Home
Strategy Guide
Madden NFL 10: Gun Split - 689 Hook
Play: Gun Split - 689 Hook

Playbooks: Bal, Cin, Cle, Car, Det, Hou, Ind, Jax, Min, Ten, Balanced and more.

Setup:

Step 1: (From play-call screen) Move the right stick to the right once to change the package. In this case, this package change gives us a two RB package.

Step 2: Motion the slot receiver on the right to the left.

Step 3: Smart-route his route (Y + A + press in R3 stick on 360 or Triangle + X + press in R3 stick on PS3).

Step 4: Optional, hot route outside wide receivers or have the running backs stay in to block.

Reads:
-Right flat
-Sideline angle route
-RB hook
-Hot routes

Breaking the huddle

After our adjustments

We throw the ball towards the sideline so only the wide receiver can get to it

The deep "in" route is very nice too if we don't want to hot route

We want to hit the outside angle route when calling this play, but our first read is the right flat -- we simply cannot overlook it if the defense just gives it to us. With the two RB package, we can have a pretty good playmaker in there as well, so this route can rack up the yards.

However, like I said before, the angle route is our goal when calling this play. By smart routing this route, it shortens up the amount of distance in between his cuts, and it also really straightens out his route and turns it more into a corner fade. This is our primary read on this play against most coverages, especially man defense.

The RB hook is especially tough to defend. I say that because you can almost treat the running back's route like a circle route if you do not want him to sit down after running a hard hook. Also, one other thing you can do with this play is let the left outside wide receiver run his "in" route, which will pull the zoned linebackers off the RB hook route, resulting in an easy toss and catch for the running back.

I also like to hot route the outside receivers so they run manageable short routes, which makes sense to me because I already have the deep look with my slot guy. So before the snap, I usually tweak some things so the outside receivers go on slants and/or drags. This way I have quick check-downs if my opponent is blitzing. If your opponent is repeatedly blitzing and getting to the quarterback, you can also have one or both running backs stay in for added protection.

Final Thoughts

Big play capability, additional blocking assignments, quick dump-offs and routes that beat any coverage -- what more do you need in a play?

For more tips and Madden strategy, be sure and check out http://www.themaddenlab.com

Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 mrprice33 @ 08/17/09 03:20 PM
i love this play. it's awesome. kills man and zone alike.

# 2 CM Hooe @ 08/17/09 04:04 PM
This play is in the Cowboys' playbook as well.

# 3 laserrock @ 08/17/09 04:04 PM
mah, no opportunity for run. Run is and playaction ftw.

# 4 DearbornDolfan @ 08/17/09 04:06 PM
How DO you motion receivers if the play doesn't call for it?

Btw, Empty Trey - WR In is similarly automatic for me. The PA variants in the Y Split and one other gun formation that escapes me are nasty, especially on the right side switch route combo. The left side in cross run by the left flanker works as a checkdown that is hard for the linebackers to cover.

# 5 mmorg @ 08/17/09 04:10 PM
I run this play a few times a game. Very good play to take advantage of zone and man coverages.

# 6 mrprice33 @ 08/17/09 04:13 PM
just ran it and found another little wrinkle, if there's no safety help over the top, a nice lob to the slot man is a very good option.

# 7 UCHusky84 @ 08/17/09 04:47 PM
On 360, if you keep hitting B until you find the receiver or TE you'd like to motion, all you need to do is move the left stick left or right. Doesn't work on everything but on most plays it does.

# 8 DearbornDolfan @ 08/17/09 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCHusky84
On 360, if you keep hitting B until you find the receiver or TE you'd like to motion, all you need to do is move the left stick left or right. Doesn't work on everything but on most plays it does.
Aha! Thanks for answering that question.

# 9 CreatineKasey @ 08/17/09 05:04 PM
I like it! It is kinda like a home-made version of the play "mesh". This corner/fade looks more effective than the standard corner route against zone defenses in "mesh".

# 10 kennyacid @ 08/17/09 05:30 PM
dude just tried it on me and i picked it off. Good D beats any play.

# 11 mojo6911 @ 08/17/09 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeStrangeSin
wouldnt this be called "a cheese play?"
If you run it every down, yes. Otherwise, it is just effective.

# 12 mrprice33 @ 08/17/09 07:28 PM
this play certainly isn't cheese. it's just well designed. the only thing that might make it cheese is if the qb abuses the rb passes.

# 13 DirtyCobra @ 08/17/09 11:30 PM
Anybody know the other playbooks they are in other than Playbooks: Bal, Cin, Cle, Car, Det, Hou, Ind, Jax, Min, Ten, Balanced and more.....

# 14 Exonerated @ 08/17/09 11:34 PM
Play: Gun Split - 689 Hook

Playbooks: Bal, Cin, Cle, Car, Det, Hou, Ind, Jax, Min, Ten, Balanced and more

I thought this play was trash at first, but after looking at this, not bad, might give it a whirl.

# 15 matroska @ 08/18/09 02:14 PM
New Orleans has it.

# 16 KaptnKirk12 @ 08/18/09 02:57 PM
I like this play as well, although I usually don't motion the slot guy over. I'll make one of two changes though. I'll either hot route the right outside receiver to smart route, or do it for the slot guy. Usually I'll find one of them open or the dump off to the running back.

# 17 Sherman91587 @ 08/18/09 04:54 PM
Looks nice might have to try it out. I am still getting used to my playbook (niners)... Haha its training camp for us Madden players too.

# 18 fuddyduddie1 @ 08/19/09 06:33 PM
Nickle Cover3's worl well against this d..to stop the long plays. Usually a zone blitz can confuse the QB to hurry his throw.....But unless you are prepared for this play it will eat you alive.....custom hot routes use to allow me to customize post routes. I would use plays like this all the time....slotWR post+mainWR streak.

# 19 JJ Sticks @ 08/23/09 11:29 PM
Nice tip! Surprised to see the TML represented over here. Good stuff. Maybe we can get a tip of mine on OS before long.

# 20 JerzeyReign @ 08/24/09 05:03 PM
I've had a cheeser try to run this play alot, didn't work to well for him, he threw six picks. Cover 2 zone with press coverage, defensive assignments, double the threat, and a little bit of pressure. Too easy IMO

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.