Home
Feature Article
Rory McIlroy PGA Tour: Tour Pro Mode Reactions (Roundtable)

We learned a lot about the Tour Pro Mode in Rory McIlroy PGA Tour yesterday, including the inclusion of three potential backstories for your character. What we don't know is how big of an impact those back stories will play in your Golfer's career. The rest of the mode sounds pretty reasonable as well, but let's get some reactions from our writers.

What do you all think of Rory McIlroy PGA Tour's career mode?

Glenn Wigmore: This career offering definitely brings some requested features to the forefront — rotating apparel, fully customizable bags / club selection, quick rounds — but it does sounds like a fairly standard career offering. To be fair, some of what works in the NBA 2K franchise wouldn't transfer over to here, but the concept of picking your golfer's background appears to be quite embryonic. It's hard to see what impact any of that would really have on your "story," other than some modified attributes and a bit of commentary.

Honestly, the setup for the career mode sounds basic in the way that EA Sports UFC did, with an authentic but simplified qualifying process and some loose sense of career progression. The problem was that EA Sports UFC's career mode was lacking on depth and details. Hopefully that isn't the case here.

The ability to customize everything about your player is welcome, though, and being able to complete tournaments in one-quarter of the time that it would usually take is really appealing for those who just don't have the time. I'm optimistic that the XP system will be balanced in a fair way (ha!) to avoid users having to slog away for hours just to achieve some basic unlocks.

I really admire a lot of the things that The Golf Club did last year, and hopefully PGA Tour has learned some of those lessons as well — especially when it comes to difficulty, control and user-created content. E3 isn't far away now, so we'll be getting some hands-on time with this one then.

Ben Vollmer: PGA Tour has some awfully big shoes to fill in the customization part of their upcoming game, given how The Golf Club pushed all the right buttons in that department. With that in mind, it's good to see things like customizable bags and apparel being prioritized, along with RPG elements that should keep things unique.

Going along with what Glenn said, it's all a matter of how big of a role things like your golfer's background are. Will it get a mention or two as you play through a round, or will it figure in as a integral part of how you can build your character? I'm guessing the former, but it would be a nice surprise if EA is able to implement it in a way where it actually feels meaningful rather than just superficial - as things like player background tend to be, in sports games.

One thing that I found odd was the mention of skills having the ability to be switched around on a whim. Being able to edit your player's abilities before playing on a course doesn't seem like a bad idea (and hey, more options for the user is always a good thing), but something like that is far from realistic. I'd almost prefer having to live with your decisions, as some courses are tailor-made for specific skill sets. Again, this is easily avoidable since it seems customizable.

At the end of the day, golf fans can sit back and relax, because competition is finally back. It will be interesting to see how far EA pushes the customizable aspects of the mode, something I'm sure we'll have a better idea of after E3.

Chris Sanner: As the other two guys have said, the three back stories all sound interesting and could be a great way to have a varied experience playing the career mode. Everything, to me, hinges on that as far as how much longevity the gameplay has.

Another thing I definitely do like is the character customization options and the rotating equipment potential there. While The Golf Club nailed customization, I have a feeling EA will give that area of the game a good bit of polish as well (sans the course creation potential).

The rest of the mode sounds pretty standard fare. You'll earn XP to upgrade your golfer and try to get so good you dominate the tour. Nothing sticks out as far as what's being offered in that regard, but I am curious to see what kind of interactivity each tournament brings to the table. Are you going to know what's going on elsewhere? Are leaderboards going to update in somewhat real time? Will you be paired with fellow tournament leaders on the last day of events?

All good question we'll know more about in time. One final thing I definitely don't want to go unnoticed is the quick rounds feature. It will be interesting to see how the simulation logic works there -- as I have a feeling you'll likely always be somewhat in the mix with that, which seems a bit unrealistic. But I'll wait and see before passing judgement.

Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Videos
Member Comments
# 1 GrandMaster B @ 05/29/15 05:34 PM
There should be a multi-player component to this don't you think. Playing against A.I. golfers in career mode is getting old. And you are not really playing against them anyways, just their made up scores.

# 2 DivotMaker @ 05/29/15 05:48 PM
Quote:
Ben Vollmer: PGA Tour has some awfully big shoes to fill in the customization part of their upcoming game, given how The Golf Club pushed all the right buttons in that department.
Quote:
Chris Sanner: While The Golf Club nailed customization, I have a feeling EA will give that area of the game a good bit of polish as well (sans the course creation potential).
Huh? If you are talking about GNCD and courses, yes, I agree. As far as customizing anything else, TGC is awfully short on customizations and IMO hit very few of the right buttons there. Am I missing something here? I play TGC daily and see very FEW ways to customize anything.

# 3 jbd345 @ 05/29/15 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Huh? If you are talking about GNCD and courses, yes, I agree. As far as customizing anything else, TGC is awfully short on customizations and IMO hit very few of the right buttons there. Am I missing something here? I play TGC daily and see very FEW ways to customize anything.
Same here. Outside of courses it's just what you want to wear at that point. No porgression for your golfer (which I'm a fan of) and no customization for clubs, same generic set.

# 4 ChaseB @ 05/29/15 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
Same here. Outside of courses it's just what you want to wear at that point. No porgression for your golfer (which I'm a fan of) and no customization for clubs, same generic set.
Yeah I agree with you fellas. The course customization is tight, but there's plenty there outside of it that is still ripe. Perhaps it's what they were talking about and just are putting them together like you said.

# 5 OnlookerDelay @ 05/30/15 12:20 AM
It would be easy to get a little confused about what's being discussed regarding "Tour Pro" Mode in this game. They already have what is called a Tour Pro difficulty in terms of swing interface, yet this article is focused on an offline career mode. I've never been drawn in for long in any of the previous Tiger Woods series game's career modes. I didn't get much of a sense that I was playing against anything of substance, as in season mode, it boiled down to me playing against a spread sheet. I never got to see any of the other golfers in the tournaments, even the dozen or more featured pros.

So far I haven't seen much here to indicate there will be anything different, other than the fact that you'll have a caddy doing what you'd expect a caddy to be doing in a PGA Tour event. I'm still hoping that we'll at least have the option to play with one of the featured pros, when desired. I know some of the earlier screen shots showed another golfer and their caddy. For some reason, there's something rather empty feeling about playing in a tournament, yet you never see any other golfers in your own group, let alone on adjacent holes, or up ahead of you on the green. I'm hoping EA is going to move the meter forward a bit in this area than they've already shown us with RMPGAT.

# 6 Battman @ 05/30/15 02:46 AM
I play every TGCTours tournament. I love this game. EA totally lost me as a costumer.

# 7 turbineseaplane @ 05/30/15 11:06 AM
What are these guys talking about?

Other than courses in TGC (60,000+ and most are auto-gen garbage)... I can't even remember a "less customizable" golf game than TGC (you'd have to go back to the 90's)

# 8 BenGerman @ 05/30/15 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Should have clarified: while I agree TGC has a lot to improve on in player customization, being able to design my own courses in such a manner is a huge plus, for me (and likely Chris). The Golf Club feels like the experience I want to create, rather than the one they give me - something that I get the feeling EA is pushing with this tour mode.

# 9 DivotMaker @ 05/30/15 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
Should have clarified: while I agree TGC has a lot to improve on in player customization, being able to design my own courses in such a manner is a huge plus, for me (and likely Chris). The Golf Club feels like the experience I want to create, rather than the one they give me - something that I get the feeling EA is pushing with this tour mode.
Fair enough, thanks for clarifying. At least now we have competition in the Golf market and I'm thrilled to have more than one game to play since I am not interested in design nor do I have the time for it. Courses (quantity) is currently the only real advantage TGC will have other than pricing and those aren't insignificant. Anxious for EA's E3 Golf presentation so we can compare facts and features between both instead of speculation. Gameplay options will be a huge difference maker as well.

# 10 BenGerman @ 05/30/15 04:50 PM
Definitely! The more options the better. I'm always hesitant to criticize having more options, even when I think the option is a bit silly (like being able to customize your abilities before you play a certain course). All the same, I'm really excited to see how the game looks. Ultimately, I think, most of us will be happy if the game plays a solid round of golf.

# 11 tonybologna @ 06/04/15 04:00 PM
I wished this game would have been released for PS3 too. Not everybody has moved onto next gen in the PS4 & XBox One. I mean I can understand certain game series discontinuing on the PS3/360 but this as a new game should have at least been released for the 1st year on PS3/360.

I guess it was a business decision though. I guess golf games are no more on current gen. I'm not quite ready to bite the bullet & move up to PS4/XBox One myself. Disappointed that we don't have the option of getting this game for PS3/360.

# 12 grahamc @ 06/05/15 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybologna
I wished this game would have been released for PS3 too. Not everybody has moved onto next gen in the PS4 & XBox One. I mean I can understand certain game series discontinuing on the PS3/360 but this as a new game should have at least been released for the 1st year on PS3/360.

I guess it was a business decision though. I guess golf games are no more on current gen. I'm not quite ready to bite the bullet & move up to PS4/XBox One myself. Disappointed that we don't have the option of getting this game for PS3/360.
But PS4/XB1 aren't 'next-gen' - they're current gen. They've been around for 18 months or so, so I'm not quite sure how long people expect companies to cover both platforms at extra expense?

There's no way that the PS3/360 could handle the engine and graphics of the game, so they'd essentially be having to make four different versions of the game. Not gonna happen.

# 13 tonybologna @ 06/06/15 05:57 PM
You're right guys! I wasn't thinking about this being a totally new game. I was thinking about the continuation of Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf series. This alone makes it not a good candidate for last gen consoles. I wish it was different though. Thanks!

# 14 pietasterp @ 06/18/15 04:22 PM
Are there really people who ask for / play these modes extensively? I feel like a "story mode" in a golf game is about the last thing anyone would be interested in, but maybe I'm wrong.

# 15 kehlis @ 06/18/15 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Are there really people who ask for / play these modes extensively? I feel like a "story mode" in a golf game is about the last thing anyone would be interested in, but maybe I'm wrong.

A career mode is the only thing I'm interested in.

# 16 pietasterp @ 06/18/15 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
A career mode is the only thing I'm interested in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
A career mode is a franchise mode for golf. The sport is tailor made for a really in depth career mode.
OK, I stand corrected. I just didn't equate the description (as I read it) with a 'career' mode, I thought it seemed like more of an RPG mini-game shell. Maybe those two are one and the same.

Honestly, for me, a career mode basically needs to consist of a season of play in an infinite loop, with stat-tracking. For a sports game, I'm not particularly interested in a background story or anything else.

# 17 kehlis @ 06/18/15 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
OK, I stand corrected. I just didn't equate the description (as I read it) with a 'career' mode, I thought it seemed like more of an RPG mini-game shell. Maybe those two are one and the same.

Honestly, for me, a career mode basically needs to consist of a season of play in an infinite loop, with stat-tracking. For a sports game, I'm not particularly interested in a background story or anything else.

Maybe it's semantics and I don't want any crazy RPG elements. I always hated how your golfer progressed in the past so quickly. I shouldn't be able to add 100 yards to my drive in the course of a year.

I just want to play as a golfer over multiple years with subtle progressions and regressions.

Web.com would be okay but really don't care one way or the other.

I just like playing in a series of tournaments with an actual purpose in them.

# 18 jpmales88 @ 06/29/15 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
It can be involving without having to add a cheezy story to it. Just have a career mode where you start off as a teenager, work your way through the amateurs and become a professional the way it's done in real life. Go thru the minor league tours in an attempt to qualify for the PGA tour properly not the way EA did it where you played a year and automatically qualified for the PGA.

You throw in additional factors like injuries from playing too many tourneys and money issues which may force you to play lesser tourneys because you can't afford entrance fees or the travel expenses to play at a certain venue. If you play a tourney in the U.S. and then want to cross the Atlantic to play the very next week, it may leave you susceptible to injury or just affect your attributes in conditioning because of the long travel, So if you became a PGA pro, you have to set your schedule where you takes weeks off at a time so you don't burn yourself out by playing weekly and across continents. Just like in real life.

You spend money for swing coaches, caddies and training facilities so the amount you win in a tourney becomes very important as it may not allow you to play the next tourney because you're nearly broke. You may be forced to go play a skins tournament somewhere for extra cash or be forced to go through qualifiers to play the bigger tourneys (like the US open) before you can get good enough to be a high ranking pro. And that's just off the top of my head. There lots of directions you can go with it that would have you playing for months.

If you paired that concept with some killer presentation like MLB the Show, this game would double its sales easily because it would have massive replayablilty.

Unfortunately EA focus thier resources on crap like the Night Club and Tiger Modes in the past games even though thier "telemetrics" tell them that 90% of the game is played offline. That means they must be playing career mode but get bored after a week because it is so shallow, No wonder sales are tanking.
I like what you are saying.... all of that sounds awesome! basically a dream game tho i doubt that will ever happen.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.