Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

I have spent quite a bit of time over the last couple of days playing the retail release of Madden NFL 15, which is set to release in a limited format to EA Access customers later today. To put it simply, this is probably the best Madden ever from a technical perspective and may be some of the most fun I’ve had with the franchise in years.

Here are my pros and cons after about ten full games:

Pros

Defense is fun again — There are multiple mini games you can now effectively partake in on each play on defense. Beating the OL is a timing mini-game of sorts which requires you to jump the snap and then make an effectively timed and directionally smart move to get to the QB. You can tell when you are facing an elite OT, because he will feel like a brick wall on many/most plays.
• Quarterbacks feel different — I don’t have enough info to safely say the pass accuracy is fixed, but playing Peyton Manning feels like you are playing a more elite level QB versus, say a Matt Cassel. Defensively, I found that it was even more of a rush to get to the QB when he was better, because you knew he was going to make decisions faster.
• Good news, the tackle cone doesn’t suck — From my initial play-sessions with Madden, it appears the tackle cone is not a major in your face type of addition many feared. The new tackling system adds a risk/reward setup to what used to be a very boring aspect of the game.
• Defenders are smarter — Zone defenders are much smarter this year, with players reacting to the ball much faster resulting in much narrower throwing lanes. This is going to make a lot of people used to soft zones very angry initially.
• The New Connected Franchise Options Are Great — Setting up a weekly gameplan or repairing your team’s busted up confidence is such a great series of decisions to have to make each week. Alex Smith had a horrible game against the Broncos and his confidence sank, so I had to spend valuable preparation points to raise his confidence back up. These are the things you don’t see in the NFL, but things coaches have to do to ensure players are at the top of their game.
• Community Playcalling is surprisingly good — The playcalling feature which I thought was nothing more than a gimmick actually seems to be pretty good at both conveying information that you would find relevant in both how users and how you use it. It makes the whole experience feel more connected.
• Thank goodness for the new cameras — Seriously, the new cameras and how they've been implemented (fast switching) is something which should be universal in sports games. It's that good -- it doesn't hurt the camera angles themselves are quite good, including the new over the shoulder defensive angle you can switch to on defense. Major kudos EA.
• The graphics, audio, and in-game broadcast presentation have arrived — It has long been a dream to have Madden look and feel like the rest of the major sports games in our genre, it always lagged behind. This year, at least to me, I feel like the presentation and graphics are both up there with anything you can find on store shelves today. It’s not perfect, but it’s definitely gotten to a point where it’s clearly quite good.

Cons

• The playcalling menus really need to quit defaulting to the community playcall screen — I swear the amount of manpower and hours I’m going to spend backing up one menu layer to get to my preferred playcalling screen is going to make me sad. Bonus points for the playcalling menus not having that weird lag where I literally miss my option a lot.
• QBs may still be too accurate out of the box — I need to run more tests, but I’m pretty sure QBs may be more accurate out of the box than realism would suggest is possible. The good news is, slider combinations are going to fix this largely.
• The game’s first boot takes too long to get to action you care about — We can do without this nonsense.
• The new kick meter is hit or miss — At first, I actually missed a couple of field goals, but now I seem to be automatic again. I need to test this out more.

Initial Thoughts

Thus far, Madden NFL 15 is really shaping up great. I still have a lot to check out within the game before I end up posting my final review. However, my initial thoughts are pretty strongly in favor of this year’s Madden. This is still Madden football, just a better and more true to life version of it. It’s too early whether to say Madden belongs amongst the discussion with the traditional great games in our genre, but I would be lying if I said it wasn’t tempting to suggest its possible at this point.

Look for my full review in a day or two here on OS. Madden NFL 15 releases later today (noon) for EA Access users in a limited six-hour demo, and will be out next Tuesday in stores.

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 jeebs9 @ 08/21/14 02:57 PM
Yea I'll wait for the world to get it. Haven't brought Madden in years....

# 62 booker21 @ 08/21/14 03:45 PM
what is team play that people is talking about?

# 63 dfhdthh @ 08/21/14 03:56 PM
Wait, so one hand QB accuracy/differentiation seems realistic, and on the other QB's are too accurate? Chris, can you clairfiy?

# 64 cusefan74 @ 08/21/14 05:00 PM
You know what? Every year I read on here how great the new Madden is, and every year it's a let down. So I will wait and see what the community is saying and I will read through the good and the bad and make my own decision.

# 65 enice128 @ 08/21/14 05:05 PM
fool me once shame on u....fool me EVERY YEAR shame on ME!!!!!!!!!!!! However, i do feel good things this year....damn there i go again getting sucked in!

# 66 enice128 @ 08/21/14 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enice128
fool me once shame on u....fool me EVERY YEAR shame on ME!!!!!!!!!!!! However, i do feel good things this year....damn there i go again getting sucked in!
A G A I N !!!!!!!

# 67 kdkaine @ 08/21/14 06:22 PM
I think the cold hard reality of no NCAA this year has really changed my perspective on Madden. Could it be better? Absolutely. (Although I'll wait until I can play it myself before I judge this years game.) but I think I'd rather deal with the usual yearly frustrations with this game than worry about the alternative of no Madden at all.

Overall I found the reviews helpful and informative, and I'm looking forward to playing the game.

# 68 Demoncrom @ 08/21/14 06:32 PM
"I've had an extremely hard time throwing curl routes on the outside, for instance, because cornerbacks almost always jump the pass and take it back for a touchdown. ". Reviewer at usgamer makes it clear that the jump route crap logic is still very much alive

# 69 Eski33 @ 08/21/14 06:52 PM
After playing the pre-release I concur. Some things are familiar like the team selection menu, uniforms are exactly the same from M25 (never quite understood why EA puts in uniform options like HOME 11 when it is exactly the same as the default? I want more classic uniforms.

All in all, the presentation is outstanding. I was amazed. The stadiums with real jumbo trons look fantastic.

Where the real beauty is tho is in the gameplay. Players move a more life like pre-snap. Although there are still some quirky tackling animations, there is so much added that makes the players look that much better, especially receivers.

Best Madden I have played. And it's fun. The past few years I was bored within a few hours. I can't wait to get back on the sticks.

# 70 Eski33 @ 08/21/14 07:01 PM
Also, I like the new kicking arc. I thought I would hate it but it is a nice addition. The play calling is excellent and if you like money plays, your cash is no good here. The AI is smart.

Also I haven't seen the cheap interceptions from a year ago.

One cool thing. I was using Seattle. Harvin got behind the defender and raised his hand. I hit him in stride and he didn't slow down. In years past the WR would slow right after catching the ball almost eliminating the chance for a big play. To see him catch it in stride and pull away was a sweet feeling.

As far as QB accuracy I noticed it especially with pressure. Wilson overthrew a few guys and while rolling to the left he under threw a WR in the flat.

Need to spend more time with different QBs but it wasn't as automatic as past Maddens.

I don't have any allegiances to specific games. However this Madden is worth the money. I haven't played SB mode but playing in Seattle it was loud. I didn't see any instances of highlights being off with the commentary either. It isn't perfect but it's still much much better than expected.

# 71 Eski33 @ 08/21/14 07:04 PM
Another cool moment was when there was an injury on the field. The commentators drew away from the action and the game drifted as if it were going to commercial. When the game faded back in the commentators went straight to the person who was injured to provide an update. It was just as if it were on network TV. There are so many cool little things.

# 72 Retropyro @ 08/21/14 07:18 PM
Really enjoying it so far. But one complaint is, zero penalties again! I've asked for months, people who had played it, are there penalties, does PI get called and everyone of them said YES! I've played 3 games so far and have yet to see even one penalty called. Granted I have yet to touch sliders, but I doubt anyone getting to do early previews touched the sliders either.

Playing with the Lions I noticed a huge difference in QB's. Top level QB's are step above the others.

# 73 therealsmallville @ 08/21/14 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
We've rated Madden below the Metacritic score each of the last two years, next-gen was above it but the waffling from us on that score behind the scenes made me wish we had a 7.7 to give it haha!

So I don't see any way OS is 'biased' in our reviews of Madden, if anything we're on par or below the internet critic average, meaning there are plenty above us, and some below us in how we've rated the game. Those are facts.

Another fact: Singular game review scores are subjective and they're no scientific way to judge a game's quality unless taken in a larger context with many more opinions included in one's analysis. But I digress.

For those wondering, I did post another short look at defense on the frontpage you can all check out here: http://www.operationsports.com/news/...oring-anymore/
I agree with you 100%, and is why I enjoy this site...if anything, I'd say OS pushes the Madden dev teams to do better & be better more than most other sites. You don't see many softball questions here during dev interactions.

# 74 therealsmallville @ 08/21/14 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingWeazel
Huh? Madden is not the only game on this site, and hoping I get to play a good football game for once. Didn't know there was a 'have to be positive all the time' clause.
My bad. I shouldn't have assumed that by saying "here", that you would understand I was talking about the Madden forum.

And there's no "have to be positive" clause, but there is a "don't agenda post or be a d#%#" clause. So there's that.

# 75 Gerick90 @ 08/21/14 07:56 PM
best madden since 05

# 76 JCCurtis2852 @ 08/21/14 09:35 PM
Can anyone w ea access tell me if the option to play in coach mode is n the game? I dont mean the option 2 play asa coach but the option 2 call plays n let the cpu run them like last yr. thanks

# 77 CujoMatty @ 08/22/14 06:38 AM
I did a game 15 minute quarters denver against new england with the passing accuracy at 0 for both teams. both manning and brady were missing quite frequently so that was good. I also put most of the penalty sliders at 60 except pass interference at 90 for both offensive and defensive pass interference. I had a clipping, 2 face masking, a holding, and an encroachment penalty that was done by a cpu controlled team mate. every penalty however was on my team. not sure if thats going to be an issue or just a fluke.

one thing I noticed was sometimes in the cut scenes it would show players on the sideline that shouldve been on the field. I got a clipping penalty and the cut scene showed the coach and manning standing behind him on the sideline with no helmet on. manning was on the field a second before that so its like he teleported off for the cut scene then back on the field in the huddle when it went back to the game. if that makes sense lol.

# 78 yesrick @ 08/22/14 06:48 AM
To the OS Reviewer: When you are top story on a new release, give a fair assessment of the game. First the platform, then early access with 6 hours of playing time. So we lose 15 minutes due to the boot sequence of next years superbowl, total nonsense and no-one is looking to see this. The constant delay waiting to get synched up is a problem, the menu structure changed again. First look and feel is this makes no sense. Why not allocate efforts in fixing the broken parts. Online was a mess with madden 25, any change there, or are we left with another broken element of the game. Bottom line an unbiased review is helpful, anything is worthless. I don't post much but i do expect a better effort,. You lost me after thinking this is one of the best games ever , after an hour of playing.

# 79 kenlovin @ 08/22/14 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandwin
Luckily for everyone who doesn't agree with the write up, you can read many other reviews, or try the game for yourself. Not everyone has the same opinion.

I know there has been plenty of times I never saw a certain issue or bug with a game and then I browse the forums and my enjoyment for the game is ruined. We all see different things. Some people could think one area is greatly improved, while someone else could think the improvement is minimal. That's why once release date happens I pretty much avoid that section of the forums because I don't want someone to find a bug that I would have never noticed and ruin my enjoyment.
This I can totally agree with. I don't know how many times this site has ruined my enjoyment for a madden title. Sometimes I can't even visit this site bc i know that someone has found something that will totally ruin my enjoyment.

# 80 roadman @ 08/22/14 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesrick
To the OS Reviewer: When you are top story on a new release, give a fair assessment of the game. First the platform, then early access with 6 hours of playing time. So we lose 15 minutes due to the boot sequence of next years superbowl, total nonsense and no-one is looking to see this. The constant delay waiting to get synched up is a problem, the menu structure changed again. First look and feel is this makes no sense. Why not allocate efforts in fixing the broken parts. Online was a mess with madden 25, any change there, or are we left with another broken element of the game. Bottom line an unbiased review is helpful, anything is worthless. I don't post much but i do expect a better effort,. You lost me after thinking this is one of the best games ever , after an hour of playing.
That's the beauty of subjective opinions, you have yours, everyone else has theirs.

Not everyone thinks the same, feels the same.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.