Home
News Post

Mobile quarterbacks are a commodity that garner mixed reception when they make the jump from the college game to the NFL. Johnny Manziel is the latest to fit that mold and will no doubt be one of the most hotly debated players heading into this year's NFL draft.

Manziel's style as an agile gun-slinger has pushed some to compare the former Heisman winner to Brett Favre. Meanwhile, celebs like LeBron James claim to be tied to his inner circle of support (or maybe it's the other way around) so get ready for the next Tebow-like circus in the NFL.

The read option has faded into a mere tool in the arsenal of NFL offenses and not a devastating weapon that can't be stopped. Manziel, however, is a different breed of mobile QB. He's a never-shy acutely aware signal-caller with the ability to escape nearly any situation and turn it into positive yards.

Do you see Johnny Manziel succeeding as a quarterback in the NFL?

Sports Headlines for January 10, 2014

Game: NFLReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: SportsVotes for game: 5 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 CBoller1331 @ 01/14/14 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmehustle
Well by bigger schools I meant your top schools. Not necessarily 'small schools'. But that list would include Romo, Flacco who went to Delaware, Thad Lewis who started most of this season from Duke, Rothlesburger from Miami of Ohio, Kapernick who went to Nevada Reno, and Ryan Fitzpatrick who went to Harvard. I was talking more about your bigger schools like A&M, Alabama, Ohio State, as opposed to your Baylor,
Vanderbilt, Purdue, TCU, the ones who dont get all the big time hype.
Gotcha. Yeah not to many Ohio st, Texas, or Bama QBs right now.

# 22 MGomaha @ 01/14/14 12:50 AM
He'll be a great quarterback, imo.

# 23 Sportsforever @ 01/14/14 01:25 AM
I'll be honest…I didn't realize how little Manziel is until the BCS title game where they had him next to Tebow. Tebow dwarfed him and while Tebow is a big guy, he's not huge for a QB in the NFL (height wise). Manziel looked 3" shorter…I fear if he plays his style in the NFL he'll get destroyed.

# 24 Bmore Irish @ 01/14/14 02:03 PM
Quote:
Lol! This happens every couple of years. Will such and such be successful in the NFL. Smh I wish that people actually kept up with these claims. Let me go down a list of successful recent college QBs who people said would be good in the NFL. Tebow, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Colt Mccoy, Colin Klein, Sam Bradford, Dennis Dixon, Jason White, Troy Smith, Jimmy Clausen, Eric Crouch, Pat White, Colt Brennan, Chris Weinke, etc. Idk if Manziel will even be around 5 years from now in football, Im doubting it right now but hey we'll see. But Im pretty sure everyone who comments that he will dominate the NFL probably said the same thing about 75% of that list. So I am sure that you guys have no clue what your talking about. Ill listen to what Greg Cosell has to say.
You're sure that everyone else is clueless, yet half the QBs you mentioned in your list weren't even remotely considered potential top-5 picks, nor graded at the same talent level. Right.

Where Manziel lands could have a big impact on how he pans out as an NFL quarterback. What pieces will be in place where he's drafted?

I actually think the Browns would be a decent spot considering the players that are already there. It's the coaching/FO situation that makes the Browns iffy, and that's admittedly a pretty huge deal, especially for a young QB.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

# 25 Ozair Hussain @ 01/15/14 12:31 AM
it depends on what team he gets drafted by. it'll be helpful if he gets drafted by a team with a presumed starter, so he can get his mechanics right for the specific style of offense. It also depends if the HC will be willing to ADAPT to fit Johnny's needs, advantages, and weaknesses.

in general, i predict he will be a succesful qb in the near future, he may have to work himself up the depth chart, but its worth the wait

# 26 Ribkage @ 01/18/14 05:13 PM
I dont see him being a great pro. Just because he try's to do to much with his feet.I think he'll have an injury plagued career like RG3.

# 27 canesfins @ 01/18/14 05:28 PM
I'm not a Manziel fan at all but some of the reasons you guys give for why he won't be successful is just a joke.

# 28 BlastX21 @ 01/19/14 11:53 PM
Quote:
Let me go down a list of successful recent college QBs who people said would be good in the NFL. Tebow...Colt Mccoy...Dennis Dixon...Pat White...Colt Brennan
Credibility - lost.

# 29 BlastX21 @ 01/20/14 12:08 AM
If you slow down Manziel's passes and analyze them, you'll notice how tight some of the windows he fits the ball into are. You can pause the play before the ball is thrown and check all the receivers at your leisure. There will be many situations where you don't think anyone is open, but Manziel ends up placing the ball in a very specific spot and effectively throws his receivers open. Yeah, he throws too many lobs. NFL coaches will make sure he drops that tendency. But he can play at an NFL level because he's already doing it with his precision passing and finding ways to get the ball to a receiver when few others would. He doesn't "rely" on his athletic ability as others have suggested. Its a great asset, but he would still be a great QB if he couldn't run.

I think he'll be a solid starter. Not dominant, but definently solid.

# 30 Phillyboy57 @ 01/20/14 08:37 PM
Everybody hated Johnny, now you love him. Or you loved him, then now hate him. Wait for him to get on the field and THEN we can analyze his skill set.

# 31 newcamshire @ 01/28/14 07:54 PM
johnny is great because he is so fun to watch. he makes big plays look easy. he will be great in nfl i think. as long as he doesn't run too much and learns to slide or get out of bounds instead of trying to make a big play. if he can do that then he will be great. if gets picked by the texans then he will have a good receiver to throw to (andre johnson). if minnesota picks him up then he want probably get to run or throw as much since the vikings have adrian peterson, but he will still be able to proove he belongs in the nfl on any team.

# 32 CM Hooe @ 01/29/14 01:26 AM
I might be crazy and dumb, but my mind really wants to draw a comparison between Johnny Manziel and Tony Romo. Manziel has more athletic ability and is a far better runner than Romo, but they both play with that backyard style, sometimes with reckless abandon even.

Again, I could be crazy, but that's what I see. Reel him in some with a spread offense with some talent around him and I think he could take off in the NFL quickly.

# 33 Caveman24 @ 01/30/14 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I might be crazy and dumb, but my mind really wants to draw a comparison between Johnny Manziel and Tony Romo. Manziel has more athletic ability and is a far better runner than Romo, but they both play with that backyard style, sometimes with reckless abandon even.

Again, I could be crazy, but that's what I see. Reel him in some with a spread offense with some talent around him and I think he could take off in the NFL quickly.
I saw his ceiling as Romo as well. Though I think he reminds me of Jeff Garcia.

# 34 24 @ 01/30/14 03:14 PM
I've explained this on a few other places but I'll say it for the first time here. Johnny Manziel Is flat out amazing. If you took Joe Montana and Michael Vick and combined both of them with Jesus Christ the end product would be Johnny Manziel.

The precision that comes with each throw he makes is like a bullet fired out of a sniper rifle. He is like a cheetah out of the pocket. insanely quick and deadly. You laugh at his small stature? He laughs when he throws 500 Yards and 6 TD's on your team.

His potential is limitless. He will be drafted by the Patriots and groomed by Tom Brady and Bill Belichek. Under Manziel's leadership he will guide the Pats to 4 Super Bowl victories. He will be the greatest QB of all time. Rivaled by no one and feared by every opposing owner, coach and player.

The League is not prepared for a player of his caliber. The world is not prepared. It is simply impossible.

# 35 Caveman24 @ 01/31/14 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24
I've explained this on a few other places but I'll say it for the first time here. Johnny Manziel Is flat out amazing. If you took Joe Montana and Michael Vick and combined both of them with Jesus Christ the end product would be Johnny Manziel.

The precision that comes with each throw he makes is like a bullet fired out of a sniper rifle. He is like a cheetah out of the pocket. insanely quick and deadly. You laugh at his small stature? He laughs when he throws 500 Yards and 6 TD's on your team.

His potential is limitless. He will be drafted by the Patriots and groomed by Tom Brady and Bill Belichek. Under Manziel's leadership he will guide the Pats to 4 Super Bowl victories. He will be the greatest QB of all time. Rivaled by no one and feared by every opposing owner, coach and player.

The League is not prepared for a player of his caliber. The world is not prepared. It is simply impossible.
My sarcasm detector isn't working right now

# 36 Kearnzo @ 01/31/14 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24

Potential sig material right there.

# 37 Jasong7777 @ 02/02/15 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong7777
He'll likely end up in Cleveland meaning he will fail. He'll end up in some sort of rehab and be out of football in 5 years.
Damn I hate being right. This was kind of easy though.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12...mprove-himself

# 38 GT39 @ 02/02/15 04:49 PM
No, I don't think he will be successful nor durable!

# 39 ggsimmonds @ 02/02/15 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong7777
Damn I hate being right. This was kind of easy though.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12...mprove-himself
You are like a prophet.

# 40 BigDaddyHolmes @ 02/05/15 01:29 AM
Hard to say, cant tell by the 2014 season. I question if Shanahan even wanted him to do well. Also he wasnt mature enough, and needs to grow up and lead by example. I think he has tools to be a decent qb.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.