Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K14 Developer Diary - Player Rhythm, Personality Badges & More

NBA 2K14 is bringing emotion to basketball like never before seen in a videogame. Within NBA 2K14’s new engine, Eco-Motion, we were able to emote players in ways only imaginable on the next-generation of consoles. Some of the new features we’ve added to achieve this new level of emotion include player rhythms, personality badges, game significance, player reactions and behaviors. Here is a deeper look into NBA 2K14’s emotion and how we are advancing the game of basketball like never before.

Player Rhythm

New in NBA 2K14 next-gen is a gameplay feature called Player Rhythm.  It’s a complete re-design of our streak system – which drives how a given player gets Hot/Cold throughout the game.  A player is no longer restricted to being “Hot” in just shooting alone like in the past.  We have added Ball Control and Defense into the mix, allowing players who specialize explicitly in passing/distributing the ball or defending and shutting down opponents to get in rhythm as well.  Players can now play to their potential given that they perform well on the floor on both sides of the ball.

Rhythm is broken down into 3 areas of performance:

1.       Shooting

2.       Ball Control

3.       Defense

Performing positively or negatively in each of these areas throughout the game will have an ongoing effect on a player’s Rhythm for those same areas.  For instance, a player who gets a couple of early steals and blocks could get his Defense Rhythm up.  A ball-handler who turns the ball over frequently could lose confidence in his dribbling skill as his Ball Control Rhythm gets Cold.

Derrick Rose is Warm on Shooting, but Cold on Ball Control Rhythm

There are a total of 5 states a player’s Rhythm can fluctuate between.  The color of the Rhythm Icon shows you what state they are currently in (Neutral will simply not display any icons at all).

1.       Hot

2.       Warm

3.       Neutral

4.       Cold

5.       Frozen

PS4 Tip: On the PS4, you can click the Touchpad at any time for a Rhythm Check.  This will turn on the Rhythm icons for all of your teammates on the floor. 

Personality Badges

Now that you know what the new Rhythm system is, let’s talk about the new Personality Badge feature and how the two work together.  Personality Badges tie-in to how a particular player gets in (or out of) Rhythm during a game.  Not all players are created equal.  Some players can come in at a high Rhythm when the team needs him most, other players can feed off the crowd energy, or a player who can get into an opponent’s head and put them out of Rhythm.

When you bring up the in-game HUD (by pressing DPAD-Up during gameplay), you will now notice two sets of icons: Signature Skills and Personality Badges. 

Personality Badges are displayed alongside Signature Skills.  You can bring up the HUD by pressing DPAD-Up during gameplay.

There are a total of 21 badges in the game, and each player can be assigned up to a maximum of 3.  A full list is located down below for a breakdown of what each badge means and their impact on rhythm, what its icon looks like in-game, and player examples around the league.

I would also like to take this time to point out that 6 of badges were previously Signature Skills from 2K13.

Game Significance

Going deeper in feature, we also take into account the context and significance of a particular game to a given player or the team as a whole.  These can have an impact on how players could potentially perform for that game.

Hometown Games: Playing an Away game in a player’s hometown.  Commentary will also point out these games to clue you in on whose homecoming game it is.

Visiting Old Teams: Playing against an old team whom a player has a history with.  James Harden playing back against Oklahoma is a good example.

Rivalry Games – Some rivalries stand the test of time and some fizzle out.  Players can get in Rhythm earlier during these matchups.

Games against Power Teams – Some teams tend to elevate their game when up against powerhouses.  

Playoff Ramification Games – All games matter, but it definitely matters more when a playoff spot is on the line.

Player Reactions and Behavior

The role of Personality Badges does not stop with player Rhythm.  On top of getting players to behave and react to what goes on around them, we also consider what type of player they are so that everything that you see in-game plays within context.

Westbrook going over the previous play with Ibaka

Team leaders such as your Alpha Dogs, Floor Generals, or Defensive Anchors will direct teammates and game plan for the next possession.  Swagger type players are more apt to play the more over-the-top celebrations.  Unpredictable players will exhibit emotional reaction to calls and might even lose their cool.  These are just a few examples, but the level of detail adds to the overall experience so that players behave like their real-life counterpart.

Other Modes

Personality Badges become available in MyCAREER as you progress through that mode.  They are automatically unlocked as you hit certain milestones and achievements.  You will then be allowed to equip up to 3 badges for your player.

Jerson Sapida (a.k.a. “JersDaCurse”)

NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 quehouston @ 11/15/13 09:35 AM
Its great to finally see all of these in one place. Nice write up

# 2 StL_RamZ @ 11/15/13 09:35 AM
Phenomenal information. One more week

# 3 Goffs @ 11/15/13 09:39 AM
Streaky

J.R. Smith

LOL the only player used as an example....perfect one to boot..

# 4 DatGD12guage @ 11/15/13 09:47 AM
ok what does rhythm mean b/c they are throwing that word around very loosely. Is it a new rating or a substitute word for ratings boosts and if ratings boosts what particular ratings are being boosted?

Either way this is a nice touch to the game and we now can confirm that it is a new momentum system, I just hope it doesnt turn out to be cheesy as we all would hope.

# 5 cmehustle @ 11/15/13 09:49 AM
word is bond!

# 6 poster @ 11/15/13 10:19 AM
Unbelievable how deep the mode is. So much going on, love it! Hurry up UPS!

# 7 sooperb @ 11/15/13 10:22 AM
DOPE!!!!!!!!

# 8 RocketTMac1 @ 11/15/13 10:27 AM
Al Jefferson is a mentor? Don't think so

Kemba should be heart and soul

# 9 jeebs9 @ 11/15/13 10:37 AM
Just reading this... I wet my pants... All this info sounds AMAZING!!

# 10 eko718 @ 11/15/13 10:54 AM
I LOVE it. If it works as described, this can be a game changer.

# 11 stillfeelme @ 11/15/13 11:25 AM
Jerson,

I must admit you guys used some examples from the original signature skills thread and just went H.A.M. I am glad you guys are reading this board because I know some of the input is getting put in what the community requested. I know I put down the Mentor, Streaky, Volume shooter, Enforcer and the Mind Games one. I didn't call it mind games but I called it the Trash talker lol. Stern probably wasn't approving of Trash talker anyway. I definitely remember the Sparkplug.

If you can tell us the correlation for Rhythm to ratings? Probably too detailed but good looking anyway. This game is sick though

# 12 King_B_Mack @ 11/15/13 11:28 AM
Quote:
Going deeper in feature, we also take into account the context and significance of a particular game to a given player or the team as a whole. These can have an impact on how players could potentially perform for that game.

Hometown Games: Playing an Away game in a player’s hometown. Commentary will also point out these games to clue you in on whose homecoming game it is.

Visiting Old Teams: Playing against an old team whom a player has a history with. James Harden playing back against Oklahoma is a good example.

Rivalry Games – Some rivalries stand the test of time and some fizzle out. Players can get in Rhythm earlier during these matchups.

Games against Power Teams – Some teams tend to elevate their game when up against powerhouses.

Playoff Ramification Games – All games matter, but it definitely matters more when a playoff spot is on the line.

# 13 jasonator @ 11/15/13 12:29 PM
THIS IS JUST PERFECT! Just one thing though, 2K's SIGNATURE JUMPSHOTS/FORMS of most of the players are NOT ACCURATE! It's really hard to edit it one by one! PLEASE 2K, Focus on this in the next 2K. THANK YOU!

# 14 Sundown @ 11/15/13 03:19 PM
I LOVE this feature. A detailed and nuanced implementation of the intangibles in basketball. One of the first things I did was to check all the Emotion Badges for my Warriors.

Many I agreed with. Some, I have quibbles with:

Stephen Curry-- Alpha Dog, Dialed In, Volume Shooter

I guess I can go with Alpha Dog (though I don't think of him as Kobe-esque in any way). He has carried the team on his back when everyone was sucking-- see 54 in MSG. However, I'm not sure I agree with Dailed In and Volume Shooter.

Dialed In suggests that the player is better if he hits shots early, and Curry definitely has a tendency to do that with his insane performances after his "Lock in!" tweets. However, Curry became known for his third quarter performances even after being cold or spending more time distributing in the early half of games. His "Human Torch Mode" is based entirely on his ability to turn it on anytime.

Speaking of which, what happened to Microwave?

(EDIT: Oh, it's Dialed In now but with negative ramifications-- shots made don't get you out of a slump as easily. Not sure if I like that for Curry.)

Volume Shooter also suggests that Curry needs to get up a lot of shots to get and stay in rhythm. While this is partially true, I don't think Curry needs more shots than most players.

Volume Shooter combined with Dialed In encourages you to play Curry more as a hero ball chucker than as a PG looking to distribute off the defense he commands because he can go off anytime. It also works against replicating his 3rd quarter eruptions and playmaking selflessness.

Lastly Curry used to have Heat Retention from CG. This appears to be replaced by the Unphased Emotion Badge. Seems like Curry should get that badge back. You don't do 54 in MSG without that-- although I guess the argument could be made that he achieved it by being an Alpha Dog.

I think I'd look at replacing Volume Shooter with Unphased.

Klay Thompson-- Dialed In, Volume Shooter

I'm mostly okay with these-- since Klay seems either completely on or completely off between games. However, I expected Streaky Shooter since Klay is the definition of that.

If Dialed In is meant to represent streakyness game to game, and Streaky Shooter is meant for streaks in a game, then it's fine. However Klay does have a tendency to go cold for streaks even after coming in hot (think Spurs Game 2). I'd think hard about adding Streaky Shooter for Klay.

Klay might need Beta Dog soon at the rate he's playing.

Harrison Barnes-- Unphased

Seems like this should actually be the Cool Headed emotion badge (or whatever it's called). Barnes had anti-freeze in CG and I think that represents his ability to stay calm in the clutch better than Unphased. Barnes doesn't score often enough for Unphased to really matter or show up. I'd have to think about this a bit more but I'm leaning towards Cool Headed being more appropriate for him.

Andrew Bogut-- Defensive Anchor, Enforcer, Mentor

These are well chosen for the most part. I might also replace Mentor with Hardened. Bogut played playoffs at 60% on a half-rehabbed ankle that eventually gave out and still ended up being the second biggest contributor to the Warriors' series win over Denver.

I'm also not sure if Bogut serves the Mentor role on this team-- he's still hungry and had limited playoff experience as well. He's not really a stabilizing "it's gonna be alright" guy for the Warriors because he's seen everything-- it's more in his approach to the game and his general intensity and play. Jermaine Oneal might eventually be that guy.

Draymond Green-- Scrapper

I'd consider adding Mind Game. Guy loves to yak and called Lebron "soft" to his face during our road win last year. Maybe it's arguable whether his talking affects games but it does get under peoples' skin. See Chandler Parsons.

Andre Iguodala-- Swagger, Enforcer

Not sure about Enforcer. Iggy is not really a beat-you-up type of guy. Maybe replace that with Cool Headed or Beta Dog. Small sample set, but from what I've seen, Iggy can get buckets on this Warriors team when Curry and Thompson aren't.

Might also consider Prime Time for Iggy. He shot extremely well for Denver in playoffs last year, well above his season averages, and he just lit up the 76ers with a career best 7 3-pointers this season. I can only imagine what he'll end up doing to Denver.

Swagger is well chosen. Especially after last night. Apparently Iggy is now tied with Kobe, Wade, and Arenas for most made buzzer beaters since 04-05 (his first season).

Anyway, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this feature. So many of the intangibles I'd suggested representing in the past either as sig skills or as attributes made it (Sparkplug, Mentor, etc.). Many were very similar to the specifics I'd suggested. Some are even better.

# 15 Gramps91 @ 11/15/13 03:24 PM
I love how 2k tries to make each player as authentic as possible. Great stuff.

# 16 ruLEX$$ @ 11/15/13 03:58 PM
Do anyone know Paul George's badges and sig skills? If so please post

# 17 kolanji @ 11/15/13 07:20 PM
I have never in my life seen devs so committed to details in a sports game....... no no drop that,...... in a any game ever!!!!! #REALTALK

VC I swear u guys need to be nominated for a game of the year award

Get the charging/blocking game right and NBA coaches will use ur game for scouting reports

# 18 theredfish757 @ 11/16/13 03:47 AM
Does anyone know if you can sim through games in MYCareer on ps4. I have played like 12 games and I cant find this option anywhere. Plus I dont see any options to talk to your gm. It is like im forced to always play the next game. Any one out there with any other experience???

# 19 Droz10 @ 11/17/13 11:43 AM
Can you play 2 player in mygm? If so I haven't figured it out. Would be very surprised if I couldn't play a franchise or season with a friend friend on my team. I haven't found any game mode that supports being on same team, except quick game, but let's be honest that's pointless. Can anyone shed some light?

# 20 Droz10 @ 11/17/13 11:44 AM
Can you play 2 player in mygm? If so I haven't figured it out. Would be very surprised if I couldn't play a franchise or season with a friend friend on my team. I haven't found any game mode that supports being on same team, except quick game, but let's be honest that's pointless. Can anyone shed some light?

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.