Home
OS Scores Explained Need for Speed Overview (PS4)
Pros
Solid arcade driving mechanics; City map is expansive; Plenty to do
Cons
Racing lacks excitement; Environment is lifeless; Rubber band racing.
Bottom Line
A title which offers good action, but perhaps a hair too repetitive and lifeless for some.
out of 10
Need for Speed REVIEW

Need for Speed Review (PS4)

Ghost Games, developers of NFS: Rivals, is back at it with a suedo-reboot of the popular EA franchise, Need for Speed. While it may be considered a reboot, traces of familiarity are prevalent throughout the new title, and while that’s not necessarily a bad thing, it only works if incorporated correctly. As with most NFS games its fan base is looking for fast cars, customization, top-end speed and mayhem on the highway, but does the new offering from Ghost Games deliver what fans have been asking for?

Gameplay

As with any racing game, even an arcade based one, the core driving mechanics will determine a lot of the games value and playability, and thankfully NFS offers up a solid driving model. What is tricky here, though, is that if one chooses to only play the title on a limited basis, than you may not agree with my opinion. I had to devote hours into racing, unlocking and tuning, to get the car to handle exactly how I felt it should for my style. Whether that approach by Ghost Games is the correct one, well, that’s subjective at best, and ultimately comes down to each individual user. With that said, those who choose to learn how to handle the vehicle properly, rather than to fear or fight the mechanics, will find much more enjoyment in the game.

Regardless of your opinion of the driving model, NFS offers up a litany of choices within the game. Whether you fancy a straight up point-to-point race, time trial, drift challenge, or just love cruising around the massive city map that the developers created, you can do that, and in your own time frame. There are a lot of ways to describe the new NFS game, but linear is not of them. Not only are there a ton of modes to keep one busy, there are also side-missions such as collecting free parts for your car, turning donuts at a designated area for rep points, or outrunning the police. NFS is the kind of game that if you’re not careful with, one can incoherently lose hours to while playing.

Another extremely important aspect of any racing game are the cars – that’s a given, right? While NFS may not offer the insane amount of machines that other titles do, the ones they do offer fit the game perfectly and cover multiple disciplines of driving. Whether you’re looking for pure speed, the ability to drift, or straight handling, the type of cars that are available in NFS will have you covered. Of course with the right tuning and parts added your vehicle, you can build a vehicle that can achieve all three.

We can’t stress the importance of understanding and properly utilizing the handbrake in regards to drifting. We mention this because if not approached and handled properly, your experience on the road could be drastically different than what the developers set out for. The understanding of feathering the handbrake mechanic, along with proper analog stick manipulation will allow you to corner the vehicles so much more effectively, ultimately saving you time and creating a much better driving experience. The beautiful and massive city that NFS provides will give you plenty of opportunities to hit long straightaways for you speed buffs, but also requires one to understand the mechanics of drifting and cornering correctly. The impact of not doing so will not be felt early on in the process, but will eventually cause massive frustration later in the game – so learn it.

Story Mode

The new NFS speed steals a page from its past by utilizing cut-scenes to push the story forward, and while they may come across as cheesy and sophomoric, they’re supposed to. Without giving away too much of what will take place, let me reassure that after the first hour of gameplay or so within the story, the cut-scenes drop down dramatically – but sadly are replaced with cell calls that seemingly never end. Almost every single challenge that you face will revolve around the story, and one will notice it start to come together the more you accomplish. Don’t get me wrong, a lot of the messages are basically the same, and it does become a bit tedious and mundane listening to the phone calls, and watching the cut scenes, but a necessity I guess. I do wish the story was a bit more streamlined, and that the chaotic nature of the game was a bit toned down, but in the end the story has merit.

The decision to make NFS an “always online” game seems a bit strange to me, as it seems totally unnecessary in regards to the bulk of the game. When in story mode there is literally zero input that an outside online user has in regards to what you are trying to accomplish. In fact, the only time I actually noticed other users around, is when I was trying accomplish a racing goal, and they would interfere with said goal. Although my console is always connected, I do take issue with the online requirement for one big reason. During my time with the game, I lost connection to the server on four separate occasions because of my internet connection issues thanks to my provider. Is this the fault of Ghost Games? Of course not, but when you require the user to be connected online all the time, issues like this will pop up, and you are basically held captive by the problem at hand.

Other than always being required to be online, NFS does provide a wide array of subtle offerings for the online fan. First and foremost, NFS allows the user to create or join a crew of up to eight members. Why is that important? Mostly because the amount of money and rep points you receive will significantly increase if you are racing online with other crew members. The game also offers up three daily challenges, ability to upload in-game screen captures (and receive likes), and of course you can always jump into someones game and participate in their world. The game also offers leader boards and updated stats for you journey through the course of the game.

Final Thoughts

This may not be quite the game that many NFS fans were hoping, but that doesn’t mean the game should be discounted. The driving is fun and difficult at higher levels, and the overall experience gets methodically better with the more time devoted to playing it. This game has polarizing written all over it, meaning that there will be a contingency of people who love NFS, and those that will probably hate it, with very few in between. If I didn’t put in the time to go deep into story mode I might have been in the group of those that hate it, but I did, and I don’t. The story could be deeper, the racing could be better, but overall the game offers up fun experience that one will forget about three months from now.

Learning Curve – While it may take a while to learn all the nuances of the game, once you’ve done that, it’s pretty straight forward.

Visuals – The game can be beautiful at times, but the created environment doesn’t showcase it enough.

Audio – While the sound is well done, there just isn’t enough to be excited about.

Customization – The game offers a simple, yet, deep catalog of choices that should keep most happy.

Value – Not sure there is a ton of value here, mainly because of the repetitive nature.

Score – 7.0 (Good)

Need for Speed Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Fresh Tendrils @ 01/14/16 05:02 PM
I'll check, but my other games display just fine.

What do you have your PS4 display settings on?

# 22 Pappy Knuckles @ 01/14/16 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
I'll check, but my other games display just fine.

What do you have your PS4 display settings on?
Automatic.

# 23 Fresh Tendrils @ 01/14/16 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Automatic.
I figured it out. I don't remember seeing this option before, but there's a screen adjust setting and it was way out of wack. Weird how it has only affected NFS.

Anyway, I turned off all the drifting/braking assists and am having a more fluid experience drifting reminding me of NFS:Underground a lot more.

# 24 AUChase @ 01/16/16 02:26 AM
I didn't have very high hopes for this game and I mistakingly let some online opinions deter me from getting this game when it was on sale a few weeks ago. Well, I went home and visited a friend and his impressions of the game led me to purchase it for myself. I have to say, I actually enjoy it quite a bit.

I own Project Cars, DriveClub, NFS Rivals, and now this game. I think it's a great step in the right direction for rebooting a series by taking it back to it's best roots with Underground 2/Most Wanted.

I'm having a blast modifying cars, despite some inaccuracies with certain parts/upgrades like RWD specific upgrades for FWD cars. I do dislike the weather situation and wish it had a daylight cycle, but overall it's fun.

Most Wanted had some pretty cheesy cutscenes too and I enjoyed that game.

Overall I'm glad I purchased it.

# 25 Pappy Knuckles @ 01/16/16 01:09 PM
Glad to see that folks are enjoying it. The campaign is worth a run. I think it took me 30 hours to get the platinum and then there's the dlc stuff. I do hope the next DLC brings something new to the table, though. This honestly could've been an offline racer because the multiplayer in the game leaves a lot to be desired.

# 26 Fresh Tendrils @ 01/16/16 05:51 PM
The only negatives I really have to say about the game is the lack of manual transmission option and the soundtrack. Other than that this is definitely something to satisfy that nostalgia craving short of hooking up a PS2 and popping in NFS:U2.

There are times when I miss the Nissan 350Z and Audi TT quatro, but then I'm making new memories with the BRZ and Skyline. I'm posting some ridiculous drifting scores with the BRZ (sorry guys) and am still learning the ins and outs of that part of the gameplay. I might not go for this game as soon as I turn on my PS4, but once I get into the game its hard for me to turn off. I'll set a route to one of the main missions and then get sidetrack by events along the way there. Sometimes the AI drivers are morons, but so far the difficulty has been right where I want it to be.

OT: I completely forgot there were a handful of SUVs to flip over in Undgeround 2.

# 27 Chairman7w @ 01/18/16 07:14 PM
Yep, I love this game. It's just... fun.

Seems between Drive Club, Project Cars, and this, I have all the bases covered when it comes to racing games. Good times, man.

# 28 Fresh Tendrils @ 01/21/16 08:27 AM
The last event in the Style track is nasty. I've been within 5 seconds of the last one or two checkpoints two or three times, but I just can't string together a perfect run over 7 minutes.

# 29 Pappy Knuckles @ 01/21/16 11:10 AM
Quote:
The last event in the Style track is nasty. I've been within 5 seconds of the last one or two checkpoints two or three times, but I just can't string together a perfect run over 7 minutes.
Yeah, that one can be kind of tough. There's a style event in the DLC that looks even tougher. I only gave it one run, though.

The most difficult event in the game to me was MacDermid's Mile. Let me know what you think once you get to it.

# 30 ODogg @ 01/21/16 02:17 PM
I am still playing this and enjoying it but it can be pretty tough if I drink any beer for some of the events..

# 31 Fresh Tendrils @ 01/21/16 02:24 PM
I'm at the end of the Style track, am 3/4s of the way through the Build track, and the other 3 I'm between 25%-50%.

So far the two toughest evens have been the final Gymkhana for the Style track and the build event where I had to drive somebody else's Porsche. Jumping into a strange car was weird.

# 32 Fresh Tendrils @ 01/31/16 04:07 PM
Pappy, I ran the final Speed event in Magnus' ride. I beat your time by about 10 seconds on the first try. Not rufflin' feathers, just sayin'.

The only thing I have left for the base game is Robyn's Crew events and then I'll platinum this baby.

Also, there is an update coming next week. The two notable additions is a Photo mode that will be accessible by the cellphone menu. No word on if you will be able to open doors, trunks, and hoods, but its an addition I've been wanting for awhile.

The other notable is the ability to repair cars at gas stations like in previous NFS games. I would be happy with a "no vehicle damage" option since I have never noticed it affecting performance, but this is better than having to jump back to your garage for a reset.

# 33 Pappy Knuckles @ 01/31/16 09:52 PM
Quote:
Pappy, I ran the final Speed event in Magnus' ride. I beat your time by about 10 seconds on the first try. Not rufflin' feathers, just sayin'.

The only thing I have left for the base game is Robyn's Crew events and then I'll platinum this baby.

Also, there is an update coming next week. The two notable additions is a Photo mode that will be accessible by the cellphone menu. No word on if you will be able to open doors, trunks, and hoods, but its an addition I've been wanting for awhile.

The other notable is the ability to repair cars at gas stations like in previous NFS games. I would be happy with a "no vehicle damage" option since I have never noticed it affecting performance, but this is better than having to jump back to your garage for a reset.
Showoff. That event was a bitch for me.

# 34 Fresh Tendrils @ 01/31/16 09:54 PM
The event with Magnus' car. I have my speed car topped off with all elite parts now.

# 35 TrustedDegree4 @ 02/10/16 01:25 PM
Been struggling lately on the Eddie Challenges and during some regular races. Need some help finding a car for circuit, sprint, and time attack races. Tried out a few cars but not having any luck. Currently I have a Rx7 that I use for drift events, but I'm not having any luck finding a car that amazes me for regular races.

So far the game is great, the only thing I dislike is the stiff turning. It feel like I'm forced to drift around every corner. Wonder if they are going to add any nee cars yet, or have a DLC to expand the map some more.

# 36 Fresh Tendrils @ 02/10/16 02:16 PM
I hate the Grip side of the turning tuning. I typically left it in the middle or slid it to the Grip side a notch or two and put on Drift tires.

I ended up using a fully tricked out Skyline. I also ran some races with a fully loaded Porsche 911.

Drift events were my favorite events by far. Like you I really dislike the stiff turning for the other races.

# 37 TrustedDegree4 @ 02/10/16 03:17 PM
Quote:
I hate the Grip side of the turning tuning. I typically left it in the middle or slid it to the Grip side a notch or two and put on Drift tires.

I ended up using a fully tricked out Skyline. I also ran some races with a fully loaded Porsche 911.

Drift events were my favorite events by far. Like you I really dislike the stiff turning for the other races.
On my Rx7 I just kept the tune in the middle for the most. Going to work on it later today. I'm try that tune out for my skyline and see if it helps me out. You got the R32 or R34?

I was thinking of getting a Porsche but they got to many to choose from.

# 38 ODogg @ 02/10/16 03:30 PM
I use the drift car in all races whether they are drift or not, it helps give me a lot of nitro in the straight roads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 39 Fresh Tendrils @ 02/10/16 03:40 PM
I have the R34.

The Porsche I have is the 993.

My drift car is the BRZ I started the game with. Its done really well.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.