Home
NHL 15 News Post

Presumably, EA has been quietly smithing away on the next version of the NHL series for at least the last year — and possibly longer if you count pre-production and other early research and development. The reality is that the company couldn't release a game for the next-generation console launches, as there just wasn't the install base to provide adequate return on investment. The NHL series, as I've noted before, has been on a very gentle slide in the last couple of years (even though the games have been consistently solid), and this extra year allows the smaller-than-average dev team to figure out what they really want to do with the next evolution in hockey video games.

Read More - NHL 15: Three Keys to Success

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 PhilBuff24 @ 03/05/14 02:17 PM
Better ultimate team mode!!

# 2 Cletus @ 03/05/14 02:47 PM
I don't know why they won't give us options. They think stick on stick collisions will be too hard? Why not put that in Hardcore Simulation mode? It is called hardcore simluation, after all. We've been waiting months to make this game resemble NHL style hockey via rosters, so don't tell us what we don't want in our games.

# 3 Rufio2031 @ 03/05/14 04:01 PM
What Cletus said. I understand scaring people away that aren't into simulation, but they're essentially doing the exact opposite with people wanting simulation. Why don't we have the option to essentially turn Hitting Power down 53 clicks?

# 4 Cardot @ 03/05/14 04:56 PM
They might want to tap a litlte more into the Winter Classic/Stadium Series that seems to be pretty popular these days. They should have all outdoor venues used since 2008, and perhaps a few generic arenas for cities that haven't yet had an outdoor event.

# 5 actionhank @ 03/05/14 05:59 PM
This is my problem with EA. They're too inclined to cater towards the casual crowd, which is fine, until they then try to just band-aid a "hardcore' mode onto it. It would be one thing if they focused on a more hardcore mode as much as casual, but what they tend to just is just try and bend and shape things from their casual mode to seem more hardcore, which makes it weak at best.
If EA would just focus on both, and then allow users the ability to easily create rosters, better player models, and even import their own textures for sweaters and faces into the game, they could not focus on that as much, as the community would easily take the reigns on that themselves.
I know if EA added a way to upload your own player models for everyone to download, and custom skins for players and jerseys, i would gladly go through and edit the Blues to look their best, while i'm sure others would do what they do now despite EA making it difficult, to get the rosters accurate.
EA sports has been more disappointing recently, and i worry there won't be much reason to be excited for 15.

# 6 gsize19 @ 03/05/14 06:21 PM
Recreating the wheel is not what is needed. EA put a stellar product out finally with NHL14. While I disagree with the reviewer assertions that the skill stick was impressive, to me, it made up to 10 figure skaters on the ice at any given time, and led to a massive amount of glitch goals. Menus, it doesn't affect me one way or another than the menu screen is bland, it gives EA more ability to use that space in the game. Then career mode. Honestly, I like using the teams as they are on the ice with as much of a real-time roster as they can get, that would be the ultimate career mode for me, or a new BeAGM option. I was never drafted to play professional hockey, therefore, I don't play career mode with me often, and from looking at others and hearing from others, neither do they, they use their created player in EASHL games, not BeAPro, which takes space. They need to enhance the BeAGM, that is a selling point for me, they need to add a more updated roster system, similar to 2k basketball for years. Some of us would much rather play offline than online, so that we have a simulation hockey experience, when I am chasing down an xXSuper_SkillzXx (fictious name), that is not hockey. If they do anything with online, I would hope they update their servers mostly, for those few times I do play online, and for others that play there religiously, we have a pretty smoothe game, and not a lagfest, like I have had with Madden25 on the PS4. Lastly, do not get rid of classic controls as being an option. I don't like the skill stick, (just my opinion), and some of us would rather use the classic controls, not the 94 controls, but the X's and O's...

# 7 Majingir @ 03/05/14 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
I don't know why they won't give us options. They think stick on stick collisions will be too hard? Why not put that in Hardcore Simulation mode? It is called hardcore simluation, after all. We've been waiting months to make this game resemble NHL style hockey via rosters, so don't tell us what we don't want in our games.
They never said stick on stick collisions will be too hard, they just said it won't be "fun"....

Whether they think it's fun or not is irrelevant, it's part of hockey and it should be in the game!

Penalties NEED to be fixed in this game. Penalty system from NHL12-14 is horrible, the worst of any hockey game I've ever played before in my life. NHL 12/13 were my 2 least fave hockey games ever for reasons like penalties,skating,hitting,overall physics.

# 8 GlennN @ 03/05/14 06:51 PM
BeAGM (offline) has really stagnated over the last several years and needs an overhaul.

# 9 DJ @ 03/05/14 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
They never said stick on stick collisions will be too hard, they just said it won't be "fun"....

Whether they think it's fun or not is irrelevant, it's part of hockey and it should be in the game!

Penalties NEED to be fixed in this game. Penalty system from NHL12-14 is horrible, the worst of any hockey game I've ever played before in my life. NHL 12/13 were my 2 least fave hockey games ever for reasons like penalties,skating,hitting,overall physics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
BeAGM (offline) has really stagnated over the last several years and needs an overhaul.
This and this. Penalties improved somewhat in 14; 13 they were non-existent. I think NHL 10-11 was the high point on the 360/PS3.

# 10 desperado462 @ 03/06/14 09:11 AM
I REALLY wish they would simply allow us to edit ratings IN SEASON while playing GM Mode. I've often found that during the season some players are rated horribly wrong and need to be corrected. MLB The Show allows you to do this and it keeps the game up to date without having to restart a GM Mode season all over again. Also, make it easier (ie: a Commissioner mode) to control teams that aren't yours to keep up with trades or player moves if you want to mirror real life. This isn't that hard...also ROSTER SHARING IS A MUST..EA is LIGHTYEARS behind this

# 11 GROGtheNailer @ 03/06/14 10:20 AM
This ====> Improved AI / Unique Player Styles. I agree totally, it is a big let down year after year. The players all seem the same for sure and that needs fixing. The AI really really needs an overhaul

# 12 NHLandPESFan @ 03/06/14 12:02 PM
List of things I would like to see:
1. Offline multiteam career mode. I am tired of saying it but 2k8 had a pretty good one, why does EA ignore this year after year? It's been 7 years!
2. Better presentation. New commenters, each team's goal horns, it would be cool to have arena customized goal celebrations like the bell rings with everybody counting the goals that they have in St. Louis.
3. Better collision detection. If someone takes a shot on me from the point and I have a player in the path of the shot, the shot will go through my player unless I hit the poke check button or some kind of animation. This has been in the series for years.
4. Better player separation. I actually think NHL 14 was a step up in this but there is still a ways to go.
5. Better ratings, my Devils are 4.5 stars on offense last I looked. That is generous to say the least.

# 13 SVCbearcat10 @ 03/06/14 12:51 PM
I think AI will be key to the future of the NHL series. That being said, it could be cool to have a sim option with stick on stick collisions on and such. For a casual hockey fan, I think going more of a sim route will make it less playable. If you really pay attention, there is a big difference in how your 3rd line plays and what they can do compared to your 1st line. However with a video game and how frequent line changes are, I don't think implementing that difference in talent and play style works. You have to really know your players so you know how to play depending on who's on the ice. That's a lot to be aware of, where as now, you have a similar experience across any line that's on. They must give options!

# 14 Dispatch @ 03/06/14 02:28 PM
EA needs to start from the ground up when it comes to next gen. The game physics have been improved recently but they still have a long way to go. Until we get updated physics and AI I could care less about all of the other modes you guys are talking about. If the gameplay isn't there who cares if you can control every team in GM mode.

# 15 THESHAMISASHAME @ 03/06/14 03:24 PM
Please EA Dont turn this fine series into mlb the show on ice with little to no real player interaction or skill and if people want straight sim go play a cpu sim or strat o matic as this is still a video game and if you set up the right sliders its incredibly fun while maintaining a sim atmosphere SO please dont take the fun out of this game

But do add more options so all can enjoy in there own way and lots more presentations stuff and create a goalie mask would be amazing

# 16 THESHAMISASHAME @ 03/06/14 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufio2031
What Cletus said. I understand scaring people away that aren't into simulation, but they're essentially doing the exact opposite with people wanting simulation. Why don't we have the option to essentially turn Hitting Power down 53 clicks?
Hi I dont want NHL jam either but its a fine line between sim and fun and let me tell you unless your just watching the game its no fun being overridden in sake of sim and whats worse is being given freebies for things you didnt earn either (see mlb the show ) so the happy medium is let the players play with smart AI and some sliders with depth !

I just dont understand the fascination of 100% sim these days in video sports games ? As I said before its doesnt work well with video games so watch NHL , play Hockey , strato board game or a cpu sim game if you want numbers and total realism.

If you look at the low sports games sales numbers its obvious most gamers dont want a un interactive experience either for sake of sim .

# 17 Majingir @ 03/06/14 04:00 PM
NHL 14 has done horrible in sales, so hopefully it is a wakeup call for EA to revamp the series. NHL14 has done the worst sales since NHL 07-09 days.

# 18 jyoung @ 03/06/14 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
NHL 14 has done horrible in sales, so hopefully it is a wakeup call for EA to revamp the series. NHL14 has done the worst sales since NHL 07-09 days.
Even though unit sales are down, I would assume the franchise's overall revenue is still doing alright thanks to all the people who spend money on Ultimate Team and attribute boost packs.

Those revenue streams didn't exist until NHL 10 (boosts) and NHL 11 (HUT).

The fact that they've spent hardly any money on updating the presentation since NHL 08 has probably helped their bottom line, too.

# 19 dxdude2004 @ 03/06/14 04:38 PM
EA is very, very lazy IMO. Everything is too magnetic on superstar hardcore sim. No, I don't suck. I can't help that a computer controlled player holds onto me like a magnet or somehow gets the puck off me without doing anything.

# 20 enice128 @ 03/06/14 10:00 PM
"While player faces won't be equal to that EA Sports UFC"??? If NBA 2K, FIFA & MLB can do it then why can't this dev team??? Presentation is a MUST for the new consoles as well as the broadcast duo...it's sooooo stale already! Nobody calls a game as the Doc does.....Emerick that is!!!

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.