Home
Feature Article
The Best and Worst Madden NFL 16 Uniforms

The NFL season has finally begun, and by now, all the Madden junkies have had ample time to gobble up the game. Now we’re in the digestion period where opinions are being formed and potential improvements to Madden 17 are already being thought about. So in order to break up the tension a bit, it’s time to discuss what really matters: uniforms. Here is a light-hearted, please-don’t-take-this-too-personally-or-seriously look at the three best and worst uniforms in Madden 16.

Top 3

Arizona Cardinals - Official Alternate

Maybe it’s the simplicity. Maybe it’s the intimidation factor. I don’t know what it is, but there’s something about an all-black uniform that strikes me. Primary black with secondary colors red and white play nice together here, with nothing feeling out of place or unwanted. The standard helmet works well here with the all-black uniform, with the Cardinal itself adding a nice touch of red. Nicely done, Arizona.

St. Louis Rams - Official Alternate Classic

Are you kidding me? Where do I sign up? The thought of being able to one day wear this jersey is almost enough to get me to try and walk-on to an NFL team one day. Yellow pants have no business working in any circumstance. And they barely get a passing grade here, but for some reason, it works well with this particular shade of blue. And that helmet? Come on! That might be my favorite helmet in the entire game. Big thumbs up here, St. Louis. Perhaps one day you’ll once again field a team that lives up to the greatness of these jerseys.

Baltimore Ravens - Official Alternate

I suppose I’m showing my hand here a bit, because this uniform does follow the same pattern as the Cardinals’ official alternate uniform. But Baltimore took things a step further with the all-black theme. Aside from the white numbers, black is really the only color you see. And much like Arizona’s, the Ravens’ logo blends well with the colors in this uniform. Purple and black is a great color combination in any context, but in football? Even better.

Bottom 3

Cincinnati Bengals - Official Alternate

Here’s a serious question. If the Bengals had to design a Halloween-themed uniform, what would they do differently? If you asked a 4-year-old child to color a picture of a football uniform, it’d probably look something like this. Orange, black and white are intermingling with no rhyme or reason whatsoever. This is actually a great color combination, so how the Bengals managed to butcher this one so bad, I’ll never know. Football fans and the spirit of Halloween both deserve better.

Miami Dolphins - Home Alternate

It’s not that this design is too simple. As you saw earlier, I reward simplicity. It’s just that the color they used to celebrate simplicity was...not the right choice. Find a big enough lineman churning along in this thing and it will look like an aquarium is marching down the field. Also, spoiler alert: an aquatic teal-ish color does not mesh well with orange. People love to visit Miami, but more bad decisions such as this uniform will reverse that trend in a hurry.

Pittsburgh Steelers - Official Alternate Classic

WARNING: This image may cause dry heaving. So this style was apparently a thing back in 1933, which sort of makes you feel grateful that color television held out until the '50s. You have to wonder about the people who green-lit this design back in the day and what other decisions they made that negatively impacted others. The fact that the Steelers brought this back into relevance has to fall under the “it’s so bad, it’s good” category. Simply put, folks who use this jersey online should have to spot their opponent a touchdown.

Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 SmashMan @ 09/16/15 11:42 AM
No love for the mysterious orange alternate pants for the Bears?

I might have added the Jets' blue/gold AFL Titans throwbacks. Not sure why, but for some reason I really like the way that uniform looks.

# 2 CM Hooe @ 09/16/15 11:45 AM
This list is null and void because it does not include the Cleveland Browns' new uniforms amongst the worst.

# 3 BadAssHskr @ 09/16/15 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
This list is null and void because it does not include the Cleveland Browns' new uniforms amongst the worst.
i thought they were way cool. a vote yes for the brown uni's from me.

# 4 Datninja619 @ 09/16/15 11:56 AM
I'm guessing the Charger powder blues were #4

I've also liked the all black uniforms for the ravens and cardinals

# 5 Jadakiss88 @ 09/16/15 12:26 PM
I'm actually like the Bill's Anniversary Jerseys...part of the reason I always start a Franchise with them is to wear the Anniversary Jerseys in October it blends so well with the pink accessories....LMAO...no but seriously I love those Jerseys.

# 6 hogfanhw81 @ 09/16/15 12:39 PM
I haven't looked to see if it is actually in the game, but if it is, the new BFBS 49ers alternate is horrible.

# 7 Cardot @ 09/16/15 12:51 PM
I grew up watching football in the late 70's/Early 80's where most teams had a distinct look to them. So I kind of like those Dolphin & Bengals unis mentioned here. These days, so many teams go with the dark blue or black, it is tougher to tell teams apart with a quick glance.

# 8 hogfanhw81 @ 09/16/15 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I grew up watching football in the late 70's/Early 80's where most teams had a distinct look to them. So I kind of like those Dolphin & Bengals unis mentioned here. These days, so many teams go with the dark blue or black, it is tougher to tell teams apart with a quick glance.
I know that is the reason behind many current rules re: alternate jerseys in pro football (outside of player safety forbidding teams like the Bucs from wearing their creamsicle alternate completely). The NFL wants you to be able to turn on a game and recognize that its the Cowboys, Jets, Giants, Eagles, etc. playing.

# 9 DeuceDouglas @ 09/16/15 01:07 PM
I know my bottom three would be the Browns, Jaguars and Seahawks with the Bucs coming in close.

As for top three, I'd go with the Falcons red helmet, black jersey throwbacks and the 49ers 94 throwbacks. Then for a current uniform I'll just go full bias and say the Chiefs.

# 10 IlluminatusUIUC @ 09/16/15 01:28 PM
The Ravens all-blacks are nice, but otherwise the all-black trend is really, really boring. Boo 49ers.

Anyway, I don't think any list of ugliest uniforms is complete without mentioning the Titans. They are so ungodly bad, and they are sitting on the glorious Houston Oilers uniforms, which forced the Texans to have their own ugly uniforms and silly name. Ruining two franchises at once is a feat.

# 11 azdawgpound @ 09/16/15 01:38 PM
Bucs, hawks, jags as worst

I like the browns jerseys alot for longest ppl were saying they needed to be updated atleast they didn't go the digital clock number which I think looks dumb.

# 12 jeremym480 @ 09/16/15 01:58 PM
The Bills, Titans (Oilers really), Pats and Chargers AFL uniforms are easily the best. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly wrong.

# 13 hogfanhw81 @ 09/16/15 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
The Ravens all-blacks are nice, but otherwise the all-black trend is really, really boring. Boo 49ers.

Anyway, I don't think any list of ugliest uniforms is complete without mentioning the Titans. They are so ungodly bad, and they are sitting on the glorious Houston Oilers uniforms, which forced the Texans to have their own ugly uniforms and silly name. Ruining two franchises at once is a feat.

And the Titans can't decide if light blue or dark blue is going to be the primary color from year to year.

# 14 Anaxamander @ 09/16/15 02:47 PM
Best:

Kansas City Chiefs
Green Bay Packers
Pittsburgh Steelers
Oakland Raiders
Buffalo Bills

Worst:

Jacksonville Jaguars
Cleveland Browns
Tennessee Titans
Cincinnati Bengals
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

# 15 jimbobbowles @ 09/16/15 03:58 PM
Someone likes black.

# 16 DBMcGee3 @ 09/16/15 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC

Really? I think those 9ers black uniforms are the jam, especially with those gold helmets popping in the light. They stole the idea obviously, but I think theirs actually look better than Baltimore's.

# 17 Ruben2424 @ 09/16/15 04:16 PM
The ugliest uniforms in the entire league are those hideous new Tampa Bay Buccaneers uniforms! Those things are by far the ugliest! Not only do they not fit the theme (pirates) of the team, but the colors are pretty bad as well. Orange, red, and a brownish-grayish-blackish color with chromed out helmets...if that's not ugly, I don't know what is!

Oh and I almost forgot...those digital Alarm-clock numbers!!! LOL

# 18 Phobia @ 09/16/15 04:29 PM
Speaking of rivaling those old Pitt Unis

# 19 k9nineseguel6 @ 09/16/15 06:00 PM
I wish EA would get the socks of the Bears,Lions,Redskins,Bills and Chiefs right for once!!!!!!

# 20 franchise10 @ 09/16/15 06:31 PM
I wonder why the 49ers early 2000's uniforms T.O. jeff garcia era weren't added,there best in my opinion

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.