Home
NBA Live 16 News Post

Has there been a more polarizing sports game this year than EA’s most recent basketball title? Either people have really enjoyed the game or simply hated it, but very few have fallen in the middle. When Ben Vollmer initially reviewed NBA Live 16 here at Operation Sports, he gave the title a 6.0 out of 10, meaning the game was above average but far from a classic.

Some of the game's initial downfalls were no customization, average gameplay and poor commentary. While any review is subjective and only one person’s opinion, our review fell into line with what most thought. In addition to the shortcomings listed already, the game lacked proper animations, and many of the incoming rookies and lesser known players had generic created faces.

Read More - NBA Live 16 Makes Its Move Up the Ladder

Game: NBA Live 16Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 4 - View All
NBA Live 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jnb5001 @ 12/17/15 10:38 AM
Good read. I keep this game in my rotation

# 2 mrclutch @ 12/17/15 11:07 AM
Good read. So do you think the shooting has improved since launch?

# 3 seanhazz1 @ 12/17/15 11:20 AM
I think everything has improved since launch(on the court), with the exception of promoting the product effectively and the decreased interaction with the community. In a re-rating I think the game stands well on its own, and is in a good position to add more of the community requested content in the immediate future, or the next release.

# 4 DBMcGee3 @ 12/17/15 11:58 AM
I'm thinking about renting this one, as I currently have a slight case of 2k fatigue. I honestly wanted to buy Live this year for that very reason, but the demo was so awful that I couldn't talk myself into it.

Anyone want to give me some good selling points for the latest version of the game? Is it insane to think that I'd still enjoy Live after playing 2k for several years now?

# 5 GisherJohn24 @ 12/17/15 01:30 PM
I give the game a 7 right now. As a stand alone 5 on 5 bball game, it's definitely fun. If the game modes like Rewind and Moments worked properly I'd be willing to go 7.5. Kudos for EA trying even with the poor sales numbers.

# 6 GisherJohn24 @ 12/17/15 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
I'm thinking about renting this one, as I currently have a slight case of 2k fatigue. I honestly wanted to buy Live this year for that very reason, but the demo was so awful that I couldn't talk myself into it.

Anyone want to give me some good selling points for the latest version of the game? Is it insane to think that I'd still enjoy Live after playing 2k for several years now?
ProAm is definitely very fun and leveling up is quite a chore but I do enjoy it. The game plays smooth online and off. Patch 3 made the game much more enjoyable and defense is adequate. Great atmosphere and great looking. My only main gripe is nba rewind and big moments doesn't seem to be working

# 7 Behindshadows @ 12/17/15 03:34 PM
Game is $20 now on Xbox One on EA Access, that's worth the purchase...time to get more people online with it and doing pro-AM

# 8 RUFFNREADY @ 12/17/15 05:11 PM
I may just wait for it to go into the EA Access Vault, in a month or so.
cheers

# 9 Flightwhite24 @ 12/17/15 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFNREADY
I may just wait for it to go into the EA Access Vault, in a month or so.

cheers

Doubt you will see this game in the vault in a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 10 sarlndr @ 12/17/15 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPBLACKMAMBA24
Doubt you will see this game in the vault in a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"In a month or so" doesn't mean an exact month.

Sent from my Z1 using Tapatalk

# 11 Walt Frazier @ 12/17/15 07:23 PM
Good article...

You probably missed THE most important change though...and that is the CPU's massively improved passing, as opposed to the initially released version where almost all cpu players simply charged the paint like a mad bull.

Now, they pass the ball around the perimeter, kick out, find the open man.

At release, there simoly was no mid range game. Literally, none. You could finish a game and check the shot chart and it was all three balls and paint shots.

Now, there is a nice mid range game...the cpu passes it around, pulls up, catches and shoots

That has been by far the biggest gameplay improvement post release imo.

I agree that something close to 7/10 is a fair score now.

The game still lacks a season or dynasty mode of any note. And rewind games simply don't work.

In one off games v the CPU it is almost worthy of an 8/10 now...in exhibition mode / one off games etc it is by far the best LIVE in a long, long time.

........but the overall lack of depth means a 6.5 to 7 out of ten is fair. It lacks anything close to the depth you would expect in a next gen sports game.

# 12 Calvenn @ 12/17/15 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Frazier
Good article...

You probably missed THE most important change though...and that is the CPU's massively improved passing, as opposed to the initially released version where almost all cpu players simply charged the paint like a mad bull.

Now, they pass the ball around the perimeter, kick out, find the open man.

At release, there simoly was no mid range game. Literally, none. You could finish a game and check the shot chart and it was all three balls and paint shots.

Now, there is a nice mid range game...the cpu passes it around, pulls up, catches and shoots

That has been by far the biggest gameplay improvement post release imo.

I agree that something close to 7/10 is a fair score now.

The game still lacks a season or dynasty mode of any note. And rewind games simply don't work.

In one off games v the CPU it is almost worthy of an 8/10 now...in exhibition mode / one off games etc it is by far the best LIVE in a long, long time.

........but the overall lack of depth means a 6.5 to 7 out of ten is fair. It lacks anything close to the depth you would expect in a next gen sports game.

I agree that passing and the mid range game have improved quite noticeably and a surprising omission in an otherwise good ( and needed I should add) article that outlines the games recent progress. We can't score the game higher that a 7 or so in its current state in regards to depth of Dynasty and other modes. From a pure gameplay standpoint, we can score a bit higher, however, would truly like to see expanded player uniqueness, post game, etc, to push it to the top. They have laid a great foundation this year, can't say it enough!

# 13 Izzy Snow @ 12/17/15 08:36 PM
Once they add more animations especially in the post, refine the modes they have now especially dynasty, and add more control options, then the game can be an 8. Until then, it's about a 6-7.

# 14 striker3771 @ 12/17/15 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
Game is $20 now on Xbox One on EA Access, that's worth the purchase...time to get more people online with it and doing pro-AM
I have to give this another chance if it is $20 on Xbox One. Does anyone know if there has been an increase of people online? I'm an 100% online gamer.

# 15 Calvenn @ 12/17/15 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Snow
Once they add more animations especially in the post, refine the modes they have now especially dynasty, and add more control options, then the game can be an 8. Until then, it's about a 6-7.
Welcome to the board!

# 16 Nemesis Enforcer @ 12/17/15 10:26 PM
I'd rate it's Pro-am alone a 9. Well worth $20.

# 17 zrohman @ 12/17/15 11:11 PM
Uhhh. I've only seen one patch. Go back in the thread history. One patch. It took them months just to add face scans and your praising them for it? 2k has 4 patches out this year...... 4.... and face scans at launch. They even added several new elements to their game in patches. I'm nothing close to a fanboy, but this is ridiculous. Live should not be praised in any way because of their support. The reality is they haven't supported this game since launch. Nice to hear it is playing a little better but this article is way off

# 18 RoyalKrimpet @ 12/17/15 11:22 PM
I like the gameplay & soundtrack alot, I hate the bland commentary & the glitch that makes players shirtless on the court. EA has to do a better job with the updates too, there are alot of injured players who are active & vice versa.

It's a step in the right direction for the series. But some of the glitches are huge problems & it is unacceptable & inexcusable for a next gen game.

# 19 dasunsrule32 @ 12/18/15 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrohman
Uhhh. I've only seen one patch. Go back in the thread history. One patch. It took them months just to add face scans and your praising them for it? 2k has 4 patches out this year...... 4.... and face scans at launch. They even added several new elements to their game in patches. I'm nothing close to a fanboy, but this is ridiculous. Live should not be praised in any way because of their support. The reality is they haven't supported this game since launch. Nice to hear it is playing a little better but this article is way off
Um, there have been 4 patches. Maybe you should look at the update history. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

# 20 tril @ 12/18/15 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalKrimpet
I like the gameplay & soundtrack alot, I hate the bland commentary & the glitch that makes players shirtless on the court. EA has to do a better job with the updates too, there are alot of injured players who are active & vice versa.

It's a step in the right direction for the series. But some of the glitches are huge problems & it is unacceptable & inexcusable for a next gen game.
EA needs to change its slogan "EA SPORTS, IT IN THE GAME".. to "EA SPORTS, A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION"...
every year EA gets a pass with this comment for multiple sports title releases.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.