Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

PlayStation.Blog has posted their MLB 14 The Show developer blog which details quick counts and player lock features, which help complete games faster.

Other details not mentioned in the video are listed below.
  • Quick Counts and Player Lock are game options; they aren’t mandatory.
  • Quick Counts and Player Lock are available in all game modes except Road To The Show.
  • Player lock will allow you to play a full game in as little as 10 minutes.
  • With Quick Counts on, you will cut your game completion times in half if used in conjunction with the Fast Play presentation setting. Games can now be completed in as little as 30 minutes.
  • Realistic stats in Quick Counts have not been compromised. However, you may see a slight increase in strike outs and walks.
  • To customize your Player Lock experience, visit the Options page and access the RTTS Options.
  • Player Lock fielding uses fielder-perspective controls, so all bases are mapped opposite of non-Player Lock games (i.e. Square = First, X = Second, Circle = Third, Triangle = Home)
What are your thoughts on quick counts and player lock?

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 nemesis04 @ 02/26/14 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbler
I know quick counts are good for lots of people but they don't interest me, it just takes out the whole point of realism and what baseball it. the idea of being a hitter is to be patient and be able to pick your pitches, I just think jumping in with a 3 and 2 count wouldn't be the same to be and take away the actual point of baseball it's to arcadse like. I will never use it, but I can understand why some might.
I will use it from time to time but I generally like to experience the whole at bat too. I will say though that the mode is done very well. The biggest thing I cam away with from playing it is I felt satisfied that I played a full game of baseball. It did not have a no frills feel to it like it was stripped down to the bones.

# 82 shaneomac @ 02/26/14 05:45 PM
Maybe a dev or someone who knows can comment on this but with the ability to play diamond dynasty games offline, will the player lock feature be playable in this mode? Thanks a lot!

# 83 Kirby_SCEA @ 02/26/14 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
I think it's the new Dynamic batting camera????
In the dev blog, you saw both the RTTS/Player Lock camera and the new Dynamic batting camera. They are similar, but definitely different. The Dynamic camera is designed to work in non-RTTS modes like Exhibition, Franchise, etc. You will all of course be seeing more of these as more footage is released.

# 84 Russell_SCEA @ 02/26/14 06:07 PM
Here's a Quick Counts box score for SP from a game I just finished. Game was on All-Star difficulty.

F.Hernandez (me) (98 Stamina rating) (W) 7.2 IP, 3H, 0R, 0ER, 3BB, 5 SO, 0.00 ERA, 118 pitches

C.Lee (99 Stamina rating) 7.0 IP, 4H, 0R, 0ER, 1 BB, 4 SO, 0.00 ERA, 99 pitches

# 85 berenjena @ 02/26/14 06:10 PM
As a batting stance nut...I am very pleased with what I've seen so far.

Utley Stance and swing look really good now.

The AL Rookie of the year got his love too!

Pedroia's batting stance looks great too!

Oh and they finally updated Miguel Cabrera PS2 stance....I fricking love it!

Hopefully there's still time to get Robinson Cano's beard and hopefully his batting stance has been updated.

# 86 Factzzz @ 02/26/14 06:33 PM
They really need to get rid of that ugly one hand follow through on hits by right handed batters (the one that goes over the players shoulder like a Jose Bautista homer).

Hopefully they have better swing animations on ps4

Also, the updated batting stances are looking really good, looks like Cabrera might have gotten some sort of toe tap, similar to what he does in real life. Looking good.

# 87 DirtyJerz32 @ 02/26/14 06:33 PM
Quick counts! Yes please! Now I'll be able to play more than 1 season.

# 88 MrOldboy @ 02/26/14 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
They really need to get rid of that ugly one hand follow through on hits by right handed batters (the one that goes over the players shoulder like a Jose Bautista homer).

Hopefully they have better swing animations on ps4

Also, the updated batting stances are looking really good, looks like Cabrera might have gotten some sort of toe tap, similar to what he does in real life. Looking good.
Yeah, noticed the Cabrera stance in the first trailer. The thing with Cabrera is that he doesn't really have a toe tap in the sense that he taps before each swing. So a swing like Derosa's in The Show I think would look off. While he's in his stance he will tap his front foot in rhythm with his bat movement, but he takes a normal step when he swings. His tap is only really while he is waiting for the pitch. Here's a good video of his timing mechanism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxZzLvGWNgo

From the trailer it looks like he taps quite a bit right before he swings. Hoepfully we get a better view of it in other videos.

On the follow through, I think it looks ok once in a while, but its extremely overused. Some more variety in the follow throughs would help a lot. It looks really strange on players that have nowhere near the same follow through in real life, but since they are one-handed they get it in game.

# 89 Factzzz @ 02/26/14 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
Yeah, noticed the Cabrera stance in the first trailer. The thing with Cabrera is that he doesn't really have a toe tap in the sense that he taps before each swing. So a swing like Derosa's in The Show I think would look off. While he's in his stance he will tap his front foot in rhythm with his bat movement, but he takes a normal step when he swings. His tap is only really while he is waiting for the pitch. Here's a good video of his timing mechanism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxZzLvGWNgo

From the trailer it looks like he taps quite a bit right before he swings. Hoepfully we get a better view of it in other videos.

On the follow through, I think it looks ok once in a while, but its extremely overused. Some more variety in the follow throughs would help a lot. It looks really strange on players that have nowhere near the same follow through in real life, but since they are one-handed they get it in game.
I agree with you 100% on Cabrera's stance, it'll be hard to get it down in the game so I'm interested to see how it looks.

Also for the follow throughs, I noticed that it happens on every ball a right handed batter hits to the outfield, if it's a line drive or ground ball hit, then the follow through will be normal, but if it's hit in the air, it's going to be that terrible follow through. Only a few players should have a follow trough like that.

# 90 MrOldboy @ 02/26/14 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
I agree with you 100% on Cabrera's stance, it'll be hard to get it down in the game so I'm interested to see how it looks.

Also for the follow throughs, I noticed that it happens on every ball a right handed batter hits to the outfield, if it's a line drive or ground ball hit, then the follow through will be normal, but if it's hit in the air, it's going to be that terrible follow through. Only a few players should have a follow trough like that.
I think if they get is pre-pitch stance down with his bat movement, then his foot tap right after in sequence (repeat). Then his stride is the sort of quick, low one he has it'll look ok. Better than it is now by far. All the guys with unique timing mechanisms in their swings are hard, but if they get them right look really impressive.

Do the cover guys always do a mocap session?

Yeah, that follow through does seem to come up on fly balls if I think about it. Hopefully they've added some more, but from the trailers so far it looks like that one is the norm still.

# 91 Heroesandvillains @ 02/26/14 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Here's a Quick Counts box score for SP from a game I just finished. Game was on All-Star difficulty.

F.Hernandez (me) (98 Stamina rating) (W) 7.2 IP, 3H, 0R, 0ER, 3BB, 5 SO, 0.00 ERA, 118 pitches

C.Lee (99 Stamina rating) 7.0 IP, 4H, 0R, 0ER, 1 BB, 4 SO, 0.00 ERA, 99 pitches
Sounds like a nail-biter! I love pitchers duels. Come on, don't leave us hanging here! At least tell us if you played at Safeco and whether or not Cano walked you off in style!

Thanks for the pitching lines, Ramone. I'm sure posts like this will help alleviate the concerns of people worrying about QC's realism.

# 92 Perfect Zero @ 02/26/14 07:35 PM
Although it has probably been said in this topic, I'm glad to see that the Rangers' new wordmarks made the game on the uniforms. Unfortunately, the team made them misspell "The Ballpark in Arlington."

# 93 aukevin @ 02/26/14 07:41 PM
I'm coming around on Quick Counts, I think I will really like it. Question though, any thoughts on making the count notification banner an option to hide? I'd rather just look at the score bug than have that big pop up every at bat. I get the need for it at first but after a few games I'd be used to Quick Counts and I wouldn't want to see that pop up all the time.

# 94 Knight165 @ 02/26/14 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
I'm coming around on Quick Counts, I think I will really like it. Question though, any thoughts on making the count notification banner an option to hide? I'd rather just look at the score bug than have that big pop up every at bat. I get the need for it at first but after a few games I'd be used to Quick Counts and I wouldn't want to see that pop up all the time.
While I wouldn't mind for an option to hide it.....while using it in November....it was easy to forget to look and you would take a pitch thinking it was 0-0.
It was probably from feedback from a lot of people using it.

M.K.
Knight165

# 95 Russell_SCEA @ 02/26/14 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
It's always on. Before we added the osd everyone complained they didn't like looking up at the scorebug for every batter.

# 96 Russell_SCEA @ 02/26/14 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Sounds like a nail-biter! I love pitchers duels. Come on, don't leave us hanging here! At least tell us if you played at Safeco and whether or not Cano walked you off in style!

Thanks for the pitching lines, Ramone. I'm sure posts like this will help alleviate the concerns of people worrying about QC's realism.
Here's another one.

M.Moore (80 stamina rating) 6.0 IP, 3H, 0R, 0ER, 2BB, 4 SO, 0.00 ERA, 99 pitches

G.Cole (me) (89 stamina rating) 7.0 IP, 4H, 0R, 4BB, 6 SO, 0.00 ERA, 114 pitches

Won this game in the bottom of the 12 with a walk off by N.Walker.

# 97 saintjimbo1885 @ 02/26/14 08:11 PM
I notice in one of the PS3 pictures that there is a an attribute for stealing.... anybody know if this is just base running ability renamed or if it is a totally new attribute??

# 98 Knight165 @ 02/26/14 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjimbo1885
I notice in one of the PS3 pictures that there is a an attribute for stealing.... anybody know if this is just base running ability renamed or if it is a totally new attribute??
Unless they changed something from November....I think it's just renamed.
I only saw one new item in the editor(I didn't look at gear or such) and that was the potential "attribute".
There might be one more new thing in the editor....I can't be sure...(but not an attribute)

M.K.
Knight165

# 99 Bat @ 02/26/14 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby_SCEA
In the dev blog, you saw both the RTTS/Player Lock camera and the new Dynamic batting camera. They are similar, but definitely different. The Dynamic camera is designed to work in non-RTTS modes like Exhibition, Franchise, etc. You will all of course be seeing more of these as more footage is released.
That is freaking awesome! Huge step up. Thanks!

# 100 aukevin @ 02/26/14 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
While I wouldn't mind for an option to hide it.....while using it in November....it was easy to forget to look and you would take a pitch thinking it was 0-0.
It was probably from feedback from a lot of people using it.

M.K.
Knight165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
It's always on. Before we added the osd everyone complained they didn't like looking up at the scorebug for every batter.
Thanks. I totally get the need for the display, I would forget too. But I guess I was thinking 100 games down the line I wouldn't need it. I'll probably agree with you guys once i get my hands on it (in May!). Just wondering what your thoughts were on hiding it or minimizing it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.