Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

EA Sports has posted the top rated defensive players in Madden NFL 25. Below are their overall ratings. The full defensive ratings will most likely arrive on Tuesday.
  • Defensive Line - J.J. Watt (99) Wake (97) Atkins (97) Wilkerson (96) Ware (94)
  • Linebackers - Miller (97) Willis (97) Smith (95) Matthews (95) Briggs (94)
  • Secondary - Revis (97) Sherman (96) Weddle (96) Tillman (95) Byrd (95)
Just in case you missed them, here are the ratings for every offensive player in Madden NFL 25.

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 BuildableAuto @ 08/20/13 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R9NALD9
Which Smith LB is 95? If that is Aldon, as much of a 49ers fan that I am, that would be a crime to humanity. Way overrated if he is 95...a 90 would be much more realistic.

EDIT: Just watched the video and it is Aldon. That's not right. Justin Smith is a much better player than him.

Plus Von Miller just as good as Willis...sorry that's not right either.
Aldon Smith had 19.5 sacks last year, and you think 95 is too high? You're crazy, Aldon is one of the top DE/OLB in a long time.

# 42 Find_the_Door @ 08/21/13 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildableAuto
Aldon Smith had 19.5 sacks last year, and you think 95 is too high? You're crazy, Aldon is one of the top DE/OLB in a long time.
Good pass rusher - however when Justin Smith's not around he's not nearly the threat, and also not very well rounded either.

# 43 TheKingOfVa @ 08/21/13 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettmickey
Anyone with two eyes would tell you that the NFL top 100 is an absolute joke of player rankings even if players are the ones voting. I would never cite the NFL top 100 in any argument. Anyways back to the discussion regarding where Peterson stands among his fellow corners:

I feel as though DeAngelo Hall is a fair comparison to Patrick Peterson. They have identical play styles and similar tendencies. Both corners trust their elite athleticism to make plays. Sometimes, they come away with an interception or pass break-up. Sometimes, they miss or can't recover. And it isn't a knock on Peterson at all! Hall has 39 career interceptions and is a former pro bowler. Both of them have/had elite athleticism even for NFL standards. Neither of them have the cover ability/ technique of Darrelle Revis or Richard Sherman or Champ Bailey.

As for your argument about Arizona's #2 pass defense, one reason their pass defense is so high is because opponents didn't have to pass on them to succeed. Giving up 137 yards rushing per game (28th in the NFL) allowed teams to keep the ball on the ground and avoid turning the ball over through the air.

I look forward to your reply or anyone else's argument for/against Patrick Peterson.

That point is moot because they had the number 2 overall pass D DVOA, I wasn't going off of pass yards. Read what DVOA is and how it works. It's an advanced metric and accounts for everything.

# 44 TheKingOfVa @ 08/21/13 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
So dude starts out building his argument around "all the advanced metrics and statistical analysis have Peterson ranked as a top corner" but when a poster immediately mentions Peterson's rank at 18th he shifts his argument to how young Peterson is. Gotta love it.

Homerism is a serious disease and what is worse is that more than half of those inflicted are not aware of their homer status. Get tested and help spread awareness so we can combat this disease plaguing so many.

Read my whole post not just segments. Peterson being ranked 18th in that metric doesn't account for him moving all over the field being assigned to the best wr on the field without great help in the secondary. Corners like Richard Sherman don't have the added responsibility of Revis and Peterson. Sherman only plays one side of the field regardless of the match up. Plus Sherman has the most secondary help in the NFL. If Peterson was allowed to just play one side of the field with elite secondary help then he would be higher in that metric.

Anyone who has played football at the high school, college, or pro level knows that it takes a special player to match up to the top wr all game. If it was easy to do then every corner in the NFL would be doing it. I stated his age so the poster would realize how amazing it is for a corner to be a 2 time pro bowler at age 22. Peterson might have been the first ever to do that. Imagine how good he will be in 5 years when he will only be 27-28.

# 45 TheKingOfVa @ 08/21/13 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batum Shaka Laka
Good pass rusher - however when Justin Smith's not around he's not nearly the threat, and also not very well rounded either.
Once J Smith got hurt, Aldon Smith's sack numbers disappeared. I agree, he shouldn't be rated that high.

# 46 Gorilla Glass @ 08/21/13 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildableAuto
When Smith left he drew double teams, so his numbers settled. He is worthy of a 95. His pursuit should be high as well

# 47 DeuceDouglas @ 08/21/13 12:51 AM
These players ratings threads are always grade A material. Laughs for days.

# 48 No Wayy Andre @ 08/21/13 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano
Weddle 96?

He is solid, but 96 is Troy Polamalu, Bob Sanders in their
prime type of rating. Solid player but I think 96 is too high
I'm gonna be accused of being a major homer here, but really dude? If you watched any Chargers games in the past 3 years you'd know that not only has he been the best player on the team during that span, he's also one of the best at his job. His instincts are unrivaled at this point in the game. I think anywhere between 94-97 is perfect for Weddle.

So many people haven't recognized what he brings to the table; it's unbelievable. Not that the ridiculous NFL.com Top 100 matters, but it was a travesty that he didn't even crack the list. He has been the lone bright spot on the team and is the leader of that defense.

Sure, Weddle isn't super athletic or anything but he is consistent and seems to be around the ball a lot. He deserves to be one of the best DBs in the game because he certainly needs more recognition.

On another note, Wilkerson seems way too high. I did a double take when I read that he is a 96. I would say 92 tops because he still needs to prove he can be consistent. I like him and understand that 3-4 DEs like him don't get a lot of attention, don't get me wrong, but 96?

# 49 Bgartz29 @ 08/21/13 08:11 AM
Quote:
You're obviously biased. Peterson ranked 18th in coverage on Profootballfocus.com

Coverage has never been his strong suit - his athleticism is his strength - the craft of the position is his weakness without question. DeAngelo Hall is a very fair comparison because if he doesn't work on his craft he'll end up like Hall around Halls age as he'll lose a step in the athleticism. We've already seen Dez beat him like a drum in preseason like Dez does Hall year in and out - a foreshadow perhaps?
Hey now, if I remember correctly I'm pretty sure Hall shut down Dez in the NFC East play-in game last year. :P But yes, for the most part Hall get's burned a lot.

# 50 Find_the_Door @ 08/21/13 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgartz29
Hey now, if I remember correctly I'm pretty sure Hall shut down Dez in the NFC East play-in game last year. :P But yes, for the most part Hall get's burned a lot.
Last year he did a admirable job in the last game, but in years past he's always had Halls number.

# 51 Gorilla Glass @ 08/21/13 08:34 AM
Quote:
Last year he did a admirable job in the last game, but in years past he's always had Halls number.
Dez Bryant had one good game against Hall in 2012. He didn't break 100 yards against him in his existence in the NFL any other time before and after that.

# 52 Ice_Cold345 @ 08/21/13 08:50 AM
I love reading the overalls that Madden puts on people because I just laugh on overrated they are. Aldon Smith is really overrated in his overall. He's an elite pass rusher as a LB, but as a pass defender, he's mediocre in pass coverage. Just being at one thing doesn't make you a great player. It's like saying Dwight Freeney is a great OLB, when he is just great at rushing the passer.

Madden should really use FBG's ratings as a helpful guide and not just look at stats, because it's pretty obvious that's what they do, just look at stats alone. It's been asked forever but I doubt we will ever see this "Czar" (that's an insult to any Russian Czar, Moore isn't good at what he does.) think about how players really are, from scout information and what not.

I just wish 90s wasn't used as the guys who are most popular with good stats. 90s should be reserved for guys that are HoF caliber players that have an all around play at their respective positions and are in their prime of their careers. Being good at one thing doesn't make you a great player at your position (A. Smith being an elite pass rusher doesn't make him a great OLB, he lacks that pass coverage skill.) Because I could say JaMarcus Russell should be higher rated because he has a cannon for an arm, but it's everything else that should be added up that makes a player elite, not just being good at one particular thing.

# 53 Gorilla Glass @ 08/21/13 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Cold345
I love reading the overalls that Madden puts on people because I just laugh on overrated they are. Aldon Smith is really overrated in his overall. He's an elite pass rusher as a LB, but as a pass defender, he's mediocre in pass coverage. Just being at one thing doesn't make you a great player. It's like saying Dwight Freeney is a great OLB, when he is just great at rushing the passer.

Madden should really use FBG's ratings as a helpful guide and not just look at stats, because it's pretty obvious that's what they do, just look at stats alone. It's been asked forever but I doubt we will ever see this "Czar" (that's an insult to any Russian Czar, Moore isn't good at what he does.) think about how players really are, from scout information and what not.

I just wish 90s wasn't used as the guys who are most popular with good stats. 90s should be reserved for guys that are HoF caliber players that have an all around play at their respective positions and are in their prime of their careers. Being good at one thing doesn't make you a great player at your position (A. Smith being an elite pass rusher doesn't make him a great OLB, he lacks that pass coverage skill.) Because I could say JaMarcus Russell should be higher rated because he has a cannon for an arm, but it's everything else that should be added up that makes a player elite, not just being good at one particular thing.
Agreed. He is a good pass rusher only. I wonder what his zone and man coverage stats are?

Curious to what you think about Lawrence Taylor? He sucked big time in coverage, you think he is elite?

# 54 Ice_Cold345 @ 08/21/13 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Glass
Agreed. He is a good pass rusher only. I wonder what his zone and man coverage stats are?

Curious to what you think about Lawrence Taylor? He sucked big time in coverage, you think he is elite?
As a pass rusher, yes, but I wouldn't want to have him in pass coverage that often. I would have him play DE on normal plays and when exotic blitzes are coming, I would move him back to OLB. Granted, I would have him in pass coverage sometimes to keep the defense modest, so they won't know if he's blitzing or dropping back, but I would try to prevent him from being in pass coverage as much as possible because it would be a waste at what he's good at and not be liability on the field.

# 55 BFem09 @ 08/21/13 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtswag187
If Richard Sherman is a 96 then Patrick Peterson is a 95, just sayin
Sherman is way better than PatPete

and I love PatPete.

# 56 DirkJesusNowitzki @ 08/21/13 10:55 AM
Any word on when the defensive excel chart is coming?

# 57 illmatik @ 08/21/13 11:40 AM
Quote:
You're obviously biased. Peterson ranked 18th in coverage on Profootballfocus.com

Coverage has never been his strong suit - his athleticism is his strength - the craft of the position is his weakness without question. DeAngelo Hall is a very fair comparison because if he doesn't work on his craft he'll end up like Hall around Halls age as he'll lose a step in the athleticism. We've already seen Dez beat him like a drum in preseason like Dez does Hall year in and out - a foreshadow perhaps?
This might be the most ridiculous comparison I've ever seen. I've watched DeAngelo Hall since I was in high school when he played at Deep Creek and I've played against Patrick Peterson at 7 on 7 camps and in college. In terms of his game, Patrick Peterson is still raw in some aspects but he's a Top 10 corner on this league right now. If you put him in a man cover scheme like Revis and Cromartie are playing right now, hands down he'd be top 3, but the fact he plays in a heavy zone blitzing scheme under Ray Horton hinders him a tad.......and he's still top notch, that's scary. At the worst he should be compared to Charles Woodson because their games are similar. DeAngelo Hall doesn't even rely on athleticism (which isnt in Peterson's category btw), he always gets caught trying to anticipate play and sitting on routes rather than doing his job. To be honest the only game when I saw Patrick Peterson get worked was against the 49ers last year by Michael Crabtree on MNF

# 58 StreetCarp @ 08/21/13 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Glass

Lawrence Taylor might possibly be the best defensive player of all time. Aldon Smith had one monster year doing the same thing over and over again.

# 59 Gorilla Glass @ 08/21/13 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetCarp
Lawrence Taylor might possibly be the best defensive player of all time. Aldon Smith had one monster year doing the same thing over and over again.
I think so, but the knock on him is he got abused in coverage and constantly went up against TIght Ends and running backs. His Defensive Ends demanded double teams which matched him against mediocre blockers.

# 60 Hellcat3 @ 08/21/13 05:21 PM
Padsta Padre has top 8 of each defensive position on his FB...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.