Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

PlayStation.Blog has posted their MLB 14 The Show developer blog which details quick counts and player lock features, which help complete games faster.

Other details not mentioned in the video are listed below.
  • Quick Counts and Player Lock are game options; they aren’t mandatory.
  • Quick Counts and Player Lock are available in all game modes except Road To The Show.
  • Player lock will allow you to play a full game in as little as 10 minutes.
  • With Quick Counts on, you will cut your game completion times in half if used in conjunction with the Fast Play presentation setting. Games can now be completed in as little as 30 minutes.
  • Realistic stats in Quick Counts have not been compromised. However, you may see a slight increase in strike outs and walks.
  • To customize your Player Lock experience, visit the Options page and access the RTTS Options.
  • Player Lock fielding uses fielder-perspective controls, so all bases are mapped opposite of non-Player Lock games (i.e. Square = First, X = Second, Circle = Third, Triangle = Home)
What are your thoughts on quick counts and player lock?

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 141 RangersCruz @ 02/27/14 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Or maybe you shouldn't expect finished graphics from an unfinished game.
Thats why i said maybe my opinion will change when i see more..

Nobody is bashing the game geez

# 142 Bobhead @ 02/27/14 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
Thats why i said maybe my opinion will change when i see more..

Nobody is bashing the game geez
It's like going to a construction site where all they've laid is a foundation, and saying "Well gosh, this building isn't very impressive."

I'm not trying to "defend" the game, I'm just advocating the use of common sense.

# 143 seanjeezy @ 02/27/14 07:30 PM
Quote:
Or maybe you shouldn't expect finished graphics from an unfinished game.
At this stage in development the graphics should be pretty much locked down, there might be a few performance tweaks here and there but that's it. The only thing that looks new about the player models are the faces, everything else (jerseys, skeleton, gear) looks like up-res'd PS3 assets. Now it could be that the lighting scenario did the textures no favors (the lack of shadows at Fenway made the jerseys look flat) and of course this game looks better in motion, but based on what we have seen thus far I am not ready to put it on NBA 2K's level.

Given how the PS3 version is one of the better looking games on the console, I was honestly expecting some graphical wizardry on the PS4 even on the first attempt, especially after seeing Killzone, Driveclub, Infamous, and The Order. If the jump doesn't occur until year 2 that's fine though, I remember how 08 was a huge leap compared to 07.

# 144 Bobhead @ 02/27/14 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
At this stage in development the graphics should be pretty much locked down
But are we seeing pictures from "this stage in development"?

Sure, I'll humor you that, today, on February 27, the SCEA team has likely finished graphics entirely.

But that has nothing to do with the content presented within the screenshots and videos. Screenshots and videos that were clearly not all recorded and assembled today. A lot of these things people are judging are probably over a month old, if not two or three.

# 145 nemesis04 @ 02/27/14 07:49 PM
I may be wrong but I don't think we have seen a pic since Ramone mentioned that the lighting was changed. I am sure that could change things.

# 146 metsfan4life1 @ 02/27/14 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I may be wrong but I don't think we have seen a pic since Ramone mentioned that the lighting was changed. I am sure that could change things.
Did you guys get to see the PS4 verison in action? And if so does it look better when you see it in motion, compared to still images?

# 147 nemesis04 @ 02/27/14 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan4life1
Did you guys get to see the PS4 verison in action? And if so does it look better when you see it in motion, compared to still images?
We did not see anything ps4, it was strictly ps3.

# 148 seanjeezy @ 02/27/14 09:17 PM
Quote:
But are we seeing pictures from "this stage in development"?

Sure, I'll humor you that, today, on February 27, the SCEA team has likely finished graphics entirely.

But that has nothing to do with the content presented within the screenshots and videos. Screenshots and videos that were clearly not all recorded and assembled today. A lot of these things people are judging are probably over a month old, if not two or three.
How do you know if the screens are months old? Your assumption is no better than mine or anyone else's. Looking back at previous years, the only time I remember screenshots in December looking different from the ones in February was when there were new player models (which isn't happening this year).

I'd say the majority of developers nail down the graphics early in development so they can start optimizing as soon as possible. Off the top of my head the only dev team I'm aware of that dramatically improves assets later in the cycle is Evolution Studios, and look what's going on with Driveclub.

I hate sounding like a pessimist when talking about my favorite game series, but the lack of footage is a little disconcerting. We've seen more from The Order and that game isn't due out until the fall...

Edit:

I would also like to add that in years past and even during the initial reveal of the PS4 version there was a WIP logo, and the recent screens do not have that soooo... (Tinfoil hat time lol)

# 149 Woodweaver @ 02/27/14 09:24 PM
Quote:
How do you know if the screens are months old? Your assumption is no better than mine or anyone else's. Looking back at previous years, the only time I remember screenshots in December looking different from the ones in February was when there were new player models (which isn't happening this year).

I'd say the majority of developers nail down the graphics early in development so they can start optimizing as soon as possible. Off the top of my head the only dev team I'm aware of that dramatically improves assets later in the cycle is Evolution Studios, and look what's going on with Driveclub.

I hate sounding like a pessimist when talking about my favorite game series, but the lack of footage is a little disconcerting. We've seen more from The Order and that game isn't due out until the fall...
-The PS4 pics were older.
-Most development teams do not have "the graphics" nailed down early when dealing with new technology.
-Every game and every marketing plan are unique when it comes to these subjects.

# 150 ShowTyme15 @ 02/27/14 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
-Most development teams do not have "the graphics" nailed down early when dealing with new technology.
-Every game and every marketing plan are unique when it comes to these subjects.
WHOOP..............there it is.

# 151 seanjeezy @ 02/27/14 09:40 PM
Quote:
Well that settles that lol. If you could, can you answer these questions?

How much older?

How early is early in this case? In a one year dev cycle are you still improving the graphics engine and art assets with 6 months to go? 4 months? 2 months? How much time is left to optimize the game if you are dealing with moving targets?

Thanks woodweaver

# 152 Russell_SCEA @ 02/27/14 09:50 PM
Quote:

How much older?

How early is early in this case? In a one year dev cycle are you still improving the graphics engine and art assets with 6 months to go? 4 months? 2 months? How much time is left to optimize the game if you are dealing with moving targets?

Thanks woodweaver

Inch............................. mile

# 153 Knight165 @ 02/27/14 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Inch............................. mile
Who is this inch.....mile guy you keep calling on?...and can we get him here quickly?!!!
I'm dyin' here!!!

M.K.
Knight165

# 154 Bobhead @ 02/27/14 10:00 PM
Quote:

I'd say the majority of developers nail down the graphics early in development so they can start optimizing as soon as possible.
Quote:

How much older?

Thanks woodweaver
Obviously WW already posted... but for what it's worth my assumption was based on the fact that it takes time for an image or video to even be extracted from the PS4. Someone(s) has to convert it to a computer format, touch it up, cut it down, etc.... Even if I assume it only takes a week to do all that... that still puts the newest video at about 8 days ago. Some of these threads are a couple weeks old already.

On top of that, the accompanying blog posts, articles, press release videos, music, etc... whatever format a particular "teaser" is in, all that has to be created too. Articles have to be proofread and approved. Videos have to be recorded somewhere, edited, cut down, finalized etc...

And those pieces are created in response to the video/screenshot (you can't record a press release video about gameplay footage until you already have the gameplay footage)... so that means the media is at least a week older than the article that comes with it. So if a blog was posted 2 weeks ago, it's likely that any screenshots within are at least 4 weeks old.

That puts the newest thing posted at no less than 20 days old, and that's using the very conservative estimates above.

If you just work backwards from when each respective item was posted on OS, you see that most of it is at least 4-6 weeks old, if not more.

I don't know anything about dev cycles though, and what "normal" at this time is. I'd like to know that myself.

# 155 Knight165 @ 02/27/14 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
Seriously, I concur.
Yeah...but you mean for info.

I wouldn't mind if I didn't see another shread of info on the game...

I just want my copy in hand(then in PS3/4!)

M.K.
Knight165

# 156 ShowTyme15 @ 02/27/14 10:04 PM
Quote:
Obviously WW already posted... but for what it's worth my assumption was based on the fact that it takes time for an image or video to even be extracted from the PS4. Someone(s) has to convert it to a computer format, touch it up, cut it down, etc.... Even if I assume it only takes a week to do all that... that still puts the newest video at about 8 days ago. Some of these threads are a couple weeks old already.

On top of that, the accompanying blog posts, articles, press release videos, music, etc... whatever format a particular "teaser" is in, all that has to be created too. Articles have to be proofread and approved. Videos have to be recorded somewhere, edited, cut down, finalized etc...

And those pieces are created in response to the video/screenshot (you can't record a press release video about gameplay footage until you already have the gameplay footage)... so that means the media is at least a week older than the article that comes with it. So if a blog was posted 2 weeks ago, it's likely that any screenshots within are at least 4 weeks old.

That puts the newest thing posted at no less than 20 days old, and that's using the very conservative estimates above.

If you just work backwards from when each respective item was posted on OS, you see that most of it is at least 4-6 weeks old, if not more.

I don't know anything about dev cycles though, and what "normal" at this time is. I'd like to know that myself.
I remember Ramone saying last year the 13' intro took like 3 months to make. So everything you just said makes sense (Not that I didn't believe you already, I myself already knew this as well, just saying for the sake of this convo).

# 157 nemesis04 @ 02/27/14 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
3 months????? Holy crap!
There was a lot of floating tickets!

# 158 ShowTyme15 @ 02/27/14 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
There was a lot of floating tickets!
And one hell of a floating lineup card.

# 159 Factzzz @ 02/27/14 10:26 PM
Quote:
The problem that a lot of people are complaining about when it comes to the ps4 graphics are the player models, so i doubt they've changed the actual player models since the pics were released.

# 160 BSUFAN @ 02/27/14 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
I remember Ramone saying last year the 13' intro took like 3 months to make. So everything you just said makes sense (Not that I didn't believe you already, I myself already knew this as well, just saying for the sake of this convo).
Funny cause I have never watched the intro on 13 all I wanted to do is to get to the gameplay as fast as possible and I am sure I am not the only one

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.