Home
NBA Live 16 News Post

EA Sports released a new blog today, talking about freestyle control and player movement in NBA Live 16.

The blog goes into detail on dribbling, shooting, passing, and screens -- you know, the things that make up the core basketball game. Here are some snippets from each...

Dribbling

Dribbling has received improvements in how it looks and how responsive it is. You will feel more in control and will see a difference in how signature moves and size ups are controlled. In a basic sense, you'll choose the moves and speed of how you perform size ups.

Shooting

Jump shots have been overhauled, with you now getting feedback on the shot timing. Also, you won't have to wait for an animation to finish before you release the ball. The feel on shot timing is tweaked as well, with a new meter (which we've seen before) which guides you to releasing a perfect jumper.

Passing

Passing has been overhauled a bit as well.The new, and well documented now, dribble handoffs will allow you to select which player on the floor will receive it. You will also have the option of a backdoor cut during this if the defense overplays the move.

The big addition seems to be touch passing, where you can queue up a pass to hit an open man or swing the ball quickly around the perimeter. You simply hit the pass button before a player catches the ball to pull it off.

There are other various additions, from new alley oops to tons of new animations to contextually correct entry passes. Give the blog a read for all of the details.

Screens

On and off ball screens are getting a makeover as well, with the big change being players moving to screen other players and not simply standing in a location hoping to screen someone. On top of all of that, you'll have new options to switch between a roll and pop as well.

The folks at EA also just released some new screenshots of NBA Live 16, which you can see here.

Game: NBA Live 16Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 4 - View All
NBA Live 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 MUTWOKAL @ 07/18/15 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedrum
The funny thing is 2k usually give information mad early but this year all I see is gimicks who gives a crap qbout the summer league being in tue game do I really need to play wit a bunch of 56 rater players Spike lee not one sceenshot...hmmmmmm i wonder if 2k was threatened by Live 15 and said we gotta change up and couldnt get it right and now trying to go off of the old build...2k16 equal NBA elite 11........HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Live is back muthaf8&@s.....

Wow what a troll lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 22 TDYRX @ 07/18/15 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k16
unless theres some kind of 2k shot stick control, i dont see how pressing a button can give you that choice. Live really doesnt have advanced controls like the comp
If I'm not mistaken, Live 09/10 had that where you basically just used the left stick to pick which side of the hoop to attack as you were pressing the button to lay up.

# 23 Vic Viper @ 07/18/15 08:55 AM
Quote:
unless theres some kind of 2k shot stick control, i dont see how pressing a button can give you that choice. Live really doesnt have advanced controls like the comp

You obviously didn't read the same article I did. There is no button to control signature dribbling. You are using the Right Stick to string signature dribbles which is called one-to-one. It's possible and will be in the game.

# 24 grodbetatted @ 07/18/15 09:36 AM
Quote:

I hope to god they don't overly complicate the controls like the comp, but still give us the control we need to pull off certain shots

# 25 TecmoZack @ 07/18/15 09:50 AM
I really like the controls in 15. Having more control/moves will be a huge plus.

Can't wait to see more footage.

Sports Gaming Maniac. Follow me on the interweb TecmZack - @VanMetra16

PSN - TecmoZack

# 26 Vic Viper @ 07/18/15 11:11 AM
Quote:
I replied to a post not the article. see below to understand

LIVEKING:

Hopefully in transitioning to attacking the basket it's smoother and you can control which side of the hoop.

when attacking the basket a button is not sufficient enough to choose which side of the rim you want to attempt the shot but this is easily done in other game with shotstick.
I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part thedream2k16. I do believe Live 08 had that feature where when you pressed the shooting/layup button, you could choose which side to finish on with left stick. It's been done before. It wasn't pretty though. lol I would love to see it back in the Live series because I was so frustrated with the blocks in LIVE 15'. I would get my shot blocked on a layup because I couldn't switch hands or go to the other side. Blocks are a lovely thing to see in 15', but comes too often in bunches.

# 27 youvalss @ 07/18/15 01:38 PM
Sounds good, will have to see if it looks/plays good. I wish there was info about the low post game.

# 28 mykull85 @ 07/18/15 02:22 PM
Besides the minority that ride or die with NBA Live does anyone really get excited about their articles? Every year it sounds good on paper and is a complete mess. The only thing they can sell the majority of basketball game fans on is gameplay and a good demo.

# 29 NateDogPack12 @ 07/18/15 02:27 PM
The only thing that concerns me about this is the possibility that controls will be over complicated. As beautiful as 2K15 was, I couldn't get into it because the controls were too intricate for a more casual basketball gamer such as myself to learn. If Live is playable and enjoyable, I will take the deep dive and get into franchise mode and online play. I just never could solidify any prowess with the 2K controls.

# 30 nick_sr @ 07/18/15 02:37 PM
I like what I've read n seen so far but I have concerns about the dunks I've seen alpha or no alpha

# 31 LM1213 @ 07/18/15 05:10 PM
I like the animations for the most part..but something looks off or stiff in the dribbling. Like when steph is dribbling it looks too stiff. Maybe their arms don't bend enough, or the arm movement should be more exaggerated. Like when he is moving right to left his arm is just waiting for the ball to come but it's stiff. I dont know something looks robotic. when the ball hits the arm, the arm should swing out from the momentum of the ball and to help continue dribbling. other than that it looks like its shaping up nicely. I might get both again this year like I did with live 10

# 32 DonWuan @ 07/18/15 08:59 PM
Quote:
I replied to a post not the article. see below to understand

LIVEKING:

Hopefully in transitioning to attacking the basket it's smoother and you can control which side of the hoop.

when attacking the basket a button is not sufficient enough to choose which side of the rim you want to attempt the shot but this is easily done in other game with shotstick.
Wouldnt using the left stick work just like in 2k?

# 33 rbfn04 @ 07/18/15 11:02 PM
touch pass touch pass touch pass touch pass... I'm excied about touch pass is what I'm trying to get across

Just don't make dribbles like Live, where you can brerak a x-over mid dribble, with the ball out of your hands. That's not realistic at all

# 34 DonWuan @ 07/19/15 02:11 AM
Quote:
thats dribble in live right? all live shooting /layups are connected to face buttons. Live needs to have a shotstick advance config 2k doesnt have a patent on it
I could be wrong and I haven't played in awhile but pretty sure left stick plus shot button and you can pick left/right layup and shots.

And no live does not need a shot stick. Unless live can do it correctly and make it 1:1. We will see.

Nice on paper but unless we get complete control animations will always take over.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

# 35 MUTWOKAL @ 07/19/15 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
The only thing that concerns me about this is the possibility that controls will be over complicated. As beautiful as 2K15 was, I couldn't get into it because the controls were too intricate for a more casual basketball gamer such as myself to learn. If Live is playable and enjoyable, I will take the deep dive and get into franchise mode and online play. I just never could solidify any prowess with the 2K controls.

Well then I guess you're gonna have to roll with 2k again as live's controls have been more advanced and will continue since their animations don't coincide with each other like NBA 2k, 2k has been the choice for the more causal gamer. Imo

# 36 swac07 @ 07/19/15 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTWOKAL
Well then I guess you're gonna have to roll with 2k again as live's controls have been more advanced and will continue since their animations don't coincide with each other like NBA 2k, 2k has been the choice for the more causal gamer. Imo

lol ...wait....huh????

# 37 MUTWOKAL @ 07/19/15 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swac07
lol ...wait....huh????

You know how 2k animations like dribbling for example you move the right stick across and boom a crossover, you want a screen hold b yet in live you can pick where you want the screen and you can crossover and then get out of the animation and perform and different move. Yet in 2k if you do a crossover then you wait for the crossover animation to be done before you perform another move, So it's much easier and less complex ,because in live you're given a bunch of different options yet in 2k you press one button and an full animation happens seamlessly.

# 38 swac07 @ 07/19/15 07:53 AM
Quote:
You know how 2k animations like dribbling for example you move the right stick across and boom a crossover, you want a screen hold b yet in live you can pick where you want the screen and you can crossover and then get out of the animation and perform and different move. Yet in 2k if you do a crossover then you wait for the crossover animation to be done before you perform another move, So it's much easier and less complex ,because in live you're given a bunch of different options yet in 2k you press one button and an full animation happens seamlessly.

And again....huh lol

Sent from my Illudium Q-36 Space Modulator using Tapatalk

# 39 MUTWOKAL @ 07/19/15 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swac07
And again....huh lil

Sorry about the clarity, I'm a foreigner so I'm trying my best. But let's just say live gives you more options to choose from the right stick then 2k thus making it more complex.

# 40 swac07 @ 07/19/15 08:01 AM
Quote:
Sorry about the clarity, I'm a foreigner so I'm trying my best. But let's just say live gives you more options to choose from the right stick then 2k thus making it more complex.

I understood you. But im still saying..... the abilty to do runners,pumpfakes, layups,euros,dunks,crossovers,behind the backs,sig moves,dropsteps, postplay,fancy passes, making teammates cut to certain spots offensively and defensively shot contests,leap contests,and the ability shade players left or right gives the complexity with the right stick to the other game not a knock on live but rebuilding wise they havent reached that plateau right stick control wise YET....so far they have kept it simple due to rebuilding ..you are confusing the ability to break out of animations to what both games rst control does ..those are 2 different subjects...live is more pick up n play and less complex overall...which isnt a bad thing

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.