Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

The question of realism in sports games is always a tricky thing to discuss. Most of us want our sports games to be “realistic” depictions of what we watch on TV or experience in our day-to-day lives.

What that usually means is hoping Madden makes the passing game more diversified, or hoping you can botch your cap situation like a true Jerry Jones disciple. In many respects, what people are talking about wanting here at Operation Sports are “simulation” aspects that help keep a game dynamic and interesting. Repetition is the enemy.

But there’s another layer of “realism” in sports games, as well as another set of creative liberties that go along with it. I would classify this element of realism as visual realism. It’s one part graphics, but it’s also just one part physicality. Hockey games, football games, basketball games, even baseball games all have to deal with collisions and physics. What do these interactions look like? How do they make you feel? (Boxing games and MMA games are built around visual physicality, so I’m ignoring them here because combat sports are a whole other disucssion.)

Read More - Do You Care About Dangerous Hits in Madden? (Written By: Chase Becotte)

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 4thQtrStre5S @ 04/25/16 12:44 PM
Football is a violent sport, lets stop trying to turn it into touch football.. Big hits happen, and we don't need flags to be thrown in madden; as it is, there are too many flags thrown in the NFL and college...Incidental contact (helmet to helmet) and hard hits will happen; let it go..

All these flags are merely a means to avoid more lawsuit, essentially, not losing money..Nothing more but money.

EDIT: and since no one even gets hurt in Madden, the question of taming down hits is moot, IMO...As for the above hit, that was a personal foul; should have gotten a flag. But on the other hand, the collisions and animations are not exact enough, IMO, to throw flags for hits..We could see a flag every play.

# 2 Dazraz @ 04/25/16 01:08 PM
In terms of the real world I'm sure there is a valid argument to reduce the number of 'Dangerous Hits'. As for the Madden series, I think there are many elements that fall well short of accurate simulation of the NFL that would require addressing before worrying what is deemed a legal or dangerous hit.

# 3 mrprice33 @ 04/25/16 01:09 PM
The cleanup tackles were wayyyyyy overdone in 16. I hope it's something they tone down in 17.

# 4 4thQtrStre5S @ 04/25/16 01:14 PM
I like the clean up hits; hope they remain in M17.

# 5 mrprice33 @ 04/25/16 01:21 PM
The internet, in a nutshell

# 6 SolidSquid @ 04/25/16 01:24 PM
Keep the clean up hits. Using the one in the video as an example, they wouldn't look as bad if the ball carrier was just stuck in the fetal position, they should be throwing a hand down and scrambling to try to stay up or conceding and making sure they just go down. As it stands they just sit idle and take a huge hit

# 7 OhMrHanky @ 04/25/16 01:26 PM
You know what's tough, here? Is that until madden 16, the tackling always looked so unrealistic, that whenever a tackling animation was triggered, the rest of the defense simply quit on the play. This was a MAJOR source of unrealistic 'simulation' for me personally, and truly took the realism out of the game. In the NFL, players play to the whistle (well, the good ones do , and u never know if a player is going to break a tackle or not. So, for me, the addition of the 'dive into' a player who is 'almost down' was a great addition. U see this in the NFL. Players diving in to finish off a ball carrier (and, perhaps hope to 'tire' that player just a little more with one extra hit). The hit in the gif is illegal, I would say, and comes at the expense of this being the first year madden has implemented a 'dive into almost tackled player' animation. So, if they choose to fine tune this to make it 'not so blatant' illegal hits, I would be fine with that. But, I absolutely think they should keep the 'play till the whistle, play/attempt to tackle ball carrier UNTIL he is truly down' mentality/animations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 8 CM Hooe @ 04/25/16 01:29 PM
I think what could help this is if there were a greater sense of self-preservation for individual players embedded in the physics, they should try to shield themselves better when they get into big pileups and in 100% certain "I am getting tackled" situations.

If the players were more actively defending themselves we might see fewer unrealistically violent situations (relative to the real-life NFL, at least).

# 9 ChaseB @ 04/25/16 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
The internet, in a nutshell
Did I do something hot take-y to you?

# 10 l8knight1 @ 04/25/16 01:38 PM
Bring back the big hits and realism. Something was removed in 16 that totally nerfs my pleasure of making a receiver across the middle pay for his actions. Bring back the helmets being nocked off. They come off in real life for Pete's sake.

# 11 4thQtrStre5S @ 04/25/16 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I think what could help this is if there were a greater sense of self-preservation for individual players embedded in the physics, they should try to shield themselves better when they get into big pileups and in 100% certain "I am getting tackled" situations.

If the players were more actively defending themselves we might see fewer unrealistically violent situations (relevant to the real-life NFL, at least).
Exactly, players need to defend themselves from imminent hits; it gets annoying seeing RB's, for example, running in a straight upright posture, and taking a hit in the same standing position; players need to put shoulders and heads down; WR's, when they jump in the air to catch a pass, may want to make their mid section smaller by crunching a little to protect that open mid section, but only when there is a high probability of getting hit, so if a hit threat is not present they can stretch full out and maybe gain RAC.

# 12 mrprice33 @ 04/25/16 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Did I do something hot take-y to you?
No. I thought your piece was great. I was referring to me saying I want it toned down and the next poster saying they love them and want them to stay as-is.

# 13 4thQtrStre5S @ 04/25/16 01:51 PM
Quote:
No. I thought your piece was great. I was referring to me saying I want it toned down and the next poster saying they love them and want them to stay as-is.
You have an opinion and I have one..It is not an internet issue; it is a human issue, and opinions are free to give.

# 14 bigd51 @ 04/25/16 02:01 PM
Dangerous hits? What dangerous hits?

These players are so soft when they go to tackle, even if they hit them in the head, it won't be any harder than a Harbaugh helmet tap...

I'm not trying to turn this into a bashing thread or trying to get off topic, but when you see weak tackling like this on a consistent basis when playing the game, you don't put much thought in dangerous hits. In a way, considering it's just a game, it's almost refreshing to see a dangerous hit every now and then.

Look, games are games. I run over pedestrians in GTA on the reg, but it doesn't mean I don't care about human lives outside of that or trying to emulate it. All human life, to me, is important but I try to keep my real-world ideals and morals out of my decision making when playing games. If I didn't, I wouldn't have fun gaming.

# 15 mrprice33 @ 04/25/16 02:22 PM
I think it takes away from the simulation to see players unrealistically launching themselves at guys that have been ruled down.

That's just me.

# 16 goillini03 @ 04/25/16 02:46 PM
Yes, I care. I want the game to be as sim as possible. If it is illegal, it should draw a flag. If Burfuct wants to lauch himself at a defenseless player in a real game, I want it in Madden.

There should be flags when it does happen, and there should be players have have tendencies to do these dumb things that cost your team in spots. These after the runner is down hits happen more often that most people think. Especially when the QB is out of the pocket.

# 17 SageInfinite @ 04/25/16 02:46 PM
Quote:
I think it takes away from the simulation to see players unrealistically launching themselves at guys that have been ruled down.

That's just me.
Absolutely agree. I think the clean up hits were over done. Glad to see them added, but they need to be tuned more realistically.

# 18 4thQtrStre5S @ 04/25/16 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Absolutely agree. I think the clean up hits were over done. Glad to see them added, but they need to be tuned more realistically.
How would you tone down clean up hits? I think going low is a great animation; why would a CB go high on Gronk or other big receiver like a Megatron?

I believe the clean up hits wouldn't look all that bad, if you think they look bad, if the reciever reacted more realistically to a hit, to begin with..

# 19 bigd51 @ 04/25/16 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
It really comes down to the poorly done player interactions and physics at this point.

Players glyde, flicker, and fly around the field all the time in muddled messes that more closely resembles a high res game of Electric Football being played by a bunch of Push Puppets. They'll need to get their physics engine under control before they can control illegal hits.

Besides, my immersion is broken on an every other play basis anyway, and these hits aren't even close to being a reason why.

# 20 SageInfinite @ 04/25/16 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
How would you tone down clean up hits? I think going low is a great animation; why would a CB go high on Gronk or other big receiver like a Megatron?

I believe the clean up hits wouldn't look all that bad, if you think they look bad, if the reciever reacted more realistically to a hit, to begin with..
By overdone I meant they were late and illegal at times. They added them for the sake of having them, but they weren't implemented realistically in alot of circumstances that I've noticed while playing.

The stuff where the players were still up and trying to get free, I agree, looked pretty good.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.