Home
R.B.I. Baseball 14 News Post

Major League Baseball Advanced Media (MLBAM) has announced R.B.I. Baseball 14 for current and next-gen consoles, as well as mobile devices, arriving this Spring.

With 2K Sports confirming no baseball game, it didn't look good for Xbox 360 and Xbox One fans, but it now looks like we will see a baseball game for Microsoft gamers after all.

Time will tell what kind of game this really is, but in the meantime you can keep track of the game on Twitter, Facebook and their official website.

Game: R.B.I. Baseball 14Hype Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: Android / iOS / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 10 - View All
R.B.I. Baseball 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 KBLover @ 01/23/14 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And if it is arcadey, if it's fun it may be well worth it's sticker price.
Heck, I still play Baseball Stars.

Whatever I paid for that like 20 years ago is still paying off now

# 142 Money99 @ 01/23/14 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Heck, I still play Baseball Stars.

Whatever I paid for that like 20 years ago is still paying off now
Was Baseball Stars the one where it showed a press conference after a big signing?
I loved that game too!

One of my favourites was Baseball Simulator 2000. Yes, there was a stadium on the moon and you could earn special powers like super speed, or super jump.
But that game was a lot of fun too. It had a pretty deep stats package, standings, etc.

I'm completely ignorant to how much money it takes to produce a game these days, but man, back in the 80's, it was great being a baseball fan.
There were oodles of games to choose from.
It'd be nice to have more than 1 or 2 options to choose from.

# 143 GnarlyKing @ 01/23/14 10:35 AM
I have no idea what it's going to be, but I know that I'd much rather have it be a quick, simple and fun old-school baseball game than a game that tries to be The Show and comes up short. Of course, I'd still rank the NES Baseball Stars as my favorite baseball game ever. I miss games like that.

# 144 fistofrage @ 01/23/14 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
I agree with this completely. If 2K had The Show's graphics, it would have sold much better and be much better received. For as much as people claim visuals are less important in this day and age, I would argue that 2k had for a long time the much-superior pitcher-batter interface, which is ultimately what 90% of baseball boils down to.

Anyway, if it's done right, aracadey baseball can be fun. I loved Ken Griffey Jr. baseball on SNES, and the original RBI was one of the best games ever. Of course, for my money, the original "Bases Loaded" and "Hardball" on C64 are among the best baseball games ever...
Hardball was revolutionary back in the day. It was a bummer though when I realized that the guys place in the lineup determined how fast he was, power he had, etc. That and I think that Barnes guy for the blue team could run faster than the ball.

# 145 KBLover @ 01/23/14 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Was Baseball Stars the one where it showed a press conference after a big signing?
I loved that game too!

One of my favourites was Baseball Simulator 2000. Yes, there was a stadium on the moon and you could earn special powers like super speed, or super jump.
But that game was a lot of fun too. It had a pretty deep stats package, standings, etc.

I'm completely ignorant to how much money it takes to produce a game these days, but man, back in the 80's, it was great being a baseball fan.
There were oodles of games to choose from.
It'd be nice to have more than 1 or 2 options to choose from.

Yep, it had the press conference when you signed a Free Agent, the sad scene when you released a guy (and the funny part is you could build up the "ghost player" still but then sign a FA to replace him too LOL). Created teams, player development, earning money for said development when you win and based on your prestige and your opponent's (which was based on each individual player's prestige rating - so you could have a good guy who's a jerk and no one likes - or a team full of said players and have a hard time earning cash).

It was also the first game on the NES I played that had trading, visible player ratings (with no "overall", just the player's skills), and league play (division standings, a schedule grid) and some stats tracking and leaderboards. Probably were others but that was the first game I had run across that did it.

I agree - games back then were plentiful and baseball seemed like the most common sport done. Some of these games seemed really ahead of their time. Hard to find an innovative feature and game mechanic now. Funny how player development budget just showed up a couple versions ago in OOTP and I first saw more money = more development back in Baseball Stars!

# 146 pietasterp @ 01/23/14 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Hardball was revolutionary back in the day. It was a bummer though when I realized that the guys place in the lineup determined how fast he was, power he had, etc. That and I think that Barnes guy for the blue team could run faster than the ball.
You know, I never realized that a guy's place in the lineup determined those stats. As in, just now when you told me that is the first time I ever knew that. Learn something new every day...would have been useful for me to know 20+ years ago, but I guess when I was 9 or whatever, I wasn't that sophisticated. I do, however, know that the blue team was better, and in no small part because of "Barnes" or whoever, who was like Ichiro and could beat out hot grounders to short that were cleanly fielded...

Honestly, I'm serious when I say I want the original RBI game included in the new game. I understand w/ player union issues they might not be able to have all the original names, but even the game w/ filler names or modern names would be fine. I mean, how big could that game possibly be? 150-200k? Probably half a MB at most?

# 147 mlblover15 @ 01/23/14 03:51 PM
Actually RBI Baseball 94' was the last in the games line and it was on the Sega Genesis. It was made by Tengen,

# 148 pietasterp @ 01/23/14 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblover15
Actually RBI Baseball 94' was the last in the games line and it was on the Sega Genesis. It was made by Tengen,
I vaguely remember this...but I only really care about the original one, with the short/fat/round characters that looked like Cartman from "South Park".

# 149 jyoung @ 01/23/14 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblover15
Yeah by the time the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo came around, RBI Baseball just wasn't an appealing series anymore.

Sports Talk Baseball (Genesis) and Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball (Super Nintendo) were both way better games.

Sports Talk Baseball in particular is one of the most underrated games from that era:

# 150 yaeger @ 01/23/14 07:52 PM
I still have RBI 4 and RBI 94 for my Sega Genesis. Both are challenging games, but a lot of fun. Picking Barry Bonds for the Home Run Derby for RBI 94 is a lot of fun.

# 151 Teirminator @ 01/24/14 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Sports Talk Baseball (Genesis) and Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball (Super Nintendo) were both way better games.

Sports Talk Baseball in particular is one of the most underrated games from that era:
Sports Talk was one my favorites. Chili Davis was the man!! Sports Talk football was solid too.

# 152 GnarlyKing @ 01/24/14 11:34 AM
Sports Talk is another one that I put way too many hours into.

# 153 ShowTyme15 @ 01/24/14 12:16 PM
I was always a Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball kind of guy

# 154 KBLover @ 01/24/14 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Wow - was this the first game with voice play-by-play?

That alone makes this game awesome.

# 155 Money99 @ 01/24/14 02:57 PM
Irresponsible speculation time:
Does anyone think there's a connection between 2K announcing it was done with MLB baseball (Jan 7) and RBI announcing it's return (Jan 15th) within a relatively close timeframe?

We've already discussed the coincidences of 2K Korea looking for a baseball programmer and 2K Sports publishing RBI '14.

It has me excited at the prospect of RBI using 2K's analog pitching and pitcher-batter interface (which I believe is done extremely well).

Hopefully we hear more news soon. I'm looking forward to the first screenshots released.

# 156 Teirminator @ 01/24/14 03:11 PM
I don't think its been confirmed that 2K is publishing RBI. I think that was a misunderstanding with that old RBI project that got an ESRB rating, but never came out.

# 157 aguero90 @ 01/28/14 11:15 AM
If RBI has awesome announcers, and pretty good gameplay, I'll get it along with the show! Even though graphics don't mean as much to me being visually impaired, it still has to play a good game of baseball for me. Can't wait to hear some news!

# 158 Heroesandvillains @ 01/29/14 04:06 PM
I don't know.

Hearing that it's being developed for mobile devices has me not holding my breath that this will be a sim title.

I hope I'm wrong though!

# 159 dickey1331 @ 01/29/14 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
I don't know.

Hearing that it's being developed for mobile devices has me not holding my breath that this will be a sim title.

I hope I'm wrong though!

I guess you never know. Fifa is on mobile platforms. Same with other sports games. I doubt it's sim but we shall see.

# 160 dsk @ 01/30/14 09:58 AM
Part of me thinks the mystery of what the new RBI baseball will be is going to be more interesting than the game itself. This will be fun to watch unfold.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.