Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K14 My Career Mode Makes and Misses
Of all the PlayStation 4 sports games, NBA 2K14 is the one I have played the most. Not because of its online modes, which are barely functional, or because of the lackluster My GM mode, which has been hampered by bizarre trade logic, nonsensical contract negotiations, outdated rosters (until this week) and a major bug where players never return from injuries.

Instead, I have almost exclusively played the new-look My Career mode, where you create an avatar and guide him through the cliché ascent from unknown street baller to NBA champion.

While the premise itself is stale, the mode's presentation is fresh, plus its scope is larger than any previous sports gaming story mode. You'd have to go all the way back to Midway's retired NBA Ballers and Blitz: The League series to find a sports game that put anywhere near as much work into crafting storylines and choreographing cutscenes.

Turning NBA 2K14's career mode into a low-budget Hollywood movie may have turned off some hardcore gamers who only care about what happens on the court. But Visual Concepts' attempt to capture the emotional parts of basketball -- player rivalries, teammate tensions, coaching disputes -- may also help usher in a new audience to sports gaming. One that, potentially, could become much larger and more lucrative than the audience who is outraged that they cannot "press X to fast forward."

During the console transition of the mid-1990s, roleplaying games used movie-quality video scenes to help take an unaccessible genre with a nerdy reputation from the unknown obscurity of EarthBound to the blockbuster success of Final Fantasy VII. At a time when the number of yearly sports franchises is dwindling, and the sales of key franchises like Madden NFL are slipping, the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One could finally become the stage where sports games start acting more like big screen dramas and less like interactive spreadsheets.

My Career, though not without some significant flaws, represents the first significant step towards making sports video games mean something more than just a bunch of numbers.

Makes

Cutscenes and Storylines

Between each game, NBA 2K14 uses cinematic sequences to show your created superstar interacting with coaches, trainers, teammates, media members, agents, businessmen and rival players. The 300-page script contains many memorable moments, and while the voice acting can be corny at times, these off-the-court sequences help build an emotional investment in the mode. 

When I had to sit down -- face-to-face -- with my general manager and ask him to trade me, I genuinely felt selfish and a little remorseful, as the boss and I had experienced some funny, friendly moments during many previous meetings.

When a hotshot super agent pulled me into his limousine and tried to lure me away from my long-time friend, I couldn't wait to tell the champagne-sipping, Rolex-wearing sleazeball to take his contract offer, shine it up real nice, turn it neatly on its side, and shove it straight up his candy ***.

Intriguing behind-the-scenes moments provide extra motivation to play through My Career's grinding 82-game schedule, as I've already experienced many crazy and unexpected circumstances just two-thirds of the way through my first season.

Signature Skills and Personality Traits

While NBA 2K14's create-a-player interface is lacking in visual customization, it atones for that fault by offering excellent gameplay personalization.

In addition to the standard 0-99 attribute ratings, your player can also equip up to 7 Signature Skills, which unlock unique animations and provide performance enhancements in specific game situations. A "Pick & Roll Maestro" will have a greater chance of hitting shots or completing passes when coming off a ball screen. An "Acrobat" will have little difficulty changing his shots in mid-air using NBA 2K's patented "shot stick." With 35 Signature Skills to select from, created players can now choose specializations that go beyond simply being a "good shooter." In NBA 2K14, "shooters" have to decide whether they want to excel off the catch, in traffic or from the corners. 

As many as three Personality Badges can also be equipped to further define your player's on-court role. An "Alpha Dog" will elevate his game whenever teammates are struggling. "Primetime" players perform at their peak during the playoffs and against rival teams. These 22 Badges are yet another tool, alongside the insanely detailed player models and hundreds of player-specific animations, that helps Visual Concepts capture the unique personality and mannerisms of each individual athlete in the NBA.

Misses

Dynamic Goals

NBA 2K14's career mode actively encourages you to be a ball hog and a bad teammate. At least, that's what will happen if you choose to follow the game's poorly designed dynamic goals. 

I once was subbed into a game with six seconds left, down by a single point, with my coach telling me to "hit the game-winning shot." After receiving the inbound pass, I was immediately double-teamed, so instead, I passed to an open teammate, who hit the game-winning shot as time expired.

Afterward, the coach expressed his disappointment with my play, saying that he would be lowering my minutes and decreasing my role with the team. That night, media members and Twitter followers were asking me why I had missed the game-winning shot. Apparently, NBA 2K14 takes the cliché, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" too literally.

To make matters worse, if you are pressing the X button to skip a cutaway camera shot and a dynamic goal suddenly appears on screen, there is no way to go back and view the assignment after you've accidentally "buttoned through it." 

Virtual Currency

If you choose to ignore NBA 2K14 self-centered goal system in favor of playing strategically sound, team-orientated basketball, don't expect to earn many experience points. 

Virtual currency, which is required to upgrade your player's attributes, special abilities and wardrobe, is incredibly hard to come by in NBA 2K14 without accomplishing any of the me-first goals.

Finish a game with 0 turnovers? You earn 25 VC.

Complete the social media challenge for outscoring -- AKA out-ball hogging -- Carmelo Anthony? You earn 250 VC.

Achieve an A+ teammate grade? You earn 15 VC.

Score 10 straight points all by yourself? You earn 150 VC.

As messed up at the VC earning rates are, the spending system is even more backwards. 

Before I even began My Career, I created my own sneakers using NBA 2K14's awesome shoe designer feature. I initially had some trouble figuring out how to actually equip my custom shoes. Then I discovered that I couldn't even wear the shoes that I had made unless I spent 7,500 VC in the My Player store. For reference, I've played over 60 games in my first NBA season and have earned around 30,000 VC.

So almost a fourth of my "paycheck" for the year would have to be sacrificed just to wear a pair of sneakers that I created.

Obviously, no sane person is going to drop 7,500 VC for a cosmetic addition to their player when that same currency also has to be used to upgrade player attributes, unlock signature skills, buy personality badges, etc.

General Manager Moves and Coaching Decisions

It doesn't seem to matter what mode you play in NBA 2K14; there's simply no escaping the game's baffling general manager logic.

The Sacramento Kings should not be spending their lottery pick on my created point guard when the team's roster already includes Isaiah Thomas, Greivis Vasquez and Jimmer Fredette. I became even more dumbfounded when, a few games after their draft blunder, the Kings decided to trade for a fifth point guard, José Calderón. (Editor's note: OK, apparently the Kings like trading in real life, too.)

Coaching logic in NBA 2K14 suffers from just as many problems, as my player won Rookie of the Month multiple times and was leading the league in shooting percentage from day one, but he still had to wait the designated 30 to 40 games before finally "earning" a starting role over underperforming teammates. 

NBA 2K14's coaches also have a bad habit of assigning players to unnatural positions. My 5'10" point guard has logged more minutes as a shooting guard than he has at his natural position, as my coach frequently matches me up against taller, stronger players like Kobe Bryant (6'6") and Dwyane Wade (6'4").

Do you enjoy NBA 2K14's My Career mode, or are the issues deterring you in another direction?

NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 thomasg2488 @ 12/11/13 05:39 AM
Done with it. Can't stand the idiotic logic anymore. Played as a SG for the 1st time ever, told Sacramento to eff off basically, told Detroit to draft me. Ellis gets drafted by the Suns, I get drafted by THE PELICANS. Really? Are you kidding me?

2k, put some logic into your damn My Career mode like I said in my earlier post. I'll stick with Battlefield, Assassin's Creed and Madden.

# 62 VDusen04 @ 12/11/13 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredfish757
Then I play Jackson Ellis on the rooftop and beat him and we became friends and still no interaction with my agent.
This is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard regarding NBA 2K. And I certainly don't mean that as offense to you, redfish. I just mean, I can't believe the state of NBA 2K (and MyPlayer) has us at a point where we're playing against a made-up rival on a rooftop while waiting for a cut-scene interaction from our agent.

# 63 Gosens6 @ 12/11/13 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
This is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard regarding NBA 2K. And I certainly don't mean that as offense to you, redfish. I just mean, I can't believe the state of NBA 2K (and MyPlayer) has us at a point where we're playing against a made-up rival on a rooftop while waiting for a cut-scene interaction from our agent.

Unbelievable when you really put it into perspective right? Does anyone remember when 2K only cared about delivering a true basketball sim?

Sent from the Dungeon Of Doom using Tapatalk

# 64 theredfish757 @ 12/11/13 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
It wasn't about the rooftop play that bothered me, that was cool. I mean in reference to how my agent told me to play well in 10 games (this was still with 15 games left in the season not including the playoffs) and then I would get an endorsement from KIA. The rooftop scene was the last thing that happens before you start the next season.

# 65 RangersCruz @ 12/11/13 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Unbelievable when you really put it into perspective right? Does anyone remember when 2K only cared about delivering a true basketball sim?

Sent from the Dungeon Of Doom using Tapatalk
you mean 8 years ago?

# 66 RangersCruz @ 12/11/13 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredfish757
It wasn't about the rooftop play that bothered me, that was cool. I mean in reference to how my agent told me to play well in 10 games (this was still with 15 games left in the season not including the playoffs) and then I would get an endorsement from KIA. The rooftop scene was the last thing that happens before you start the next season.
is there any scenes after the 1st season?

# 67 jyoung @ 12/11/13 03:19 PM
Quote:
10 games (this was still with 15 games left in the season not including the playoffs) and then I would get an endorsement from KIA.
I had the same issue with the KIA endorsement not showing up.

I had a cutscene about 60 games into the first season where my friend agent said I needed to win at least 6 of the next 10 games to secure a KIA endorsement.

I won 9 of my next 10 games and then never heard anything from my agent or from KIA.

# 68 bmgoff11 @ 12/11/13 04:19 PM
My accessory shop does have sleeves, pads, and other stuff u put on ur my player. What is the deal with that.

# 69 theredfish757 @ 12/11/13 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
is there any scenes after the 1st season?
Yes as soon as it sims the offseason your gm asks you how things are going this season! same bs he always says even though I haven't played a game in my 2nd season. Im getting tired of playing every damn game just for the same old BS.

# 70 Coolade @ 12/12/13 01:22 AM
I got my dunk rating up to 90, and equipped a dunk package, and my player still cant dunk. Does anyone have any suggestions? or is anyone else having this problem?

# 71 JasonMartin @ 12/12/13 05:33 AM
Are you still able to work out/practice certain parts of your game and get skillpoints/VC in reward like they had in 2K11?

Or did they take that out completely?

# 72 emelki1968 @ 12/13/13 12:32 PM
I am done.
For the first time ever I had to sell an NBA2k videogame because I can't play it. The old association and now MyGM is what I always play the most. Now, after four tries I decided to stop. Everysingle time, MyGM stop and freeze with one of the conversation with the trainer (I think). A guy in my office, the music as a background and nothing works. I have to quit shutting down the console. Sorry, but although the gameplay and the graphics are just amazing, I can't play the game, as simple as that.
Sold on Ebay, thank you very much 2K.

# 73 tstig78 @ 12/14/13 01:31 PM
I hope this next patch that is being released addresses playing defense in MyPlayer mode. My rating is 85 for on ball defense and my guy still plays defense like he's on skates.

# 74 JazzMan @ 12/14/13 02:10 PM
I personally like the mode. It gives it a fresh feel to it. Ever since 2k11, it's been the exact same game mode every time with tiny little renovations to it. Everyone was asking for something that would make the mode interesting.

Well, you got it. They gave us storylines, cutscenes, etc., which keep me more interested in the mode than the old way, which was just playing a game and having a press conference afterwards.

I don't really care if it's cartoonish, or hell, I don't even care if some of the games are scripted for me to shoot poorly, because in the past games, I could do just about whatever I wanted on the court every game. This adds a nice variety to it, which in a way, is more realistic.

# 75 da ThRONe @ 12/14/13 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMan
I personally like the mode. It gives it a fresh feel to it. Ever since 2k11, it's been the exact same game mode every time with tiny little renovations to it. Everyone was asking for something that would make the mode interesting.

Well, you got it. They gave us storylines, cutscenes, etc., which keep me more interested in the mode than the old way, which was just playing a game and having a press conference afterwards.

I don't really care if it's cartoonish, or hell, I don't even care if some of the games are scripted for me to shoot poorly, because in the past games, I could do just about whatever I wanted on the court every game. This adds a nice variety to it, which in a way, is more realistic.
I'm certainly never in favor of telling people what they should or shouldn't like. However I take exception to some things in this post.

Adding a story mode bascially locks every player into the samething regardless if thats the story I want to be apart of or not. The minute you do that you turnoff a certain % of players.

For me the story mode kills any replay value. After you played the mode once what's the point of playing it again when you know how everything unfolds?

Scripted events should never effect the results of gameplay.

At this point there are very few things that are realistic about this mode. IMO the only unrealstic aspect of MyPlayer should be the fact that I'm adding myself to the game. That where the fantasy aspect should start and end.

# 76 VDusen04 @ 12/15/13 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMan

Like da Throne, I completely respect your personal preference in enjoying the mode.

However, I'm not sure if it's completely accurate to sum up people's MyCareer requests as, "Everyone was asking for something that would make this mode interesting. Well, you got it." I do not subscribe to the, "Add anything you want, as long as it's different" policy. I feel there were a lot of ways people felt MyCareer could have been improved within the scope of an NBA basketball simulation title, but I'm not sure that included forced linear storylines and player mimes.

Quote:
Again, regarding your personal preference, I have absolutely no issue. Still, I'm not sure I'd agree that scripts forcing one to shoot poorly could be construed as being more realistic. I believe there's a right way to introduce variety and a bad way. I feel scripts would fall into the latter.

# 77 RangersCruz @ 12/15/13 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I'm certainly never in favor of telling people what they should or shouldn't like. However I take exception to some things in this post.

Adding a story mode bascially locks every player into the samething regardless if thats the story I want to be apart of or not. The minute you do that you turnoff a certain % of players.

For me the story mode kills any replay value. After you played the mode once what's the point of playing it again when you know how everything unfolds?

Scripted events should never effect the results of gameplay.

At this point there are very few things that are realistic about this mode. IMO the only unrealstic aspect of MyPlayer should be the fact that I'm adding myself to the game. That where the fantasy aspect should start and end.
Well in the past years just go into the showcase and game after game
Win a ring and then what? its pretty much it boring and not even worth wasting time on it

I like this yrs new MyCareer mode which i was surprised they even switched it up for Next gen it could have been done much better take out the showcase put you through college for 1-2 seasons or have a option to play over in europe or somewhere else then come into the draft as a top prospect

# 78 da ThRONe @ 12/15/13 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
Well in the past years just go into the showcase and game after game
Win a ring and then what? its pretty much it boring and not even worth wasting time on it

I like this yrs new MyCareer mode which i was surprised they even switched it up for Next gen it could have been done much better take out the showcase put you through college for 1-2 seasons or have a option to play over in europe or somewhere else then come into the draft as a top prospect
Hey MyPlayer has been the only mode I've played the past 2 or 3 years. I'm not sure if there's a person here that was more frustrated with how stagnant the mode had gotten. However there's a laundry list of things that should have been in the game and IMO a scripted fairtale theme should have been on that list.

They could have expanded on player roles that alone would have done wonders for the mode. Not to mention the one feature that's a must for me and that's natural progression.

# 79 terome1 @ 01/07/14 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst31
My 5'10" point guard has logged more minutes as a shooting guard than he has at his natural position, as my coach frequently matches me up against taller, stronger players like Kobe Bryant (6'6") and Dwyane Wade (6'4").

This could just be because the team is overloaded with pgs and there are only 2 sgs.
my point guard (6'2) got moved to starting center guess how fun that is (PS3) it basically broke it for me

# 80 BA2929 @ 01/07/14 09:16 PM
I enjoy this mode with all the cut scenes. However, the replay-ability is about zero, since each player you make has the same rival, same cut scenes, the same agent, etc. Also, I'm not a fan of how the game forces you to suck at certain intervals of the season. Like "you're going to suck at FTs this game for the cutscene" or "You're going to shoot 24% this game so we can cut scene in a drill".

I do enjoy 95% of the rest of the cut-scenes and actually find myself disappointed when a cut-scene doesn't happen after a big game I just finished.

Pretty good job for the first game on a new console. Lots of room to build from here.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.