Home
Preview
NBA 2K12 Preview

Last year at E3, I found out about the new arena-arrival cuts before the game. This year, the new pre-tipoff eye candy comes in the form of dynamic introductions. These are stylized videos with custom music showing off the marquee players of the matchup. It's basically what you see in real NBA broadcasts that tease the upcoming game.

According to producer Erick Boenisch, no two dynamic introduction videos will be the same as each clip shows off your favorite players performing different signature gestures they are known for doing before or during games. Think LeBron James' pregame toss or a Dirk Nowitzki fist pump after he sinks that high-arcing jumper. There's a new presentation package for playoff games with new starting lineup overlays and home crowds donning uniform colors throughout the arena. In addition, there was a "pop-up" promo involving players at the bottom left of the screen used to promote upcoming games. In terms of graphics, much is still unfinished says Erick, but there's an emphasis on re-lighting faces this year. Player faces and facial emotions are much more recognizable even while the ball is in play because of this lighting tweak.

Speaking of gameplay, a minimal amount was shown and even less was spoken about. However, it is clear more contextual moves will be added in NBA 2K12. Most of the shots taken in our Mavericks vs. Heat demo all seemed to be influenced by player momentum and the location of the ball before the shot animation began. I also noticed a push-ahead dribble by LeBron on a vicious drive to the bucket. That is a welcome sight for both 2K gamers and Heat fans. He couldn't go into detail, but gameplay producer Rob Jones acknowledged more dribbling upgrades are definitely coming in NBA 2K12. He added there would also be an improvement in how the AI uses specific players, making sure all the control and moves given to users are a part of the AI's arsenal as well.

Lastly, I spent a good amount of time trying to find clues about the NBA 2K12 cover athlete, but none was in sight. Community manager Ronnie 2K said they've come up with some crazy ideas so far, but nothing is decided yet. When asked if new play-by-play analyst Steve Kerr was maybe being considered, he vehemently shut that down saying, "Not a chance, and you can quote me on that." Bummer.

That's all for now from NBA 2K12 at E3. Do you guys like what you hear so far?

NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Shakedowncapo @ 06/09/11 05:04 PM
Have a feeling we'll see Mike on the cover again.

# 42 BlueNGold @ 06/09/11 05:06 PM
Personally I don't think we'll see Jordan on the cover again, but if we do I'd like to see something with Jordan and Pippen on the cover.

# 43 23 @ 06/09/11 05:10 PM
As long as hes in game thats cool

i wanna play with the teams more than drool over the cover although it wouldve been nice to have had a pic of him doing one of his moves on the cover last year

# 44 Eman5805 @ 06/09/11 05:32 PM
The thing I have with changings the commentator is now they have to start from scratch. Get all the basic lines down. So this year's commentary might not be as deep as it could've been this time around. *sigh*

Oh well. Hopefully the "Highlight reel play of the week" junk is gone.

# 45 Drewski @ 06/09/11 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
The thing I have with changings the commentator is now they have to start from scratch. Get all the basic lines down. So this year's commentary might not be as deep as it could've been this time around. *sigh*

Oh well. Hopefully the "Highlight reel play of the week" junk is gone.
Oh, how I love those lines.

"Spurtability is what I call it"

"Put a fork in em'"

"The D made that easy - much too easy"

"Despite his size, he's normally pretty choosy with his dunks"

"There are assists, and then there's delicious dimes"

# 46 blarg. @ 06/09/11 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
playoff crowds!!

oh man, cant wait for the next version to see what improvements they made!

# 47 Spanky @ 06/09/11 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers
Crazy ideas for cover athlete?

Could it be Brian Scalabrine?
Nothing crazy about that idea. He would have been my second pick, after Jarrett Jack.

# 48 cavsfan2 @ 06/09/11 06:41 PM
"home crowds donning uniform colors throughout the arena"
Does this mean that everyone will be wearing the same color like "white heat" or that people are wearing different colors but they are all team colors?

# 49 AsianPowwwa @ 06/09/11 06:56 PM
I'm probably guessing if the Mavs win the finals, Dirk will be on the cover. If, the Heat win, then LeBron or Wade will be on the cover.

# 50 Blue Hefner @ 06/09/11 08:06 PM
Each and every 2k has had horrible server issues no matter what they claim about fiber optics or new nasa technology they never ever fix this issue... but one of the most major issues i have with the 2k basketball franchise is how they make the worst possible players on the team have the easiest releases when was the last time you played the lakers and got torched by kobe from the perimeter? more then likely its steve blake leading the team in perimeter or shannon brown... played against the sixers last year? then you know jodie meeks well he has the textbook release and leads the team in scoring pretty much everytime i play against the sixers samething with von wafer on the celtics....

another dumb thing about 2k is just because your the tallest guy on the foor doesnt mean you have dennis rodman rebounding abilities i made a center in my player and my third i played against th emagic and out rebounded dwight howard 22 to his 10 rebounds because my player was 7'1 with 70ish rebounding numbers...

another dumb thing about 2k is that they have 1.5 million moves made for breaking down the defense but what about the great defenders in the league the Deshawn Stevensons, dewayne wades, the corey brewers why dont they have special tools to help them shut down the elite scorers in the game i put corey brewer on jodie meeks and he get torched game after game...

another thing i hate about 2k is the fact that this game tries to fool you into thinking that everybody has a mid ranged game everybody on the floor has a perimeter shot no matter the rating i play against the hawks and josh smith is torching me from deep (one foot inside the 3pt line repeatedly with defense in his face when in real life people want him to shoot that shot did u watch the hawks bulls series in this years playoffs his own fans boo'd him when he shot the ball WIDE OPEN cut the bull 2k and make a with a hordcore mode for real fans of the sport so i dont have to witness such foolishness

# 51 Blue Hefner @ 06/09/11 08:08 PM
i have tons more of things that the fan boys would not even notice because they are 2k fans and not fans of the sport of basketball

# 52 FedExPope @ 06/09/11 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski
Oh, how I love those lines.

"Spurtability is what I call it"

"Put a fork in em'"

"The D made that easy - much too easy"

"Despite his size, he's normally pretty choosy with his dunks"

"There are assists, and then there's delicious dimes"
"The provacaTEURR."

Hefner: The last one isn't really true. Smith is an exception. You don't get Howard beating you from mid range. Smith for some reason has shooting ratings that aren't horrible. His 3 point rating is 71 for crying out loud. Meanwhile Joe Johnson has a 68. Unless you're playing online, get some sliders man. Johnson's rating right now is 81 from mid range I believe, and he will miss plenty of mid range shots, and plenty of open 3 pointers. Online isn't even fun anyway, nobody knows how to play, nobody wants to play unless they're a key component to the team, the game doesn't sub in players when people disconnect from the game, and the "random" team selection gives you the Celtics, Lakers, Jazz, Mavs, Thunder, ol school teams or the Magic like 99% of the time. There's no reason to post up because defense is way too hard due to input lag, all you have to do is get in the paint, catch a pass and layup/dunk...and the stupid shotstick. I played my friend as the Hawks and lit him up everywhere on the court with Smith, even a foot beyond the 3pt line because of the shotstick.

# 53 knighthawksfan @ 06/10/11 02:00 AM
I will make sure too buy this when it hits the stores

# 54 Da_Czar @ 06/10/11 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hefner
i have tons more of things that the fan boys would not even notice because they are 2k fans and not fans of the sport of basketball
Blue Hefner what up fam ? Say man what's with all the hostility LOL ? You have some valid points but that may get lost in your seemingly angry tirade against alleged "fan boys".

Great and insightful discussion is more than tolerated here. Just like you feel strongly one way other's may differ. That doesn't make them "fan boys" all the time. That just makes them people with a different opinion. That's when a discussion breaks out and that my man is what were all here for I think.

So if you change your perspective you might get a different outcome.

# 55 Da_Czar @ 06/10/11 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianPowwwa
I'm probably guessing if the Mavs win the finals, Dirk will be on the cover. If, the Heat win, then LeBron or Wade will be on the cover.
What I wonder is if there is a lockout can players even appear on the cover ?

# 56 KyotoCarl @ 06/10/11 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
What I wonder is if there is a lockout can players even appear on the cover ?
Antoine Walker was on the cover of NBA Live 99, and that was the year there was a lockout.

# 57 Da_Czar @ 06/10/11 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
Antoine Walker was on the cover of NBA Live 99, and that was the year there was a lockout.
Thanks Kyoto. Excellent point !

# 58 Blue Hefner @ 06/10/11 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Blue Hefner what up fam ? Say man what's with all the hostility LOL ? You have some valid points but that may get lost in your seemingly angry tirade against alleged "fan boys".

Great and insightful discussion is more than tolerated here. Just like you feel strongly one way other's may differ. That doesn't make them "fan boys" all the time. That just makes them people with a different opinion. That's when a discussion breaks out and that my man is what were all here for I think.

So if you change your perspective you might get a different outcome.
i mean no disrespect to anyone my term fanboy is a harmless jab aimed at the people that call themselves fans of the sport of basketball that think that more iso moves is gonna make the perfect game even more perfect. ive owned every 2k basketball since dreamcast and even when i bought every live game i always supported 2k basketball because it was improving year after year once it officially took the thrown from the live series they started to get sloppy in my eyes.

i dont play association mode i enjoy playing online against other humans and for example 2k has offered the choice of creating or joining online leagues for quite a while now. madden started this maybe 2 or 3 games ago but they have already surpassed 2k baskets online league options. madden allows you to only only create an online league but u can play in it by yourself against 31 cpu controlled teams in 2k basketball if someone drops your league any game against them has 2 be forfiet until a new owner is found so if i only have 20 people i have 2 eliminate teams from my online league which is not realistic. also madden has 10 years of online franchise and atleast that many draft classes so even if you are stuck with the buffalo bills you can get better through the draft, 2k basketball has a one season and done so who really wants to go through a season with the clippers or the cavs when there is no hope to improve your team with trades and then there is no next year so once someone is out of the playoff picture why even continue to play your stuck madden has made these improvements within the last 3 games what has 2k done to the online league mode in the same amount of time

like i said i have given 2k my money and looked the other way while they ignored issue after issue and plea after plea about what would make the game better and in the same token improve sales and overall satisfaction i dont intend to hurt any feelings or start any beef on the forums but my thing is flaming the 2k forums has proven it wont work we have 2 let them know just like i did with madden last year that if you are not going to field our suggestions then we will take our money elsewhere and i dont expect the video game players to undestand unless they are fans of the game

# 59 Da_Czar @ 06/10/11 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hefner
i mean no disrespect to anyone my term fanboy is a harmless jab aimed at the people that call themselves fans of the sport of basketball that think that more iso moves is gonna make the perfect game even more perfect. ive owned every 2k basketball since dreamcast and even when i bought every live game i always supported 2k basketball because it was improving year after year once it officially took the thrown from the live series they started to get sloppy in my eyes.

i dont play association mode i enjoy playing online against other humans and for example 2k has offered the choice of creating or joining online leagues for quite a while now. madden started this maybe 2 or 3 games ago but they have already surpassed 2k baskets online league options. madden allows you to only only create an online league but u can play in it by yourself against 31 cpu controlled teams in 2k basketball if someone drops your league any game against them has 2 be forfiet until a new owner is found so if i only have 20 people i have 2 eliminate teams from my online league which is not realistic. also madden has 10 years of online franchise and atleast that many draft classes so even if you are stuck with the buffalo bills you can get better through the draft, 2k basketball has a one season and done so who really wants to go through a season with the clippers or the cavs when there is no hope to improve your team with trades and then there is no next year so once someone is out of the playoff picture why even continue to play your stuck madden has made these improvements within the last 3 games what has 2k done to the online league mode in the same amount of time

like i said i have given 2k my money and looked the other way while they ignored issue after issue and plea after plea about what would make the game better and in the same token improve sales and overall satisfaction i dont intend to hurt any feelings or start any beef on the forums but my thing is flaming the 2k forums has proven it wont work we have 2 let them know just like i did with madden last year that if you are not going to field our suggestions then we will take our money elsewhere and i dont expect the video game players to undestand unless they are fans of the game
I got you Blue ! Again I can't argue with much of anything you wrote. One this I can say is that from the inside they are not happy at all with the online performance of the game. So although you may not have heard it voiced know that online is not where they want it to be and they did throw an honest effort at it last year from a performance standpoint. It wasn't enough and they are again aware of that. I told them myself that when EA comes back your online is going to be a problem because theirs .... WORKS.... LOL.

From the information we have heard so far it "seems" like they are trying to touch every area of the game and tighten and polish I can only hope and assume ( I know I know ### of you and me right LOL) online will be better.

# 60 aloncho11 @ 06/10/11 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan2
"home crowds donning uniform colors throughout the arena"
Does this mean that everyone will be wearing the same color like "white heat" or that people are wearing different colors but they are all team colors?
Yes it is. All part of the massive presentation and atmosphere revamp 2K is doing as you may have read and seen on the video interviews.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.