Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

The settlement total for EA and the CLC in their part of the college athlete likenesses lawsuits which brought an end to the NCAA Football series is valued at $40 million according to the NY Times.

The settlement affects 125,000 current and former college basketball and football players and ends up averaging just about $320 per player -- which is still too high given the presence of lawyers fees and such which would lower the total payout per player.

The total monetary number is actually quite a bit smaller than you'd expect, and much smaller than if the case had actually gone to trial. From a business standpoint, the $40 million itself was likely not necessarily a reason for axing NCAA Football. What we haven't heard yet are the other terms of the settlement, one of which could very well have been that EA Sports couldn't develop a college football game for x number of years.

We'll keep digging to see what we can find -- most likely additional details of the settlement will continue to leak out in the days and weeks to come.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 loccdogg26 @ 09/30/13 09:39 PM
Football draws the biggest revenue of the sports followed by basketball so they should get the money. I know its not fair to the other athletes but in the real world where I live "fair" doesn't exist.

# 122 MBFranchise @ 09/30/13 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loccdogg26
Football draws the biggest revenue of the sports followed by basketball so they should get the money. I know its not fair to the other athletes but in the real world where I live "fair" doesn't exist.
Except that violates federal law.

In my eyes the best way to see what would be best for athletes (not just football and basketball, but all athletes) would be to ask them, "What would you rather have, an athletic scholarship or the ability to market yourselves?" Because if the students could make money off of their likeness, why would they need scholarships in the first place? This is the only way it could work with Title IX, to keep it how it is or completely erase athletic scholarships, which would hinder probably 99% of athletes.

# 123 Kaiser Wilhelm @ 10/01/13 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loccdogg26
Not only is that a violation of United States Federal law, it isn't feasible. The reason college football and basketball work so well for the schools is it funds the other athletic programs that attract students to their schools. If you pay the men's basketball and football players, federal law be damned, you need to either cut other sports programs or raise tuition to God knows what level to offset the costs.

It will not happen. It isn't legal and it isn't business smart. When it is high school, everybody bitches and moans when sports, music and clubs get cut, but when it is college we should just cut everything to pay the football players.

Somebody mentioned trainers, and grounds keepers exploiting the athletes. So the trainer my high school hired exploited me? Really? I'm pretty sure he helped me to prevent shin splints and other physical ailments that plague runners. He also provided my teammates and I with a workout so we could not only maximize our potential, but have a healthy lifting routine. I felt so exploited.

For the grounds crew, this is just nonsense. Colleges have groundskeepers. Who do you think makes those lawns look picture perfect around all those old buildings? If anybody is being exploited it is the paying student, not the student athlete.

If federal law didn't prevent the NCAA from capping coaches and athletic director salaries, I'd favor that, but the Federal government doesn't like trusts for some reason.

# 124 BenGerman @ 10/01/13 12:32 AM
I think the easy answer here is to create a minor league system of some kind in the NFL where players can go pro straight out of college. I agree that I don't want amateur sports killed off (I do think all NCAA athletes deserve a small stipend), but why are we trying so hard to keep them from making money?

# 125 cgalligan @ 10/01/13 09:10 AM
"It's Pandora's Box, and would effectively kill amateur sports. There is no other answer - it's common sense. You don't need "statistical" data on the matter.

They are not professional athletes. What you fail to realize with your simple "get mine" scope on the subject is that once you remove the rules you're gonna need to add even more"

The players need to be paid... Point blank... You're dead wrong with your Amateur Sports view... The idea of Amateur sports is dead in this country... To tell someone they aren't allowed to maximize their earning potential is downright criminal... We're not talking about the Schools paying these players, with state money, we're talking about the players HAVING THE RIGHT to earn money on their own, signing autographs and whatnot... What is so wrong with that??? Do you think Johnny Football is the only player signing autographs? Do you think Pryor was the only guy to get some free tats?

gimmie a break man... you're living in a different world if you can't see that what the NCAA is doing is pimping out these players for BILLIONS OF DOLLARS all while telling them they can't sign autographs...

Oh, but don't forget, when the "star" player gets in trouble, you can bet your *** they will be their on Gameday when Johnny Football has to play #1 Alabama, why you ask? Because if he didn't play NOBODY WOULD WATCH!!!... Same thing for those Buckeyes... The NCAA Allowed them to play in the Sugar Bowl, then came back and made another ruling at a later time just to cash in...

# 126 da ThRONe @ 10/02/13 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
I think the easy answer here is to create a minor league system of some kind in the NFL where players can go pro straight out of college. I agree that I don't want amateur sports killed off (I do think all NCAA athletes deserve a small stipend), but why are we trying so hard to keep them from making money?
This is the question that I just don't understand. As the amount of money generated with major college athletics constantly increase why wouldn't these Student Athletes look to capitalize on the contributions they make? But more importantly like you questioned why are so many against it?

# 127 da ThRONe @ 10/02/13 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBFranchise
Except that violates federal law.

In my eyes the best way to see what would be best for athletes (not just football and basketball, but all athletes) would be to ask them, "What would you rather have, an athletic scholarship or the ability to market yourselves?" Because if the students could make money off of their likeness, why would they need scholarships in the first place? This is the only way it could work with Title IX, to keep it how it is or completely erase athletic scholarships, which would hinder probably 99% of athletes.
To my understanding this isn't true. Title IX is about fair play between gender and sports. Everything that applies to one SA has to applies to all SA's. Everything that I've heard or read doesn't say title IX makes paying scholarship athletes against the rules it makes paying only certain scholarship athletes against the rules. Since there's no way the school could afford to pay them all anything significant enough to matter they pay none.

Again if the NCAA removes all rules barring athletes from receiving outside benefits from 3rd parties it would be unilateral. Most importantly it wouldn't cost each individual schools a dime. When you break it down the argument that SA's then should have to choose between a scholarship or the ability to accept gift/money from a 3rd party is just way off base.

# 128 da ThRONe @ 10/02/13 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzbro
Thanks for the laughs.
Your welcome.

Again I have yet to have anyone make a logical case why this is bad for the scholarship athletes or the schools themselves.

# 129 Kaiser Wilhelm @ 10/02/13 05:37 PM
Well, I have issues with the integrity of the sport at that point. Part of the appeal of college football for me is that it is amateur. This is probably why I firmly believe the best game and rivalry in college football every single year is Army vs Navy.

Allowing third parties to pay, i.e. bribe, the student athletes would be devastating to the integrity of the sport, though the NCAA and institutions have done a good job of that at themselves.

Like I have said in previous posts, I'd rather the whole of college football and basketball be scaled back. College football should look more like Army vs Navy and less like Alabama vs LSU.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.