buttons for the receivers downfield until you manually looked at them, or clicked onto them, and came with the QB actually moving his head, I'd embrace it.

# 43 PJ33 @ 08/06/13 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodymore
One way to implement it would be to require selecting a button twice to throw. The first click is basically telling the quarterback to look at the X receiver then next button click would actually throw it to that reciever. You could also have it where the primary reciever in the route only requires pressing the button only one time. You could maybe delay the response time between the clicks for lower rated passers.
Or you could do like Tecmo Bowl where you switch between receivers one at a time.

# 44 videlsports @ 08/06/13 09:20 AM
I liked the Vision cone, It made a difference In QB's besides Accuracy, I have to give EA it's due on this Feature I would like it back actually

# 45 splff3000 @ 08/06/13 10:49 AM
The vision cone is the single most sim feature ever implemented into Madden IMO. It literally changed the way you have to play the game. You had a BIG advantage if you knew which receiver was gonna be open before the snap. I learned how to read defenses PRESNAP because of this. Before the vision cone, I used to snap the ball and just read the defense on the fly, but you were gonna have a hard time if you played like that all the time with the vision cone. So myself and others had to adjust how we play the game. I definitely wish it would be brought back in some form or fashion.

# 46 TreFacTor @ 08/06/13 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidraindrops08
You could have just turned it off? Lol
You couldn't turn it off on All Madden.

# 47 TalenT @ 08/06/13 11:24 AM
If you like realism I don't see how you can justify not liking the cone. All the things a real QB has to do you had to do with the vision cone. QBs have to look at the receiver before throwing and some QBs have better vision than others right? On offense, being able to look off safeties was awesome and on defense, reading the QBs "eyes" was pretty cool too. I think it just became too hard for users but just like anything new you just have to get used to it.

# 48 SageInfinite @ 08/06/13 12:02 PM
I just felt like it was clunky and the flashlight looked goofy. Loved the concept but hated the implementation. IMO steering a qb's vision was just as "videogame" as anything else. A qb looking and turning his head is instant, he doesn't have to steer. Again love the idea of trying to add vision and a new mechanic to being a quarterback, but it needed refinement.

# 49 Tsuki @ 08/06/13 12:23 PM
Shot Stick(2k) Skill Stick(NHL) Vision Cone(Madden)

All game changing sim oriented features based on all factors of a player ratings, opposing players ratings, and users knowledge of the controls.

Most of us hated the shot sick in 2K but the developers knew the importance in simulation the feature had and made us adapt we soon grew to love it.

Some of us found the skill stick to be more complicated then pressing "deke" but the developers knew the importance in simulation the feature had and made us adapt we soon grew to love it.

LILNICB15 made a point that some of us were kids at the time of it being released and not understanding the dynamics involved with a QB's progression.

Any feature that makes people go into the practice mode for hours to learn and individual players abilities and controls with that said feature should be applauded in the community.

Every players release in 2k wont be as smoove as Kobe's so learning how others release for everytype of shot is important. I know people who can take over with a ben gordan, steph curry, dirk, or shawn marion just by release knowledge alone that was acquired from PRACTICE with the shot stick which SHOULD REWARD THE PLAYER.

Not every player skates or handles the puck like datsyuk. So it is important to know that you can't dangle the D with jimmy hayes persay. BUT you can practice with that said player understand what they are capable of despite not having the high control or skating ratings and find a way to be effective once again REWARDING THE PLAYER FOR PRACTICING WITH THE FEATURE(skill stick).

If the vision cone were to return it does not mean if your favorite team is the bengals andy dolton is automatically ineffective. No feature should make you afraid to play with other teams simply because their weakness is a QB with low awareness. This just means that as the bengals user you gotta get in PRACTICE and learn how to cope with his cone. Find which plays work for him which receiver sets are best in any situation. Take that another step into Franchise Mode and knowing you played a couple of seasons with dolton and adapted to his ablities based on stats you the USER should be REWARDED for his AWR and passing ratings increase.

In my sports gaming experience I have learned that no team is really "weak" no player is really "useless" as long a simulation features give the user a chance at understanding how to adapt along side the feature and that players ratings in sometype of way.

# 50 Gorilla Glass @ 08/06/13 12:24 PM
Another problem I had with the cone is it represented the QB awareness, if I'm taking control, my aawareness is suppose to. The flashlight then impedes on my awareness and was annoying.

It was a gimmick, because they couldn't get the AI right-tight.lol

Maybe if they brought it back invisible or something, but the casuals wouldn't like it and step on some pockets.

# 51 Gorilla Glass @ 08/06/13 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick589
The logic that user awareness should out weigh player awareness is one argument I can understand against the vison cone.

However the user awareness should be that he knows how narrow or wide his qbs cone is, he knows his qbs throw power and accuracy and he uses them accordingly and effectively.

My user awareness should not be able to make Chris Weinke a hall of fame qb lol
Agreed. That's why awareness of all 10 men should play into the QBs (me) decision making.

The cone was originally an illustration tool used by ESPN. They guessed what the QB saw and guessed why. There is a chance that all QBs see the samething, but just lack confidence to make certain throws. That shouldn't impede on me while I'm at the helm.

The cone was not needed because all of us see the TV screen differently. I can anticipate a play based on years of experience playing Madden. I have my own cone.

# 52 cdon2k @ 08/06/13 01:26 PM
The cone was a decent idea, but failed in two major ways.

The first was the cone actually backfired and made the opposite of the desired result. It made bad QB's better than good ones. I'll explain how this happened. When a QB had a receiver in his vision, the defense (Safeties) drifted towards the WR. A QB with poor awareness (resulting in as small cone) could stare down a WR drawing the defense to him, say on the left side, and then R2 quick shift his small cone back to the #1 WR on the right for a more open target. QB's with high awareness like Peyton Manning, could not do this as their cone covered the whole field, so he, ironically, could not look off a defender as mentioned.

The second issue with the cone is that the light represents the QB's vision. As you play, you either use the left stick or the R2 button to scan around the field. The issue with that is, that as a user, your eyes are already scanning around the field, looking for an open WR as you play. So you do the progressions with your own real eyes, and then control the QB's virtual eyes to make look at the WR. That results in a double progression, which is a pretty big issue. If they wanted to leave it in as an option as a game mechanic to add a level of difficulty, I would be fine with that, but issue #1 needs to be figured out and fixed.

# 53 Gorilla Glass @ 08/06/13 01:43 PM
I can't remember the year, maybe Madden 08, but when you played with a bad QB, it was pick city.

I specifically remembering that you had to pass lead more inside and out with passes. What happened with that? Can anybody help me?

# 54 ven0m43 @ 08/06/13 01:54 PM
I would like to see the next gen madden bring back this feature; where the ps3 eye and xbox1 kinect tracks your eye and the cone moves to where you're looking.

# 55 Mauer4MVP @ 08/06/13 02:25 PM
In theory, it was one of the best features Madden has come up with. It needed to be easier controlled though.

I'm not sure what the solution would be.

Have control stick still be fore the cone except when ever you push it, it locks on to an area where a receiver is (because quarterbacks should know the running routes).

# 56 TDenverFan @ 08/06/13 02:38 PM
Loved the cone, but I hated how small the vision for some backups were. If they were just marginally bigger, but still small enough that the best QBs had a significant advantage, this would be great.

I'd love to see this in NCAA, too. Playing on the road in Happy Valley, and you put in a freshman? That cone better be tiny

# 57 jyoung @ 08/06/13 02:42 PM
As a Titans fan who played a lot of Madden 06, Madden 07 and Madden 08 on the PC:

Vince Young with the vision cone = awful
Vince Young without vision cone = best QB in the game after Vick and McNabb

That right there is all you need to know about why the vision cone should still be in the game, at the very least, as an option you can toggle on/off.

The vision cone helped bring bad QBs back down to reality instead of the way Madden is now where any QB can be an all-pro in the hands of a skilled player.

# 58 Iceman87GT @ 08/06/13 04:34 PM
Loved this thing, It required you to read the defense before the play and determine your checkdowns. You had to know who you were going to try and go to and you made your progressions. It also made Awareness a relevant stat for player controlled QBs. I loved selecting a receiver before the play with the intention of then shifting it to my real intended target, you could actually look off the receivers.

It was so cool to be forced to change how I approach the passing game after Brett Favre retired, Rodgers hadn't progressed very much in that first year (Couldn't get Favre to last past the 1 season, despite the fact that he played 2 more seasons for the Packers in real life), but I saw a gem of a QB in the draft class and traded up to get him. His awareness was garbage but he had improvising speed (like Big Ben), and his Throw Power and Accuracy were in the 90s (one was 91 the other was in the upper 90s I forget which was which, its been awhile).

In terms of my QBs arm things didn't change much, but the new QB could really only focus on 1 player at a time, where as Favre could focus on about half the field at a time. It required me to be even more deliberate with my planning, I had to be quicker with my decisions, and had to be more aware of my surroundings.

Flashforward to Madden 08 on the PSP, I'm playing it during the pregame (or maybe it was halftime) at a Super Bowl party, I'm training Jared Zabranski (Boise State QB in that Fiesta Bowl comeback), and I ask a friend who knows his football if I should spend any points on awareness and he asks me "is there a vision cone?" I reply no, and he says don't worry about it then. Because when you are controlling a player Awareness is a non-factor, you should only work on your QB's awareness if you plan on simming games.

I didn't mind the fact that it messed with the presentation aspect, because the mechanic added more realism to the game than the presentation (even sans cone) did.

I would love to see them re-introduce this as an option, don't make it the default, but allow us to use it if we want in the various modes.

# 59 brettmickey @ 08/06/13 08:55 PM
I was only 12 when the Vision Cone was implemented and of course I turned it off after a game or 2 and never went back to it. Now, I would LOVE the challenge/ability to control where my quarterback is looking in order to draw the defense into certain areas of the field and look them off. I didn't understand progressions at that age so it didn't register to me how much it added to the realism (and I was using JP Losman who didn't exactly have the biggest cone so I became frustrated with it). Now I wish they had the option to turn it on or off so everyone could choose to use it or not.

# 60 A_New_Classic @ 08/06/13 09:32 PM
I liked the cone, it should at least be an optional feature...doesn't seem like it would be that hard to add in either so there really isn't a reason not to have it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.