Home
Feature Article
MLB 14 The Show: Wrapping Up Yesterday

Nothing can help end the winter doldrums quite like two things: the phrase "pitchers and catchers report" and information on the latest edition of MLB: The Show.

We got both of those this week, as well as another winter storm here in the Northeast. The disappointing delay of both versions of MLB 14:The Show, along with never-ending snow make it seem as if Spring will never get here.

While we wait, here are some of my quick reactions as I perused the information released today:

• Yes, the May release of the PS4 version is really a bummer. What's more, May isn't specific--so there's a chance we won't get a next-gen Show until nearly June.
  • Equally disappointing is the delayed release of the PS3 version. It has become almost a ritual for me to stop by a game store on the first Tuesday in March to pick up The Show. However, I hope both delays allow Sony to create two great (nearly bug-free) titles.
  • It's clear to me from the trailer that the graphics for PS3 won't--and can't--get much better. The game still looks good, but anyone expecting much more than an enhanced feature set and gameplay tuning might be disappointed. Lots of similar animations were all over the place.
  • Speaking of new features, the generated counts is a big one for me. With job demands and a kid in the house, its hard for me to play a full season without simming. I'm hoping the addition of generated counts allows me to maximize my gaming time. Plus, I have a feeling it will reduce the number of user strikeouts and increase walks--leading to more realistic stats.
  • Also helping me to complete seasons are the year-to-year and cross-platform saves. Has there been another console sports title that offered year-to-year saves? This seems like it could be a bigger deal than I now realize.
  • Online franchises have never been that appealing to me, outside of text sims. However, it is a welcome addition for many. The catch: Online play, historically the biggest weakness of this series, will definitely need to be improved from years past.
  • For me, Community Challenges will probably fall into the same category as Diamond Dynasty and the weekly challenge offered by Sony: features I seldom use after the first month. I suppose all new additions are welcomed, but I don't quite see the appeal--unless users really generate some great and authentic historical scenarios. I'd gladly try to rewrite the ending of the '93 World Series.
  • Speaking of Diamond Dynasty, this has always seemed like a mode I should enjoy, but never end up playing. I think that the combination of a clunky uniform editor, no name players, and the integration of subpar online play has made this mode too much of a hassle to enjoy. I'll be curious to see if the addition of Extra Innings--the ability to download and play user teams offline--will increase my enjoyment.
  • Stubs. Ramone Russell says "i's not what people are afraid of," and I'll take him at his word. It would be hard for them to screw up microtransactions to the degree that NBA 2K14 did, and, if the system is similar what was offered in the past, I'm not worried. The Show has implemented these transactions unobtrusively and they were never required. I didn't buy stuff in the past, and am glad it seems I won't need to this year.
  • Player Lock...eh. I guess this just extends the play of Road to the Show to any mode. Look, I felt the RttS mode was greatly improved last year--so much that I played it almost as much as the franchise mode. But I think the appeal was in the narrative of my own player. I'm not sure I'll want to do that with an existing MLB star. Again, this addition may not be for me, but it shouldn't break anything or otherwise hinder my enjoyment; as such, it's a welcome new feature.
  • Finally, the PS4 screenshots look outstanding, especially when you compare them side-by-side with PS3 screenshots/graphics. It's not a massive leap, but it's one that'll certainly be noticeable come 'May'.

I'm extremely excited for a PS4 version of The Show. Spring (and May) can't get here soon enough.

Stay warm everyone!

MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 BSUFAN @ 02/14/14 11:07 AM
Awesome, can't wait till May !!!

# 2 aguero90 @ 02/14/14 11:14 AM
Nice roundup! I'm very interested to hear how the conversation between broadcasters improved. Sound is the biggest factor in this game for me, being visually impaired. Not just commentary, but sounds of hits and all the other on-field audio.

# 3 HustlinOwl @ 02/14/14 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke99
Nice Write up, Overall the consensus seems to be - Somewhat dissapointed
Said it before and ill keep saying it, The team needs to stop plugging Diamond Dynasty and just give us create a team already.
DD is their version of Ultimate Team and as long as people continue to purchase training points for their team etc its not going anywhere

# 4 BigBadTom @ 02/14/14 01:25 PM
All good news so far, I think a game finished is better than rushed though so I am fine with the release date

# 5 Cowboy008 @ 02/14/14 01:36 PM
It all sounds good so far I can't wait to hear everything else they have done.

# 6 mosdef328 @ 02/14/14 02:07 PM
This will be my first year ever playing The Show, I am a 360 convert. This game more then any other is the reason I bought a PS4. All of this news has me really excited.

# 7 metsfan4life1 @ 02/14/14 04:39 PM
I have never understood what is so fun about creating a team (Dimaond Dynasty).. We get the game to play with MLB teams. Why do we want to make up teams and have fake
Players on them or stack up the team with superstars. I've never found that fun. Then again, I'm a pretty standard person.

# 8 dallas0112 @ 02/14/14 04:55 PM
If you ever played MVP then maybe you would see that building a stadium was a blast. Also, being able to change the mow pattern, it's all just little things really, but it made it fresh and fun, IMO.

# 9 snaz16 @ 02/14/14 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdef328
This will be my first year ever playing The Show, I am a 360 convert. This game more then any other is the reason I bought a PS4. All of this news has me really excited.
Hopefully you have a 1080p tv or monitor,and your wait will be longer than usual,but I got the feeling your going to say to yourself...should have gotten a ps3. Can't wait to fire this puppy up on my 52" Panny plasma!

# 10 AntiBandwagoner @ 02/14/14 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdef328
Exact same situation for me. Always have felt like I've been missing out on the greatness that is MLB The Show.

News has me excited.

# 11 metsfan4life1 @ 02/14/14 06:46 PM
@dallas0112
I played that game up until 2008 on the GameCube.. Best baseball game in my opinion.. I made (tried) to make Citi Field. I loved that game. And yes, it wasn't until late 2008 until I got a 360 and then a PS3 summer of 2010.

# 12 DodgerBlue65 @ 02/15/14 12:50 AM
This game is a big reason I bought a PS4. After finding out that the PS4 would be the only console that would have a Baseball game it made my choice very easy. I can't wait to see the finished product. Hopefully there will not be anymore delays. May get here quick.

# 13 Stroehms @ 02/15/14 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan4life1
I have never understood what is so fun about creating a team (Dimaond Dynasty).. We get the game to play with MLB teams. Why do we want to make up teams and have fake
Players on them or stack up the team with superstars. I've never found that fun. Then again, I'm a pretty standard person.

I like to take my Fantasy baseball league, replicate the teams and my friends and I play mini tournaments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 14 cardinalbird5 @ 02/15/14 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke99
As it shouldn't, more so for their sake. Those kinds of modes serve as a purpose or else most sports games wouldn't have them. However other sports tittles also have create a team for franchise/season, and they don't seem to mind. Then again maybe SCEA believes theyre ahead of the curve and who can blame them really. Just sucks when Money conquers all (fun in this case)
DD is a cash cow, but once again MUT and MyTeam people spend way way more money. I know people on MUT that spend 200+ dollars yearly on packs.

I know very few people that play DD religiously that have spent over 10 bucks on DD.

I give props to SCEA as they made DD more skill based than a "pay to win" mentality. Go play MUT off the bat and you face guys who've spent 100+ dollars with 99 overall teams. DD has a nice balance to it.

Sorry to interfere, I just feel like DD is being stereotyped once again when I know a lot of people really haven't even gave it a chance.

I'd be curious to see the transaction receipts as I bet RTTS training points would possibly sell more than DD budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan4life1
Because of its variety and customization for me. Plus add in the management, online head to head, etc. and it does a little bit of everything for me.

I enjoy franchise, online leagues, and online rated as well. DD kind of offers all of those aspects into one singular mode. It is addicting and fun.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people only strictly play COTW, Franchise, or RTTS and I could not pertain myself to play only one mode.

"Speaking of Diamond Dynasty, this has always seemed like a mode I should enjoy, but never end up playing. I think that the combination of a clunky uniform editor, no name players, and the integration of subpar online play has made this mode too much of a hassle to enjoy. I'll be curious to see if the addition of Extra Innings--the ability to download and play user teams offline--will increase my enjoyment."

Geez this seems like a very uninformed statement.

Clunky editor uniform, fake players, and subpar online intergration play? What?? Sounds like someone barely touched DD. They probably created a team and didn't take the time to create a good logo or uniforms, played one online game and judged the entire mode based off one game.

# 15 KennyJ1976 @ 02/15/14 03:00 PM
I wonder do they finally have name brand equipment like shoes, bats, and gloves in The Show this year? All sports games besides baseball have name brand equipment in the game. What are they waiting on?

# 16 Factzzz @ 02/15/14 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyJ1976
I wonder do they finally have name brand equipment like shoes, bats, and gloves in The Show this year? All sports games besides baseball have name brand equipment in the game. What are they waiting on?
I'm honestly never expecting to see this in the Show, and i've come to terms with that, and if one year they are in game then i'd be more than happy.

Some people think it's because of the money, i think it's for some other reason we aren't told. Maybe we'll keep seeing small thing like the nike under shirt but as far full blown brand name equipment, i doubt we see that for awhile if ever.

# 17 JHedges2 @ 02/15/14 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiBandwagoner
Exact same situation for me. Always have felt like I've been missing out on the greatness that is MLB The Show.

News has me excited.
Likewise. My wife surprised me tonight with a PS4 for my birthday--and her sister pre-ordered The Show. Can't wait for May!

# 18 PadresFan @ 02/15/14 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMan350Z
Likewise. My wife surprised me tonight with a PS4 for my birthday--and her sister pre-ordered The Show. Can't wait for May!
Congrats man and happy b-day... Sounds like you married into an amazing family.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

# 19 Jcioffi21 @ 02/16/14 01:06 PM
Any news on their offline franchise mode? Did they add anything new to it?

# 20 eaw913 @ 02/16/14 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcioffi21
Any news on their offline franchise mode? Did they add anything new to it?
You'll find out Monday.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.