Home
Feature Article
Hip Checks Hurting NHL 12's Realism

I'm only a few days into NHL 12, and already the game's much-touted "Full Contact Physics Engine" is revealing itself to be glitchy, annoying and completely unrealistic. 

The right-stick body checking isn't at blame. It's the retuned "instagib" hip check R3 button, which one-hit kills anyone who happens to graze the polyester on your player's jersey while he's -- or this year, she's -- treating opponents to a full moon.

I use the first-person-shooter term, "instagib," because players in NHL 12 act like they've been shot with a Flak Cannon at the slightest nudge from a hip check, dropping to the ice in a heap with their helmet flying off in one direction and their stick getting tossed in another.

Remember NHL 12's pre-release hype video where EA Canada told hockey fans, "Size does matter"? Sorry, EA, but size doesn't matter until NHL 12's hip check is fixed. Because whether your player is 5'7", 120 pounds or 6'9", 275 pounds, he falls like a giant redwood tree by simply brushing against hip checks. Alternatively, he can spend the entire game crouched down with his keister in the air scoring ridiculous one-hit KOs.

Even if your player is skating far away from the play and nowhere near the puck, he can be taken out with a hip check and interference won't be called. There almost seems to be a mistake in the game's penalty logic where normal body checks are being called as interference, but hip checks are completely ignored by the refs. God have mercy on all those poor centers, as the other team’s wingers can skate in and hip check the centerman off the faceoff every time without penalty.

Maybe if NHL 12 had four officials on the ice instead of one, the game would have gotten these calls correct. You know, like NHL 2K10 had way back in 2009 –- when the New Jersey Devils were still winning games and staying out of bankruptcy.

But enough talk, roll the footage:

Video Link
Is this a NHL game or Tony Hawk's Pro Skater? Looks to me like a boardslide grind into a backside ollie.

Video Link
Why bother with the new jostling system in front of the net when you can simply hunch your rump and have opposing forwards wiping out quicker than comedian Tracy Morgan in the old NHL 2K commercials?

Video Link
Ultimate Warrior, is that you with your patented Gorilla Press Slam?

Video Link
Fire in the hole! Toronto's scheming their way out of the NHL cellar by hiding hand grenades under their players' uniforms and taking out unsuspecting opponents in the dirty areas of the ice. Four men enter; one Maple Leaf blows by, unscathed.

If a patch or tuner update can't neuter the hip check's effectiveness, there's a good chance sports gamers will be putting down NHL 12 in the coming weeks with releases like NBA 2K12FIFA 12 and Forza 4 only days away.

NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 gopher_guy @ 09/22/11 03:32 PM
I'm sure this is something that can be tuned or patched.

Doesn't bother me at all since I am like an 80/20 offline/online guy.

# 22 Eski33 @ 09/22/11 04:11 PM
It is a game. Get over it.

# 23 Ryn Vintage1986 @ 09/22/11 04:17 PM
Hi, Eski.

You're on a forum discussing games on a gaming website.

Just a head's up.

# 24 GlennN @ 09/22/11 04:28 PM
As some other folks have mentioned, being an offline only guy, no big deal for me. The continued lack of accessible career stats, on the other hand . . .

# 25 jyoung @ 09/22/11 04:32 PM
This may be the first time this generation where EA NHL's offline experience is better than the online play.

Trying to play online as a Tough Guy/Grinder/Power Forward/Defensive Defenseman is totally worthless right now since their physical presence is undercut by everybody on the ice being able to hip check, regardless of their height, size, strength or checking attributes.

# 26 jerk @ 09/22/11 04:41 PM
This glitch really ruins online play. I've played 10 games online and it's been abused every single game. Haven't touched online since. I'm crossing my fingers that they'll be able go fix this via patch. I, like others believed they nailed the other "hitting" aspects of the game, this hip check really just ruins the efforts made in other parts of the gameplay.
If we could have hip checks like last years game, I'd be 1 happy camper.

# 27 Taku @ 09/22/11 04:51 PM
Quick fix:

Remove it, remap the control to be slashing for example. Game would be so much better without the hipcheck...

# 28 bukktown @ 09/22/11 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceteris Paribus
Psst...

It was always better. Online has been filled with douchebags for a long time.
Dbags > AI

# 29 The Bad Man @ 09/22/11 05:50 PM
im never impressed with the demo. and i seen this coming and now its really happening. oh well. ea sports its in the game. smh.

# 30 bukktown @ 09/22/11 05:52 PM
Hip checks aren't a big issue in 1v1. In 5v5 I can see it being an issue because the offense can drop 4 defenders at once with it and not get called for a penalty.

# 31 nancek00 @ 09/22/11 06:37 PM
I wouldn't disagree if they found a way to tone it down a bit, but by no means is it ruining my experience with the game. It's really most useful only against guys with absolutely no skill with the sticks. If you know how to skate, you can neutralize hip checks and even take advantage of the guys that do them too much. I have over 65 games played on the EASHL and I think it's a good tool. It's completely ineffective and even a liability against good skilled players. Have you ever noticed how hard it is to hip check a CPU skater? Yeah it's not "realistic," but it's not ruining anything for me.

# 32 AmongTheFearless @ 09/22/11 06:38 PM
NHL 2K, this is your chance... you can make your NHL game as good as if not better than your NBA game... Don't quit, get it together, regroup, and make an awesome video game. By the way, WTF is going on in that screenshot?!?

# 33 Scarbro73 @ 09/22/11 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
To imply that this game has "physics" is pretty ballsy.
Exactly. There aren't "hitting physics" in this game at all! If you hit players from the front they sometimes fall FORWARDS! If you hit them from behind they sometimes fall backwards!

It's completely random people.

# 34 Bryzine21 @ 09/22/11 07:31 PM
Is this problem with hip checking on Xbox 360 too or just PS3?

# 35 jyoung @ 09/22/11 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryzine21
Is this problem with hip checking on Xbox 360 too or just PS3?
The hip check isn't a system-specific issue. It's just a gameplay design decision EA made with NHL 12.

Given how they've tried to patch out gameplay imbalances in NHL 11, NHL 10, etc., I'm sure this is getting looking at by their gameplay team internally.

# 36 actionhank @ 09/22/11 09:13 PM
As much as i hate to say it, but NHL 12 is the first in the series since 08 that i have considered returning. It's not that it's terrible, it's just that it feels like there are the same problems as last year for me.
For all the improving in the world, it still takes a tuner set to get the game to even play semi-realistically, and despite the improved goalies, i'm still being plagued by just downright awful goals sometimes.
It's not any massive game-breaking problems, but it just feels like the NHL11 i got sick of playing with better checks (sometimes, not always) and a better sim mode in Be a GM (But some more of the same old bugs from before...).
Maybe i will wait and see how i feel when i get some more sliders tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakeypastry @ 09/22/11 06:47 PM
In be a pro i hip checked a guy without the puck and got an interference.

Hip Check pissing you off? Don't use em in offline play, for online, suck it up buttercup
That's kind of ignorant to say. If we just tell everyone to fix game problems by "Getting over it" then EA will keep putting out the same bugged game with no reason to fix it.

# 37 puckhead73 @ 09/22/11 09:59 PM
It isn't ignorant to say suck it up. Yes we all know that it definitely needs adjusting, but we all also know full well that playing with people that you don't know online, in any game, be NHL, COD, any sort of online game, you are going to come across those that cheat, lie, abuse, and glitch what ever they can to win. More than anything i feel, it reflects more on the type of person the glitchers are than it does on EA.

I'm not an EA fanboy and am not trying to vindicate them from anything, because the hipcheck is broken. It is obvious that it needs revisiting. But sitting complaining about the people that abuse the system then say that it is all EA's fault, in my eyes is like the person that blames gun manufacturers for any murder commited with a gun. (Obviously not the same degree of severity, but it illustrates my point well.) Use it as intended, and more often then not, things work like they should. Misuse it, and it pisses people off.

Just my two cents.

# 38 afridgetofar @ 09/22/11 10:25 PM
link 3 happens in FIFA too. Some animations just don't have break points for collisions. At best they will just auto adjust back to the intended points. With link 3 it's like none of the animations are particularly prepared for death from above so the collision box just shoves dudes out of the wave. It looks extra stupid for the victim because there aren't any animations for falling 10 feet other than that default flailing.

# 39 stew514 @ 09/22/11 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead73
It isn't ignorant to say suck it up. Yes we all know that it definitely needs adjusting, but we all also know full well that playing with people that you don't know online, in any game, be NHL, COD, any sort of online game, you are going to come across those that cheat, lie, abuse, and glitch what ever they can to win. More than anything i feel, it reflects more on the type of person the glitchers are than it does on EA.

I'm not an EA fanboy and am not trying to vindicate them from anything, because the hipcheck is broken. It is obvious that it needs revisiting. But sitting complaining about the people that abuse the system then say that it is all EA's fault, in my eyes is like the person that blames gun manufacturers for any murder commited with a gun. (Obviously not the same degree of severity, but it illustrates my point well.) Use it as intended, and more often then not, things work like they should. Misuse it, and it pisses people off.

Just my two cents.
There are exploits, like always goals and ******** animations. However the hip check essentially lets you have 99 checking without wasting a single point in strength, and no amount of balance can help you regardless of how slightly they brush you. I can't imagine the EA developers are looking at these highlights and going "well yeah that's how we envisioned it!!!"

# 40 savoie2006 @ 09/23/11 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongTheFearless
NHL 2K, this is your chance... you can make your NHL game as good as if not better than your NBA game... Don't quit, get it together, regroup, and make an awesome video game. By the way, WTF is going on in that screenshot?!?
Not gonna happen my friend. They weren't making money even when the series was good, due to the cost of making a hockey game and EA sucks all the casual support from them., even back in the day. As much as I wish it would, the reality is the series is DEAD.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.