Home
MLB The Show 17 News Post

GameSpot has posted a new MLB The Show 17 video, walking through the new features in the game. It includes some regular gameplay, Retro Mode gameplay and a walkthrough of the player creation/edit process.

Check it out and post your thoughts.

Game: MLB The Show 17Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4Votes for game: 36 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 tnixen @ 02/15/17 11:44 AM
Also I don't see any signs of MLB Network in any of the videos so far.

Perhaps they are just hiding it from us?

Also I wonder if they still have more then 1 scorebug like they did in 16?

# 42 skrody @ 02/15/17 11:47 AM
guys, i think i know what UNIFORM SETS are..

in the video, you can see the 10 slots but underneath it you see that if you press square you can change individual items..

i think the uniform sets, are just the full version of the uniform, already there for you.

# 43 The Kid 24 @ 02/15/17 11:53 AM
Too bad they didnt update Kluber's delivery.

Also - Has anyone seen the IGN video Ramone talked about yesterday? I cant find anything.

# 44 adh5199 @ 02/15/17 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
I've been waiting on this stat line all my "The Show" life.

Showing this stat line, could this mean "Inside Edge" is also in other areas of the game? Exhibition/franchise?

I just feel like they are going to surprise us with an MLB network score bug. They just look too similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 45 JayD @ 02/15/17 12:01 PM
Russell, I noticed that when you generated the players that all wear generic cleats. It was the same way last year. I know we can go in and edit them ourselves but it becomes a project when you need to do the whole league.

# 46 joshtree14 @ 02/15/17 12:30 PM
I saw hit types in this one video I have never seen. The lighting looks like it's a step up and just the little nuances of the game are incredible. Is it me or does the path of the ball from pitcher perspective look more authentic. In any event great job!

# 47 knich @ 02/15/17 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid 24
Did Bryant have a Adidas arm sleeve on?

Really hoping they added Adidas batting gloves, fielding gloves and arm sleeves.
I saw Adidas fielding glove on one of CAPs. It is at 3:00. Player models are much improved along with animations. Batting stances look real good and Hayward throw from outfield at 15:25 looked great.

# 48 BlacknBlue @ 02/15/17 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
I did catch it (it was really quick). That is a bit disheartening for sure. It is the BP warmup minus the long sleeves (which is what they are in real life). Hopefully this will be changed before release otherwise we will be stuck with it.

EDIT: Like Ramone said this isn't the complete game, but I also noticed only 10 uniform slots still as well. Holding off judgement until the uniform sets stream next week.

In the video the Indians have
Home
Home Alt
Home '19
Home '76
BP Home
Road
Road Alt
Road '19
Road '76
BP Road
The 10 slots was one of the things that jumped out at me.

Very disappointing.

# 49 dalger21 @ 02/15/17 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky_17

I see new pitcher vs batter stats are now shown [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Operation Sports mobile app
I hope RttS gets this update as well. RttS generally doesn't get the same stat overlays as Franchise or Season Mode.

# 50 Impetuous65 @ 02/15/17 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adh5199

I just feel like they are going to surprise us with an MLB network score bug. They just look too similar.

So you think the OSD, is just a presentation package and not part of the "inside edge"? I was thinking Inside Edge, because the pitcher had only thrown about 5 pitches and the stat line was like 4 for 8 .500 2k versus.

# 51 SoxFan01605 @ 02/15/17 12:57 PM
Man...Cano's face. Right off the bat I was like "whoa!"

Lots of good stuff here. I love the CAP options and player graphics, obviously.

Ironically though, what stood out to me quite a bit graphically (and, admittedly, it might seem a little thing on it's own) is the cleats. It's not just the new brands (hurray NB!) but they all just look so much more like real cleats. There seems to be more texture depth and difference.

It's similar to the stitching on the hats now...everything just stands out as more defined as their own materials. I guess this is PBR now being better applied to players as well? Whatever the case, things are starting to look very good.

My only real question is how carried over CAPS from 16 will be impacted. Hopefully they aren't simply imported as is and can benefit from these changes without being completely altered. If not, I guess it'll be time for me to completely rework them, since the old models look especially dated now.

# 52 BlacknBlue @ 02/15/17 12:58 PM
On the curving hit down the line in the first inning, it looks great until it hits the ground. The ball should keep spinning on a hit like that and turn after it hits the ground on a path that sends it to the foul territory wall much faster.

And not that I probably will ever use retro mode, but having no replays in it is kind of lame, to me.

Also, they still have that catcher animation where they slide feet first to retrieve every passed ball and wild pitch. Was really hoping they would have changed that.

# 53 The Kid 24 @ 02/15/17 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBlue
The 10 slots was one of the things that jumped out at me.

Very disappointing.
Could be that Ramone didnt want to spoil that part yet, since this will be talked about in the stream on the 23rd.

# 54 adh5199 @ 02/15/17 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
So you think the OSD, is just a presentation package and not part of the "inside edge"? I was thinking Inside Edge, because the pitcher had only thrown about 5 pitches and the stat line was like 4 for 8 .500 2k versus.

I think the entire broadcast presentation will be like watching a game on MLB network. Stat lines included. Is this what you are asking?

# 55 Factzzz @ 02/15/17 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adh5199
I think the entire broadcast presentation will be like watching a game on MLB network. Stat lines included. Is this what you are asking?

That just made me think about how we're getting all this amazing news on graphics and gameplay, it made me forget about the new presentation package and two new commentary guys.

This year is looking kinda amazing for the Show.

# 56 ShowTyme15 @ 02/15/17 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Man...Cano's face. Right off the bat I was like "whoa!"

Lots of good stuff here. I love the CAP options and player graphics, obviously.

Ironically though, what stood out to me quite a bit graphically (and, admittedly, it might seem a little thing on it's own) is the cleats. It's not just the new brands (hurray NB!) but they all just look so much more like real cleats. There seems to be more texture depth and difference.

It's similar to the stitching on the hats now...everything just stands out as more defined as their own materials. I guess this is PBR now being better applied to players as well? Whatever the case, things are starting to look very good.

My only real question is how carried over CAPS from 16 will be impacted. Hopefully they aren't simply imported as is and can benefit from these changes without being completely altered. If not, I guess it'll be time for me to completely rework them, since the old models look especially dated now.
I'm just guessing here (kind of wish ramone or someone could give us an answer), but Ramone did say in the interview they removed those 17 heads we have now and replaced them with the new 49. Judging by that everything will have to be redone from scratch. I hope I'm wrong here, but as of now that's what it looks like.

# 57 ShowTyme15 @ 02/15/17 01:59 PM
Players obviously have more facial expressions now. When they show Robinson Cano's face in the editor you can see all the facial movements he's making.

# 58 catswithbats @ 02/15/17 02:01 PM
I thought I might sit out MLB 17 because I wasn't sure I could justify the money... No way in heck I'm sitting out now. I'll scrape the funds together.

# 59 LastActionHero @ 02/15/17 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrody
guys, i think i know what UNIFORM SETS are..

in the video, you can see the 10 slots but underneath it you see that if you press square you can change individual items..

i think the uniform sets, are just the full version of the uniform, already there for you.

I would actually like that. Now you have to change all three (cap, jersey, pants) if you want the (for example) matching throwback home uniform set.

# 60 ShowTyme15 @ 02/15/17 02:08 PM
I see they added a "catcher style" in the personality section.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.