Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

Kind of like Derrick Rose's season, NBA Live 14 might just be a lost cause at this point.
It has been 64 days since NBA Live 14 has made its return to sports gamers’ living rooms, but that still doesn’t say much as the franchise is struggling to keep fans interested in a game that lacks both quality and accessible gameplay.

NBA Live was met with backlash when it was first released, which you might say was well deserved.

The gameplay was clunky, the player models looked strange, and the overall feel of the game lacked the fluidity that the game’s main competitor – NBA 2K – seemed to have nearly mastered. After an endless string of bad reviews, EA Sports announced that they would take on a massive project by attempting to fix NBA Live on the fly.

Read More - NBA Live 14: It's Time to Leave a Man Behind

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 loosey101 @ 01/22/14 12:58 PM
I def agree with this article, I've forwarded it the NBA Live twitter but I'm sure I won't get a response. I know some of the NBA Live guys browse the forums and yet no response or communication as to when we can expect the patch. It's starting to get a little ridiculous.

# 2 Earl1963 @ 01/22/14 01:04 PM
Live has its share of flaws but it's still a pretty solid 1st attempt. I'm also proud to see EA not copy the competition, like so many seem to want. There is nothing more aggravating than a copycat. I need originality in my games and IMO, EA has a nice start with NBA Live 14.

I think they nailed the pace of the sport, players just need more explosiveness and a few more animations.

8/10. And EA didn't pay me to say this.

# 3 Tommy9017 @ 01/22/14 01:11 PM
It can be as bad as nba 2k14 bugs on the ps4 lol

# 4 ccoaxum @ 01/22/14 01:11 PM
They have made a dew upgrades to the game since game has been out...they currently working on that next patch that suspose to be a big patch I'm guessing...the game works and is playable..more then what I can say about the other game...the game may not look good as other game but it is fun to play and on the right track

# 5 PhatOldMan @ 01/22/14 01:14 PM
I agree, I have the other game and it has been unplayable for two months

# 6 ccoaxum @ 01/22/14 01:20 PM
I believe practice mode will be in the next patch based on how they been talking on twitter

# 7 WTF @ 01/22/14 01:26 PM
I agree with some of what the article says, but not on a bit of it as well.

Quote:
The gameplay suffers from a clunkiness which makes finishing a game feel like a job rather than a game. Passes look like they’re being lofted, regardless if it’s cross court or into the post. Jump shots still look like it’s a step-by-step process: catch, plant your feet, square up, shoot instead of being one full motion.
This is one of the biggest pieces that I disagree with. The gameplay is what makes me want to play the game. It makes me want to continue playing even when I know I should be shutting down the PS4 for the night. The jump shots, once you are fluid with the controls are slick. They are about as seamless as you can get. I love going in with a crossover, or rocking someone to sleep, to rise up fluidly for the jumper. I'll spend quite a bit of time just doing that each game, looking at how fluid it is in the replays. As long as your body is in the right position, and you aren't trying to shoot a jumpshot without your body squared, then it's a really nice animation, really fluid.

Quote:
The “Ratings Only” option is still your best bet for an enjoyable game, but then the argument of scripted basketball comes into play and nobody wants that. It’s more of a work around when I’d prefer a game that works out of the box.
I know a lot of the guys are having issues shooting, so I'm assuming that's along those same lines. I've not went to ratings only, nor felt the need to. I guess the "practice" gym would come in handy in these cases, to help guys learn. I go by "feel" on shooting. I love the shooting/timing. Normally if I miss, I'll know that I should have held a little longer, or released a little sooner. Sometimes directly after I release shoot, I'll know if it's going in or not based on realizing if my timing "felt" off.

Quote:
EA SPORTS NBA ‏@EASPORTSNBA 2h
@MrEddieDiaz We are full speed ahead on 15 as well as improving 14 Eddie!
There is their latest from Twitter. I'm fully optimistic for Live 15, and for the "update/patch" for Live 14.

Good read altogether though. I'm just on board for the update, just because I want more people to see what's under the hood. A shiny coat of graphics and a practice mode will hopefully get more people to see what's "in" the game.

I know that Synergy COULD play a bigger role in where the game is right now. The negative big man dribbling that's been brought up recently, the good of the kickout game that I experienced the other day, the good of the defensive rotation from Poopador... Hopefully we'll all get that in each game we play soon.

# 8 loosey101 @ 01/22/14 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
I agree with some of what the article says, but not on a bit of it as well.

This is one of the biggest pieces that I disagree with. The gameplay is what makes me want to play the game. It makes me want to continue playing even when I know I should be shutting down the PS4 for the night. The jump shots, once you are fluid with the controls are slick. They are about as seamless as you can get. I love going in with a crossover, or rocking someone to sleep, to rise up fluidly for the jumper. I'll spend quite a bit of time just doing that each game, looking at how fluid it is in the replays. As long as your body is in the right position, and you aren't trying to shoot a jumpshot without your body squared, then it's a really nice animation, really fluid.

I know a lot of the guys are having issues shooting, so I'm assuming that's along those same lines. I've not went to ratings only, nor felt the need to. I guess the "practice" gym would come in handy in these cases, to help guys learn. I go by "feel" on shooting. I love the shooting/timing. Normally if I miss, I'll know that I should have held a little longer, or released a little sooner. Sometimes directly after I release shoot, I'll know if it's going in or not based on realizing if my timing "felt" off.

There is their latest from Twitter. I'm fully optimistic for Live 15, and for the "update/patch" for Live 14.

Good read altogether though. I'm just on board for the update, just because I want more people to see what's under the hood. A shiny coat of graphics and a practice mode will hopefully get more people to see what's "in" the game.

I know that Synergy COULD play a bigger role in where the game is right now. The negative big man dribbling that's been brought up recently, the good of the kickout game that I experienced the other day, the good of the defensive rotation from Poopador... Hopefully we'll all get that in each game we play soon.

Great read WTF,

I have to agree with your points. Also, it sounds like you have played a lot, as have I. I've probably played 50 games with my UT and I've never once switched to ratings only. It's a feel thing, I had a buddy over last weekend and had to explain it to him. You just get used to the release point and it feels so smooth. I absolutely love shooting with Curry, Allen, Kobe and others that have that slick stroke. This game may not be the prettiest but I would give it a 7.5/10 right now.

# 9 Jadakiss88 @ 01/22/14 01:50 PM
I will first start by saying that I have yet to play anything Next Gen so don't expect a ton of Fan boy one sided arguments.

I don't think it's time to scrap Live. I think they should work on upgrading Live 14 as they promised and use roster updates to keep things fresh. Live 14 tanked but from what I have heard, read, and seen it seems Live is making small improvements to make the game more enjoyable. If they were to scrap Live 14 do you really think they would make any money on Live 15....sure some fan boys and 2k haters would buy it but EA would stand to make more money with what they have now.

The expectations for Live are low, nobody expects a mind blowing experience most people just want a different experience than 2k offers and with 2k being riddled with game breaking issues this is the perfect opportunity for EA to stay the course with Live and build on what they have now.

They have lowered the cost of the game, they have maintained the promise to continue to upgrade the game, and honestly SOOO many people are complaining about 2k right now that if Live ever finds it's stride the competition will once again ramp back up.

I honestly think if 2k Sports and EA stopped doing yearly releases and focused more on a two to three year window we wouldn't be seeing all these issues.

# 10 RipCityAndy @ 01/22/14 01:52 PM
Good post, Dustin, but I strongly disagree with you.

Game improvement and development for NBA Live 14 needs to be continuous rather than released in yearly blocks. I'll give three main justifications:

First, EA promised a continuously improving product.
http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-updates-gameplay/article/nba-live-14-open-letter

Second, any gameplay improvements made to Live 14 can be carried over to Live 15.

Last, if the game doesn't improve at all prior to Live 15, customer interest and goodwill in the product will be damaged - perhaps irreparably. If no improvement is made prior to Live 15 there is no reason why a reasonable consumer should trust that Live 15 will be any better than its predecessor. I imagine most gamers would be enraged if a game purchased in November/December was abandoned with promises that next years game will be great (especially after the cancellations of Elite 11 and Live 13). Live 14 was far from perfect at release, but has become far more satisfying as title updates are released. Live 14 is on a steady improvement curve right now. EA is currently showing us improvements rather than making empty promises. Even if you disagree that Live 14 is improving, surely you can agree that continued improvements generate goodwill that EA desperately needs.

It's strange that a sports gamer would advocate that a developer STOP making improvements to a game that was released just over two months ago. Isn't one of the main complaints among gamers that we don't see post release support? If EA did cease support for Live 14, what benefit would we see as a community? The day sports game developers throw in the towel after 60 days of support is the day I stop buying them.

# 11 Eddie1967 @ 01/22/14 01:56 PM
I would have to agree, I always felt that the folks enjoying the game here at OS did not represent the gaming community as a whole. In my opinion this game has been a disaster and has a long way to go to be close to the competition. Even with those feelings, I do prefer two games instead of one.

# 12 bballshawn24 @ 01/22/14 01:58 PM
2k is a broken game tho, you cant play mode and 2k support doesnt help, i dont think live is a lost cause because it provides an alternative for people who 2k is corrupted

# 13 RUFFNREADY @ 01/22/14 02:16 PM
I agree with the post; and imo, EA needs to grab those Madden heads getting ready to unwind after the Super bowl. I believe, if they dropped the price a bit ($30-$35 range), and put it on sale for digital download before the Super bowl (forXB1 and PS4); they would create thousand(s) more game players and revenue instead of the odd recruit!
I for a fact, won't touch the game at the $60 price tag (I do play sometimes at my friends house; his game!)
Sixty dollars for less than mediocre game! I think not! I only paid $10 for NBA 2K14 next gen (trade in from current gen promotion) or I could have stayed with the current gen which still played really good and better than LIVE 14.
If EA wants gamers to see their product; get the price right NOW! Then show them what you are doing to this game, just as the next update drops!

*Food for thought!*

Note: My wifey has an M.B.A. in advertisement and Marketing
Super Bowl time is the best time early in the year to grab customers! Why do you think companies pay millions in advertising their commercials then?
note: Changing the price point would help greatly, as people are just looking at the current price!
BINGO!

cheers

# 14 El_Poopador @ 01/22/14 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityAndy
Good post, Dustin, but I strongly disagree with you.

Game improvement and development for NBA Live 14 needs to be continuous rather than released in yearly blocks. I'll give three main justifications:

First, EA promised a continuously improving product.
http://www.easports.com/nba-live/new...14-open-letter

Second, any gameplay improvements made to Live 14 can be carried over to Live 15.

Last, if the game doesn't improve at all prior to Live 15, customer interest and goodwill in the product will be damaged - perhaps irreparably. If no improvement is made prior to Live 15 there is no reason why a reasonable consumer should trust that Live 15 will be any better than its predecessor. I imagine most gamers would be enraged if a game purchased in November/December was abandoned with promises that next years game will be great (especially after the cancellations of Elite 11 and Live 13). Live 14 was far from perfect at release, but has become far more satisfying as title updates are released. Live 14 is on a steady improvement curve right now. EA is currently showing us improvements rather than making empty promises. Even if you disagree that Live 14 is improving, surely you can agree that continued improvements generate goodwill that EA desperately needs.

It's strange that a sports gamer would advocate that a developer STOP making improvements to a game that was released just over two months ago. Isn't one of the main complaints among gamers that we don't see post release support? If EA did cease support for Live 14, what benefit would we see as a community? The day sports game developers throw in the towel after 60 days of support is the day I stop buying them.
you make some good points but it can also be viewed a different way. if they keep working on live 14 throughout the year (in terms of altering gameplay graphics etc. and not just roster updates and things were used to) then some people may feel that live 15 isnt really much of an upgrade at all. for those who didnt buy live 14 they may opt to buy it instead of 15 since it would be cheaper and close to the same.

the post release support we crave is in terms of roster updates and bug fixes. something like the cpu not calling timeouts. but major overhauls usually arent expected until the next release at the earliest.

# 15 RUFFNREADY @ 01/22/14 02:22 PM
Sorry I should have stated, that the game isn't deal in the water; but could revive itself with some simple tactics! cont~

# 16 shutdown10 @ 01/22/14 03:30 PM
Good Post! Ea needs to prove to the masses that they can create a respectful basketball game. They have run out of all their excuses. Nobody should make excuses for them any more. They had a great opportunity to wow us with Live 14 and choked. If Live 15 is similar then curtains for them. They are the laughing stock of all sports gaming right now and have a really bad rep. Its not going to be easy to get out of that position. 150,000 or 200,000 copies sold are not going to save this title in the future. They better have a brilliant strategy this year to get consumers to buy Live 15.

# 17 riggs6taters @ 01/22/14 03:56 PM
Author comes off like he is saying "love my 2K!!!!!!!"

# 18 Earl1963 @ 01/22/14 04:12 PM
Quote:
I agree with this 100%. IMO, Live 14 plays a lot more like what I see on TV, and also when I play outside myself. See, the problem I have with 2k is humans can't possibly move the way they do in that game, it gives gamers a little too much control of changing direction.

Live feels sluggish for most gamers, but I can see what EA is trying to accomplish here. True to life movements. Still a ways to go though.

# 19 Flightwhite24 @ 01/22/14 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1963
I agree with this 100%. IMO, Live 14 plays a lot more like what I see on TV, and also when I play outside myself. See, the problem I have with 2k is humans can't possibly move the way they do in that game, it gives gamers a little too much control of changing direction.

Live feels sluggish for most gamers, but I can see what EA is trying to accomplish here. True to life movements. Still a ways to go though.

I'm on board with this statement

Sent from my iPhone

# 20 The 24th Letter @ 01/22/14 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs6taters
Author comes off like he is saying "love my 2K!!!!!!!"

Everyone in this thread is discussing the article like grown ups...please don't bring this mess in here..

Good article...but I don't think EA should give up or anything like that...just continue to accept feedback from the community and try their best to implement it into the game....as of right now, pre patch, I think they have a LONG way to go...even if we're leaving graphics out of the occasion....

I actually disagree with some of the gameplay criticisms in the article...but one thing I totally agree with is it sometimes feeling like a chore to finish a game...

a game I had the other day was a perfect example of this...did a fantasy draft to shake things up, I get in game and realize that half of my team have the same signature shot...really sucks out a lot of the immersion. I also realized that have no idea who I am playing on the opposite team because the likenesses don't stand out...Unless they had an outstanding quality, I couldn't tell who they were until it flashed on the bottom of the screen when they scored. This isn't a "oh it's not pretty enough" complaint...this is legit graphical complaint that many others besides myself have spoken on..,.

Combine this with the gameplay issues that I have already talked about previously, it just sucks what fun there is out of the game sometimes.....some games go great...but lately I am seeing more bad than good. I've been playing this game since day one...I like that it's different, I like a lot of what it brings, but I can't call it a "good foundation" any more, right now it's just "a foundation" to me, and I hope EA can tweak and build upon it...

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.