Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

2K Sports has added the '99-'00 Toronto Raptors (previously revealed) & '07-'08 Houston Rockets to the list of classic teams in NBA 2K16.

There will be 12 new classic teams added this year, 6 of them have now been confirmed.

Here is the list of confirmed classic teams so far:
  • '07-'08 Houston Rockets
  • '99-'00 Toronto Raptors
  • '07-08 Boston Celtics
  • '00-'01 Los Angeles Lakers
  • '02-'03 Dallas Mavericks
  • '99-'00 Portland Trail Blazers
Two more teams will be revealed next Thursday.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 08/14/15 09:52 AM
I really back the Pistons team! I would play with them all day lol. A lot of my friends didn't like using the classic teams because they didn't know the guys (I know them all) but this changes this year

# 102 TheBarcaBoy @ 08/14/15 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
I really back the Pistons team! I would play with them all day lol. A lot of my friends didn't like using the classic teams because they didn't know the guys (I know them all) but this changes this year
I used to play with the AI 01 Sixers but now when 2K announce the 03-04 Detroit Pistons, NBA 2K16 will be on another Level!

# 103 STLRams @ 08/14/15 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTHEGAWD
Hakeem? They faced Duncan and David Robinson. Ewing was done by then (didn't play in the last two rounds), LJ was done by then, Oakley wasn't on the team. Camby, Sprewell, Houston were the heroes. They were terrible offensively god awful.

Off the eye test the Mavs are pretty clearly an elite offense who could run and shoot the lights out it's really not up for debate...I'm a Knicks fan I saw that '99 team no way in hell could they run with the '03 Mavs or any of the elite 2000's teams or any true elite championship team for that matter. They'd lose in 5 games just like they did against the Spurs.

Handchecking doesn't make defenses superior and those Mavs teams played with zone and more watered down hand checking in '02-'03 in a strong defensive league. You've got 80's teams up there don't see how the Mavs don't excel in the more open, transition based 80's game. You do realize FG%, points per game, offensive rating anything related to offense was higher in the 80's than in any other decade in NBA history right?
That 99 Knicks team really got deadly and hit there stride once the playoffs started that year, I would not say at all they were god awful offensivlty, especially since they had Allen Houston and Sprewell on the wings both avg 18+ points a game and Ewing was still playing well till he got hurt, the 90-95 Knicks team, now they were bad on offense. They dealt with alot of on/off injuries that year with Ewing Larry Johnson and Sprewell, plus that was the lock out season/shortened season. When they got in the playoffs for the 8th seed, they dismantled the Eastern Conference, it just sucked that Ewing got hurt in the Eastern Conference Finals, with out him they had no chance against the 99 Spurs int he Finals with the twin towers that year. But yeah when the 99 Knicks team were healthy they were gritty and explosive, really hoping 2K adds them in this year. Also add some more 90's and 80's teams 2K.

# 104 VDusen04 @ 08/14/15 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
That 99 Knicks team really got deadly and hit there stride once the playoffs started that year, I would not say at all they were god awful offensivlty, especially since they had Allen Houston and Sprewell on the wings both avg 18+ points a game and Ewing was still playing well till he got hurt, the 90-95 Knicks team, now they were bad on offense. They dealt with alot of on/off injuries that year with Ewing Larry Johnson and Sprewell, plus that was the lock out season/shortened season. When they got in the playoffs for the 8th seed, they dismantled the Eastern Conference, it just sucked that Ewing got hurt in the Eastern Conference Finals, with out him they had no chance against the 99 Spurs int he Finals with the twin towers that year. But yeah when the 99 Knicks team were healthy they were gritty and explosive, really hoping 2K adds them in this year. Also add some more 90's and 80's teams 2K.
The '99 Knicks had a fun run, as I was pulling for Latrell Sprewell and whatnot (I was a fan of his in Golden State). Also, young and athletic Camby was actually kind of a sight to behold when he was given a semi-clean run-up to the rim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cauvhBQWB4c

That said, with respect, I'd stop well short of calling them deadly, nor would I say they dismantled the Eastern Conference. Obviously, to make a run to the Finals, a lot of things have to be clicking, but they hit me more as a Cinderella type of team at the time as opposed to a well-oiled machine hitting on all cylinders.

It took that impressive Allan Houston clanking buzzer beater to eliminate the Heat in a do-or-die Game 5. Then I remember nothing about the Hawks series aside from that Camby dunk. And the Indy series went back and forth, perhaps hinging on that controversial Larry Johnson four-point play (Knicks won in six). New York made it work, but it took a lot of games that finished in the 70's or low 80's.

Sprewell and Houston could surely hit, but the offense was still a little scattered and without focus due to a lack of reliable options. Plus Ewing had been hurt virtually all season, even before the Achilles tear in Game 2 against Indiana. The Spurs did to that team what was supposed to happen to that team. They made a great run, but they weren't really a top tier ball club.

# 105 JayBillups36 @ 08/14/15 11:22 AM
04 Pistons

# 106 NowAndLaterCARZ @ 08/14/15 12:14 PM
I would love to see the 1995-96 washington bullets, 2001-02 washington wizards, and 2005-06 washington wizards!

# 107 daveberg @ 08/14/15 12:22 PM
If 2k are going with the 2000 era they gotta throw in Jordan's Wizard's team from 2002!!

That would seal the deal for me. Old legs Mike still showing the youngsters how Its done!!

# 108 calebpits @ 08/14/15 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD90
Yeah, my mistake.

So we have:
2000 Blazers and Raptors
2007 Rockets and Celtics
2001 Lakers and 76ers (were already in)
2003 Mavs and ???

Any really interesting East teams in 03?
Nets with J Kidd would be nice, would stick with the theme of 2000 teams

# 109 calebpits @ 08/14/15 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTHEGAWD
'04 Pistons were a great defense I don't think they crack top 5 teams 2000-2015...

'08 Celtics, '01 Lakers, '13 Heat, '14 Spurs, '15 Warriors all better of the top of my head...

'04 Lakers were supposed to win...Kobe choked terrible series
Maybe they could take the Celts but I think they would be top 10 easy.

# 110 DutchMastah7 @ 08/14/15 06:41 PM
We need a 2000s Kings team back. I don't even care if they can't get Webber. I'll make my own. Preferably I wanna see the 2001 squad before Jason Williams was traded to Memphis that summer.

Speaking of Memphis, that 2003-2004 team wasn't bad either. Be cool to see those guys.

Oh yeah can we please get a Sonics team that's wearing those classic jerseys everyone loves? The 96 version just doesn't do it for me.

# 111 AceDawg5 @ 08/14/15 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball
Call me old (I turn 33 in November), but I still want more teams from the '50s, '60s and '70s.

Heck, I'll take a Minneapolis Lakers team with the late great George Mikan, the NBA's first superstar.

I've always wondered how he'd fare in today's game. He'd be 6'11" in modern shoes, and LASIK would make him ditch the glasses...but he's been nowhere to be found since 2K12.
Shout out to Joliet, IL born n raised. Home of the great George Mikan!

# 112 BaseballJunkie @ 08/14/15 07:14 PM
I haven't played 2k in a couple of years...what's the deal w/ Webber? I loved using that Kings team on the XBox 360!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 113 BA2929 @ 08/14/15 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball
Call me old (I turn 33 in November), but I still want more teams from the '50s, '60s and '70s.

Heck, I'll take a Minneapolis Lakers team with the late great George Mikan, the NBA's first superstar.

I've always wondered how he'd fare in today's game. He'd be 6'11" in modern shoes, and LASIK would make him ditch the glasses...but he's been nowhere to be found since 2K12.
I hope they don't feel like they have to add full teams. They could potentially add an "All-50s" roster or something along those lines. A lot of those early guys are the reason the NBA is what it is today and it would be nice to honor them in a game.

# 114 midwestking100 @ 08/14/15 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchMastah7
We need a 2000s Kings team back. I don't even care if they can't get Webber. I'll make my own. Preferably I wanna see the 2001 squad before Jason Williams was traded to Memphis that summer.

Speaking of Memphis, that 2003-2004 team wasn't bad either. Be cool to see those guys.

Oh yeah can we please get a Sonics team that's wearing those classic jerseys everyone loves? The 96 version just doesn't do it for me.
Tell them again i dont think they heard you loud enough.

# 115 VDusen04 @ 08/14/15 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballJunkie
I haven't played 2k in a couple of years...what's the deal w/ Webber? I loved using that Kings team on the XBox 360!
After the he was included with the 2002 Kings in 2K12, Webber and 2K did not come to agreement for his use in any further games. So a Webber-less 2002 Kings team was included in 2K13 before the team was eventually removed altogether.

I'm with Dutch on this one, it'd be nice to have that squad back, as making a realistic-looking Webber was actually pretty easy (same with Barkley on the classic Sixers team).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilladawg4
Did i miss something...i could've sworn these teams were announced a month ago. This aint new news. I hope they're saving my 93' Suns with Sir Charles.
The 2000 Raptors, 2008 Celtics, and 2001 Lakers were mentioned off-hand in a video last month. However, they were never officially announced. So, as all 12 new classic teams are revealed leading up to release, three of them will be repeats.

# 116 redsox4evur @ 08/14/15 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilladawg4
Did i miss something...i could've sworn these teams were announced a month ago. This aint new news. I hope they're saving my 93' Suns with Sir Charles.
They ARE NOT saving Charles to be the last team. He IS NOT going to be in the game. He hates the way the league treats it's retired players, so he doesn't allow any NBA videogame to use his likeness for this reason.

# 117 JazzCeltics @ 08/16/15 09:49 PM
01-02 Sacramento Kings. Peja Stojakovic, Vlade Divac, Hedo Turkoglu, Chris Webber, Bobby Jackson, Mike Bibby, Doug Christie, and Lawrence FUNDERBURKE! I am sure I missed a few players, but that squad was beyond great. The 2002 WCF Game 4 was heartbreaking and Game 6 was an abomination. I'd love for 2K to bring the team back.

# 118 daqan27 @ 08/17/15 03:02 PM
Can we get the real teams that everyone wants to see added.

Golden state with Tim Hardaway, Sprewell, and Webber ...
washington bullets with Juwan Howard and Webber and make them good.
Pheonix suns and have Barkley be an unstoppable force.

# 119 kurt2134 @ 08/17/15 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daqan27
Can we get the real teams that everyone wants to see added.

Golden state with Tim Hardaway, Sprewell, and Webber ...
washington bullets with Juwan Howard and Webber and make them good.
Pheonix suns and have Barkley be an unstoppable force.
Sorry but since when has "everyone" been asking for these teams? They don't have a time machine that I know of either so they can't really make a team good that only had 21 wins.

# 120 Mauer4MVP @ 08/17/15 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzCeltics
01-02 Sacramento Kings. Peja Stojakovic, Vlade Divac, Hedo Turkoglu, Chris Webber, Bobby Jackson, Mike Bibby, Doug Christie, and Lawrence FUNDERBURKE! I am sure I missed a few players, but that squad was beyond great. The 2002 WCF Game 4 was heartbreaking and Game 6 was an abomination. I'd love for 2K to bring the team back.
Obviously the Kings were much better with Bibby, but I'd just prefer a Kings team with J-Dubb on it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.