Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Perhaps NBA 2K16's most ambitious project was its story mode. With audacious film director Spike Lee at the helm, there wasn't a soul who didn't expect something a little different from this year's MyPlayer. Of course, different is good -- even when the change itself is not.

Read More - NBA 2K's MyPlayer Mode Different, But Improvements Needed

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 kadzier @ 10/29/15 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
One of the most confusing aspects of "My Career" modes is that success is a given. Even on the most difficult settings, your player is treated as a budding star.
YES, this is one of the most annoying recent aspects of the MyPlayer mode in my opinion. I absolutely hate that while I'm a bench scrub improving my ratings and fighting for minutes, I get cutscenes about impending shoe deals and freakin' max contracts. It is such a ridiculous disconnect.

2K has to realize not everyone who plays this mode instantly wants to become the next coming of Michael Jordan or LeBron James. Some of us actually appreciate the experience of playing as a 6th man or a secondary player, and the story should accommodate us too.

# 2 LeBlonde James @ 10/29/15 12:57 PM
I'm hoping that college will be part of my career for the future. But I want to feel more of a college experience, a choice to stay for four years. Make it to where you can earn VC during your college games. That way if you choose to stay a few more years you wouldn't have to worry about being a 55 overall "Phenom ". Staying an extra year could also hurt your draft stock if your performance slacks a bit. I'd still be okay with only 4 games or so each college year. That's more than enough to build up your overall just enough. And have a generic national championship court for the national championship Lol not one teams home court...breaks my immersion.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

# 3 LeBlonde James @ 10/29/15 01:01 PM
Also allow us to pick half lengths for college games.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

# 4 GuwopGeezus @ 10/29/15 01:38 PM
Lack of choices and no threat of failure are the biggest things to me. There also need to be better simulation options. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you sim the game before an off day then it automatically sims through the off day too. I planned to sim a lot of games and focus more on off days in my first season but I couldn't do that because of this reason. I wanted to get to my second and third years before I really started improving my player but now I'm an 89 in the first year lol (I realize I could've waited longer to use VC on my player but I needed to improve for park mode). They also need to let you sim playoff games!

# 5 Turbojugend @ 10/29/15 01:50 PM
For me, MyPlayer has been by far the most disappointing part of what is an otherwise fantastic game. Not only is there no fear of failure despite my on-court shortcomings, but I am shoehorned into a narrow character path that resembles nothing of the character I actually want to play as.

If 2K really felt the need to go the Spike Lee route, then there should have been a Story Mode separate from Career Mode. Better yet, just make a standalone mo-cap movie as that's pretty much what we're getting now.

# 6 XxSpiritHunterX @ 10/29/15 03:48 PM
Hopefully next year is a true myCareer. The story was just a decent backdrop for me, but if I wanted a story, I would want another mode for it. Like myStory or something like that. I think myCareer can really be your career if they actually give us more options. I appreciated the decision-making in the past two myCareers. I would love to see that at least implemented next year. Maybe like a true high school star to NBA player story. The high school and college stuff was only a starting point this year. Next year, we expect it to be a bigger deal already.

Like everyone else, I want more to the pre-NBA stage. Everything was just too much for advancing the story rather than being a basketball player. With the high school, I was hoping for 8 minute quarters (real life high school rule). That didn't happen. In college, we all wanted 20 minute halves. At least we got the halves lol. Those need to be options in 2K17. I also want to enjoy the high school and college experiences. Keep the senior year thing with high school and allow me to play more years in myCareer at least rather than one and done just to keep the fictional time in tact. In fact, I say they go the NCAA route and let us customize the high schools we play and the rosters for both HS and college. Then, we can go through the draft process of a draft combine and then the summer league, then training camp. Last but not least, I want to actually earn VC before the NBA. Idc about a contract giving me VC lol. I want to actually be able to level up on my own unlike in 2K16 before going to the league. Sorry for my tangent, but this article was so good I had to put out my 3 cents.

Sent from a network powered by a hamster and a wheel using Tapatalk

# 7 tril @ 10/29/15 04:49 PM
seems like people want all the features that were in the first my player mode.
2k scaled it back, cause folks complained that it took to long to get to an elite level.

personally, I think the backgrounds of players should be more dynamic.
a player should should chose the type of background that they have, middle class, inner city, lower/ upper class. etc, then tune the core story line to said back ground..
the story-line should definitely be more interactive.

I typically skip the my player mode. but have tried to this year. its a decent mode. one change that would be nice for the my player mode, would be to give said player the option of controlling said player or entire team during the game play. due to the fact that the AI in this mode is horrible.
there are too may instances where my player could get an assist, etc but the ai controlled user does something illogical, like pass out of an open layup.

# 8 XxSpiritHunterX @ 10/29/15 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
seems like people want all the features that were in the first my player mode.

2k scaled it back, cause folks complained that it took to long to get to an elite level.

personally, I think the backgrounds of players should be more dynamic.

a player should should chose the type of background that they have, middle class, inner city, lower/ upper class. etc, then tune the core story line to said back ground..

the story-line should definitely be more interactive.

I typically skip the my player mode. but have tried to this year. its a decent mode. one change that would be nice for the my player mode, would be to give said player the option of controlling said player or entire team during the game play. due to the fact that the AI in this mode is horrible.

there are too may instances where my player could get an assist, etc but the ai controlled user does something illogical, like pass out of an open layup.

I always liked the aspect of working to the league. Looking back at it now, everyone took it for granted. 2K10 and 2K11's myPlayer mode was ahead of its time. 2K12 just made it shorter to get to the league with the draft showcase, but introducing VC in 2K13 made that "taking too long to get to an elite level" null. You could just buy it whenever you want now. I don't really see a point of backtracking from an already great foundation. As far as the control the whole team, that could be an option, but I doubt it.

# 9 magicman32 @ 10/29/15 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadzier
YES, this is one of the most annoying recent aspects of the MyPlayer mode in my opinion. I absolutely hate that while I'm a bench scrub improving my ratings and fighting for minutes, I get cutscenes about impending shoe deals and freakin' max contracts. It is such a ridiculous disconnect.

2K has to realize not everyone who plays this mode instantly wants to become the next coming of Michael Jordan or LeBron James. Some of us actually appreciate the experience of playing as a 6th man or a secondary player, and the story should accommodate us too.
I don't know if this is true. In 2k10, it was more of a grind. You had summer league, training camp, and d-league. If you weren't good enough you played in the d-league. I remember all the complaints about the process and that they didn't want to have to go through all that. There were a lot of complaints. So 2k went into a different direction and made becoming a star easier.

This year it's a bit of a grind, but there is no training camp, summer league or d-league in mycareer. I loved the setup of myplayer in 2k10 and 2k11.

# 10 temaat89 @ 10/29/15 07:58 PM
Bring back training camp, summer league and d-league. I would love to "struggle" my way to the top. If you want to be an instant star there is now always the option of buying or earning VC in other modes. In reality, there are maybe a handful of guy who are instant stars. Much more are guys who have worked their way into a starting or 6th man role.

And if there's a story, it should be a separate mode. Similarly how it was done with Fight Night Champions. Loved both the story and career mode in that game.

# 11 Dr. Poe @ 10/29/15 11:43 PM
They just need to fix the amount of VC people receive for each game. It takes so long to build a character through playing games, that a lot of people just pay for VC to build their character. They become a superstar within the first couple of games because they bought their character. This takes away from the challenge. They need to give you a fair amount of vc for each game then people will build their character legit instead of buying one.

# 12 Dr. Poe @ 10/29/15 11:45 PM
Also, they should have let me decide if I wanted to stay in college. That would have been hot. They could have had the coach say I should stay to improve my skills. Or I could have listened to my parents and stayed for the degree. That would have been awesome.
My career is still really good. Just needs to add more choices like others have said.

# 13 Ownal0t @ 10/30/15 05:09 AM

this short edit i made of the story sums up how stupid it can play out, especially with the "No Sense of failure " thing. i miss 2k11. if you acted like a ****** you got sent to the D League and maybe even undrafted? now you got people just doing moronic stuff and getting pushed up just cause

# 14 Junior Moe @ 10/30/15 07:34 AM
I actually like the story aspect. This year was the first one I finished. I'm not big on putting myself in the game, though. I just look at it like a story mode. Not my story per se. I liked Sony's NBA the Life, even thought the gameplay was terrible. I think 2K should separate them. Have one as the "story" mode and the other as the old school MyCareer mode from like 2K11. Integrate some of the stuff but keep that mode limited strictly to your player. So you'd probable lose the cutscenes and stuff but you can chart your career arc how you please. Win-Win

# 15 kadzier @ 10/30/15 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman32
I don't know if this is true. In 2k10, it was more of a grind. You had summer league, training camp, and d-league. If you weren't good enough you played in the d-league. I remember all the complaints about the process and that they didn't want to have to go through all that. There were a lot of complaints. So 2k went into a different direction and made becoming a star easier.

This year it's a bit of a grind, but there is no training camp, summer league or d-league in mycareer. I loved the setup of myplayer in 2k10 and 2k11.
I don't think people would complain about an expanded high school / college scenario, given they're really only 4 game seasons and people loved the experience so much. Give us the option to go one and done or the whole four years, and no one would complain

Hell when it comes to training camp/summer league, bring that back too, but just give us the option to sim. We can have the choice to improve our player through that or just skip it and jump straight to the games. I don't see how everyone can't be satisfied.

The setup for mycareer was definitely the best in 2k11, imo.

# 16 Capitol P23 @ 10/30/15 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuwopGeezus
Lack of choices and no threat of failure are the biggest things to me. There also need to be better simulation options. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you sim the game before an off day then it automatically sims through the off day too. I planned to sim a lot of games and focus more on off days in my first season but I couldn't do that because of this reason. I wanted to get to my second and third years before I really started improving my player but now I'm an 89 in the first year lol (I realize I could've waited longer to use VC on my player but I needed to improve for park mode). They also need to let you sim playoff games!
I see what you wanted to do but at the same time I feel to keep it balanced seeing as you could "cheese vc" by doing this 2K should let you PARTICIPATE IN THE OFF SEASON ACTIVITY but you obtain NO REWARD for it. The point of playing the game is to EARN better off season endorsements and connections. Simulating would make this way to easy.

Just my opinion on it. All Love.

# 17 Capitol P23 @ 10/30/15 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSpiritHunterX
I always liked the aspect of working to the league. Looking back at it now, everyone took it for granted. 2K10 and 2K11's myPlayer mode was ahead of its time. 2K12 just made it shorter to get to the league with the draft showcase, but introducing VC in 2K13 made that "taking too long to get to an elite level" null. You could just buy it whenever you want now. I don't really see a point of backtracking from an already great foundation. As far as the control the whole team, that could be an option, but I doubt it.

Working to the league was all I wanted to do. The Draft Combine from 2K10 was the best "DEMO" ever created because that player got transferred into the main game. Also, I relish getting that sixth man of the year award. I also loved attempting to get rookie of the year which for the past two years you cant get in MyCareer. I've even wanted to do bad to get re-assigned to the d-league to beast my way back like a Gerald Green. I understand what Spike did in year one of this story. I am from NY but I am NOT from Harlem although I live there now. All of us have different backgrounds and that should have been reflected in the story. Last thing, every my player being called Freq. =(

# 18 Capitol P23 @ 10/30/15 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman32

Hit the nail on the head with this one.

# 19 Hooperport @ 11/03/15 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol P23
I also loved attempting to get rookie of the year which for the past two years you cant get in MyCareer.
You can be ROtY in 2K16 though. It's just not very satisfying, given the 8 game season.

# 20 burter @ 11/04/15 06:18 PM
Can we have a dang option to start off at like 40 overall and do d-league and summer league? Or at least let me play my FREAKING ROOKIE YEAR? I mean it's becoming a joke. Not all of us want to jump online with our MP guys. I want to play a good offline MP for years and build my guy up over time. This is the first year where I didn't buy a bball or football game. Just tired of the lack of thought on these modes, mp for 2k and chise for madden...

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.