Home
Major League Baseball 2K9 REVIEW

Major League Baseball 2K9 Review (Xbox 360)

March 3, 2009 was supposed to be a day of triumph for 2K Sports. The final chapter in a three-year development cycle that started with MLB 2K7.

Each new edition was to be another layer of bricks built upon the initial foundation, remaking the baseball video-game genre as we knew it. MLB 2K9 was to be the shining star at the top of a glorious skyscraper of baseball awesomeness.

As they say, "the best laid plans of mice and men."

Instead of being the final chapter, MLB 2K9 once again marks a new beginning for the franchise. Visual Concepts has once again taken over development of the series -- the studio had previously been separated from the baseball series for several years.

As for the game itself, many aspects of it are actually fun and exactly what you would expect from a big-name title. The franchise mode is deep and does a good job telling a story about the day-to-day life in the MLB (post-patch at least, more on that later), and the new "Real-Time Atmosphere" does a great job of making you feel like you are watching the game on live TV.

While the online features do not include an online franchise, up to 30 people can compete in a league with a fantasy draft and trades included, and the "Living Rosters" are a great new addition for those who love having up-to-date rosters.

Put those items together with extra goodies like 2K Reelmaker, Home Run Derby and 2K Share, and you have plenty of solid additions to the game.

But the game is hurt in the one area it cannot afford to be: on the field.

Unfortunately, MLB 2K9 doesn't quite get the game of baseball right.

On the Field

The biggest problem with MLB 2K9 is that, sadly, most games play out like a high-pitch summer softball league game, and not like a showcase of some of the finest baseball professionals in the world.

I am not talking about one of those softball leagues with equipment rules either. I am talking about one of those leagues where all the players have $500 NASA engineered bats.

Computer-controlled hitters hack away at almost anything near the dish and make a ton of contact in the process. In fact, during about a week of playing MLB 2K9, I can count the number of strikes called looking on two hands. Called third strikes are an even rarer commodity -– nothing less than a perfect pitch will ring up a hitter on default sliders.

Now, you can artificially work the count by throwing balls to boost the pitch count. Nevertheless, the stark reality is that hitters work the count to try and get a pitch they like, which is not the case in this game. The same goes for the A.I. when it pitches. I could take two strikes in hopes that the A.I. throws a ball, but why not swing away when I know there is little to no chance of being walked on the default sliders.

Couple this free-swinging attitude with tons of long balls and a lot of offensive fireworks, and the softball league analogy holds true.

Looking back, I did sort of know something was up when I scored six runs in my first MLB 2K9 game. Sure, one of those runs was of the old-school, manufactured variety, but it was followed by a three-run homer and a two-run homer.

All told, I had more than 10 hits in my first MLB 2K9 game, which is completely out of character for me.

With any new baseball game, I tend to follow the same path. I get thumped 5-0, 6-1, 7-2 as I try to get my timing down and learn the nuances of the game. However, I never remember turning on a ball and hitting a monster home run less than an hour after turning on the game.

The pitching system this year also feels uninspired. The default "hold and gesture" is just a neutered version of the pitching system MLB 2K8 pioneered last year -- that while new and innovative, some felt was too hard.

So this year 2K put the same system in, but without the final hold, while also removing any indication of how effective your pitch actually is. Did you do the pitch gesture the right way? Who knows. The same problem is there if you use the classic pitching system.

Getting hits in MLB 2K9 is easier than ever.

As a comparison, if you are pitching with a meter, you get instant feedback telling you how effective a pitch was. If you hold a button too long on the way up, you usually know before the ball is thrown. If you hold it too long on the way down, you know before the ball is thrown. Last year you knew how effective your pitch was as well because the game showed you.

This year, though, you find yourself trying to guess how close to perfect that last pitch was. It really makes it tough to get your timing down on pitches when you have to guess where the top and bottom limits of the system are.

Fielding is also an issue. While play in the infield is pretty solid -- sans the moments when your first baseman does not touch the bag when catching a ball -- the outfield is an adventure. Your players will regularly slow down for no apparent reason, as if they suddenly have lead in their cleats. They will also routinely misplay balls that should be easy outs.

The A.I. will make some wonky decisions in the field as well. Sometimes it will run the ball into second base while a player rounds third and heads for home, and sometimes it will not flinch as the ball sails right past it.

There also does not seem to be much of a speed difference between outfielders. Manny Ramirez seems to move just as quickly to a spot as Carlos Beltran does.

Again, cue the softball comparisons.

Throwing is also inconsistent. The game does not preload throws as much as it should, so you will find yourself throwing some floaters until getting the hang of the system. Holding the left trigger to make a quicker throw also takes some getting used to.

On the positive side of things, the biggest shinning star in all of this is the running system. Stealing is controlled by the left trigger. You tap it to take your lead and then hold it down until you are ready to take off for the next base.

Being able to lead off a base and tell your player when to take off gives you a ton of control. Things like delayed steals, better hit and runs, run and hits and other types of small-ball strategies are very viable as a result.

You also have two options for controlling runners when the ball is in play. You can use the right stick to tell a runner where his final destination is, and you can also use the triggers and bumpers in a fashion similar to previous games (advance all runners, retreat all runners, and so forth).

When you get good at it, you will be able to do things like tell a runner on second to head home, then control the hitter and wait to see if you should advance him to second or not, which will obviously depend on where the ball is thrown.

Make no mistake about it, the graphics aren't bad at all.  They just aren't spectacular.

Graphics and Audio

While the player models are not the best out there, the overall graphics in MLB 2K9 are impressive.

Stadiums feel bigger than life, and the lighting in this game is top notch. Where the game really shines, though, is with the "Real Time Atmosphere" feature -- essentially the cut scenes between the on-the-field action.

Whether zooming in on the face of David Ortiz as he steps into the box or showing Dusty Baker leaning on the dugout railing, the "camera work" adds a nice television-like feel to the game.

As impressive as the stadiums look, the crowds are equally unimpressive. While they do perk to life at some big points, usually late in the game, the crowd is usually pretty lifeless and just sitting around like bumps on a log.

And while Steve Phillips is not my cup of tea (Mets fan), him and Gary Thorne are a solid play-by-play commentary duo.

Another decent new feature is the postgame highlights. At first, it will seem like a great new feature because it will be fun to relive some of the moments once a game is over. After a while, though, you will realize that the highlights are fairly one-dimensional -- no clips of guys rounding third to score, no clips of outfielders showing off their guns to get a runner at home. You will see just three types of clips: hits/home runs, strikeouts, stolen bases.

Franchise mode is good if you can overlook the issues popping up.

Franchise

The franchise mode this year features most of the usual suspects you have come to expect –- trades, injuries, minor leagues, budgets, and so on -- and one of the major flaws in the mode has already been addressed via a patch (free agents should now be signed by teams instead of sitting in the free agent pool for multiple seasons).

A few new features, however, are sure to help keep your franchise going after you begin.

The addition of MLB.com, with headlines from around the league, should quickly and easily help players keep a finger on the pulse of every team in the league.

Free agency has also been reworked, providing a real system of negotiation between players and multiple teams. You are able to see what offers players have and are able to counter offer or pull out of negotiations as a result.

The draft, however, seems to be continuing the trend of "football offseasons" in baseball games where your high-profile draftees linger in the minors for a year or less before jumping to the MLB. As an aside, kudos for a very solid stat-simulation engine.

There are reports in the community of freezing issues within the franchise mode, but I cannot say I have had issues with them and do not know what exactly causes the issues either.

Playing online is doable this year, unlike last year.

Online Features

Sure there is not an online franchise, but you are able to get up to 30 friends in an online league and play out a season complete with playoffs (unfortunately flex scheduling does not appear to work right). You also have the ability to trade players and have a fantasy draft before you start a league.

Last year, MLB 2K8 was a disaster online. This year, online play still needs some improvement but it is at least playable. While the hitter and pitcher interaction is pretty solid, there are numerous and very noticeable slowdowns and lag issues when playing in the field. Also, for the sake of smoothness, the game forsakes one of its biggest strengths -- the camera work during the game. You also have the same problems with the gameplay that drag the experience down offline. In other words, tons of swinging for the fences and tons of contact even on pitches that only Vlad Guerrero has a chance to touch.

The Living Rosters will keep you up-to-date not only with player transactions, but also Inside Edge information. There is already a roster update available that includes most of the recent transactions.

You also have the ability to share rosters, sliders and created players online. 2K Sports Reelmaker also allows you to put together highlight reels and share them online.

Other online features include leaderboards, home run derbies and card battle games.

MLB 2K9: Not so bad, but far from great.

Final Thoughts

Overall, I was pretty disappointed with this offering from 2K Sports, especially when I consider where the franchise probably should be at this point in the life-cycle.

The secondary features are great and add a ton of life to this game, but it is going to take a ton of slider jockeying or a patch to get the play on the field to match up with these secondary features.

On the Field: Too much offense, too many swings that make contact and some wonky outfield A.I. and movement hurt the on-the-field experience.

Graphics: Nice cut-scenes and close-ups give the game a nice television feel. The stadiums are very nicely lit. Player models are a bit on the average side.

Sound: Nothing to write home to mommy about. Crowds are usually pretty dead, except at limited points later in the game.

Entertainment Value: The on-the-field action really hurts this game, which has other features to bring you back for more. Unfortunately, it all kind of falls apart on the diamond.

Learning Curve: Most veteran baseball gamers will jump right in and start smacking the cover off the ball. It will take a few games to get over habits from older games (right stick for sliding as an example). Pitching is tough to get a feel for because there are no visuals to show you how successful your last pitch was.

Score: 6.5 (Decent)

Major League Baseball 2K9 Score
Stadiums, cut-scenes and atmosphere are good.
Lots of online community features.
Base running is new, fun and exciting.
Gameplay-wise, almost everything needs work.
Feels like a game of softball, not baseball.
Player models are mediocre.
out of 10
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Trevytrev11 @ 03/05/09 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat
I understand what you are saying, and it makes sense, but why should the AI not swing at a slider on the outside edge on the first pitch but then swing at the same pitch later in the count.
It's all a gamble. Your betting as a hitter that you will get a better pitch to drive.

There are pitchers pitches and hitters pitches.

A pitchers pitch is in a spot where he wants it that is non desirable to the hitter. Again because a pitch is a strike doesn't mean it's a good pitch to the hitter. Each player has certain areas of the plate that they are better at hitting than others. If a hitter can't hit pitches low and away very well, then if possible it's a pitch he wants to avoid unless of course it means striking out.

A hitters pitch is something in his zone that he is more likely to drive and will have a better chance of being successful in his AB at.

As a hitter, you want pitches in your zone. As a pitcher you want to throw strikes that are out of the hitters zone.

# 82 Pared @ 03/05/09 04:07 PM
Quote:
Yes, I have seen baseball...in fact, last year I only missed watching maybe 4 Cubs games on MLB.com (I live in New York..no WGN). I have been a baseball fan for over 20 years and understand that players take pitches. BUT player take pitches because they don't know what's coming, or maybe they do and have problems hitting that pitch or location, or they expect something easier to handle later in the at-bat. I get it. But taking a pitch is based on a human element. Taking a first pitch strike that you can hit, simply because it's "what you do", to me, has always seemed a bit silly. If you think you can handle the pitch, why not go for it? Now, from an AI perspective, the AI knows what you are pitching and whether they can hit it or not..after all, we are playing the AI's game, so the only way the AI will take a pitch it can hit is for the programmer to put into place something that stops the AI from swinging at first pitches...simply because in baseball, that's what happens.

It appears that there are mechanisms in place in the game to get the AI to not be as aggressive, and those mechanisms are simply not working, THAT is a problem that should be remedied. The AI is simply swinging at pitches that it can hit...I can't fault it for doing that, I can fault the programmer for improper implementation of mechanics that are in place to preclude this from happening.
Right, but the human element in video games is what typically is wrong with most games. That's what sets good games from bad games.

Think about Mortal Kombat where the CPU KNOWS what you are doing and can magically adjust. While this isn't THAT bad, it feels that way. Perception is reality, no? In this case, it would be...

# 83 nike23EA @ 03/05/09 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Haha, from what little bit I played of MLB 2K9 (literally two games) I would attest to most of the points made and the score. Not like I played it enough to give a review of my own, but MLB 2K9 is so far behind The Show it's not even funny. We're talking NBA LIve 06 compared to NBA 2K6 separation levels here.
Thats the problem with the stereo-type reviews. In some games (playing allstar difficulty) i get an offencive surge (sounds familiar ive seen 21 run ball games before in real mlb games)...but most of my games against the good teams with the reds im having 4-3 ball games 1-1 ball games going into the 11th inning and just lastnight i had a game against the Marlins go into 11 innings at 2-2 with each team only getting 8 hits and i had 12 strike outs with my pitcher (some were swinging some were looking and some were even checked swings.)

I guess its probablly because i am not trying to spam the right stick up...i get a variety of hits to all different directions just based on the timeing of my swing. This is the problem i have with most any baseball games that come out lets dump the hit aiming and the ability to jack home runs by pushing up on the stick...thats lame who comes up with these ideas when making sports games! While not the best baseball game in the history its not bad...sorry ill let you guys at OS get back to your show lovefest.

# 84 Muskrat @ 03/05/09 05:39 PM
I avoid the "right stick up spamming" except with certain hitters who typically swing for the fences (Soriano and Ramirez to be specific...and Lee sometimes..I'm using the cubs). I have noticed that certain "real life" situations work really well ie: hitting to the hole between 2b and 1b with a runner on first, etc...that works very well...

# 85 Jimbo68 @ 03/05/09 09:10 PM
I downloaded and played only three games of 2K9. I actually smiled as I turned the machine off. One of the biggest gripes that I'm seeing is that the AI batters swing at everything. In the last of my three, three-inning games, I had four strikeouts, two the AI batter did NOT swing, once he swung and missed and the other time the batter checked his swing and the plate ump punched him out. Not a bad pitching effort considering there aren't any sliders to adjust in the demo. I actually won that last game 4-0. Lost the first two games.

I enjoy using the sticks to pitch and bat. I don't like having to look at the pitching meters seen in The Show and MVP '05. But I did buy The Show '09 because I am a graphics and overall gameplay whore. It is what it is. Will pick up 2K9 when the price drops. Whatever happened to 2K games going for $19.99? Those were the days.

# 86 Blzer @ 03/05/09 09:47 PM
Quote:
Taking a first pitch strike that you can hit, simply because it's "what you do", to me, has always seemed a bit silly.
I just wanted to respond to this on a personal level.

I take the game of baseball very mentally when I play, and use everything to my favor when I can. I'm a leadoff hitter, so my job(s) are to: 1) get on base any way possible; 2) scout the pitcher for my fellow teammates. I abuse the latter so damn much when I play. If there were splits compiled into my stats, you would see that probably 80% of my at bats I have a two strike count, or last more than four pitches. I also walk over once a game on average. I'm a patient hitter in the sense that I'm looking in one zone for a long time, but this is besides the point.

Anyway, what I wanted to say about the "mental" thing is I'm really good at placing images into my head based on what I've seen. I recall my past at bats and pitches that came to me and in which sequence, and once I see a kind of pitch in the pitcher's arsenal, I remember how it moves and how the pitcher releases the ball, etc. But most importantly, if it's a pitcher that I haven't seen before, I never swing at the first pitch. I want to get the timing down and see where he releases the ball (when I bat, I don't look at the pitcher, I look at where the ball is going to fly out of his hand). I take the pitch without even really looking at the ball, but instead making a mental note on where he released it, and stay in the box for the next pitch to make it recognizable for myself.

Anyway, if there were AB splits, you'd also see that I have more success later in the game off the same pitcher. It's just that kind of mentality that I have.

So the only reason I made the post is to say that I'll take pitches right down the middle if it is the first time I'm seeing the pitcher. Otherwise, down the middle will be fair game to hack at.

# 87 BlyGilmore @ 03/05/09 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Nobody is making excuses for anything being broken. If it can be remedied with sliders, it's NOT broken. Period. That's what they are there for. If you feel like the CPU gets too many hits, then lower the slider and there is no problem. That analogy is terrible for the simple fact that games which I think are unplayable without sliders (again NCAA Football 2009...much more unplayable than this game out the box, NBA2K9) are capable and in many cases, enjoyable to alot of people with default sliders.

Point blank, the issues that MLB 2K9 has (wonky fielding, AI not taking strikes, lack of customization) can't be fixed with sliders. But don't give this rationale that sliders are meaningless or you shouldn't have to adjust them. They're apart of video games just like Franchise, CAP, Editing Players, etc.
I never said they are meaningless. I said they are to tweak and perfect - not fix.

# 88 bodean @ 03/05/09 11:16 PM
This game, like last years, is HORRIBLE!

Seems like 80% of the people on 2ksports forums seem to agree. Can't believe this company continues to put out sh|t products.

# 89 snugglyirishman @ 03/06/09 01:59 AM
I feel that this game is straight trash....bought a PS3 just for the Show and absolutely love it. Now I have played 2K baseball every year that it has been put out and to tell the truth I even found last years copy entertaining. That could be because I could strike people out in that game and didn't combine for 35 hits in my first game, the final score being 9-8 with 3 errors for the Cubs and 1 for the Astros. In the second game, the Cubs had 3 more errors by the 2nd inning and these weren't throwing errors, the outfielders dropped the ball 3 times. The player models are "okay" and the defense is choppy. I'm selling this game back and sticking with the Show....straight garbage.

# 90 Muskrat @ 03/06/09 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I just wanted to respond to this on a personal level.

I take the game of baseball very mentally when I play, and use everything to my favor when I can. I'm a leadoff hitter, so my job(s) are to: 1) get on base any way possible; 2) scout the pitcher for my fellow teammates. I abuse the latter so damn much when I play. If there were splits compiled into my stats, you would see that probably 80% of my at bats I have a two strike count, or last more than four pitches. I also walk over once a game on average. I'm a patient hitter in the sense that I'm looking in one zone for a long time, but this is besides the point.

Anyway, what I wanted to say about the "mental" thing is I'm really good at placing images into my head based on what I've seen. I recall my past at bats and pitches that came to me and in which sequence, and once I see a kind of pitch in the pitcher's arsenal, I remember how it moves and how the pitcher releases the ball, etc. But most importantly, if it's a pitcher that I haven't seen before, I never swing at the first pitch. I want to get the timing down and see where he releases the ball (when I bat, I don't look at the pitcher, I look at where the ball is going to fly out of his hand). I take the pitch without even really looking at the ball, but instead making a mental note on where he released it, and stay in the box for the next pitch to make it recognizable for myself.

Anyway, if there were AB splits, you'd also see that I have more success later in the game off the same pitcher. It's just that kind of mentality that I have.

So the only reason I made the post is to say that I'll take pitches right down the middle if it is the first time I'm seeing the pitcher. Otherwise, down the middle will be fair game to hack at.
Your post makes total sense to me and I completely understand this..the more pitches you see, the more likely you are to do better when trying to make contact. My argument is mainly towards those that are getting worked up over the aggressive AI hitting..I just find it a little over the top.

# 91 keats624 @ 03/07/09 01:44 AM
Just bought 2K9 when it came out...its terrible...im tradin it back in for 2K8
They had a good thing going in 2K8 and alot to build off of but they decide to take alot of things out of it and ended up taking all kinds of steps back.

Nothing will ever top EA's MVP series...especially 2005, one of my favorite games ever

# 92 Tyrant8RDFL @ 03/07/09 05:15 PM
One of the problems I have always had with 2k baseball is the feel of hitting the ball. It always felt like I was playing whiffle ball, and I never liked the sound effects used when the ball was hit.

Also the animations make the players seem like they only posses half a brain. They tend to look dazed at times when going from one animation to another.

# 93 bkrich83 @ 03/07/09 10:54 PM
Fair review imo. I think the game is fun, and will make a nice change of pace type game to play, but ultimately is not quite ready for prime time.

# 94 jeffy777 @ 03/08/09 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsNBroncos
but the game isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

You are right. It's not that bad, but it's just not as great as it should be either though. But I'm not going to pass final judgment until I see what VC does with the next patch. That's the only thing that's keeping me from going back to 2K7 right now or getting The Show for PS2. But if they can iron out the kinks, I'll stick with it and give it a high 7 or maybe even an 8.0 if they really work some mojo with that patch. We'll see.

# 95 ajb1980 @ 03/09/09 11:41 AM
Hi guys, can someone please tell me how to substitute my pitcher. I am not very familiar with baseball and it keeps saying something about a Bull Pen, help me please?

# 96 Eddie1967 @ 03/09/09 12:05 PM
Pause the game, scroll up and you should see the substitute menu.
If your talking about a pitcher getting hurt during the game then it should come up automatically.

# 97 Diesel3649 @ 03/09/09 01:17 PM
Very good review, fair and balanced, hit all the points, good and bad.
I've always had the theory with 2K baseball games that the game engine is just not that great, and needs to be scrapped and a new one built from the ground up. I still have that feeling when I see some of the same issues year after year. With 2k's money problems, I don't see that happening any time soon.

This is just a theory, but I haven't seen much to make me feel that I'm wrong in the past 3 or 4 years. Every year I still hope they come up with something great, but I feel that I should wish VC good luck making chicken salad out of chicken ****.

# 98 DMB82 @ 03/09/09 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
That's exactly my point, and why I put it in quotes.

How can you review a game, expecting the reviewer to be level in how reviews this game compared to other sports games, and expect them to factor in that sliders can "fix" a game for them?

Does that make sense?
Exactly. People expecting another review based on sliders are being ridiculous and grasping at straws. What sliders is he supposed to review on considering everyone would change different things if they were making their own sliders? Besides, expecting people to tinker with sliders for hours to attempt to play a game of baseball that isn't completely broken after they've just spend $60 on the game is beyond absurd.

# 99 DMB82 @ 03/09/09 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I don't really get it. I'm saying to people it isn't broken, and that if sliders can make the game more to your preference - that should be factored in.
We are talking about videogame baseball, and your idea of what bliss is like will differ than mine.
I feel like the point of the review was to dock major points for the game not simulating real life baseball extremely closely - right out of the box.
I think your argument against mine is that the game is fundamentally 'broken' in certain aspects - is that right? And that sliders can band-aid those aspects and that the consumer shouldn't be expected to have to fix those issues himself..at least I think that's where you're going.
I'm just saying this is all very subjective and I'm not convinced that the game has to be extremely sim right out of the box to get a good score.
I think it's a great 'fusion' of sim, especially with my current sliders and I'm very happy w/ how it's playing now. I could list stats like my team BA or pitch count and things like this. I'll have lower walks (taken and given) and pitch counts - but everything else is very believable and my games only take 40-45 minutes.
So basically why you disagree with the review is that you like arcade baseball. You'd probably loved the old Triple Play games too didn't you? Personally I want a realistic experience from my baseball experience right down to allowing me to control everything all 30 teams do with their rosters (thank you The Show!) and having 20-2 games and 85 HRs in a season by one player is neither fun nor acceptable. If I wanted to play MLB slugfest I'd play the baseball game that comes with the Wii. For $60 I want a baseball sim and 2K has once again failed miserably at creating that although I'd argue that they aren't trying to make a sim game anymore. They are clearly going for a more arcade experience (and like I said if that's your cup of tea, enjoy!).

# 100 DMB82 @ 03/09/09 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
the main difference is that 2k9 isn't broken...at least in my eyes. a typical game of mine I throw 85-95 pitches and the other team 95-120. That's not 'passable'? the game isn't for you...that's fine, but it's not broken imo either.
Amount of pitches thrown in a game determines whether this game is broken or not? Are you serious?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.