Home
MLB 15 The Show News Post

Another week is almost wrapped up in Diamond Dynasty, and the biggest thing that happened over the weekend was that the May Topps 50 card pack was released. It didn't impact the marketplace too heavily, which I'm sure made some happy and others not so much. Nevertheless, it's time to look ahead once again and try to predict who might be getting a ratings boost Monday morning.

I'll be breaking the predictions into tiers based on my own confidence level.

Ratings Boost Probability: High

-A.J. Pollock - After a slow start, Pollock has had an unbelievable turnaround. On top of hitting .340 over the last month, he has nine stolen bases and six home runs. Mark Trumbo was just traded as well so that just clears up even more space for Pollock. In other words, Pollock is now bonified in Arizona.

-Billy Burns - Burns has put in work as well over the last month. He's not hitting for as much power as Pollock, but he's got the average and steals to go along with a very low rating right now in The Show.

-Sonny Gray - Gray is young, he's top 10 in just about every pitching category out there and has only received a plus-one boost to this point in the season.

-Gerrit Cole - Everything I said about Gray also applies to Cole. His boost was a more aggressive plus-four, but he's still got room to be improved as he's probably the top pitcher in the NL so far.

-Mark Melancon - Melancon was a mess early in the year, but he's bounced back and should at least get back the ratings points he lost earlier in the year.

-Carlos Martinez - Cardinals players are getting love almost every week, but Martinez probably deserves to join the party as he's dominated over the last month. It also probably helps he was downgraded earlier in the season.

-Dallas Keuchel - Keuchel's peripheral stats are not as impressive as those of Cole and Gray (that groundball rate though!), but he's still doing amazing work this season. He's become a Gold already, but he's still got room to grow based on how he's pitching.

-Brian Dozier - He was in the May Topps 50 pack for top performers; he's top 20 in WAR; and he's just good so it's time to make him a Gold.

-Joc Pederson - Pederson hit some insane moonballs this week and just keeps chugging along.

Read More - Diamond Dynasty Ratings Boost Predictions (6/7/15)

Game: MLB 15 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 31 - View All
MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ph33 @ 06/07/15 01:23 PM
Do you think Dellin Betances gets a boost, or gets left alone because he's merely a relief pitcher?

Wade Davis got a boost, and deservedly, he's having a fine year. But I mean, up until this week, Betances hadn't allowed A SINGLE RUN!

# 2 MrOldboy @ 06/07/15 01:46 PM
Will this finally be the week Greinke goes diamond with one more overall point? He seems like the best candidate to me although people seem to want Bumgarner even though his stats aren't as good as Greinke's.

# 3 Socal @ 06/07/15 03:23 PM
I agree with your choices. I think Rosenthal is a great candidate to get a bump up this Monday. I also believe Rizzo is on his way to being Diamond soon.

What will happen to Bryce Harper's price once his primary position is corrected to show RF? 40k-50k?

# 4 MrOldboy @ 06/07/15 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal
I agree with your choices. I think Rosenthal is a great candidate to get a bump up this Monday. I also believe Rizzo is on his way to being Diamond soon.

What will happen to Bryce Harper's price once his primary position is corrected to show RF? 40k-50k?
If Harper is moved to RF he will actually go down to Gold. They would have to up or modify his ratings with the move to keep him at 94. If he is moved to RF and they increase his hit ratings to keep him diamond than I can see him increasing unless not enough people dig that deep into the ratings. Many may assume he's the same 94 rated player, just in RF now.

# 5 Socal @ 06/07/15 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
If Harper is moved to RF he will actually go down to Gold. They would have to up or modify his ratings with the move to keep him at 94. If he is moved to RF and they increase his hit ratings to keep him diamond than I can see him increasing unless not enough people dig that deep into the ratings. Many may assume he's the same 94 rated player, just in RF now.
Why would he go down because of a position change?

# 6 bcruise @ 06/07/15 03:34 PM
Quote:
Why would he go down because of a position change?
Overalls in The Show are calculated by position. A 99 wouldn't necessarily mean a player is the best in all of MLB, it would mean he's the best at his respective position.

# 7 Socal @ 06/07/15 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Overalls in The Show are calculated by position. A 99 wouldn't necessarily mean a player is the best in all of MLB, it would mean he's the best at his respective position.
But he would be the best at his position in RF also.

# 8 ChaseB @ 06/07/15 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
Do you think Dellin Betances gets a boost, or gets left alone because he's merely a relief pitcher?

Wade Davis got a boost, and deservedly, he's having a fine year. But I mean, up until this week, Betances hadn't allowed A SINGLE RUN!
Yeah I put him in the "low" section this week, but thought for sure he would get a boost last week. I don't see why he couldn't get a boost whenever they feel it's time.

Quote:
Will this finally be the week Greinke goes diamond with one more overall point? He seems like the best candidate to me although people seem to want Bumgarner even though his stats aren't as good as Greinke's.
I think Greinke probably has to wait a bit longer. His season stats are great (though his 1.97 ERA doesn't quite click with his 3.50 xFIP, for example), but he stumbled a bit as of late. I don't see MadBum getting the boost either.

Quote:
Yeah the tough part about the predictions this week for is it's a lot of the same people who have been monsters still being monsters. Guys like Kipnis and Fielder and Rizzo and Stanton and Harper and Kluber and Scherzer who are already boosted or have received major boosts.

# 9 DrYCeLL @ 06/07/15 05:42 PM
If Goldy deserves an upgrade, Rizzo definitely does. Rizzo is outpacing most of Goldy's prior year numbers, the ones that give Goldschmidt a Diamond in the first place, all while striking out at half the rate Goldy is this year.

Goldy 2013: .302/.401/.551 --Goldy's breakout year
Goldy 2014: .300/.396/.542
Goldy 2015: .343/.467/.662
Rizzo 2014: .286/.386/.527 --First year post-Sveum
Rizzo 2015: .328/.446/.605

Rizzo also has more doubles, triples, and steals than Goldschmidt this season. I am not advocating he deserves to be higher than him, not at all, but if Goldy gets an ugrade to 95-98, Rizzo should get the bump to a 93-94.

# 10 MrOldboy @ 06/07/15 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I think Greinke probably has to wait a bit longer. His season stats are great (though his 1.97 ERA doesn't quite click with his 3.50 xFIP, for example), but he stumbled a bit as of late. I don't see MadBum getting the boost either.
Look at Wacha and Miller, they both received upgrades recently and their xFIP are ever further from their ERA compared to Greinke and people still think they will receive increases again and they started from much lower points than Greinke. If they deserve another bump Greinke deserves one based on that logic and his history.

You yourself even think Gray deserves an upgrade even though his xFIP doesn't jive with his ERA similarly to Greinke. He went from 89 to 92 almost a month ago, I don't see a 92 to 93 increase as that far fetched and a better bet than a lot of what people are saying (Bumgarner, Kluber, etc.) In the end though I do not expect an increase this week either since he is already a 92, it's just worth the gamble IMO since he is so close to diamond and that would influence his value on the market.

I'm not arguing who is a better pitcher, just what patterns the devs have shown and they have shown that they look at ERA, K/9, BB/9, WHIP, etc not xFIP.

# 11 BentleyA @ 06/07/15 06:43 PM
Quote:
Look at Wacha and Miller, they both received upgrades recently and their xFIP are ever further from their ERA compared to Greinke and people still think they will receive increases again and they started from much lower points than Greinke. If they deserve another bump Greinke deserves one based on that logic and his history.

You yourself even think Gray deserves an upgrade even though his xFIP doesn't jive with his ERA similarly to Greinke. He went from 89 to 92 almost a month ago, I don't see a 92 to 93 increase as that far fetched and a better bet than a lot of what people are saying (Bumgarner, Kluber, etc.) In the end though I do not expect an increase this week either since he is already a 92, it's just worth the gamble IMO since he is so close to diamond and that would influence his value on the market.

I'm not arguing who is a better pitcher, just what patterns the devs have shown and they have shown that they look at ERA, K/9, BB/9, WHIP, etc not xFIP.
Im pretty new to all of the rating changes, but that is extremely disappointing to hear. I took a quick peak at Greinke and even though I am a Greinke fan, there is no way he should get a boost with an xFIP and SIERA over 3.5 this year. That is right around league average (his xFIP- is 92, meaning that he is just 8% better than league average right now which should absolutely not indicate a ratings increase). To me, that shows that they overreact with their ratings increases and do not take sample sizes into consideration and such.

# 12 MrOldboy @ 06/07/15 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentleyA
Im pretty new to all of the rating changes, but that is extremely disappointing to hear. I took a quick peak at Greinke and even though I am a Greinke fan, there is no way he should get a boost with an xFIP and SIERA over 3.5 this year. That is right around league average (his xFIP- is 92, meaning that he is just 8% better than league average right now which should absolutely not indicate a ratings increase). To me, that shows that they overreact with their ratings increases and do not take sample sizes into consideration and such.
The game doesn't track a lot of advanced statistics. People have asked for many stats, but the game's sim engine and stat tracking system just doesn't track many thing that are needed. I can't blame the devs for using the ratings system they do, it works for the game because the main stats the game is presenting to the user are ERA, SO, AVG, HR, RBI, etc. One day maybe they'll figure out how to implement a WAT type system, but until then they have to rate players to fit the game and the gameplay.

# 13 Gambit1193 @ 06/07/15 07:30 PM
you don't think anyone becomes a diamond this upgrade? Donaldson, Cruz, Kluber, Greinke?

# 14 foofighter2455 @ 06/07/15 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit1193
you don't think anyone becomes a diamond this upgrade? Donaldson, Cruz, Kluber, Greinke?
I don't understand why Cruz isn't being upgraded more frequently. He should be better vs rhp

# 15 VoItage @ 06/07/15 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33

It's laughable the amount of RP/CPs that are rated higher than Betances. Truly hilarious.

# 16 Gambit1193 @ 06/07/15 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDanzaFan
I know. If miggy can be a diamond based on hitting then Cruz should be. At least for right now. If anybody deserves it it's him. I mean this is Bryce Harper's first year being this good and look how quickly he became one. Cruz did this last year too so he should be.
Not only did he do it last year but he's actually hitting for average this year and hasn't stopped.

# 17 ChaseB @ 06/07/15 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit1193
I think Kluber, Donaldson and Cruz all have legitimate cases. I just don't have confidence based on how upgrades have gone to this point with high-rated players sans Rizzo/Bryce.

# 18 showmlb44 @ 06/07/15 10:04 PM
I understand not all deserve it, but 5 Royals lead their positions in All Star voting. Salvador Perez has more votes than any player and Mike Moustakas has been a consistent .320 hitter all year and has the third most votes in all of baseball. Sooner or later The Show will recognize the people's votes and upgrade the deserving players

# 19 bigdipper88 @ 06/07/15 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmlb44
I understand not all deserve it, but 5 Royals lead their positions in All Star voting. Salvador Perez has more votes than any player and Mike Moustakas has been a consistent .320 hitter all year and has the third most votes in all of baseball. Sooner or later The Show will recognize the people's votes and upgrade the deserving players
It's because they made the WS last year. Not sue how Rios is in the top 5 AL OF votes when he's been hurt most of the season. Escobar is mainly a glove guy with speed, but hitting wise, not so good.

# 20 djeternal2 @ 06/08/15 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmlb44
So because they are top 5 in All Star voting (read: popularity contest) their skill ratings should go up? Yeah that makes total sense.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.