Home
News Post

OK, so I'm back after almost a week of nothing but UFC events (UFC 2, TUF Finale, UFC 194). Here are a few quick impressions. Some of them are vague because I cant speak specifically about a few things that haven't been discussed (cant go into great depth about the striking yet):

- Roster: The roster is about final and it's the largest MMA game roster ever. There are some BIG surprises that I cant talk about yet but I think everyone will be excited about them.

- Grappling System - I've played every MMA game ever created (back to the Dreamcast days) and this is the most natural system I've seen. Past systems have always felt turn based. For example, I'm in half guard, I try to move to Side Control but you block it...now its your turn and you try to move me back into full guard.

This system feels like grappling. There are more positions, more sweeps and more escapes. Now before you flip out these moves aren't available to everyone. For example, I primarily used Welterweights when I was playing the game because that division was the only one with some of the AI fully installed and the complete move-sets implemented.

In one of my first fights I used a non- top 10 WW who is primarily a striker vs an unranked WW who is primarily a grappler. In the 2nd and 3rd rounds, the grappler was successful in taking me down by using trips in the clinch. Both times, he proceeded to keep top control for over 2 minutes. I didn't feel cheated at all because my opponent had a much better move-set and ratings on the ground than I did. This sort of thing would've happened in a real fight.

In round 3, I started sick of being held down and managed to get my opponent back into half guard. I started spamming trying to get out from under him and that worked to my detriment. He passed to full mount and submitted me with an arm-bar. That seemed perfect to me. I spammed, it cost me a ton of stamina and my opponent was able to move into a dominant position and finish me.

This never happened in UFC 1.

Bottom line: I love the new system and the devs are still working with the GC's on ways to continue to improve it. There were some small issues that I brought to the Dev's attention (AI fighters were aggressive with position advances on top but not mixing enough strikes; CPU would sometimes randomly stand up from half guard) but even with those issues the system looked great.

AI and Movesets: I have to be a bit vague here because its not fully installed but I like what I see so far. My biggest frustration with UFC 1's striking AI was everyone was a kick-boxer. EVERYONE. Guys who rarely throw kicks would throw kicks constantly.

There were only 10-15 guys who had their full AI and movesets installed but you could see a difference. I played against one boxing HW who rarely throws kicks in real life and in the game...he rarely threw any kicks. Hopefully, Skynet will talk a little about the work he's done on the AI because it deserves some attention and praise.

With that said, I've only seen a small bit of it and I'll really be able to dig into it closer to release. If its stays consistent with what I saw Wednesday, the AI will be in good shape.

Regarding move-sets, the dev team has taken a more intelligent approach. The move-sets for the most part are still works in progress but I was satisfied with the completed ones I saw. There will likely still be discussions about whether fighter X should have a spinning back fist or not. But I don't think there will be any similar to UFC 1 where HWs had Capoeira kicks and Showtime kicks.

I'll answer some of the questions from last week's thread a little later.

Member Comments
# 81 japowery @ 01/05/16 04:06 PM
@aholbert You don't have to go in to any details, but was the striking you saw very similar to that of 1 or more complex (perhaps deriving some ideas from this post: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/10344600.page)? Thanks.

# 82 aholbert32 @ 01/05/16 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddogUFC
good point....Star wars, titanic and matrix test audience all said they sucked and would lose money. you are missing the point about being visionary. its sad to me

the differenceof tying it to training is what will make it work. you are coming off as a real *****.

You seem to knock any visionary idea. i hope the dev team isn't like that

is hate a bad word on here

Not really. I love a ton of visionary ideas. Your ideas just suck.

# 83 redsox4evur @ 01/05/16 07:14 PM
Yea I would hate to HAVE to complete some training/history mode just to play the regular game. And I am as casual as they come. I probably won't know half the guys on the roster, I have only watched 1 PPV before and that was last month's UFC 194. And I could honestly give a rat's *** about the history of the sport. I just get the game to have fun and because I figured I would give it a shot. Traded it in because I didn't really play it all that much.

# 84 aholbert32 @ 01/05/16 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddogUFC
Reallly? You are the guy who they elected as a game changer? You are clearly just a a *****? What cool idea do you have? As long as I have been on here I have only seen you shoot down ideas and play the role of company man. Looking back at your previous posts this is your clear MO. I guess it is easier to shoot ideas down then to come up with something. Good luck with that.
They chose me as a GameChanger because I've been on this board helping with the game. You've been here a week so you dont know any of this. I dont have to justify my role on this site or as a gamechanger to you. The work I've done stands on its own.

Look, your idea is a ****ty idea. It just is. I'm not being a *****. Its been done before. UFC 3 did a version of it and no one played it. Thats why you dont see a big demand for people to bring back that mode. Universe mode is a new (for an MMA game) and good idea. See....I like good ideas. Your idea isnt good.

Instead of actually debating that point (or the other points I made) you choose to call me a *****. Why? Because you cant argue why your idea is a good idea.

# 85 redsox4evur @ 01/05/16 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
They chose me as a GameChanger because I've been on this board helping with the game. You've been here a week so you dont know any of this. I dont have to justify my role on this site or as a gamechanger to you. The work I've done stands on its own.

Look, your idea is a ****ty idea. It just is. I'm not being a *****. Its been done before. UFC 3 did a version of it and no one played it. Thats why you dont see a big demand for people to bring back that mode. Universe mode is a new (for an MMA game) and good idea. See....I like good ideas. Your idea isnt good.

Instead of actually debating that point (or the other points I made) you choose to call me a *****. Why? Because you cant argue why your idea is a good idea.
Yea I'm with aholbert on this one. I would go no where a legends/MMA history type mode. And the people at EA probably have numbers from that THQ that show that Pride mode was barely played. Now a universe mode I would definitely play even if it was barebones. Meaning just rankings and PPVs with no rivalries, fight build ups, weigh-ins, etc.

# 86 aholbert32 @ 01/05/16 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Yea I'm with aholbert on this one. I would go no where a legends/MMA history type mode. And the people at EA probably have numbers from that THQ that show that Pride mode was barely played. Now a universe mode I would definitely play even if it was barebones. Meaning just rankings and PPVs with no rivalries, fight build ups, weigh-ins, etc.
One Thing: Pride mode was popular. Hardcore MMA fans loved it.

What alot of people dont remember is UFC3 also had a greatest fight mode that no one played. Its similar to MaddogUFC's idea.

# 87 redsox4evur @ 01/05/16 08:25 PM
Quote:

What alot of people dont remember is UFC3 also had a greatest fight mode that no one played. Its similar to MaddogUFC's idea.
OK, I don't think I played it. Just going off what I read from you and probably mixed the 2 up.

# 88 sportsfan8812 @ 01/05/16 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
I couldn't agree more. That's the one thing i'm dying for in a UFC game. Being able to serve as Dana White or the matchmakers in some capacity, doing press conferences/interviews ala NBA 2K16, rankings, rivalries, weigh ins, etc etc. I cant think of one feature or mode that would draw me in more.

# 89 Review @ 01/06/16 09:13 AM
Quote:
Nothing is finalized yet but I doubt it given the control the UFC likes to have over the roster.

Fair enough. Can you give us an idea of who was responsible for the attributes and abilities this year. Ea guys, UFC guys, or maybe a combination of both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 90 aholbert32 @ 01/06/16 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Review
Fair enough. Can you give us an idea of who was responsible for the attributes and abilities this year. Ea guys, UFC guys, or maybe a combination of both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A mix. The Gamechangers had a big influence on the perks and the perk levels but we had no input on the ratings. I believe the ratings are done by EA but the UFC has the final say over them.

# 91 woody2goody @ 01/06/16 01:36 PM
Quote:

Pride mode was awesome. Tournaments especially are great fun.

I'd have a problem with them implementing so much time and effort into a mode that you'd only go through once. The concept of a legends training mode is reasonable but with all the effort to get those fighters (and maybe companies) licensed, I think resources could be better aren't elsewhere.

What it will say is that people who've barely been around should not turn up and post like their opinion is the best and that everyone else is wrong. Why do people not realise that you can debate constructively without slagging people off?

Especially when someone like aholbert has worked on and played the game and knows a ton more than you do...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

# 92 pdandy @ 01/06/16 01:46 PM
Quote:
A mix. The Gamechangers had a big influence on the perks and the perk levels but we had no input on the ratings. I believe the ratings are done by EA but the UFC has the final say over them.
Ah so that's new, at least to me. Wasn't expecting perks to have a level system as well. Very nice! Another fighter differentiation layer.

# 93 sportsfan8812 @ 01/06/16 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2goody
Pride mode was awesome. Tournaments especially are great fun.

I'd have a problem with them implementing so much time and effort into a mode that you'd only go through once. The concept of a legends training mode is reasonable but with all the effort to get those fighters (and maybe companies) licensed, I think resources could be better aren't elsewhere.

What it will say is that people who've barely been around should not turn up and post like their opinion is the best and that everyone else is wrong. Why do people not realise that you can debate constructively without slagging people off?

Especially when someone like aholbert has worked on and played the game and knows a ton more than you do...

You think this is bad? Take a look at the EA forums. The gamechangers over there are getting ripped apart by angry a-holes who think they know everything. So stupid

# 94 woody2goody @ 01/06/16 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan8812
You think this is bad? Take a look at the EA forums. The gamechangers over there are getting ripped apart by angry a-holes who think they know everything. So stupid
Trust me I've seen a lot worse. And will again no doubt when the game comes out and idiots complain about being KOd even though they refuse to block and/or conserve stamina [emoji12]

The EA forums are awful - I avoid them at all costs these days!

# 95 aholbert32 @ 01/06/16 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan8812
I'm actually having a little fun over there. They dont have the strict trolling rules that we have so its funny to see people just make clear trolling statements without any repercussion.

There was someone over there yesterday who declared the game a failure because of the the first 14 seconds of the trailer.

# 96 Nocks33 @ 01/06/16 03:35 PM
Can you give us any details on improvements in career mode?

I had a few ideas that I wish they'd implement.

I liked the idea of evolution points but later on in my career I saw some of legends of the UFC like GSP or Rampage who were pushing 50 years old and still had a 99 rating it didn't feel realistic at all. The fact that you had fight 20+ fights for a title shot seemed unrealistic.

To fix this I wish we had stat degeneration over time/age and not the damage meter only dictating our career. Dana should still step in and say you're done.. But I believe retirement should be a choice.

I'd like to see money being utilized in career mode. It would be great to pick fights based on pay days or ranking. This would be a great way to bring back camps. You could even dive deeper in contract negotiations ( a stretch but would be a nice touch). I just think it would be awesome to choose a huge a ppv fight for a massive pay day and really have something to train for and game plan for.

I'd love to see smaller organizations in the game for a way for fighters to get scouted. I don't like the fact we were forced to win TUF and then bam you're in the UFC. It would be awesome if we had a choice in joining it to begin with. In TUF if we lost we were eliminated and we can choose the next step in our career. I really liked how they set up TUF in the game some may disagree but I liked how they had it.. Just didn't like the fact I was forced to win.

I'd like to see post fight interviews with Joe return. Post fight/pre fight press conferences would be a dream as well. I know they'd have to re do the whole voice acting thing but it was fun.

Lastly I'd love to see some of the created lower level fighters progress as well. It would so much fun if you developed a rivalry with a guy/girl earlier in your career and had a rematch later on down the road.

I'm a big fan of all the UFC games I've liked and disliked things about them. I think overall each has had its strong points. I just wished they found a way to dive deeper in the career mode. I realize everything won't be solved in one game. I look forward to getting this game and can't wait to see what they've improved on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 97 aholbert32 @ 01/06/16 03:37 PM
Cant get into Career mode until they completely roll it out. Sorry.

# 98 TheShizNo1 @ 01/06/16 03:46 PM
Quote:

Wait..... It has a what mode? I still have it and will have to check it out. The only modes I play(ed) in 3 were event and tournament.

I'll also never get rid of 3 because of Pride mode.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

# 99 Nocks33 @ 01/06/16 03:49 PM
I read they brought back camps and now have career defining moments. I like where it's heading so far. Plus character customization seems to have improved. I'm curious how they will start our career out... I'm excited about the new grappling system as well. Seems like they're heading in the right direction.

# 100 aholbert32 @ 01/06/16 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocks33
I read they brought back camps and now have career defining moments. I like where it's heading so far. Plus character customization seems to have improved. I'm curious how they will start our career out... I'm excited about the new grappling system as well. Seems like they're heading in the right direction.

Where did you read this?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.