Home
Feature Article
Madden's Fab Five Under Seventy-Five

Anyone with two opposable thumbs could throw for more than 400 yards in a game with Tom Brady in Madden NFL 12. But can we sling the polygonal pigskin around for 400 yards in a game with, say, Packers’ clipboard-carrier Graham Harrell?

As Barrack Obama would say, “Yes we can.”

There are many players in Madden with overall ratings less than 75 (after EA’s fourth roster update) who can help you dominate on the virtual gridiron, either against friends in an exhibition game, in your offline franchise or in the online community.

Here are five of the best:

Josh Johnson, QB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Overall rating: 67
Johnson may not be the best when it comes to spinning a pass on target – he has the aim of a blind dart thrower -- but he can scramble for yards and operate adequately in a short passing attack.

His 88 speed rating is right up there with the fleet-of-foot types at the position in the game like Michael Vick, and his throw power of 89 is very respectable. Just don’t plan on completing many deep passes with Johnson under your cyber center.

Noel Devine, RB, Free agent
Overall rating: 
Devine is a poor-man’s Darren Sproles, without the choppy strides that make him look like Sonic the Hedgehog in cleats. In fact, Devine and Sproles have a very similar build (both make Peter Dinklage look like a center for the Chicago Bulls) and very similar ratings.

What keeps Devine down is his poor awareness rating of 27 -- a rock is more aware -- but that doesn’t matter so much in Madden when you are the one pulling his strings with your stick skills.
Just don’t ask him to stay in and pick up a blitz.

Romo's the best player under 75 overall in the fourth quarter....or is he?

Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Kansas City Chiefs
Overall rating: 
Baldwin flat out has hops. His 97 jump rating puts him in an elite class with Calvin Johnson (not Jr.) and Larry Fitzgerald (who, ironically, is a Jr.)

A high jump rating is a very valuable skill for a receiver in Madden. Lob up a few goal line fades or under-throw a few streak patterns in Baldwin’s direction and you’ll find out just how valuable he can be to your team.

Dontay Moch, LB, Cincinnati Bengals
Overall rating:
Speaking of jump ratings … want to knock down those pesky deep in and crossing patterns? Well, look no further than Moch, a dude Madden players outside of the Queen City probably have never heard of in their lives.

Moch has a crazy good jump rating of 93, which, in the current pre-patch state of the Madden engine, means he can swat down any pass thrown anywhere between the hash marks if you nestle him in a nice little zone.

He isn’t just a one-trick pony. He also has a 91 speed rating and a hit power rating of 90, which means he packs a pretty good wallop with the hit stick.

Brad Smith, ?, Buffalo Bills
Overall rating at QB:
The question mark is there because Smith has one of the most unique rating sets of any player in Madden.

He’s a quarterback in the game, which is a huge waste of his talents. Sure, you can sub him into any shotgun set and run him around like a caffeinated Vick. You can’t, however, use him to return kicks or catch a pass and put his 90-plus speed, agility and acceleration skills to good use.

Edit him to a wide receiver, and his overall jumps to a 74. Switch him to a running back, and his overall spikes to an 83.

Running back is the best position for Smith because he can be better utilized in a wildcat set, can line up at receiver or at running back, where he can slip through holes on draw plays or release out into the flats where he usually will be open.

Best of the rest: RB Reggie Bush (74), WR Jacoby Ford (74), QB Harrell (66, but with a 90 short throw accuracy rating) and QB Hope Bromley (65, she may be short but she can sure sling the rock).

Who do you think is the best player in Madden rated below 75?

Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 TheShizNo1 @ 10/05/11 10:38 AM
"What keeps Devine down is his poor awareness rating of 27 -- a rock is more aware"

LMAO! Good scouting report. I'd throw HB Aaron Brown on this list.

# 2 georgiafan @ 10/05/11 10:51 AM
HB Aaron Brown from the lions is also really good he has a speed of like 95.

# 3 TheShizNo1 @ 10/05/11 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan
HB Aaron Brown from the lions is also really good he has a speed of like 95.
That's who I was talking about. His catch raring is also highest among HB's.

# 4 KBLover @ 10/05/11 11:15 AM
Wait, a girl player?

Must. Sign. Now. *writes down name*

I want that Moch guy too. Totally signing him in my Ravens franchise - or trading for him if he's still on the roster (which would shock me with the way the AI handles UDFAs).

# 5 georgiafan @ 10/05/11 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
That's who I was talking about. His catch raring is also highest among HB's.
He makes for a very good backup and similar player to Best. So much so that I've thought about trading best and making Brown the starter since I pass the ball most of the time anyway.

# 6 KBLover @ 10/05/11 11:17 AM
Wait...there's no Hope Bromley in my roster...?

Was totally going to sign her...

Guess her player doesn't appear in franchise mode. I see her when I go to NFL Rosters as a FA, but in Franchise mode..nope.

# 7 LiL_MiK3Y @ 10/05/11 07:51 PM
Denarius Moore . Idk about Madden but in The NFL this kid is dangerous .

# 8 baller7345 @ 10/05/11 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Wait...there's no Hope Bromley in my roster...?

Was totally going to sign her...

Guess her player doesn't appear in franchise mode. I see her when I go to NFL Rosters as a FA, but in Franchise mode..nope.
If you really want her then sign her outside of franchise and start a franchise. Otherwise all the contest winners/make a wish people get deleted when you start a franchise.

# 9 HurtfulScroll1234 @ 10/05/11 10:11 PM
Very good atricle. IVery witty. I agree with most of it but i wold put Brown on th elist, too. He's awesome. I've used Devine, too. Hes a little guy but has quicks. Good job Kilroy.
p.s. Hope bromley is cute.

# 10 scottyo60 @ 10/06/11 12:06 AM
Pryors my man in this game. Same reason as JJ

# 11 Coast @ 10/06/11 02:12 AM
Wow I'm shocked they didnt put WR Denario Alexander.
90+ SPC and JMP rating makes him the best low rated Rocket Catch stud.

# 12 legenddt @ 10/06/11 02:16 AM
Jeff Maehl, wr for the texans, anyone remember this kid from oregon last year? He was s beast in the national championship game last year, anyways in madden this guy is a GREAT slot receiver, runs great routes and catches everything over the middle

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk

# 13 legenddt @ 10/06/11 02:18 AM
Quote:
He makes for a very good backup and similar player to Best. So much so that I've thought about trading best and making Brown the starter since I pass the ball most of the time anyway.
Georgia fan playing as the Lions? Would think you'd be playing as the falcons and their new toy julio Jones

# 14 georgiafan @ 10/06/11 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by legenddt
Georgia fan playing as the Lions? Would think you'd be playing as the falcons and their new toy julio Jones

I couldnt pass up playing with my boy stafford

# 15 Armor and Sword @ 10/06/11 11:13 AM
I had a very solid year one with Reggie Bush. He stayed healthy for 15/16 games and all through the post season. Regular season rushing numbers were nice at over 800 yarads as well as 300 yards in recieving. He had 10 TD's as well and made several big plays in big moments. He is in a 60/40 time share with Daniel Thomas.

Year 2 is underway and he has struggled out of the gate....maybe he is taking it easy after getting a shiny new 2 year extension. LOL!!

I also signed Jared Cook Jr (TE) in my first free agent off-season period who I know is not under 75....but is already a beast for me three games in.

# 16 Dogslax41 @ 10/06/11 11:31 AM
I have Pryor at WR in my Bengals Franchise and he is fairly solid. Doesn't have a good release but can catch the ball on out patterns and curls. Will also go up and get the high slant throw from Dalton.

# 17 legenddt @ 10/06/11 05:40 PM
Quote:
I couldnt pass up playing with my boy stafford
No doubt, stafford is a beast, both in game and real life. That arm strength, wow lol he's got a missile wish I would have seen more of him in college. Being able to rocker ll

# 18 ABR173rd @ 10/06/11 07:09 PM
Baldwin is a baller but if you don't sign him in your first season he will cost you a pretty penny in season two. Definitely a project player, hes got big play potential but he drops a lot of pass's. Once you give him two good seasons he is definitely a starting caliber WR and hes got A potential.

# 19 1andonly @ 10/09/11 08:22 AM
Vincent Brown WR SD

Drafted 3rd round in 2011

1/5 consistency
3/5 confidence
Makes Sideline catches: Yes
High Motor: Yes

Quickness
SPD: 81
AGI: 89
ACC: 87

Catching
CTH: 84
RTE: 73
CIT: 74
SPC: 86
BPR: 75
JMP: 89

Not the fastest WR, but he is a awesome slot WR. Kind of like a Wes Welker

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.