Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

In a new blog post, EA details new gameplanning features for Madden NFL 17.

Quote:
"Gameplanning

Know your opponent’s tendencies every week then pick the right drills to attack and counter those tendencies in game. This new level of strategy delivers more variety and more fun when preparing for your next opponent, whether it’s a user or the CPU. Once you’re in game, expect to see a team boost for those plays you practiced helping you earn that critical score or a defensive stand to secure the win."

You will choose gameplans each week on offense and defense. For each, you'll complete drills which will enable XP boosts for your team as you head into the next week.

You'll be notified of these boosts at the start of each game. EA uses a vertical pass plan gameplan as an example. Every time you call a vertical passing play your players ratings will be impacted positively.

On top of this, tendencies will be available to view for opponents. You'll also be able to focus XP improvements on specific players and focus gameplans to pursue one of three goals: 1) You can try to counter your opponent by selecting a gameplan that takes away your opponent’s strengths. 2) You can go with what your team does well by choosing a gameplan that focuses on how you like to play. 3) If your team is in a rebuilding mode, you can lean on gameplans that give XP to the position groups of most need.

What do you think of the gameplan feature?

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 howboutdat @ 06/16/16 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJags904
This is what I mean by tweaking it to fit accordingly. IF, and that's a big IF, they tune it like that to only boost against plays it should stop then it would be perfect. I can only hope the GCs, DEVs, etc, get this feedback to the top of their list.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
yeah thats a mountainous IF to say the least.One which i doubt is the case.But we can always it was well thought thru before adding it to the game. Although , i will say, if it doesnt work that way... the casuals will love it.

# 22 GoJags904 @ 06/16/16 01:47 PM
Yeah they made it a thin line with adding boost but overall with all of the game play and commentary improvements I'm hopeful again for Madden. Plus, my favorite two additions, sim slow mode w commentary and offline XP sliders adds tons of life to my franchise you don't even kno'.

Oh yeah, and full player editing when I'm pissed with too many lopsided ratings in deep years so I'm good and chillin till 18 an frostbite.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

# 23 ggsimmonds @ 06/16/16 01:51 PM
I hate the boosts aspect of it and it worries for what we may expect from future titles that reintroduce coordinators.

The game should be designed so that the boosts happen naturally, but because it doesn't, that tells me Madden has a long way to go in replicating real football.

What I mean is that the game should provide you with your opponent's tendencies, the amount of information provided would in the future be determined by the skill of your coordinators. You then take that information and use it in devising your own gameplan to attack the weaknesses. In other words, put the onus on the user to gameplan instead of relying on arcadey powerups. If the user devises a good strategy, increased success will occur on its own.

And with regards to the screenshot several posts back about a team running a screen 6% of the time, there better be more to it than that, otherwise this feature is almost useless.

# 24 howboutdat @ 06/16/16 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I hate the boosts aspect of it and it worries for what we may expect from future titles that reintroduce coordinators.

The game should be designed so that the boosts happen naturally, but because it doesn't, that tells me Madden has a long way to go in replicating real football.

What I mean is that the game should provide you with your opponent's tendencies, the amount of information provided would in the future be determined by the skill of your coordinators. You then take that information and use it in devising your own gameplan to attack the weaknesses. In other words, put the onus on the user to gameplan instead of relying on arcadey powerups. If the user devises a good strategy, increased success will occur on its own.

And with regards to the screenshot several posts back about a team running a screen 6% of the time, there better be more to it than that, otherwise this feature is almost useless.
I agree with ya on the boosts.As for is there more to it than the 6% thing from other picture. There is , but it does not appear to be a whole lot .

Here you see a few break down numbers on their offense.I would assume you can see the same on defense too. Although id love to see it break down even more info, this is a start at least.

Then you have this one :

Showing dif plays you can practice and it tells what they are good used to counter a defensive play.

# 25 ggsimmonds @ 06/16/16 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
I agree with ya on the boosts.As for is there more to it than the 6% thing from other picture. There is , but it does not appear to be a whole lot .

Here you see a few break down numbers on their offense.I would assume you can see the same on defense too. Although id love to see it break down even more info, this is a start at least.

Then you have this one :

Showing dif plays you can practice and it tells what they are good used to counter a defensive play.
There is not really anything in depth about it. So the Broncos are shown to run stick 18% of the time, but that is all that I see. No breakdown by down, distance, personnel grouping? Just a flat 18% of the time?

Yeah, pretty much useless. Should help more on defense though

Edit: Useless may be a bit too harsh. You can use the flat percentages to get an idea of the basic offense and what they are hoping to accomplish I suppose. Ironically enough it may be more help in online leagues that are a bit more, lets say lax when it comes to sim style gameplay where they don't mix up playcalls much. But in good sim leagues and offline franchise, I don't think it is going to make much of a difference.

# 26 huskerfan4life @ 06/16/16 08:21 PM
I really like this new addition and I really think that if we give them a couple of years to perfect it and I think it could be an awesome feature

# 27 SpyPirates @ 06/16/16 11:53 PM
This definitely seems to be a better place to start than the current system. It looks like xp will go to a broader array of players (all players from two position groups on each side of the ball). Next up IMO is to take out xp-for-stats during gameplay, and adding a preseason training camp. The training camp could work somewhat similar to this system where you choose which position groups and a few players to focus on, run drills, and get xp based on your selected focus areas and drill performance.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.