Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

"Time for a rebuild!" That's a phrase that gets a Madden gamer more excited than perhaps any, yet is a phrase that is wholly unoriginal at this point.

The word "rebuild" or "re-build" turns up 17 times through the first 11 pages of the Madden 17 Franchise thread. When I searched for the word "established," not a single match.

Perhaps it's our love obsession with the NFL Draft, the next big thing or just proving to the world we can easily outwit the guy with the masters in business/sports management running the team in real life who's competing against real-life adversaries as opposed to Madden's (cough) team-management AI.

These sort of threads all start the exact same way, weaving the same boring story told over and over again: "I traded up and drafted my franchise QB!" In Madden, is that even a challenge? Should we be that impressed?

Read More - Rise Above the Madden Rebuild

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 LJ0705 @ 08/06/16 11:48 AM
Would the Eagles be considered as an anti-rebuild?

# 2 Downtown Bob @ 08/06/16 03:00 PM
Yeah I agree. I'd prefer a team that is not already in a full blown rebuilding phase and that is why I am picking the Washington Redskins. Yeah they made the playoffs, but are far from a Super Bowl contender. They have big time players but also interesting questions at many position. I am super excited for Madden 17

# 3 stocksy @ 08/06/16 03:17 PM
I personally think NY Jets count as a anti rebuild but looking at the Madden Stats they are one of the bottom teams. Looking through the team overalls you wouldn't want to place any bets on the season based on the Madden rankings.

Laughable really.

Not sure how they work out or adjust the overalls but I'd have though starting with how teams finished last year is a good place to start.

Clearly they don't

# 4 BreakingBad2013 @ 08/06/16 03:21 PM
Madden ratings system does not allow for a true rebuild. The players play too similarly, good players are easy to get, and you don't have any scheme/team chemistry influence. Also with a lackluster draft system, it's too easy to hit on picks. A rebuild in madden take one, at most two seasons. But depending on your skill level of madden, you can win multiple Superbowls with Cleveland without addressing any major roster concerns.

And this has been my biggest issue with madden CFM. The ratings mattering and being more spread out will single-handedly fix Madden's parity.

# 5 Kurt Rambis @ 08/06/16 03:34 PM
By far one of the best articles I've actually read in awhile..

# 6 tril @ 08/06/16 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
Madden ratings system does not allow for a true rebuild. The players play too similarly, good players are easy to get, and you don't have any scheme/team chemistry influence. Also with a lackluster draft system, it's too easy to hit on picks. A rebuild in madden take one, at most two seasons. But depending on your skill level of madden, you can win multiple Superbowls with Cleveland without addressing any major roster concerns.

And this has been my biggest issue with madden CFM. The ratings mattering and being more spread out will single-handedly fix Madden's parity.
agree with this.. a rebuild in Madden is not a challenge.
In the future Madden needs to add a slider which dictates how many franchise players are in any given draft. Similar to the feature in NBA2k's gm/my league mode.

Madden should be more strategical when it come sto drafts. football is an in depth sport and is poorly reflected in drafts. seriously a star based system that is capped similar to a APF2k system would do wonders also.
it would really force teams to think strategically when drafting for future drafts, and better reflect parity that exists in the NFL.

this isnt an anti Madden comment just pointing out fhat long term planning in a franchise mode is too bare-boned in Madden football. and Im speaking of past Madden releases not this upcoming release.

# 7 Ueauvan @ 08/06/16 05:23 PM
as a 49ers plan anything i can do to get a normal steady pocket passer who can get the ball within 3 ft of his own players would be my aim, and an oline to protect him

# 8 khaliib @ 08/06/16 06:02 PM
With several communities to provide an experience for, it's very difficult to provide an up to date Franchise experience with continued cut/paste, tweak/tune over an outdated foundation.

The limitations of the mode and what they can do is revealed even more so as the mode is compared to what other sports genre are producing/providing in respect to their Franchise experience.

Because of this, a large enough gap/discrepancy from team-to-team and/or player-to-player is not provided so that one is truly put in a "Rebuilding" process.

From an Front Office difficulty to Coaching Schemes to Player Personnel, the challenges are not vividly present before a gamer, where ultimately, these areas impact the gamers ability to compete for every win on a game-by-game bases.

Working with a model were "Talent Discrepency" is a calculating aspect in the AI's approach against the gamer, decisions to create the greatest "Talent Discrepency" via Front Office, Coaching/Scheme and Player Personnel, would then help drive a true Rebuild experience that's truly challenging.

Currently, the game AI does an "OK" job of trying to build to win by staying within the parameters that's programmed, but what's missing is that same AI trying to prevent the gamer from improving Front Office, Coaching/Scheme and Player Personnel wise, there by, making it more difficult to improve the team, thus, win games.

Basically in a nutshell, a "Rebuild" is needed to eliminate ares/aspects that continue to prevent the mode from being brought up to par level that others in the genre are already progressing from.

With player editing finally inside Franchise mode, I have a 50-70-90 idea, along with a Reversed Stamina concept, I'm going to explore for viability within the structural ratings framework, for a more challenging Team Building Franchise.

May or may not work, but looking forward to dawning the lab coat once again for M17, to test some thoughts out towards improving the Franchise experience even further.

# 9 reyes the roof @ 08/06/16 06:03 PM
I always play with The Bears. I skipped last years game and barely touched the year before, so they've typically been an anti-rebuild with a good defense and an offense that if I can get some middle of the pack play I'll have a lot of success. Seeing that they're the second worst overall rated team this year, this will be my first time playing with a true rebuild

# 10 dannibalcorpse @ 08/06/16 06:51 PM
I think the Giants will be a fun "anti-rebuild" this year. They were 6-10 last year and had a lot of holes, but you have Eli (&that contract) not going anywhere, you have OBJ, you have a ton of money on the D-line and secondary that's gonna screw your cap up if you just blow it all up - yet I don't see them being more than an 8-8 team this year. Should be fun to try and get them over the hump this time around!

# 11 Godgers12 @ 08/06/16 06:57 PM
I think Raiders fall into that category too. I have the Texans and Raiders in 2 of my CFM's. Both need secondary and OL help.

# 12 solmon @ 08/06/16 07:39 PM
This is a great post!!! Totally agree, the rebuild gets tired.

# 13 Ruben2424 @ 08/06/16 08:43 PM
I get it, but there is nothing more rewarding in Madden than rebuilding a team. Period. I rather take the time to develop players, pick up key veterans in free agency , and draft future superstars to help propel my team over the top. Starting a franchise with a middle-of-the-road team gets boring quick since all it takes to succeed is usually the additions of a few key free agents here and there. Either way, I love starting up a new franchise mode and getting completely immersed in it!

# 14 BreakingBad2013 @ 08/06/16 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
I think Raiders fall into that category too. I have the Texans and Raiders in 2 of my CFM's. Both need secondary and OL help.
Both are two young excellent madden teams.

# 15 Sheba2011 @ 08/06/16 09:28 PM
I am a fan of the rebuild because I feel the established teams are just too easy. I don't want to come into the first season and already be contending for a title. Plus I prefer to mold the team to my preferences as a coach/GM which usually means by year 3 my team is almost entirely new. But a full rebuild doesn't always mean the worst teams to me, sometimes I like to take over those middle of the pack teams that will never win a title without some serious help.

This year I will be rolling with the team who needs the most help, the Cleveland Browns.

# 16 NewscasterNews4 @ 08/07/16 12:24 AM
One way to add a ton of challenge in a rebuild is to control all 32 teams AND re-signing, signing free agents and drafting for them. While this is very time consuming, it's so much fun and it adds so much immersion to see if your moves pay off during the season. Also, it gets rid of Madden's franchise AI's dumb decisions, making it a lot harder to build a super-team. I've been doing this since Madden 12, and while Madden's franchise still does have a ways to go, you can really have loads fun doing this.

# 17 Mike Lowe @ 08/07/16 02:20 AM
Glad to see this generating some good discussion. Thanks for the kind words and for sharing your plan for Madden '17!

# 18 Playmakers @ 08/07/16 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013

Awesome post man

# 19 Playmakers @ 08/07/16 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewscasterNews4
One way to add a ton of challenge in a rebuild is to control all 32 teams AND re-signing, signing free agents and drafting for them. While this is very time consuming, it's so much fun and it adds so much immersion to see if your moves pay off during the season. Also, it gets rid of Madden's franchise AI's dumb decisions, making it a lot harder to build a super-team. I've been doing this since Madden 12, and while Madden's franchise still does have a ways to go, you can really have loads fun doing this.
I think in years past i would have done this without any complaints

But here we are in madden 17 on high powered gamming systems and we are still having to manually control everything.

Ea at some point should try to alleviate the need of this and fix the AI issues. It seems like every year we have to baby sit the AI just to get a realistic franchise mode in terms of cpu ai decision making.

# 20 sir psycho @ 08/07/16 07:49 AM
There also really needs to be some strict house rules to provide a challenge for rebuilding(or anti-rebuild, or whatever). I usually feel the need to limit the number of players I can re-sign above certain ratings, and then also limit the number of players I can sign in free agency at those ratings as well. Other ideas would be not scouting in the draft or only scouting 1 attribute at most, to make it more of a crap-shoot. And also, with what is one of my least favorite things in Madden(the ability to see the drafted players ratings as soon as they are drafted), if I instantly see that my rookie is a bust, I might make it a rule that I can't draft another player at that position for at least a few rounds.
Just some ideas, and I'm sure others have better ones.

One of the possible anti-rebuilds, or it might be considered a "future rebuild" that I've been thinking of doing would be the Patriots. They have a ton of great players with contracts expiring at the end of year 1, including Hightower, Collins, Butler, Ryan, Sheard, Ninkovich, Vollmer, Bennett, and a few others with OVRs at 80 or above. Combine that with the possibility of losing Brady to retirement(in the game, not IRL) after the first year. It might be fun to go for 1 more ring, and then make it a house rule to not re-sign any of these players(or only sign at most 1), and then the rebuild starts in year 2.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.