Home
NHL 10 News Post

Roster update #7 is available for NHL 10, along with Tuner Set 1.03. Post your impressions here.

Quote:
"For this update transactions are up to date as of January 24, 2010 (NHL, AHL, Elitserien, SM-Liiga, NLA).

One new player has been added to the game: G Jarosloav Janus (Norfolk Admirals).

Along with that, ratings have been updated."

What's in Tuner Set 1.03?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA

"The major thrust of the changes is to get more goal-scoring variation and loosen up goal scoring a bit. There will be more variety in CPU goalie positioning as well as a bunch of other tweaks to how they position, how fast they can move and accelerate, rebound control, screen effects, reaction speeds, and more.

For online the duration of the post-whistle time has been reduced, and a few gameplay exploits have been reduced.

For offline play once you have the update it will be applied automatically if you still have the Tuning Set option set to Latest (which is the default). Otherwise you can set it to Latest or V1.03. If don't like the changes or prefer to finish your current Dynasties/Be A Pro with a previous tuning version you can also change it (under Gameplay Settings/General). V1.02 is what you'd be using right now if you have the previous update and are set to Latest.

For online play everyone uses the latest tuning update.

There are quite a few changes involved in this update so we'll be watching closely to see how things play out and make any adjustments that are necessary.

More detailed notes on the changes should be posted on the NHL forums/blogs tomorrow. I'll make sure they end up here too."

Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 SinisterAlex @ 01/27/10 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradigor
Not happy with the new set. Just played a game and conceded 5 goals which included:

4 wraparounds. Checking wasn't having an effect at all. He was able to do little movement of the right stick and keep the puck to get to the redline behind the goal and a wrap around.
If you're using custom sliders tuned to 1.02 then you're going to have to tweak them. I'm using Lordofthething's sliders and the gameplay is messed up quite a bit xD

# 22 SinisterAlex @ 01/27/10 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster B
Anyone play any OTP. More scoring?
I played a couple. The goalies seem alot better now, I scored a nice goal from the circle far side, could've been a screen though there were two guys infront of me. As Qb posted about Redshirt's post, the position is better now too. I noticed that in some of the first shots we took, rebounds are also a bit better. The puck doesn't "deflect" right off the pad as if it was a rubber band or something.

The pace seems a bit different too, but maybe thats just me.

# 23 mikeymayhem @ 01/27/10 04:57 PM
hey ws_gb23 what sliders are you playing with cause I played LOTT and it was a gong show. I made some up and it seems better but not exactly on the money

# 24 ktd1976 @ 01/27/10 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymayhem
not quite i just got 50 shots and only had 5 goals ... I lost that game to... the cpu pp is almost unstoppable and its not my d i play great defence usually and have a awseome defence corps in my be a gm...

line 1
bouwmeester keith
phaneuf giordano
sarich franson
I'm not seeing the unstoppable CPU power play...though it was just one game since the new tuner set, I killed off 8 of 9 PP's against Phoenix in my BAGM mode. I also noticed more shots from the slot that went in. I won the game 5-2...Phoenix got 2 early goals on me, then Jimmy Howard settled down

# 25 Fiddy @ 01/27/10 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLegend
If you're using custom sliders tuned to 1.02 then you're going to have to tweak them. I'm using Lordofthething's sliders and the gameplay is messed up quite a bit xD
i had my sliders tuned to the 1.02 update, but i use latest in the settings. i didn't have to tweak anything. my settings actually IMO play better stat wise with the new 1.03. bc of the more scoring.. 6-7 min periods!!

# 26 Qb @ 01/27/10 07:30 PM
About to play some offline, then my EASHL team and I will give 'er a go in a few hours. Will let you know what I think. A question -- when you guys say it feels more "open", do you mean more open as in "organic" or more open as in "run & gun". I'm hoping you mean the former...

# 27 phillyfan23 @ 01/27/10 07:41 PM
anyone have an idea on how to increase human penalties naturally?

cpu teammates rarely take any....

problem is on all star. on SS it's no problem.

thanks.

p.s goalies are mnuch better with this tuner set.....

# 28 kerosene31 @ 01/27/10 07:56 PM
Is the faceoff glitch shot fixed??

# 29 Redshirt_EA @ 01/27/10 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
Is the faceoff glitch shot fixed??
Not sure what shot you mean, can you describe it? Please use PM if it is something exploitable online.

# 30 Redshirt_EA @ 01/27/10 08:23 PM
By the way, another new exploit goal has surfaced already (not the face-off one that was just mentioned) so I'm expecting we'll be making another update when we've figured out a good way to deal with it.

# 31 Assassin @ 01/27/10 08:26 PM
What exactley is a tuner set? I never really got to mess around with NHL 10 that much. And I'm planning on picking it up soon and I have no idea what a tuner set is.

# 32 Redshirt_EA @ 01/27/10 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin
What exactley is a tuner set? I never really got to mess around with NHL 10 that much. And I'm planning on picking it up soon and I have no idea what a tuner set is.
If you've ever played around with Gameplay Settings it is a bit like changing those, except instead of a few dozen things that can be tweaked there are a couple of thousand.

In previous versions of NHL all these values are tuned only before the game ships and could only be updated with a full title update (patch). With NHL10 we can update the tuning values with an update on the servers. A tuning update is much more limited that a patch, but has the benefit that it can be turned around fairly quickly (testing is the main time involved) compared to a title update.

The main reason we want to update the tuning is to deal with online exploits. It is impossible to anticipate or test for all possible problems (the game probably gets 100 times* more play within a day of release than during all of development and testing) so having the flexibility to deal with things after the fact can help a lot.

So online is the main impetus behind wanting tuning updates, but it also gives us the changes to address offline play to some degree.

*pulled that number out of the air, don't quote me on it.

# 33 kerosene31 @ 01/27/10 08:44 PM
Quote:
Not sure what shot you mean, can you describe it? Please use PM if it is something exploitable online.
PM sent. If someone out there knows more about it (like exactly how to exploit it), please send it to Redshirt.

# 34 Dino @ 01/27/10 08:50 PM
Quote:
By the way, another new exploit goal has surfaced already (not the face-off one that was just mentioned) so I'm expecting we'll be making another update when we've figured out a good way to deal with it.
Wow, that was fast. That is a shame. sad face.

# 35 Redshirt_EA @ 01/27/10 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino
Wow, that was fast. That is a shame. sad face.
With as many changes as were made it isn't entirely unexpected that there would be some hiccups with it. Looks like it might not be too difficult to fix this specific problem though.

# 36 LuGer33 @ 01/27/10 09:16 PM
Quote:
With as many changes as were made it isn't entirely unexpected that there would be some hiccups with it. Looks like it might not be too difficult to fix this specific problem though.
Sounds good.

# 37 savoie2006 @ 01/27/10 10:03 PM
I'm not suprised a new exploit has surfaced. Too many people have too much time to find these exploits. EA might as well hire an entirely different team to fix these because they will spend all year every year trying to "fix" them. If the game developers keep trying to, they may never get their next game finished. Either that or find a way to punish them so it doesn't continually happen.

# 38 matt2053 @ 01/27/10 10:13 PM
Quote:
If you've ever played around with Gameplay Settings it is a bit like changing those, except instead of a few dozen things that can be tweaked there are a couple of thousand.

In previous versions of NHL all these values are tuned only before the game ships and could only be updated with a full title update (patch). With NHL10 we can update the tuning values with an update on the servers. A tuning update is much more limited that a patch, but has the benefit that it can be turned around fairly quickly (testing is the main time involved) compared to a title update.

The main reason we want to update the tuning is to deal with online exploits. It is impossible to anticipate or test for all possible problems (the game probably gets 100 times* more play within a day of release than during all of development and testing) so having the flexibility to deal with things after the fact can help a lot.

So online is the main impetus behind wanting tuning updates, but it also gives us the changes to address offline play to some degree.

*pulled that number out of the air, don't quote me on it.
Many people here have been claiming they experienced significant gameplay changes after the previous roster update. Would you mind clarifying whether or not a roster update could bring very noticeable gameplay improvements for those who download it, whether or not they even use the rosters?

EDIT: Ps I just played three games with the tuner v1.03 and it seems fantastic!

# 39 Juiceman612 @ 01/27/10 11:17 PM
Random thoughts about 1.03: Interesting that I'm not really seeing much change offline. I've put in 5 games so can't form too much of an opinion yet. I'll have to keep playing and see if anything changes. I noticed that the CPU stick lift is pretty harsh on all-star hardcore. I also tried it on some customer sliders I use (lord of the rings sliders tweaked a little) and cpu stick lift still seemed pretty bad (at two clicks towards the right).

I did notice Phaneuf blasted one clean by Luongo which probably wouldn't have happened before. Outside of that goal the other goals I scored were mostly deflections. I lost two games 2-0, won one 2-0 and another 3-0. I'm not sure why I'm not sure why I'm not seeing more goals. I think I scored more before 1.03.

The CPU goals were all believable though. Nothing weak, which was satisfying to see.

1.03 with all-star and default setting there is too much tick-tack CPU passing as well. Move default setting to hardcore and it seems to be a lot better.

Verdict is still out on 1.03 for offline for me. Haven't played enough games but if anything there is better CPU time of possession. That is a definite change I see. CPU just seems harder. Your passes have to be very quick in the offensive zone or you'll give it up.

Played a few more games. Experimented with sliders a bit. I honestly don't see anything different with goalies offline. If anything, I'm having a harder time scoring goals and seeing less variety of goals (yet more clean shots from the point going in). I don't know...I was ok with how things were going with my sliders on 1.01. Might stick with that after a few more experiements with 1.03. Call me crazy, but I can hardly tell the difference from pro, all-star, and superstar. They all seem similar except on superstar the CPU is way too fast even with the accel and game speed tuned down.

# 40 Redshirt_EA @ 01/28/10 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2053
Many people here have been claiming they experienced significant gameplay changes after the previous roster update. Would you mind clarifying whether or not a roster update could bring very noticeable gameplay improvements for those who download it, whether or not they even use the rosters?

EDIT: Ps I just played three games with the tuner v1.03 and it seems fantastic!
No, the roster update can't really make that big a difference. It only changes player attributes and they generally wouldn't change drastically.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.