Home
Feature Article
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13: Initial Reviewer Impressions

This year's flagship golf release from EA, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13, initially looks to be a mix of old and new, with some new control options and gameplay modifiers as well as some tried-and-true courses and game modes.

The core gameplay of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 seems to offer a relatively accurate simulation, as has generally been the case in previous iterations, especially if played on the higher difficulties. The lower difficulties allow plenty of assists in the form of putt previews, after-touch when the ball is in flight and more lenient swing mechanics. On any of the difficulties you can still always ask your caddie what to do, even on putts, which gives you a fairly accurate idea of where you should be aiming, but it rarely results in the perfect shot since you'll have to tweak a few other things on your own to truly lock it in.

As for the new Total Control swing mechanics, I've had pretty good success with them so far. Nothing is radically different than what series regulars will be used to, but anyone expecting the ability to ditch the analog altogether for the three-click method will be disappointed, as it's been removed completely. I don't think that the three-click system should have been taken out, but I do have to say that the analog swing does require some judgement and accuracy in the short game, making the whole affair seem more like an actual simulation than some of the previous Tiger Woods games, which could get pretty easy when it came to gauging the power of a shot.

The smart thing with the revamped controls is that they package up the usual shot preparation and execution into discrete parts, which gives everything a clear and concise presentation. First you deal with the stance setup area, where you can adjust your posture for draw, fade and ball loft. Then you move to the strike meter, where you can choose exactly where to strike the ball with your club. Finally, the swing plane that goes around your golfer shows how far you should swing on the analog stick. As you pull back on the stick, you'll be given a backswing indicator (overswing, underswing, perfect), and then you'll swing forward to dictate the tempo (fast, slow, perfect). I'm liking the way this feels for drives and iron play. It can be frustrating at times with wedges and short shots, but I think it adds some realism when you actually have to judge the weight of a 60-yard shot properly, just like in real life.

Putting has been a bit touchy, especially on the backswing/power portion, but just like in previous games, it appears that you have to adjust your aim according to your power tendencies (if you overswing constantly, for example).

Game modes include the usual array of stroke, skins and match play variants, as well as old favourites like Battle Golf, which allows winning players to remove a club from the opposing golfer's bag, as well as Bingo, Bango, Bongo, which rewards players for first on the green, closest to the pin and lowest score. One way to change up any of the game modes this year is to add “Pin Packs,” which are unlockable boosts that you can apply to your golfer before a round. Some of these boost your overall stats, whereas others allow for more putt previews, better lies and so on. It's an interesting idea, which might allow users to try out higher difficulty settings with a little bit of a safety net.

Another big change this year for the Xbox 360 release is the inclusion of Kinect support, which allows for full voice and body recognition when playing the entire game. Menus can be navigated by guiding your hands up, down, left and right, and then you make a swiping motion to the right to confirm the choice. As an aside, the whole menu interface has been cleaned up quite a bit from the usual EA offerings, and this is likely because of the Kinect support. In general, I'm feeling that using a controller for the menus might be best, and then you could switch to the Kinect for actual gameplay.

My initial experiences with the Kinect on the golf course were interesting, but I do still question the viability of playing round after round in this fashion. Some of the immersion is fairly cool, since you are able to crouch when reading the break of a putt, put your hand above your eyes when looking (zooming in) down the fairway or simply say “ask caddie” to see what your caddie thinks you should do for a shot.

Some of the voice commands work better than gesturing through the menu when you want to tweak your stance or aim your shot, as the menu interface can be a bit finicky when just using your arms. When addressing the ball, you simply clasp your hands together and then proceed to take your swing. There is definitely a lot of assist going on with most of your shots, especially putting, but the experience does work. A small oddity is that you do have to face the camera when swinging (ie. not side profile), which might be disorienting for some players.

The new “Tiger Legacy Challenge” appears to be along the lines of other recent EA Sports titles in that it features conventional gameplay with a small narrative element wrapped around it. The conceit is that you are reliving Tiger's formative moments throughout his life, whether it's putting and chipping on the Mike Douglas Show when he was two years old, practicing with his dad at the local “Muni” courses or achieving his first major title. It's an interesting idea and brings a bit of life to the proceedings, but I wonder if they have gone far enough with the presentation aspects. I'll have to play more of it to know for sure.

Final Thoughts

I'm interested to see how the Kinect support holds up after long-term use, and I'm hoping the legacy mode has a bit more gusto in its presentation for the later years of Tiger's career (well, not that late). The pin packs could be a good idea for those who want to add some difficulty but not get totally crushed doing so, and the new Total Control analog swinging seems like it's offering challenge in the right areas. Look for more impressions and the full review in the coming days.

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 nivek64 @ 03/27/12 04:41 PM
The headline golfer on the Tiger Woods 13 page looks like Dwight Howard. #Justsayin'

# 2 Dogslax41 @ 03/27/12 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek64
The headline golfer on the Tiger Woods 13 page looks like Dwight Howard. #Justsayin'
Quite possibly because it is. Can't remember who else they included I know Rooney and Roenick and i think maybe Faulkner and Sugar Ray

# 3 garyjr33 @ 03/27/12 05:38 PM
I think it is Dwight Howard...the amazon pre-order bonus was 4 celebrity golfers: Dwight Howard, Sugar Ray Leonard, Jeremy Roenick and Marshall Faulk if I am not mistaken.

# 4 sydrogerdavid @ 03/27/12 05:39 PM
I tried the demo with the move. The controls don't make sense to me.

# 5 Tomba @ 03/27/12 06:16 PM
game is gorgeous...nuff said

# 6 Dazraz @ 03/27/12 06:38 PM
I used to like the early PGA games where you could play one off tournaments with a full leaderboard of players. I like playing tournaments but don't have the time to work through the career mode. That said the game looks very impressive on the visual front.

# 7 kdogpa @ 03/27/12 10:55 PM
great upgrade from last year with the swing mechanics. and the Tiger Challenge is actually pretty fun. well done EA.

# 8 Vechi8 @ 03/27/12 11:02 PM
I thought that The Show had great ball physics but Tiger rivals them! The way the ball moves on the green, the trajectory and spin of the ball are scarey real.When you are on the tee box, looking ahead is amazing. The game actually makes your tv 3d. I have never seen this with a TW game. It is a nice break from playing baseball 24/7.

# 9 8iron @ 03/27/12 11:27 PM
Put in a couple hours tonight. Surprised at how much I enjoyed The Toddler Years and will likely finish Tiger mode; I was dismissive of this mode but its fun.

Played the online daily at Crooked Stick, finished plus 3. But I was +4 on hole one as I chipped back and forth three times then three putted. So, "almost" minus 1 for my first round, using Luke Donald. Reasonable. Short game will be amazing and very controllable once I get used to it, I think. Chipping reacts like real life and finally allows you to read a break which is a first in the series in my opinion (to be clear, I mean read the break of a chip).

Visually this is leaps and bounds ahead of 12, much more photorealistic and the color pallette is toned down from 12's over-vibrancy. Commentary also seems less intrusive but I missed the hole flyovers, hopefully they just are omitted in the online tournaments.

I havent explored much else but a glance course mastery looks tweaked in a cool way, for example, it looks like you can get gold objectives before fulfilling all of the silver ones.

I played a full season plus about 50 rounds with my CAG in 12, plus dozens more with pros against friends and my son passing the controller. Based on initial impressions, I expect to get at least that much fun out of 13.

# 10 MachoMyers @ 03/28/12 03:13 AM
Just ordered this after reading the OS impressions and not owning a Tiger game in years. I'm looking forward to enjoying this over my spring holidays in between breaks of The Show.

# 11 NBaldwin @ 03/28/12 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
I used to like the early PGA games where you could play one off tournaments with a full leaderboard of players. I like playing tournaments but don't have the time to work through the career mode. That said the game looks very impressive on the visual front.
That's me exactly. Even had my own tour list with legends like Palmer, Hogan, etc.. Just never have understood why this isn' t an option.

# 12 DivotMaker @ 03/28/12 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBaldwin
That's me exactly. Even had my own tour list with legends like Palmer, Hogan, etc.. Just never have understood why this isn' t an option.
I'll tell you why it is not an option....the feature you want is one of the least requested features from all of the fedback that EA receives for new features. There are also other ways to play one-off tournaments....you can play them online in the Weekly tournaments and Play the Pros. The CM is the deepes CM that Tiger has ever had, but making up an offline tournament outside of CM is just not a priority for EA unless they receive a great deal of feedback requesting it. They have proven that they DO listen to their Tiger Community and many features in the game today have come from that same community. Posting your displeasure here isn't going to get the kind of exposure that you want it to receive. If you aren't making your wishes known in the EA Tiger forums, they aren't likely to get your feedback here like they do there.

# 13 NBaldwin @ 03/28/12 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
I'll tell you why it is not an option....the feature you want is one of the least requested features from all of the fedback that EA receives for new features. There are also other ways to play one-off tournaments....you can play them online in the Weekly tournaments and Play the Pros. The CM is the deepes CM that Tiger has ever had, but making up an offline tournament outside of CM is just not a priority for EA unless they receive a great deal of feedback requesting it. They have proven that they DO listen to their Tiger Community and many features in the game today have come from that same community. Posting your displeasure here isn't going to get the kind of exposure that you want it to receive. If you aren't making your wishes known in the EA Tiger forums, they aren't likely to get your feedback here like they do there.
I get what you're saying and I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation before. lol. I just don't get 2 things. One, is it really that hard to simply add 72 holes to the options when choosing 18 holes, front 9, back 9, etc... I don't know, honest question. I believe what your saying about it being last in their priorities because of feedback, it's just hard for me to fathom there aren't more people that would want this simple option. Like I said in an earlier thread, I won't have time to play enough to get to The Masters in my Career, so I won't be able to play along when the tour does. Not a deal breaker for me because I'm used to it by now, just wish it was there.
The deal breaker with me is getting comfortable with the aiming system since I got so wrapped up in True Aim in 2011( I actually went back to it and quit playing 2012). Game definately is BY FAR, the best graphical effort of almost any sports sim I've ever seen.
P.S. I have posted the request for this option in years past at EA, it's just after awhile I figured they weren't going to bring it back because there is not enough people like me that don't even play on line at all.

# 14 stiffarmleft @ 03/28/12 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBaldwin
it's just after awhile I figured they weren't going to bring it back because there is not enough people like me that don't even play on line at all.
Actually there are probably more offline players than online players, myself included. The problem is most offline players don't visit forums like us or even know that they have an avenue to request features. I personally think it's silly to even have to request a feature that should be there in the first place. People can defend it all they want but offline only players are constanlty getting the shaft, simply because we are not as vocal as the online players. Aspects of games are getting watered down or completely removed to help balance out the online aspect of the game, total BS. I'm begining to see this more and more in all games, I'm too old school I guess.

# 15 P5UBZER0 @ 03/29/12 12:13 PM
Nice graphic!

# 16 mpt54 @ 04/02/12 01:01 PM
can't wait!!! finally found a collector's now I just wait

# 17 BRxSKINSx @ 04/17/12 04:20 PM
I haven't played Tiger Woods in years....I actually enjoyed this year's version....for a few weeks at least...I prefer playing without the kinect though....

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.