Home
NHL 10 News Post

Roster update #7 is available for NHL 10, along with Tuner Set 1.03. Post your impressions here.

Quote:
"For this update transactions are up to date as of January 24, 2010 (NHL, AHL, Elitserien, SM-Liiga, NLA).

One new player has been added to the game: G Jarosloav Janus (Norfolk Admirals).

Along with that, ratings have been updated."

What's in Tuner Set 1.03?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA

"The major thrust of the changes is to get more goal-scoring variation and loosen up goal scoring a bit. There will be more variety in CPU goalie positioning as well as a bunch of other tweaks to how they position, how fast they can move and accelerate, rebound control, screen effects, reaction speeds, and more.

For online the duration of the post-whistle time has been reduced, and a few gameplay exploits have been reduced.

For offline play once you have the update it will be applied automatically if you still have the Tuning Set option set to Latest (which is the default). Otherwise you can set it to Latest or V1.03. If don't like the changes or prefer to finish your current Dynasties/Be A Pro with a previous tuning version you can also change it (under Gameplay Settings/General). V1.02 is what you'd be using right now if you have the previous update and are set to Latest.

For online play everyone uses the latest tuning update.

There are quite a few changes involved in this update so we'll be watching closely to see how things play out and make any adjustments that are necessary.

More detailed notes on the changes should be posted on the NHL forums/blogs tomorrow. I'll make sure they end up here too."

Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 b3organ @ 01/28/10 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceman612
Verdict is still out on 1.03 for offline for me. Haven't played enough games but if anything there is better CPU time of possession. That is a definite change I see. CPU just seems harder. Your passes have to be very quick in the offensive zone or you'll give it up.
My thoughts also. Passes have to be more precise and you have to make them quicker. Winger-dman-passing by cpu still present at allstar but maybe it has lessen. And 1st line cpu-controlled dudes try to make new kind of passes to free team mate and even try to shoot from other places than from the point.

So far so good. Good job J.& Co.!

# 42 Vikes1 @ 01/28/10 03:20 AM
I've played four off-line games now with 1.03. [All-Star hardcore]

Overall I'm pleased with this new tuner. What I seem to be seeing is...

1. The cpu seems to turn the puck over a bit more now. Which imo is very welcome. Some of the "perfection" with the cpu play, seems toned down...at least some.

2. The goalies didn't seem to be quite as robotic. I scored a few goals...but still pretty tough for me. Better that though, than the opposite.

# 43 Juiceman @ 01/28/10 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1

1. The cpu seems to turn the puck over a bit more now. Which imo is very welcome. Some of the "perfection" with the cpu play, seems toned down...at least some.

2. The goalies didn't seem to be quite as robotic. I scored a few goals...but still pretty tough for me. Better that though, than the opposite.
These two points are about what I've seen too. It's still plenty hard to score offline. CPU powerplay seemed pumped up too. One game my CPU defenders kept getting penalties and then the CPU team went 4/4 on the PP that game. I honestly was out of place on 1 goal. The other 3 it just wasn't happening. I hope that was an anomaly.

I've tried a bunch of settings all-star default, all-star hardcore, pro hardcore, and superstar hardcore. I always max the attribute effects and change nothing else. And what I see overall is really not much difference across all levels of play. Mentioned it before, but I'll experiment a few more games (logged 10 so far) and then go back to 1.01 with custom sliders as I was getting good competitive games with that and a huge variety of goals - more so than what I'm seeing on 1.03 so far.

# 44 Choneen @ 01/28/10 10:55 AM
Quote:
(the game probably gets 100 times* more play within a day of release than during all of development and testing)
I was thinking of this the other day. You should release the NHL11 demo with a team practice mode (because an OTP practice mode WILL be released, right?!? =p ). I'm sure a ton of glitches would be found before the game is released.

# 45 m-dogg @ 01/28/10 11:08 AM
I played a bunch of EASHL last night, and while I appreciated the new goalies being more human and less robotic...it seems glitching is now easier than before. Instead of having to do the dangle move before they bring it back behind them for the bomerang shot - teams were just bringing it back behind them and firing for goals over and over. this move just tricks the goalie too much...and now its much easier and faster to get off (making it harder to defend..ughgh). hopefully is was just luck and not glitching, but sure seems like a very high percentage shot...and we all know any high% shot found will be performed over and over and over and..

I agree with the poster that said EA should just take this shot/dangle animation out of the game - when do you see NHL players take a wrist shot from behind them? Either that or make it so this doesnt fool the goalie at all...I hate that I get penalized for taking normal wristers all of the time. very frustrating..

also, wraparounds are going in at an alarming clip since the goalies are slower to react now. this has become a go to move for cheesers everywhere. definitely easier than pre-tuner.

is the faceoff glitch a one-timer off of the faceoff? I had two of those scored last night on us where I was like whaaaaat? deep deep one timers, but I chalked it up to the new goalies. but maybe they just do not get off their spot quick enough after a faceoff? I noticed they definitely do not get over very fast at all on rebounds and loose pucks anymore.

all in all, I like it, although I dont like what seems to be a faster and more agile brand of hockey. Agility is good, but really wish they toned down both the speed and acceleration to represent a more realistic hockey online...

# 46 BIG CAROLINA @ 01/28/10 12:56 PM
Quote:
No, the roster update can't really make that big a difference. It only changes player attributes and they generally wouldn't change drastically.
Thanks for clearing that up.

# 47 Fiddy @ 01/28/10 01:17 PM
Quote:
No, the roster update can't really make that big a difference. It only changes player attributes and they generally wouldn't change drastically.
with that said, can you then explain why the past few years the gameplay changed with each roster update? i do believe it was Litty or a blog that stated it did.

or am im just 110% wrong and thinking of something else..

# 48 sanders @ 01/28/10 01:51 PM
I played a couple of games last night and I like that when you change direction 180 degress theres more of a penalty - previously guys could turn up ice or back way too quickly so now positioning is more important.

# 49 Fiddy @ 01/28/10 02:11 PM
so, a new one a day later was released? 1.04? or is that a typo?

http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthec...-v104-released

Quote:
Along with yesterday’s Roster & Ratings Update that went out early yesterday morning, the team also released Tuner Set V1.04 making some adjustments to gameplay. Please note that there are some parts of the game that can be tweaked in a tuner update and some that can only be changed in a title update. We are planning to have a CoverItLive event in the near future with the producers to discuss this and other questions the community may have on NHL 10.

Here are the details from Lead SE Jason Rupert:

The major objective of the tuning update is to get more goal-scoring variation and loosen up goal scoring. There is now more variety in CPU goalie positioning as well as a bunch of other tweaks to how goalies position, how fast they can move and accelerate, rebound control, screen effects, reaction speeds, and more.

For online the duration of the post-whistle time has been reduced, and a few gameplay exploits have been reduced.

Beyond getting more varied goal scoring we wanted to address a number of other issues that have been identified by the community and that we are able to improve through a tuning update. Because a significant number of changes were made in this update we will be paying close attention to how things play out in the coming weeks and responding with additional fine tuning as necessary.

All online games use the new tuning set. After downloading the update offline games can use the new tuning update by switching the “Tuner Set Version” under Gameplay Settings/General to either Latest (which is the default) or V1.03. You can also switch to earlier versions if you prefer to keep things the same as they have been.

Highlights of the update include:
-Increased variation in goalie positioning
-Rebounds directed further to the side of the net
-Small reduction in goalie reaction times, top speed and acceleration
-Increase in screen effect on goalies (online only)
-Reduced post-whistle time (online only)
-Decreased effectiveness of the pass block (LB/L1) at taking the puck away
-Increased frequency of deflections (EASHL/OTP only)
-Prevent CPU defenders from being easily lured into hooking penalties in EASHL/OTP games
-Improved ability to intercept weak passes
-For EASHL/OTP, the range of the some of the attribute effects has been increased

# 50 krildog @ 01/28/10 02:14 PM
He said they had already found a glitch that they were working on...it's not impossible if that was the only additonal thing fixed.

# 51 Fiddy @ 01/28/10 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krildog
He said they had already found a glitch that they were working on...it's not impossible if that was the only additonal thing fixed.
it was a typo, it is now fixed on the blog.

# 52 Redshirt_EA @ 01/28/10 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
so, a new one a day later was released? 1.04? or is that a typo?

http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthec...-v104-released
Just a typo. Still working on a minor update but it isn't done yet.

# 53 Qb @ 01/28/10 02:30 PM
Only got one offline game in before playing 4 or 5 EASHL games. Offline, I played as the Rangers against the Penguins to see how I'd do with a top-notch goalie against a talented team. I used the exact sliders I've been using for a while now -- no changes to my Screen/Reaction settings of 6/0 for both HUM & CPU -- on All-Star/Hardcore w/ manual passing.

I lost 5-3! Now I'm joking a bit with the exclamation point, but I really can't remember the last time I gave up that many goals. If I had to guess, I'd say in the past 10 offline games I played, I probably held the AI to 2 goals or less in at least 7 or 8 of them. The AI's goals as best I can recall:

1. Dupuis slapper from right around the faceoff dot to Lundqvist's stick side. I went for a poorly-timed pokecheck in the high slot, he cut outside and wired one shortside topshelf. I smiled.

2. Crosby five-hole wrister on the PP. Shot from the point deflected & bounced around in front, before Sid gathered it and beat Lundqvist cleanly with a wrister.

3/4. Slappers from farther out through traffic/screens.

5. Pretty pass from the halfboards across the front of goal to a pretty well-covered Dupuis who one-timed it home the edge of the crease. This was simply a perfect pass -- I was covering Dupuis manually, giving him a few crosschecks & trying to block the passing lane. The puck went between me & the goalie and Dupuis was free just long enough to score. Wish I saved the replay...

My goals:

1. Terrible turnover on a missed pass between Pittsburgh D-men that hit the side of the net. Callahan swooped in on the forecheck after a dump-in and gathered the loose puck just to the left of Fleury. He went for a pokecheck and I stepped around it, roofing a backhander far side he had no chance of stopping.

2. Slapper from the point with a screen on the PP by Roszival.

3. Drury cross-crease after some good cycling pulled the D out of position. With manual passing, I feel no shame in a cross-crease goal...

Keep in mind I played with screen effect maxed and reaction at zero for both teams and it was only one game. If this tuner means I have to raise reaction that's a good thing. I'd much rather have to go back & tweak my sliders than still feel the goalies stop too many shots they shouldn't.

Funny thing happened in trying to evaluate the goalies in OTP -- we played human goalies in all but one game. The game against the CPU goalie was 6v5 and went to OT at 0-0 (we won). Can't really attribute that to the goalie, as neither team reached double digits in shots in a game that would've made Jacques Lemaire fall asleep.

A few other things we noticed:

* It appears deflections are more prevalent now. It wasn't mentioned by Redshirt (didn't see blog yet), but we saw a lot more successful attempts and several goals.

* A few people felt checking might be easier and I did notice my 90 balance PWF went down hard more than usual. I didn't have much luck hitting people, but for some reason I've never been a good hitter in OTP.

* We saw a few goals that seemed to indicate the reaction tuning may affect human goalies as well. We scored on a few shots when the goalie wasn't playing his angle all that well and no auto-save animation bailed him out. It would make sense if true, but maybe we just ran into a few bad goalies...

# 54 Qb @ 01/28/10 02:35 PM
Fiddy posted while I was rambling, so now I see we weren't imagining the deflection increase. But if I may ask, why are the increases in deflections and screen effect online-only? I think the offline game would benefit from this as well...

# 55 omelete @ 01/28/10 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
* A few people felt checking might be easier and I did notice my 90 balance PWF went down hard more than usual. I didn't have much luck hitting people, but for some reason I've never been a good hitter in OTP.
Interesting. I found the exact opposite last night. My defensive D-man ( with 90+ checking, balance, aggressiveness ) just bounced off of everybody last night. More so than pre-1.03.

Hopefully it was just an aberration. I've felt that the number of "big" hits in NHL 10 has perhaps been a bit low ( but much better than NHL 09 ) but I was hoping this tuner would provide more middle ground ( checks that don't destroy your opponent, but separate them from the puck ). So far it looks like checking has been nerfed even more.

# 56 Qb @ 01/28/10 02:50 PM
I was not in the group that felt checking was easier, it was a teammate or two. And now that I see the list from the blog, it wasn't mentioned. Maybe the attribute range changes played a part in why they felt it was...

# 57 MattyAction @ 01/28/10 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Fiddy posted while I was rambling, so now I see we weren't imagining the deflection increase. But if I may ask, why are the increases in deflections and screen effect online-only? I think the offline game would benefit from this as well...
Thats exactly the first thing that I thought. Why not do it for both. I love offline play and would love to see these changes made for both modes. Strange really...

# 58 Vikes1 @ 01/28/10 03:14 PM
I played a couple of more games with 1.03 in my BEAGM. [All-Star hardcore 9 minute periods.]

Playing as the Wild...I lost the first game vs the Pens 2-1 in a SO. The second game, I lost 1-0 to the Canucks.

I've learned not to judge things with the NHL game by way of just a few games. Thankfully, there are just too many variables with it, to do that. I mean one game theres a total of 50 SOG...the next it's nearly 80. It's awesome imo, that the game somehow varies around so wildly like that. I'm however getting the sense, that I may have to still have the cpu's reaction speed set down a ways. I seemed to be seeing a few more scoring chances with 1.03. It to me anyway, seems quite subtle...which is good. But I have the very early feeling I may not be good enough to take advantage of them.

Again...overall I'm pleased with the minor changes with 1.03. And I'm in a very good place with my setup, with the exception of my continuing troubles scoring. The game seems unwilling to bend, to accommodate a hack like me, with no skills. I love that! I'm enjoying the heck outta trying to get better.

# 59 BleacherCreature @ 01/28/10 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
And I'm in a very good place with my setup, with the exception of my continuing troubles scoring.
Being a Rangers fan I know all about scoring troubles

I noticed the CPU powerplay is very lethal with the latest tuner set. In back to back games the CPU powerplay was 4-6 and 3-4 against me. Ouch.

# 60 Juiceman @ 01/28/10 04:45 PM
Agree with Vikes1 and BleacherCreature on your comments. CPU powerplay is lethal and scoring is tough on 1.03. I played superstar hardcore, manual passing and won 2-1 the first game in OT, lost the 2nd game 4-0. The 4-0 game was when the CPU went buck wild on the powerplay.

I honestly don't think the goalies have loosened up offline. They seem to have a little more trouble covering the puck or dishing it aside, other than that they're still making amazing saves. This is with goalie reaction 5/2 (Hum/CPU).

Is anyone else noticing that from pro to superstar there really isn't much difference in difficulty (when on 1.03)?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.