Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

EA Sports revealed the top rookies in Madden NFL 15 by rating today, including a quick video and new screenshots.

A more detailed look at the rookie ratings can be seen here.

Here's the list:
  1. DE - Jadeveon Clowney - Houston (83 Overall)
  2. OL - Greg Robinson - St. Louis (83 Overall)
  3. OLB -Khalil Mack - Oakland (81 Overall)
  4. OL - Jake Matthews - Atlanta (81 Overall)
  5. WR - Sammy Watkins - Buffalo (80 Overall)
  6. S - Calvyn Pryor - New York Jets (79 Overall)
  7. DL - Aaron Donald - St. Louis (79 Overall)
  8. S - Haha Clinton Dix - Green Bay (79 Overall)
  9. OL - Taylor Lewan - Tennessee (79 Overall)
  10. QB - Blake Bortles - Jacksonville (78 Overall)
  11. CB - Darqueze Dennard - Cincinnati (78 Overall)
  12. WR - Mike Evans - Tampa Bay (78 Overall)
  13. OL - Zack Martin - Dallas (78 Overall)
What do you think of the ratings? Any glaring misses?

Here is a look at the release date schedule for more ratings.
  • Mon, July 21 – Top 10 Overall Rookies
  • Tues, July 22 – Top 5 Overall QBs
  • Wed, July 23 – Top 5 Overall RBs
  • Thurs, July 24 – Top 5 Overall WRs/Top 5 Overall TEs
  • Fri, July 25 – Top 5 Overall OL Players
  • Sat, July 26 – Top 5 Overall DEs
  • Sun, July 27 – Top 5 Overall DTs
  • Mon, July 28 – Top 5 Overall LBs
  • Tues, July 29 – Top 5 Overall CBs
  • Wed, July 30 – Top 5 Overall Safeties
  • Thurs, July 31 – Top 5 Overall Special Teams
  • Fri, Aug 1 – Top 10 Overall Players/Full AFC & NFC North Ratings
  • Sat, Aug 2 – Full AFC & NFC South Ratings
  • Sun, Aug 3 – Full AFC & NFC East Ratings
  • Mon, Aug 4 – Full AFC & NFC West Ratings
  • Tues, Aug 5 – Ratings Recap

Madden NFL 15 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 15 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 15 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 15 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 marvinCB21 @ 07/21/14 08:49 PM
As far a rookie ratings i have no problem with them coming in and some being high. When playing madden and sorting out depth charts i hardly pay any attention to overall anyway bcuz all it mean is that individual probably has very low awareness. If an DB has great cover skills and low awareness i may still put them in the nickel or dime no matter wat the overall may be. But then again that may change in this years madden if player sense and all that good stuff is really taken into account. But all in all its not impossible for rookies to come in and be great. Football is football and if you have elite talent it will show

# 42 charter04 @ 07/21/14 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganfan8620
I don't know this for sure, but I'm guessing that the reason the ratings are so high on here for rookies is most likely so that they progress correctly over time in CFM modes. Yes, it isn't a perfect system, but it does make sense. If they lower the technical skills to where you want them since they are unproven, then they might not develop correctly in CFM compared to other players. I'm not defending EA's ratings, as many of you are right, Clowney has too high of PMV, Robinson may have a bit too high of RBK, and there are more, but saying so-and-so has too high of an OVR is too quick to judge. You can't say that until you have seen what other players at the position are rated. Some of these guys are overrated, but some are also underrated, EA realizes that and just tries to take a moderate approach in terms of OVR. Look at Sheldon Richardson, taken number 26 last year. Had he been rated even 85 in the first ratings, most people would be freaking out, talking about inflation of rookies. However, he played as one of the better 3-4 ends in the league, justifying a rating that high. He was rated mid-high 70's I believe in the initial ratings. A few of these rookies even make the pro bowl some years, thus, I don't believe it is right to say EA over-rates rookies every year, even though some of them are under-rated based on the way they perform.
I don't think they are too high in the Madden system. I just hate the total overrating of all players madden does. If you just go by how they compare to the other overrated players then I agree it's about right. It's just hard to get sim games when 50% of the league is 90 overall or higher and if 90 speed is average for a skill player. That is one of the big reason Madden is to fast as far as gameplay goes. IMO

# 43 michiganfan8620 @ 07/21/14 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
I don't think they are too high in the Madden system. I just hate the total overrating of all players madden does. If you just go by how they compare to the other overrated players then I agree it's about right. It's just hard to get sim games when 50% of the league is 90 overall or higher and if 90 speed is average for a skill player. That is one of the big reason Madden is to fast as far as gameplay goes. IMO
While yes I can agree that it is a total overrating as far as numbers seem to go. However, the numbers they use seem to go fairly in line with what a player could do in real life in terms of speed. It seems like they travel 40 yards in the right amount of time as compared to 40s for the most part. Yes, some of the technical skills are overrated across the board, but physically, I think Madden is pretty close on most players.

# 44 charter04 @ 07/21/14 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
One thing I would like to see vis-a-vis player ratings is a version of the video stream we got the other day on gameplay that really focuses on the philosophy of the ratings system in Madden and spells out their objectives with various ratings, their methodology for arriving at ratings, etc.

I have a lot of respect for Rex's and RG's philosophies behind the gameplay stuff we saw, and I think that if Madden tried to articulate a cogent ratings philosophy for public consumption, we would get one of two results, either of which could be good in its way. Either we would learn that there isn't really a coherent philosophy or set of objectives, methodologies, etc., and that would hopefully lead to the development of a cogent philosophy, or we would learn that there is a philosophy in place, we would learn what it is, and then we could live with it and either agree or agree to disagree.

I would also love to hear something specific about how the game links certain numerical ratings to animation sets. For example, if Khalil Mack has 80 tackle, what does that allow him to do in-game that a player with 70 tackle can't? Or if he has an 84 block shed, what does that allow him to do that a guy with 75 block shed can't do?

Coming at it that way might enable us to move beyond basic disagreements about numbers to a more function-driven discussion that focuses on how the game renders the data in the gameplay engine. That, to me, is as big a topic of discussion as the raw data discussions that DCEBB pursues.
I would love that so much. I also want to see them breakdown of sliders too. I just hope they even know the answers. I'm not trying to be funny. I really wonder how much they know about what does what. It seems some ratings do nothing in game. Maybe some are for simmed games. I know it was just confirmed that Pass block strength and footwork and the same in the run block ones don't do anything in game. Clint O said it on twitter.

# 45 trey2k198003 @ 07/21/14 09:09 PM
Losing faith we will ever get franchise mode news don't think the updated at all

# 46 charter04 @ 07/21/14 09:10 PM
Quote:
While yes I can agree that it is a total overrating as far as numbers seem to go. However, the numbers they use seem to go fairly in line with what a player could do in real life in terms of speed. It seems like they travel 40 yards in the right amount of time as compared to 40s for the most part. Yes, some of the technical skills are overrated across the board, but physically, I think Madden is pretty close on most players.
I have to humbly disagree. IMO they have overrated speed and other physical traits for years. They usually don't even go by the same 40 time equals speed rating that they used for years with rookies in their draft classes and the recruits in NCAA.

And just to be clear I still like Madden. Warts and all. I'm looking forward to this game. It's a day one digital buy for me. I just get frustrated that they make things worse with some of the things they do to please players, EA, and some fans with these ratings. I know from experience the game plays better and more realistic with more toned down and realistic ratings.

# 47 4thQtrStre5S @ 07/21/14 09:20 PM
Ratings again too high, maybe...I really question the effects of player ratings to begin with, and think it is all or mostly all about slider settings....

I would like to see more true ratings based on true data, and if that data is available through a webpage like FBGamers - then they should be used....

I really, want another video that starts with a complete detailed walk through of the slider system, HUM, CPU and Penalty, and how the act, react, interact, depend on, etc. anything and everything in the game...

At this point, for example, I can tune and fine tune pass blocking by using the "Pass Block" slider, which also has an effect on QB accuracy, which would make sense in a pure time to throw manner, but I think Pass Block rating may go farther than that; but then according to a number of people who have studied sliders, I can further adjust how my Pass blocking or blocking in general produces through penalty sliders such as "False Start," "Offside," and "Clipping."

SO lets get this thing nailed down; and for at least CPU sliders, "Punt Accuracy," is actually "K.O. Power," and "K.O. Power," is actually "Punt Accuracy." Lets get this worked out damnit....

Sorry I digressed from pure ratings, but hell, sliders or ratings, same difference....shake my head...

# 48 ggsimmonds @ 07/21/14 09:23 PM
One of the things about ratings is how EA manipulates overalls by adjusting individual attributes.

My go to example is Joe Flacco. Look back a few seasons ago and check his arm strength. Then check it after he won SB MVP. Then check what it was on the last update this past season.

Has his arm strength changed? Of course not. EA raises or lowers his THP to achieve a desired overall. Of course they do this for several players, I just cite Joe because I am a Ravens fan and his overall fluctuates frequently. Ray Rice's speed is another example.

EA/Moore have a preconceived overall in mind for each player so they tweak attributes to reach that goal or.

This is bad for two reasons.
First it is manipulation and I don't like that. Second it should tell them there is a problem with Madden's ratings if when they give guys what they believe to be accurate ratings does not result in accurate results.

Hopefully the new change in gameplay mindset will lead to a change in rating philosophy.

# 49 4thQtrStre5S @ 07/21/14 09:33 PM
I really feel that all the warm fuzzy I got from the LiveStream video the other day, has just been destroyed by the fact that the ratings are gonna be the same over-rated, useless numbers.

# 50 Hobbes217 @ 07/21/14 09:42 PM
I might be the odd one out but I actually support these "high" ratings. First off I'm sure EA wants the top players rated fairly high otherwise they wouldn't be as fun to play with. If Manziel was a 66 and Clowney was a 71 there would be very little hype for the rookie class and the game. Also higher ratings give the players more of an impact. We all know that rookies (some, not all) are going to excel and going to make a huge difference for their teams this year, we just can't always predict who. Other than free agency, without the draft there's not much else to shake up the rosters from year to year.

Also there were 256 players drafted and probable a few dozen more UDFA that will make rosters this year. If only 13 rookies are rated 78+ that's only 5% of the new class making it into the upper 70s and being impact starters in the game.

Also it could be worse. Remember when Reggie Bush came out as a 87 OVR?

# 51 CT Pitbull @ 07/21/14 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
OMG these ratings are atrocious again. In what world would any OL have an acceleration that high if you are using real data?

In fact, did you know that the average NFL player actually averages a higher SPD rating (top end velocity) than ACC rating (initial velocity as defined by the game)? This continued over-inflation of OVR ratings and attributes must stop. This stuff keeps ruining the game and the developers' credibility, IMO.

I KNOW we aren't supposed to do this but "the guy" that does the ratings hasn't got a clue and with the way my Bears depth chart looks, year in and year out I wonder if he has ever seen chicagobears.com or csn Chicago? I have tweeted him changes some years and NOTHING ever gets corrected. I am willing to bet money that the "Czar" will have Josh Morgan or Eric Weems, or maybe even Armanti Edwards listed as our 3rd (slot)WR instead of Marquess Wilson.

I see many tweets in my future.

And another thing. With all the negative feedback and flack that this guy and EA get about the ratings, I wonder if they have ever thought about changing the method? I wonder if they have ever played a game of Madden with FBG ratings? I wonder if they have ever tested something else while in development?

I wonder if they realize that soo many people believe their game plays sooo much better WITHOUT their inflated home grown ratings?

# 52 charter04 @ 07/21/14 10:04 PM
Dan, the guy who runs FBG ratings had an interview for that job and they asked if he would alter ratings if an EA exec wanted him to for different reasons. I believe that is the reason he didn't take or whatever. They know all about his site. I just think these ratings have become a monster that won't change. I think they don't want to offend players too much. People look at them like it's the official ratings. I'm not even sure he he uses the scouting data that FBG ratings uses that costs a lot of money to get. Stuff NFL teams use. I mean does anyone think NFL teams get their data from NFL.com?

# 53 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/14 10:08 PM
Quote:
I don't know this for sure, but I'm guessing that the reason the ratings are so high on here for rookies is most likely so that they progress correctly over time in CFM modes. Yes, it isn't a perfect system, but it does make sense. If they lower the technical skills to where you want them since they are unproven, then they might not develop correctly in CFM compared to other players. I'm not defending EA's ratings, as many of you are right, Clowney has too high of PMV, Robinson may have a bit too high of RBK, and there are more, but saying so-and-so has too high of an OVR is too quick to judge. You can't say that until you have seen what other players at the position are rated. Some of these guys are overrated, but some are also underrated, EA realizes that and just tries to take a moderate approach in terms of OVR. Look at Sheldon Richardson, taken number 26 last year. Had he been rated even 85 in the first ratings, most people would be freaking out, talking about inflation of rookies. However, he played as one of the better 3-4 ends in the league, justifying a rating that high. He was rated mid-high 70's I believe in the initial ratings. A few of these rookies even make the pro bowl some years, thus, I don't believe it is right to say EA over-rates rookies every year, even though some of them are under-rated based on the way they perform.

Completely disagree here. Rookies should have those ratings warranted when they EARN THEM. NOT before their first season starts! They haven't even entered camp yet (except for the Bills)! I would prefer, in CFM, to have REALISTIC physical attributes and then build on them with XP going to honing the skills...you know...LIKE IN REAL LIFE. From this day forward, for every season accrued, these players will get slower, less agile, less twitchy, and even less strong as their bodies deteriorate over time. What is it that keeps the good ones in the game? THEIR TECHNICAL SKILLS! They learn to amass so much knowledge and technique, that they can overcome their physical regression with better technique and training.

Do you think Jerry Rice was productive in Oakland because he still ran a 4.58? He was productive because he was easily the smartest, most experienced player on the field who could turn blanket coverage by a corner's raw ability into a 5 yard deficit by running a route at 99% accuracy. But instead, we can increase speed, agility, yada, yada, yada.

The data I have shows that teams grade rookies very low and after, and ONLY after they prove their worth, do their grades go up. NOT before they even play one competitive snap against the best in the world! EA's logic is BACKWARD. Rate them as they are NOW, not what you "think" they "may" be in the future. Nobody has a crystal ball and that is why we get draft busts. Let these guys prove it first!

# 54 charter04 @ 07/21/14 10:16 PM
Quote:
Completely disagree here. Rookies should have those ratings warranted when they EARN THEM. NOT before their first season starts! They haven't even entered camp yet (except for the Bills)! I would prefer, in CFM, to have REALISTIC physical attributes and then build on them with XP going to honing the skills...you know...LIKE IN REAL LIFE. From this day forward, for every season accrued, these players will get slower, less agile, less twitchy, and even less strong as their bodies deteriorate over time. What is it that keeps the good ones in the game? THEIR TECHNICAL SKILLS! They learn to amass so much knowledge and technique, that they can overcome their physical regression with better technique and training.

Do you think Jerry Rice was productive in Oakland because he still ran a 4.58? He was productive because he was easily the smartest, most experienced player on the field who could turn blanket coverage by a corner's raw ability into a 5 yard deficit by running a route at 99% accuracy. But instead, we can increase speed, agility, yada, yada, yada.

The data I have shows that teams grade rookies very low and after, and ONLY after they prove their worth, do their grades go up. NOT before they even play one competitive snap against the best in the world! EA's logic is BACKWARD. Rate them as they are NOW, not what you "think" they "may" be in the future. Nobody has a crystal ball and that is why we get draft busts. Let these guys prove it first!
Just to add to the Jerry Rice example even he didn't come into the NFL as this fished product. He was pretty raw his rookie year. He dropped a lot of passes at first. It took time to learn Bill Walsh's system and develop.

# 55 charter04 @ 07/21/14 10:19 PM
I will say this about Donny Moore. He seems like a good guy and seems to work hard and love e his job. I just think he's in a lose lose situation. Some will complain the ratings are too high while others appalled that they are too low. I don't want his job I'll tell you that. Lol

I just feel he uses a faulty way to rate. Seems like watching games, you tube scouting, NFL.com "official" combine numbers, and outside pressure is his total method. It just makes the gameplay less realistic and more arcade, no matter how good a job the gameplay guys do.

# 56 bxphenom7 @ 07/21/14 10:21 PM
Up and down time for Madden. Comes in with the negative stuff it always does, live-stream excites people, then these high ratings bring it back down. Wonder how much the modes changed.

# 57 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/14 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I appreciate what you do but I do have a few concerns.

1. You say you have data to back up your claims but when asked for it you cannot release it for legal reasons. I understand that you are required to abide by the NDA but it still comes off odd. Donny Moore says the same thing.

I have a few people who can attest to the data. Dr. Craig Larner, formerly of Texas A&M University is one of them. Look him up, and contact him to vouch for it. I doubt he would put his professional reputation on the line over myth...especially considering he is a scientist, first and foremost. What Donny often cites is "Youtube Scouting". He has mentioned several times about why players are rated the way they are based on what he sees and references on Youtube. Why else do you think he has Desean Jackson as the fastest player in the league. SMH. BTW, it isn't just one NDA...I had to sign SEVERAL. You don't have to take my word for it, though. You either buy it or you don't. I have often cited on this forum some of the "raw" grades for certain players regarding their attributes. You can look that up. Even that is "borderline" for me, but as long as I am not providing massive downloads, I should be within my legal limits.

2. Regarding the portion about any rookie being tops in any category I must ask, according to who? Your source? Well that is problematic for me. It is almost circular. Rating technical attributes (no matter what your methodology is) is subjective.

The technical ratings are very subjective, yes. However, would you rather trust a brain surgeon when you suffer from a brain embolism or the NASCAR fan who just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night? Everything I do is based on source data. I will refer you to our FAQ page.

3. You also slightly shifted the goal posts a bit on this. You went from "there should NEVER be a player rated that high as a rookie in ANY of those categories." to "not been ONE rookie that entered the league as tops in any category." Has Madden ever rated a rookie as tops in a technical category?

In any of the technical categories, no. Physical? Possibly, but rarely. Data going back to 1997 gives you a pretty broad spectrum of which most players (we add about 2500 of the 9000 rookies to the site every year) fit within. I can't tell you if one came in at the very top, but it wouldn't surprise me. The larger point is that the data I have posits that these rookies shouldn't even be in the top 10% for the most part, with very, very few exceptions. Instead, EA seems to defy that. I am NOT saying it is the end-all, be-all, but based on what I personally know from doing this for several years, even going back to my scouting days as NFLDS, I tend to side with the scouts.

4. This is more of a personal quirk, but I just dislike use of the word never. Just because it has not happened does not mean it will not.

Based on the data I have, it has never happened. This is not the same as saying it won't, but that probability is closer to a guy like me winning the PowerBall...and I don't buy tickets.

5. Regarding PFF and its relationship with Madden, it is a tricky thing. I know you have spoken about the difference between traits and production before and I get what you are saying. But I think the primary goal when rating players in a videogame should be to come as close as possible to replicating real life results. So, and others may disagree, I think matching production should take precedence over traits.

If Madden had a "YPC Outside The Tackles" rating or a "Completion % on Go Routes" rating, then sure, it would work. But even NFL front offices don't draft based on production. They draft based on traits.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/...tion_strategy/

Bill Belichick does the same thing. In fact, he's often given credit for saying it first. That guy can back it up.

6. Most importantly, I am not a fan of Donny Moore. Don't take this as me defending him or anything. Madden's rating philosophy is pretty bad in my view.
Stay calm, and join the Empire.

# 58 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/14 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefJoeHalt
I agree with anything u have said here..one side note I'm "Shocked" Watkins speed is so low..to be honest one of the few positives I see..speed appears to be lowered well except for OL..shm..side note I love JD Clowney..however 90's for power move? Look he did all his work on ability, first step explosion, unreal speed for that size and strength...very little of it was on technique..this is out of control high..when I think 90's power moves I think Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Michael Strahan, the greats, maybe even JJ Watt ..JD Clowney has once every 10/15 year physical gifts not hand placement, counter moves, even leverage..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't have Watkins as a burner, but he has near-elite speed. More fast than quick, though.

http://www.fbgratings.com/members/pr...hp?pyid=119364

# 59 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/14 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
One of the things about ratings is how EA manipulates overalls by adjusting individual attributes.

My go to example is Joe Flacco. Look back a few seasons ago and check his arm strength. Then check it after he won SB MVP. Then check what it was on the last update this past season.

Has his arm strength changed? Of course not. EA raises or lowers his THP to achieve a desired overall. Of course they do this for several players, I just cite Joe because I am a Ravens fan and his overall fluctuates frequently. Ray Rice's speed is another example.

EA/Moore have a preconceived overall in mind for each player so they tweak attributes to reach that goal or.

This is bad for two reasons.
First it is manipulation and I don't like that. Second it should tell them there is a problem with Madden's ratings if when they give guys what they believe to be accurate ratings does not result in accurate results.

Hopefully the new change in gameplay mindset will lead to a change in rating philosophy.
I once tried to rate players solely on their individual attributes, being the most realistic way to grade a player. Once the calculated OVR ratings went up, my inbox was flooded with hate-mail about how Wes Welker should be a 95 and not a 75 because he is not the most athletic guy out there...just very savvy and played with two of the best QBs to ever play the game.

# 60 michiganfan8620 @ 07/21/14 10:29 PM
Quote:

The problem is, CFM would likely be broken then. Rookies would be at a massive disadvantage, as none of them would likely develop properly compared to the other young players who have played a year. Then we'd have people complaining about that. It's a lose-lose situation.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.