Home

Forza Motorsport 4 Impressions From the OS Community

This is a discussion on Forza Motorsport 4 Impressions From the OS Community within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Forza Motorsport 4 Impressions From the OS Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0
Frustrating volume controls. There is only a master volume control now and then sfx and music have three settings off/low/high. I like to race loud with no music but like very faint menu music. If my master volume is maxed the 'low' setting on menu music is still way to loud for my liking. What was the point of getting rid of sliders for each selection - seemed to work great.

Agree.

Quote:
Auto-Revving starts. WTF is up with this arcade crap. Even with a clutch the camera is bouncing around and you get maybe one extra second to rev before the race starts. LAME LAME LAME and even more LAME considering it was huge complaint in F3.

Agree. After all these years they could have at least made it a toggle (on/off).

Quote:
No night racing. No weather. Many of the new tracks offer a dusk or overcast option but no night racing. I think one old track got an added sunset option as well.

I read somewhere that this at the expense of the framerate and simulation physics on the 360. So, there was a tradeoff and decision to go for framerate.

Quote:
Ai does not seem improved to me. In fact, so far in career I am finding the slow AI to be annoying. They stick blindly to their line and come down on you even when you are right next to them. They did not seem as dumb in the hard free races I have done but still seem a little less aware of you. I have seen several make huge unforced mistakes.

I've also read that the AI changes around level 32 or so.

Quote:
Car damage and pit stops are mostly the same. Damage might be bumped up a hair over F3 on sim but you won't see a DNF because of it.

Yup, they said the damage model would be unchanged many months ago.

Quote:
Bumps. Turn 10 specifically talked about how tracks are getting bumps added yet everything feels as smooth as glass to me. Even the front stretch on Seabring feels smooth now.

Hmmm.. is this with the controller or a wheel? I'm curious. And which wheel do you have if so?

Quote:
Best new feature - Rivals.
Worthelss new feature - Car Clubs
Overall Impression - New set of tires for the same great car we've been driving for years
Uninitiated Score 9.8/10
Initiated Score 7/10

Thanks, I really appreciated your post. Can't wait to play Friday night.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #66
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
thanks for the info. Guess I missed that in the manual. It was driving me nuts I could not find the setting. Now my only concern is what if the get too good. LOL.
I'm at level 37 now and the A.I. is getting tougher, however some times I'm still leaving them at the start line and never seeing them again. It' doesn't happen as often as it did early on in the game, it's just every now and then my car just overpowers the rest of the field. The higher you level up the more important car choice becomes . Pick the wrong car and you will get blown out by the A.I.. I always take a look at what the opponents are driving before selecting my car now.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #67
All Star

OVR: 8

I'm loving this game so far.

Between myself and my brother the xbox has hardly had a sleeping moment since we picked the game up on Tuesday.

pros:
-The detail put into the cars, tracks, and environment are all amazing.
-The list of high end cars is great. I pretty much have all the BMWs, Chevys, Lotus, Mclaren, Ferraris, etc...that I could want. It even has the first car I ever owned a mid 90s Dodge Stealth R/T.
-Affinity Bonus: love love love this. The reason I play games like Forza and Gran Turismo is so that I can have sexy high end cars and drop tons of upgrades on them. Forza 4 lets me do this by quickly obtaining 100% discounts on upgrades for the various Makes. Part of the reason I stopped playing Forza 3 is because I got tired of grinding out specific high yield races so that I could purchase a new car or even just the upgrades for it.

Cons:
-Game is generally a little easy. Especially once I finally got fed up with the computer assists and started turning them off. Some of the R3, R2, and R1 races can be a little tight, but for the most part I haven't had many issues.
-Starter car options are kind of poor. I was unimpressed with the options I had to start out the game with and was forced to drive for several races before I was able to purchase better cars.
-No weather...I really loved driving at night in the rain in GT5, really wish that was in this one.

Minor annoyances:
-When you upgrade your driver level and receive a new gift car, it does not tell you anything about the car other than what class it is in, if it is mid-engine or not and if it is AWD/RWD/FWD...I really wish it gave you tech specs at this screen as well as how much each car would cost to buy.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #68
MVP

TheDutchDad's Arena

OVR: 12

What's the online like? Fun game modes? Do you need to unlock nice cars offline to use them online? I'm considering getting it but I don't want to be a huge disadvantage if I want to jump straight into some online stuff.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #69
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial23
What's the online like? Fun game modes? Do you need to unlock nice cars offline to use them online? I'm considering getting it but I don't want to be a huge disadvantage if I want to jump straight into some online stuff.
Online has always been Forza's strength. The game offers something for everyone from the hard core to the casual to the drifters. You can jump in pre-configured hoppers (vote driven) or public/private races (host driven) along with a new feature called Rivals.

Rivals is not on online race but is a really fantastic addition worth mentioning. It is more of a super advance leaderboard system for a bunch of custom events. It pits you against your nearest friend's ghost (or nearest player if you don't have a friend who has done the event). You put your best time or drift score up against them and the game keeps everyone up to date with an in-game message center.

This year the online field is expanded to 16 cars which is just insane. You can also have up to 11 ai drivers as part of your 16 car field. There is a slew of host options for online races in host controlled rooms. You can setup everything from a multiclass race to a game of cat&mouse. Not only does the host have a ton of race options but they can also restrict just about any other assist or car setting as well.

Online you can choose from cars in your garage, your clubs garage or any stock car from the game. In many races a tuned car from your garage is going to be a slight advantage just because it can be as close to the class cut off as possible. That is not to say you cannot be competitive in a stock car but it is best to take the stock cars that are at the upper end of each class. You can also enter races where stock is a forced option so everyone is on equal terms.

Have a look about half way down this page and you can find some details about Monthly Rivals and the Turn10 Race Hoppers: http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/wir_10-7/

Last edited by lnin0; 10-14-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #70
MVP

TheDutchDad's Arena

OVR: 12

Thanks for the response. That's what I was looking for. I just want to be able to have some fun online in some fun game modes along with racing. I hear there is a "soccer' mode or something. Cat and Mouse is was always fun too.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #71
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
Minor annoyances:
-When you upgrade your driver level and receive a new gift car, it does not tell you anything about the car other than what class it is in, if it is mid-engine or not and if it is AWD/RWD/FWD...I really wish it gave you tech specs at this screen as well as how much each car would cost to buy.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/633...es%3Btitle%3B8

For people complaining about it being too easy try a worse car? If the limit is 450 use a 425?

Last edited by goh; 10-14-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #72
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

Oh MY Gosh this games brilliant

So for fun i decided to just gun at a rail and see the damage. Im in Spain and theres pit crew there just standing and when i do this they react like "what this guys doin"?"Brilliant...This game has great moments in it where youd least expect them

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »