Home
MLB The Show 17 News Post

GameSpot has posted a new MLB The Show 17 video, walking through the new features in the game. It includes some regular gameplay, Retro Mode gameplay and a walkthrough of the player creation/edit process.

Check it out and post your thoughts.

Game: MLB The Show 17Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4Votes for game: 36 - View All
Member Comments
# 121 catswithbats @ 02/15/17 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmc564
Just a retro mode thing.
Darn. That's something I've been hoping for for a while. Thanks for the answer.

# 122 Culture Rot @ 02/15/17 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Oh boy. Player model guys, WATCH THIS VIDEO. Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but still, watch.

Shoulder and collarbone sliders for CAP. Spine length. Glutes, etc.

MLB players are hand-tuned (that means uneditable, but they should still look a lot more like the real life counterparts)

I'm only like 3 minutes into the video but that stood out right away.
Uneditable??

# 123 NewNapkin @ 02/15/17 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlatinoheatx
Uneditable??
You can't change the body sliders on real MLB players, but they have already been tuned by the devs. Why would it matter?

# 124 ShowTyme15 @ 02/15/17 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlatinoheatx
Uneditable??
SCEA players can't get body edits. Only CAPS are editable.

# 125 Circle the Wagons @ 02/15/17 07:52 PM
I think my CAP has had the same face since 2006 so this will be great. I love how much better draft picks and minor leaguers will look now!

# 126 Russell_SCEA @ 02/15/17 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperman240
I'll take it upon myself to share some. I'll compare from the latest footage from the Gamespot interview you were on.

The only time the grass comes close to being the correct color in The Show is when there is an overcast in real life. Apart from that the grass seems to be a shade too bright or faded.

(closest image I could find to The Show but still slightly off)
Are the images from the same time of day, cloud cover, and month? Because those factors effect color and that's the very first thing an art lead is going to ask. They have to be from the same time of day, month, cloud cover, and sun position to get an accurate view of what you guys are trying to illustrate.

# 127 SilverBullet1929 @ 02/15/17 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
Yes I caught it (go back to like page 3 I replied to drans' post). Like I said in my previous post I hope they add the actual spring training jerseys.

I was pointing out that if they aren't put in most teams ST jerseys are alternates in real life (minus the ST patches obviously) and can be used as a substitute, but some teams like the Dbacks would be SOL if the uniforms are still the same in 17. That's what I was trying to say. I wasn't saying you were wrong so if you though that then I apologize.
Ah ok. Cool.

# 128 pay26 @ 02/15/17 08:40 PM
Batting practice Jerseys are a disappointment. Since last year are the new models of spring training jerseys in MLB

# 129 Bobhead @ 02/15/17 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I'm seeing an "Options Explorer" selection on the main menu under mini-modes. Wonder what that could be?
I dont know but it sounds like what I need when I am single and walk into a bar

# 130 Culture Rot @ 02/15/17 08:55 PM
On one hand I'm excited about many of the additions we've asked for, but on the other I'm confounded that even after all the trouble of implementing body sliders, it will still be impossible to create a fat player in the mold of Prince Fielder, or David Wells, or whomever. The sliders even when maxed out seem to barely make a difference.

# 131 jada855 @ 02/15/17 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Are the images from the same time of day, cloud cover, and month? Because those factors effect color and that's the very first thing an art lead is going to ask. They have to be from the same time of day, month, cloud cover, and sun position to get an accurate view of what you guys are trying to illustrate.
@Russell_SCEA

Can you elaborate on any updates to player lock for MLB 17 or if it remains unchanged from MLB 2016?

Thanks.

# 132 adh5199 @ 02/15/17 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MythicalGnome
I agree, but to me it is still the color of your greens that do not match reality. This is definitely not just a 'hey let me pull this google photo out and compare it randomly' type of thing. But there are many great google shots that compare to every month or lighting condition The Show can dish out.

I have high-res shots of Target Field in a variety of day and night shots. When there is no sun, and the weather is about as close as you can get it in The Show on an overcast day around any month of the year, there is still very little reality has in common with the game.

TF has dark green grass when it is overcast, which comes off as pale green in the game. This is a google photo, hehe, of what it looks like. I'm not gonna post my 15mp photos here. This is about what my photos resemble on a day without much sun. The grass is very green just not lit up neon green like at night or a different lighted shade in the full sun.

I know you guys are looking into it, and that's great please keep doing so. The only thing I would say is have your guys go to each stadium and get high-res shots of the grass in a variety of conditions. I don't know any other way to convince you guys, because it seems like you still may think there is nothing that can be done to make it look better.

When you insinuate that he need the exact field conditions, it says that you may think for whatever reason his shot is messed up compared to The Show and no comparison can be made. This is not really the truth. Grass is grass. With the sunlight it has a variety of colors, but none of them are ever as pale and whitish as what we see in game.

Yes, The Show gets marginally greener when the sun is out, but in no way shape or form does it mimic or look like lush, green grass on a day out to your favorite stadium IMO.

It's a topic that is up for debate in some ways. I look forward to how the series progresses. I am sure with more tech and being allowed in more stadiums, we hope, your guys can make the right adjustments.

As I said, anything at this point is an improvement from the fields we have. For the future I can only suggest an open forum for people to submit their high-res photos to you guys from nice cameras and gear. Or you can keep doing your contracts with teams and go to the stadiums of your choice a couple times a year with a nice camera. Only then can you really compare what you want at the level of detail you find acceptable.

But just brushing aside the fact that the fields are in a huge need of a recoloring is not exactly what anyone wants to hear. Not me anyway. But we all know how mad at me you people get. Anyway, good luck on the game I am sure it will sell well this year.

Fantastic post. Constructive and nicely written

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 133 kubankaos @ 02/15/17 09:34 PM
Looking good, but i did ff through the beginning. Was looking for just gameplay stuff.

One thing I was reminded of, is I hate when you are batting the ball is so bright white. I wish you could turn that off and just have the ball look normal.

# 134 mlblover15 @ 02/15/17 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky_17

I see new pitcher vs batter stats are now shown [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Operation Sports mobile app

well it is about time lol.. i have been putting this on my wish list of features for like... umm ever... im just glad to see it... still several of these to go... but this is a start...

# 135 Speedy @ 02/15/17 09:45 PM
From 17 to 49 head templates...more importantly, ethnic based too!

Once they split a pitcher's windup motion from the stretch motion and allow the user to mix/match...edit player will be perfect.

Great job, SCEA, on the faces and player models; it's amazing how different the MLB players look YOY...I was giggling at Cano's nostrils flaring!

Great explanation, Ramone on the CAP and modes (missed you on last week's stream!)...I enjoyed this video thoroughly.

# 136 Russell_SCEA @ 02/15/17 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubankaos
Looking good, but i did ff through the beginning. Was looking for just gameplay stuff.

One thing I was reminded of, is I hate when you are batting the ball is so bright white. I wish you could turn that off and just have the ball look normal.
We tried that during pre-production you can't see the ball.

# 137 tessl @ 02/15/17 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
I noticed that the Cubs batter box lines were not degrading. I hope this has been fixed this year.
I actually like the show colors better because the photos seem too bright and it might be difficult to pick up the ball. Cudos to you though for doing the work of posting a comparison.

# 138 ninertravel @ 02/15/17 09:49 PM
It looks like the OSFM guys are gonna have to start from scratch this year to create all those new player features.

# 139 kubankaos @ 02/15/17 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
We tried that during pre-production you can't see the ball.
Sounds good and thanks for the reply.

Although I did use this mod quite a bit when playing MVP and it looked pretty good, but that was on a pc and probably the higher resolution helped.

http://www.mvpmods.com/forums/topic/...comment=556831

# 140 StupidCujo @ 02/15/17 10:32 PM
So hyped for the new hairstyles and beards. More variety, so I'm looking forward to MUCH more accurate rosters

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.