Home
NHL 17 News Post

Game Informer has posted 68 things they know about the game, that you might not be aware of. The list includes details from gameplay, franchise, EASHL, Draft Champions, HUT and much more. Some items are listed below, but read the entire article here.
  • Practice mode is finally more fleshed out, allowing you to practice with one player versus a goalie, power plays, penalty kills, 3v3, etc. You can even practice as a goalie.
  • For the first time in many years, EA is introducing a new difficulty. The semi-pro setting slides nicely between amateur and pro settings.
  • In fact, EA has surfaced tuning sliders for most gameplay settings so players can tweak to their liking. The new sliders are the same ones the developers use to tune the game, ranging from 0 to 100. They now allow players to alter settings of everything from the speed of passes and how much players bobble passes to the frequency that specific penalties get called.
  • Everyone who played the past two NHL games has a story about landing a successful check that knocks the player to the ground, only to have the puck be shielded by the downed player, which allows the checkee to recover possession before the checker has a chance to win the puck. EA thinks it finally found a solution to this. When you hit a player away from the puck direction, the puck can come free now and keep going. That should cut down the number of times we see this frustrating circumstance occur.
  • You can always spend to the salary cap, but the owner may not want you to. If you overspend past your budget outlines on contracts anyway, should you fail to meet the owner expectations, his judgment will be much tougher.

Game: NHL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 5 - View All
NHL 17 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 MavsUCCB @ 07/05/16 07:53 PM
I still miss custom music, my 360 had about 900 30 second clips ready to go for breaks in the play and it always made franchise mode a little bit more fun as I didn't hear the same 20 songs every game. Also replaced the menu music with the classic NHL video game music as well so I had a nice NHL 94-95-96-97-98 feel when messing around with my roster.

# 22 sooner1074 @ 07/06/16 10:47 AM
The most complete article I've read about NHL 17 to date. This is jam packed with information.

I love how the article pointed out things we've been requesting for years and called EA out on it like the SHARING ROSTER or OVERHAUL PLAYER RATINGS.

Really wish they threw some more love toward Franchise mode seems like they just did BeAGM and added moving teams/finances. Is that what we really wanted? Sure it will be nice for a year or two but how about more attention to scouting, drafting and developing players which is what the mode is all about in the first place?

Overall can't complain too much from such a small dev team. I just think this entire NHL franchise needs a shakeup from a new team. Madden went through one in recent years and it appears they are on the right track while this one is starting to become stale. Rammer and his squad keep rehashing the same stuff as in previous gen titles.

# 23 spoofrice11 @ 07/06/16 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Don't count on it being anything like NBA. NHL is a much smaller budget title. Expect the team relocation to be somewhat like Madden's has been for years.

As far as created teams, there is no info yet. Last gen you could create a team from any city you named and replace whatever team you wanted in GM mode with. It was a functional, if barebones, implementation.
Thanx for the response, but I hope that isn't the case on having to wait.
There are some logos/colors of teams I think are ugly. So if I want to get rid of the Devils and/or another team or 2, I have to play a year or 2 with them 1st (isn't that how Madden works? I haven't got a game for a few years).
Why wouldn't we just be able to get rid of them from the start and use our created teams at the beginning?

# 24 mikeq672 @ 07/06/16 11:54 AM
So essentially all this game did was add build a team in for franchise and EASHL, added net battles back in that were already a thing a few years ago, and updated some rosters, which will have everyone grouped together but everyone already plays the same anyway so whats it matter.

# 25 Money99 @ 07/06/16 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Agreed on Madden. I really like it, and I'm looking forward the feature (however it is implemented) in NHL.
Me too.
I like how I may have to play a full season before relocation, which should affect attendance.

Madden's always had a much deeper franchise mode and I'm glad the NHL series is finally getting some love in that regard.

# 26 actionhank @ 07/06/16 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Me too.
I like how I may have to play a full season before relocation, which should affect attendance.

Madden's always had a much deeper franchise mode and I'm glad the NHL series is finally getting some love in that regard.
I hope it actually affects the way they have the divisions. It's going to be frustrating if you do something like move the Coyotes to Hartford...only to have them still play in the Pacific division.

# 27 actionhank @ 07/06/16 04:00 PM
I really hope they adjusted the way 3 on 3 works with the AI.

The AI pretty much play like they do when it's 5 on 5, but they should be playing much more cautiously without the puck, and more aggressively with it. It would be nice to have a setting to how aggressive you want them to be.

Additionally, it would be nice to see guys try to get open, not just try to move a predetermined distance away from you when you have the puck. Their handedness would really come into play on this.

# 28 mikeq672 @ 07/06/16 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
I hope it actually affects the way they have the divisions. It's going to be frustrating if you do something like move the Coyotes to Hartford...only to have them still play in the Pacific division.
Lol cmon, we all know it wont and your team will remain in whatever division it was in.

# 29 Södy @ 07/07/16 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeq672
Lol cmon, we all know it wont and your team will remain in whatever division it was in.
Would be nice if they switch divisions after a few years though. Like with Peg.

# 30 Vikes1 @ 07/10/16 04:50 PM
I'm happy to read about the slider changes. Hopefully 1-100 will make them more effective. And if done well, the relocation thing may be good addition. Not too sure i'll want fuss with hotdog prices etc. But again, if done well, could add nicely to the franchise mode.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.