Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K14: Next-Gen Hands-On Impressions

NBA 2K14 on next-gen looks great, plays great. Features are missing though.

To port or not to port? That is the question.

In 2006, 2K took a different approach to their first game on the next gen consoles. 2K simply upgraded the graphics and ported over all of the features in the current gen version. That was the safe approach and most people were happy with it by and large.

This time around 2K wants OS'ers to know one thing: The next gen version of NBA 2K14 is not a port. But is that a good thing?

Let's start with the graphics. The game looks exactly like (if not better) than the trailer. 2K face mapped damn near every NBA player in the league. Guys like Lebron and Kobe look exactly like their real life counterparts but that's expected. What I didn't expect was that guys like Joel Anthony and Festus Ezeli would look amazing. The faces and the lighting and details of each arena jump out as the most improved aspects of the game to you.

With that said, the graphical improvements are less prominent when you are playing the game in broadcast mode. Don't get me wrong, the game still looks great, but I can see many people complaining that they don't see a huge difference from current gen when actually playing the game versus in replays.

The improved graphics also quite prominent in MyPLAYER mode. There are significantly more hairstyles and beard choices in the next gen version than current gen. There is no longer a huge difference between how a real NBA player looks and a created player/my player looks. I've played 3 next gen games at this point (NBA, FIFA and Knack) and 2k clearly has the best looking game on next gen.

The gameplay feels similar enough to current-gen, if not better.

Gameplay

2K set up a quick demo of the game featuring the Heat and the Warriors. The demo was a single three minute quarter with play calling on. I played a total of three quarters with the game. The game reminds me of the current gen version, as it should, but it's clearly feels somewhat different. The key to that is the new Ecomotion engine.

The Ecomotion engine adds foot planting and better dribbling animations to the series. Sliding has been virtually eliminated from the series and dribbling animations are tighter than they ever have been. In current gen, there are times when dribbling the ball will not touch the floor because of a bad animation. This doesn't occur in next gen. This is clearly 2K's response to Live's BounceTek feature and eliminates one of the competition's biggest selling points.

Another feature of the new system is called animation synthesis. In next gen, all animations are contextual. For example, if Durant is taking a jumper and he is wide open, he will use his typical gather, release and landing. If a defender pressures him, he will automatically adjust his release and may land differently depending on the position of the defender. These additions are very visible during gameplay and you will see a bunch of new animations.

Points of Emphasis is another gameplay related feature that is only in next-gen. As a coach you are given 9 options on offense and defense during the game that you can use to make adjustments. For example when playing the Heat, you can instruct your team to defend the perimeter as a point of emphasis.

I know what you are thinking "Can't we do that in current gen with defensive adjustments?" The difference here is your team will practically hug perimeter players. I saw one screenshot of Sefolosha body to body against Lebron when denying the ball. I'm interested in seeing how much Points of Emphasis actually affects the game and if the AI uses these also. On the surface though, this appears to be a good addition.

"What do you mean features are missing from current gen?"

Features

Lets get the bad out of the way: Association mode as we know it has been removed.

They have been replaced by a new mode called MyGM. In my opinion, it's similar to Madden's connected careers mode. The mode takes your MyPLAYER and makes him the GM of the team. As the GM, you interview and hire staff, negotiate trades with other owners and manage players. The centerpiece of this mode is the conversation system.

An example of this is you are the GM of the Kings and the team has lost 8 games in a row. Boogie Cousins comes in to your office and demands a trade. You can either attempt to convince Cousins to stay with the team, ignore his demand or shop him for a trade. The mode appears to be very immersive and perfect for people who are interested in managing one team. So what's the problem?

I'm a firm believer in one rule: YOU DONT REMOVE FEATURES! NBA 2K4 had a franchise mode with 30 team control and 2K removed in NBA 2K5 for no particular reason. It took them three years and a ton of complaints from a select few OS'ers to get them to add the feature back. Madden did the same thing last year and after some backlash added it back this year. I'm willing to acknowledge that MyGM looks intriguing and may be the future of the franchise, but it makes no sense to remove features like multi-team association and potentially alienate a very dedicated (and vocal) segment of the audience.

I'm sure these removals won't affect a good amount of people who buy this game. Many will be happy with controlling one team on MyGM or just focus on MyPLAYER. But some of us don't want to interview players or staff. Some of us just want to play or watch any game. Some of us don't trust the CPU AI when it comes to making trades and cuts and want to prevent unrealistic decisions. That's why we love multi team association.

Another feature which isn't making the jump is custom music. Also gone are practice plays. Devs confirmed but didn't specify that some other features found in current gen won't make the jump over to next gen this year. What this means is many basketball gamers will have to keep the current-gen version of the game to get a total basketball fix this year.

More info is coming on MyGM in the next week.

Onto the good though: MyPLAYER looks incredible. The structure appears to be similar to current-gen with your career starting at the Draft showcase but it's clearly different, there are bunch of new cutscenes added to the next gen version and 2K showed us three of them.

The first one is your agent informing you that you have been invited to the Draft Showcase. The second one is your rival approaches you before the DS and talks a little trash. After that conversation, you agent asks you how you felt about the trash talk and you are given the choice of getting emotional or letting it go. Finally, your DS coach approaches you in the locker room and attempts to motivate you before the game. MyPLAYER on next-gen is much more immersive and I'm excited about giving it a run.

The final feature we saw was called “The Park”. 2K wasn't saying much about it other than its a place where you and 100 of your friends can play. The visual they showed multiple basketball courts with MyPlayers on each court. This is pure speculation but this could be Crew on steroids where you can take your MyPlayer from court to court just like you could if you were at a real park with multiple courts.

From what I saw, I am definitely excited about the next gen version of the game but not as excited as I was coming into the event. The game looks and feels great but the limited feature set hampers it. Hopefully once we get more information about the features actually in the game, the pain from the features removed will dull.

NBA 2K14 releases on launch day for both PlayStation 4 (November 15) and Xbox One (November 22).

Edited to clarify: Season mode is still in the game per multiple sources/confirmations by 2K Sports.

NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 eko718 @ 10/24/13 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
Actually, you might be right.

Not sure, what he means by, "multiple season lengths." Could be one season 41 games instead of 82. Or it could mean 1 to 20 seasons. Need some further clarification from someone in the know.

That could make or break this game for many people.
Pretty sure multiple season lengths means length of season. 14 games, 52, 82, etc... In other words, the same option we have in current gen. The Season mode in 2K has always been for one season, not multiple.

# 122 zniv @ 10/24/13 04:17 PM
Whoa whoa whoa whoa. Hold on a sec here. I can live with no multi-team Association (my condolences), I can kind of work out plays in Quick Games as opposed to Run Plays Practice, but why take out Playoffs mode for? Am I the only one that teams up with buddies on the couch and takes a team through 4 epic rounds of playoff atmosphere basketball? So we can win a championship together?

Fine. I'll live with that, we'll stick to Quick Games. But if editing players is out? As a realism geek (daily rotations, measurements, jersey numbers, accessories) if I can't even give John Wall a padded sleeve or remove Andray Blatche's headband, I'm out.

# 123 252Life @ 10/24/13 04:18 PM
So you can't play or watch any other games but your own? I guess I should've expected some hiccups with this being that is a launch title but still disappointing.

# 124 cthurt @ 10/24/13 04:24 PM
It kinda sucks that until we hear from 2k, people have to hope/question if things like player editing is still in the game, hopefully the 2k guys saw how bad it was for madden for taking that feature out of the game and they kept it in for next gen.

# 125 Dr. Banner @ 10/24/13 04:30 PM
This game still a must buy, but the hype from this site and the trailer had me head over heels....until I saw the gameplay, just seems like the same o same o nba 2k with better graphics....I know it'll get better as it goes though. My biggest issue, that seems to play the same for the most part, even though they claim it's a new engine, built from the ground up. So a little disappointed, since this probably be the only next gen game I buy until infamous second son.

# 126 Dazraz @ 10/24/13 04:37 PM
A Season Mode, even if it is just for 1 year, will be fine with me as long as it's Multiplayer.

# 127 RocketTMac1 @ 10/24/13 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
It kinda sucks that until we hear from 2k, people have to hope/question if things like player editing is still in the game, hopefully the 2k guys saw how bad it was for madden for taking that feature out of the game and they kept it in for next gen.
Already the case unfortunately. Seems this is the foundation and everything else like editing, 30 team GM Mode, Playoffs, Run Plays Practice will be in later editions of the game.

# 128 manny2012 @ 10/24/13 04:41 PM
After seeing all the good and bad statements made about the next gen version of this great basketball game I'm still sold over current gen. There have been some features removed but to say it's the same game as current gen with better graphics is wrong.

I really think after playing 20 or 30 games people will see the differences in gameplay and visuals. There are just so many little improvements and detail that won't be appreciated or noticed until we really dig into it, I for one can't wait.

I can't wait for the 15th and think this and killzone will keep me happy for some time...at least until the show comes out next gen!

# 129 cthurt @ 10/24/13 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketTMac1
Already the case unfortunately. Seems this is the foundation and everything else like editing, 30 team GM Mode, Playoffs, Run Plays Practice will be in later editions of the game.
You know this for a fact about the editing or you just think this is the direction 2k is going... becuase if this is true I will have a hard time dropping 60 bucks on this game.

# 130 Cowboy008 @ 10/24/13 04:45 PM
Has anyone been able to find out if we are able to edit our players equipment?

# 131 cthurt @ 10/24/13 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy008
Has anyone been able to find out if we are able to edit our players equipment?
I been hoping to find this out all day no answer yet though.

# 132 RocketTMac1 @ 10/24/13 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
You know this for a fact about the editing or you just think this is the direction 2k is going... becuase if this is true I will have a hard time dropping 60 bucks on this game.
Personally it wouldn't surprise me. Right now I'm going to have a pessimistic attitude towards the news so I don't get let down again lol.

But those are the rumors I've heard. And 2K hasn't said anything to deny them yet.

# 133 cthurt @ 10/24/13 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketTMac1
Personally it wouldn't surprise me. Right now I'm going to have a pessimistic attitude towards the news so I don't get let down again lol.

But those are the rumors I've heard. And 2K hasn't said anything to deny them yet.

Sadly thats where I am at too, hoping for the best but expecting the worse. Just want to know before Nov. 15th is all.

# 134 Cowboy008 @ 10/24/13 04:59 PM
I don't know.. If they took being able to edit your players out you would think they would tell people so they know what to expect. I'm hoping you're able to at least edit your teams roster in MyGM mode.

# 135 richlane007 @ 10/24/13 05:04 PM
So I guess this is what we get for asking for changes to Association mode? Damn. I think it's a really cool mode but you shouldn't get rid of a core mode that many of us have been playing for years.

My brother and I get together every week and start an Association mode, each pick a team, do a fantasy draft (is that gone too 2K?!) and play the head to head games while trying to make our teams better. We sim the rest of the games which is hilarious to see your team flounder and try to make changes.

Besides playing quick games how do 2 people play locally?

MyGM mode. Cool idea but i can see this getting to be a pain in the a-s-s after a couple of months. Profits, owner confidence, player bitching... I'm not dismissing the mode but i'm concerned. And why does it have to be a myPlayer that plays on the team, why can't you play the entire team?

I used to mock people on here who say "I guess i'm not getting the game this year" but I'm not sure if I'll be shelling out $500 for this one. If 2K was really blowing me out of the water with game modes I'd be dropping that cash on release day like Drake at the club, but now I think i'll wait till after Christmas.

# 136 VDusen04 @ 10/24/13 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlane007
MyGM mode. Cool idea but i can see this getting to be a pain in the a-s-s after a couple of months. Profits, owner confidence, player bitching... I'm not dismissing the mode but i'm concerned. And why does it have to be a myPlayer that plays on the team, why can't you play the entire team?
I'm with you, but my understanding is the MyPlayer becomes the GM in MyGM. I don't think he plays on the team. I believe you still play using the real life team like normal.

# 137 RocketTMac1 @ 10/24/13 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I'm with you, but my understanding is the MyPlayer becomes the GM in MyGM. I don't think he plays on the team. I believe you still play using the real life team like normal.
Hopefully next year we can get owners and GM's for this mode. This is basically CCM

# 138 blingballa333 @ 10/24/13 05:10 PM
Of course there will be an edit player function. Is this really a question?

# 139 VDusen04 @ 10/24/13 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingballa333
Of course there will be an edit player function. Is this really a question?
I think some people are wondering if it'll be possible to edit other team's players in MyGM so, as I alluded earlier, you don't end up playing a Chris Paul on the Orlando Magic wearing jersey #17 and rocking red shoes.

I'd have to assume normal editing would still be present everywhere else.

# 140 Jakeness23 @ 10/24/13 05:12 PM
I kind of hate that our MyPlayer will be the general manager in MyGM... that just seems kind of lame to me personally.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.