Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

EA Sports is currently livestreaming Madden NFL 15, detailing the presentation and graphics. (Note: As of 3:30 PM EST, the stream has now ended. We'll effort an archived version soon!)

UPDATE: Click here to watch the archived stream. (It takes some time to load...)

Here are some thoughts on the stream today:
  • The halftime show is definitely improved and of good quality. The problem will be most will find it perfectly skippable, but there aren't any real cases where a halftime show is must-see TV, even in real-life. It's sponsored by Verizon, so there's that.
  • Commentary was ok, you didn't hear much of it due to the dev commentary over the gameplay, but it seemed to flow a bit better. We won't know anything about that until a later date.
  • Coaches have unique body types and head models, so they do look better. Coaches we saw today (Reid, Tomlin mainly) were definitely a step up.
  • Celebrations and such definitely are smoother/more aware of the context they're happening in since they happen within the gameplay itself and not a loaded cut-scene. Still some wonky instances but overall better.
  • The developers talked about equipment a bit. The new uniforms for each team are going to be in, and uniform/helmet degradation are in as well.
  • Switching of cameras was very smooth, definitely a huge improvement there.
  • Sidelines are much busier now, more people on them, etc. They still don't look perfect, but from where we were to where we are now, huge improvement.
  • Overall the presentation is quite good in-game this year, it definitely has a new layer of polish on it that wasn't there last year. It's not perfect, but clearly its taken yet another leap ahead this season.
What did you think of the stream?

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 421 strawberryshortcake @ 08/03/14 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
The philosophical schism that exists between EA and a large percentage of posters here when it comes to presentation, will never be mended. EA(The Brass) doesn't want people to forget that they're playing a video game, ever. Keeping the brand in the forefront of the gamer mind seems to be one of EA's core tenets. I'm playing Madden Football by Electronic Arts. is what they want people to always be thinking, not I'm playing an unbelievably authentic NFL Football simulation.

Now those things don't have to be mutually exclusive, but it is obvious that many of their design decisions put the brand ahead of true representation of the sport. Not every Publisher and or Developer thinks that way, but this one does.

The animation issue is more a head scratcher. It's seems to be lack of talent or lack of resource allocation.
Then what about EA's fifa presentation package? It looks very much broadcast like and gives the gamer the impression that he or she is playing real life soccer but more importantly watching a real life broadcast soccer game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
You know, the FIFA team already said after seeing the power of the PS4 has given them the power to add new animations and blend animations to make more organic and natural looking footballer movements. (Yes, I know it's Soccer to us haha). But why can't the Madden team realize this? Blend animations, or add new ones. BETTER YET, rip the old animation base out and start fresh! The goal is too MAKE IT LOOK ORGANIC AND REALISTIC! NOT ROBOTIC. (I think if the MLB team can rip out the entire ball physics codebase and rewrite it from scratch in ONE (1) dev cycle, then the animation team for Madden can step their game up too.)
In addition to adding better animation and blend animations to make things more organic and natural looking movements, Madden needs to implement Fifa's unadvertised footplanting animation system because I have never seen any players in fifa slide at all. If they're out of position to make the play, they're out of position. No one magically recovers or speeds up to get back into position because it appears that it is physics that dictates the outcome, physics driven gameplay outcome, not something scripted.

Fifa also has essentially "loose" ball passing physics where both the defender and the offensive player has every chance to fight for the ball. Passes or crosses in fifa can be over or under "thrown."

Also look at fifa's goalie play for instance -- no magical suction, speeding up when Fifia's goalies are out of position. They can "ignite-share" this technology as part of the defensive back arsenal to try and stop the ball (e.g. tip passes, batted ball, intercepted balls, etc.) from getting caught by receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...h-here-40.html

Just look at EA's Fifa title to know that it can be done. From what I do see, there's certainly ball physics to the soccer ball. One can pass to a certain spot, and both the defender and offensive player can attack the ball. The ball in fifa is not exactly scripted so to speak. When the goalie kicks the ball to center field, the ball is "loose," and who gets the ball is dictated by who's in the proper position. During passes/crosses, it's really determined based on the players position on the field. You can overpass or underpass your intended target. No warping, no suction animation, no suction interactions, great footplanting, unadvertised true step, jostling between offensive and defensive player really fighting for the ball. Better pursuit angles. A lot of things done correctly in Fifa.

EA Madden needs to use the Ignite sharing feature and take these crucial gameplay element and put it in Madden. OS member Valdarez mentioned something about how EA Madden does things differently (something related to frame rates, etc. etc.), and Big FN Deal touched on it as well. But to take Madden to the next level, they really need to probably bring in a coder/programmer along with their tech from Fifa -- maybe they did this already, but they really need to be adamant about implementing some relevant Fifa technology even if it means rewriting the Madden code.

# 422 kehlis @ 08/03/14 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericasTeam
I'm an older gamer. I loved 2K5 and still have it. I've hated on EA probably more than most here. I want competition and want this game to improve quickly. The sad thing is, some can't give credit where it's due. This game looks to be a ton better than 25 (still has many issues).
Great post all around but I just wanted to comment on this paragraph..

I think the problem is that we've all been through this before, as recently as last year.

I guarantee you people are ready and willing to give credit where credit is due but we aren't going to do it for sure until what we see is what we get.

Most have admitted it looks pretty good but we've been duped before. As has been mentioned many times, we ALL want a good game. I just won't proclaim it one until it's in my hands.

# 423 headzapp @ 08/03/14 02:48 PM
i wish there could be cbs logos in the presentation to bring us deeper in the game. There was a game a long time ago that used espn, and it makes it feel more real. Same with mlb the show they need to sign with mlb network, or espn. I'm happy that nhl uses nbc now. Make it seem that was are playing/watching a real game, instead of seeing the EA logo all the time. I'm not complaining or anything.
What I find annoying is sometimes after a play, and as is shown in this video is when two teammates both bend over and clap their hands in sync of each other.
I'm happy that I heard they fixed the snow.
The only other thing is, is when you rebuild a stadium the logo in he endzone is changed. I gave the Rams a new stadium, and in the endzone it has the old St. Louis Rams logo, instead of saying Rams how is normally is. I wish we could choose what we wanted there. No big deal.
Anyway this game looks beautiful, and a huge jump from last year. I thought 25 was great, and this is going to blow it out of the water.

# 424 ODogg @ 08/03/14 02:55 PM
Here's my opinion, I think the game looks incredible and I have already pre-ordered it for PS4. There looks to be a HUGE leap from Madden 25 to this year, possibly one of the largest leaps in the history of the series.

As for those who are on here complaining and unhappy....they can continue to find happiness in misery. As far as I'm concerned I will be playing and enjoying a great game of football while a large number of OS'ers will be playing the game to make Youtube videos of the bugs they've found, which I suppose is their idea of enjoying the game, by finding it's flaws. SMH...

# 425 The JareBear @ 08/03/14 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Here's my opinion, I think the game looks incredible and I have already pre-ordered it for PS4. There looks to be a HUGE leap from Madden 25 to this year, possibly one of the largest leaps in the history of the series.

As for those who are on here complaining and unhappy....they can continue to find happiness in misery. As far as I'm concerned I will be playing and enjoying a great game of football while a large number of OS'ers will be playing the game to make Youtube videos of the bugs they've found, which I suppose is their idea of enjoying the game, by finding it's flaws. SMH...
People just want simulation football man. No harm in discussing the stream footage in a sports video game forum. Lot of very constructive posts here bro. For every positive post that gets slammed by people with an agenda against EA, I feel there's an equally unfair post like this that slams anybody who makes valid points concerning issues they see in hopes that issues get fixed one day.

I agree that graphics are a huge leap this year, I have yet to see huge leaps in gameplay though

# 426 SageInfinite @ 08/03/14 04:24 PM
Quote:

Lol. Why do people who don't think Madden is incredible have to be miserable? I voice a ton of my displeasures and still have enjoyed Madden 25 on PS4. There's alot to like this year so far imo, but the game isn't still where I need to be dancing in the street on release day. Sometimes it seems like the people who enjoy Madden are more unhappy that everybody doesn't feel like them, than the guys who think Madden needs more improvement.

I just don't get why we are so divided as a community at times......

# 427 Primo80 @ 08/03/14 04:38 PM
Quote:

It's the way Madden doesn't outsmart players in the game of football that draws disappointment from longtime fans. It's not the game of chess that we have wanted.

At one end of the spectrum is a finely polished game like GTA V with a steep learning curve, tons of things to discover, and not many rough edges.

On this end is the yearly release, that just by its nature, cant hold the interest or attention of the hardcore players. Tiburon just has way too much on their plate and way too many things to cover. They are stretched too thin to get gameplay where it needs to be and also touch all the other categories.

This year looks like they touched a lot of aspects and made a game at least worthy of the Madden name.

# 428 SageInfinite @ 08/05/14 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I agree with your post, yet to the bold, presentation is not on Rex, Mike Young runs that, I believe. I forget the specific stream, I think it's from M12, Young comes right out to say that they know we don't want their version of presentation, we want what we see on tv, this was after trying "beyond broadcast" for some time, then in M13 they seemingly go right back to it. Let me clarify I'm referring specifically to camera angles because they seem to be at least adopting real network overlays, wipes and other elements, they just seem to have some odd obsession with "video game" camera shots.

It so odd the way they talk about emulating a CBS broadcast right up until they start referring to "capturing the emotion of the game", then they segue into NFL films. The NFL films cinematography should be utilized in Madden for Superbowl/end of game montages, player highlights for the draft, end of the year awards, etc, not for "broadcasting" general game play. I had hoped with the new consoles ability to broadcast/stream game play, that would encourage Tiburon to go away from the artistic broadcast in Madden but apparently not.
We will never get what we want. Tiburon hates us....

# 429 roadman @ 08/05/14 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
It's been such a long, slow hate, though, similar to the improvements year to year in Madden.

Oh, I couldn't resist that one.

I know they don't hate us, it's too strong of a word................. but, history shows, they will make the game they want, when they want and how they want.

Otherwise, it will be OS NFL Football vs Madden

# 430 SageInfinite @ 08/05/14 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
It's been such a long, slow hate, though, similar to the improvements year to year in Madden.

Oh, I couldn't resist that one.

I know they don't hate us, it's too strong of a word................. but, history shows, they will make the game they want, when they want and how they want.

Otherwise, it will be OS NFL Football vs Madden
Now that would be a system seller......

# 431 Sausage @ 08/05/14 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Haha, I occasionally read there tweets and replies; when OS or anything Sim is mentioned, I can almost hear them saying "not them F'ers again", lol. I have finally accepted we are not the ones that butter their toast, it's MUT and tourney guys who prefer more control over realism and organic gameplay.

When the devs were talking about more passes missing targets, you all should have read the the outcry. Another example penalties, the outcry the game shouldn't determine them, because it's not right to lose a tourney or ranked game on a penalty.

It goes on and on. After several videos passes are always on target, no penalties, and instead of broadcast presentation we get Tiburon presentation which is sad.

I appreciate Rex and what appears to be a passion to make Madden realistic, but then we see the near final result and shake our heads and say maybe next year.

# 432 jeremym480 @ 08/05/14 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
Haha, I occasionally read there tweets and replies; when OS or anything Sim is mentioned, I can almost hear them saying "not them F'ers again", lol. I have finally accepted we are not the ones that butter their toast, it's MUT and tourney guys who prefer more control over realism and organic gameplay.

When the devs were talking about more passes missing targets, you all should have read the the outcry. Another example penalties, the outcry the game shouldn't determine them, because it's not right to lose a tourney or ranked game on a penalty.

It goes on and on. After several videos passes are always on target, no penalties, and instead of broadcast presentation we get Tiburon presentation which is sad.

I appreciate Rex and what appears to be a passion to make Madden realistic, but then we see the near final result and shake our heads and say maybe next year.
I know that it's been said Ad nauseam, but all the more reason for the game to have sim and causal/tourney settings. They're trying to cater to everyone with the same game play that mixes a little realism with a lot of arcade and honestly that's their biggest problem.

They should give us options to add things like penalties in our game for people who want to see them and let those who don't want to see them keep them the way they currently are or turn them off altogether. Do that and I guarantee everyone will be a little happier.

# 433 SageInfinite @ 08/05/14 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage

Very real post. We ALL need to accept that Madden is never going to the game we want. It's not for us, no matter how much they want to convince us it is. The game is developed from the top down. They throw us bones to keep us interested. We either play Madden ball, or nothing. It's fun and interesting to talk about the game on here, but realistically, it's just discussion, it will not result in the Madden we want.

# 434 jpdavis82 @ 08/05/14 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I agree with your post, yet to the bold, presentation is not on Rex, Mike Young runs that, I believe. I forget the specific stream, I think it's from M12, Young comes right out to say that they know we don't want their version of presentation, we want what we see on tv, this was after trying "beyond broadcast" for some time, then in M13 they seemingly go right back to it. Let me clarify I'm referring specifically to camera angles because they seem to be at least adopting real network overlays, wipes and other elements, they just seem to have some odd obsession with "video game" camera shots.

It so odd the way they talk about emulating a CBS broadcast right up until they start referring to "capturing the emotion of the game", then they segue into NFL films. The NFL films cinematography should be utilized in Madden for Superbowl/end of game montages, player highlights for the draft, end of the year awards, etc, not for "broadcasting" general game play. I had hoped with the new consoles ability to broadcast/stream game play, that would encourage Tiburon to go away from the artistic broadcast in Madden but apparently not.
Presentation was under Mike Young but now it's under Brian Murray. I'm interested to see where Brian takes it compared with what Young did. I know Brian was heavily involved with 15 but we may not see his true vision for presentation until 16 or so. A lot of times the first year a developer joins a company, they seem to slowly implement themselves and their vision.

# 435 charter04 @ 08/05/14 11:01 AM
What's so sad about this is I got Madden 08 for PC yesterday. I got new rosters and I even downloaded a mod were you have cbs, espn MDF, Fox, and NBC intro music and graphic stuff on the score board. How is it that easy for moders to give me something more authentic than madden? They don't want to do what would make it a authentic tv presentation. They want it to be EA presentation.

They just need to do what NCAA basketball 10 did but, I don't think they will.

What I don't understand is why they get real announcers but, then do their own presentation. Might as well get actors if you not going to do the real networks tv presentation.

# 436 Kramer5150 @ 08/05/14 11:20 AM
Quote:
The crappy reason is that it's all about licensing. Modders can create those things and release it with relatively no sanctions. But EA being a company HAS to acquire licensing or rights in order to use the sounds or logos or likenesses what so ever.
EA has had the ESPN license since about 05 (iirc)...but the sad part is EA wants to shove their "vision" of presentation instead of using ESPN and giving us what we see during their TV broadcast.

The CBS stuff does look interesting so far this year,but afaik EA doesn't have any sort of license with CBS (correct me if I'm wrong) so as nice as some of the presentation elements look,it will still have EA's "vision" of presentation scattered about.

# 437 charter04 @ 08/05/14 11:52 AM
Quote:
The crappy reason is that it's all about licensing. Modders can create those things and release it with relatively no sanctions. But EA being a company HAS to acquire licensing or rights in order to use the sounds or logos or likenesses what so ever.

They already have ESPN. I'm sure NFL network would be easy. That leaves cbs, fox, and nbc. All those networks would live to get there logo's in madden. Not sayings it's free but, why not start with MNF, since they have ESPN and then get a new one every year.

It's not money. I think they think they can do better. They clearly cant

# 438 iLLWiLL @ 08/05/14 11:53 AM
Quote:
And you hit it right there. They DO have licenses. They just CHOOSE not to use them. The problem is because of the exclusive license with the NFL, us fans can't CHOOSE another game other than EA's. and THAT'S wrong.
Ding ding ding. We have a winner. And this is why so many people frustrated with the madden franchise are so expressive and tend to take it out on Tiburon. Certainly much of the blame goes to the NFL/NFLPA as well...

# 439 charter04 @ 08/05/14 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL
Ding ding ding. We have a winner. And this is why so many people frustrated with the madden franchise are so expressive and tend to take it out on Tiburon. Certainly much of the blame goes to the NFL/NFLPA as well...

Yes it's the NFL's fault it's exclusive but, it's EA's fault they don't do a ESPN and use MNF for Monday games and playoffs. They have the license. They just want to do it their way.

# 440 SageInfinite @ 08/05/14 12:40 PM
Really didn't bug me until now that they have this ESPN license and don't use it in Madden, lol. I never was a fan of the majority of NCAA's presentation(besides the montages and the updates, I think it was trash), but Madden would look AWESOME if it was themed after ESPN and Monday Night Football. Especially with these new graphics. NCAA did look more authentic with the banners wipes and overlays. I like the CBS presentation, but I wish they would just go ALL THE WAY. Logos and all with some form of presentation.

I feel the same way about NBA 2k and The show, but for the most part they "get it", so it would really just be logos and banners to complete the piece. Madden 12 was the closest we've gotten to stellar presentation in-game in Madden imo. We haven't been close since, and judging from the videos it still doesn't give me that feeling that 12 did. Once again, maybe it will be fully realized next year *add nausea*. Still looking forward to playing though.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.