Home
Feature Article
Why I love Madden NFL 16's Connected Franchise

Most modes in the world of sports video games have seemingly gravitated towards being online, and in most cases, rightfully so. The days of getting together and playing cards until the wee hours of the morning is slowly fading away. It's now being replaced by people hanging in an online party playing games together until those same late hours. The reasons are simple, and honestly, not that hard to understand. It’s much easier for us as gamers to connect to friends that are spread across the country rather than trying to get together all in one place, at the same time.

With that in mind, there are some great online modes in the sports genre these days, and Madden 16 is no different. While Madden offers multiple online modes, the one that seems to occupy almost all of my time is the connected online franchise mode, and the word 'occupy' may not be a strong enough word.

I am currently involved in a full 32-team CFM with Madden 16, and while the games obviously take center stage, what is so great about this mode is what takes place behind the scenes. All of us use a social chat app so that we are connected literally almost every minute of the day. While I may not know every single one of these men or have met them all in real life, I have met many of them. When we are not using choice words and phrases to discuss the lack of skills that some seem not to possess, we are creating fictional trade scenarios, looking at future games, possible playoff scenarios, and much more (some of which cannot be mentioned).

On top of using the social app, we also utilize an online website called DaddyLeagues.com that allows us all to jump online, look at stats, look at standings, box scores and advance the league at any given time. Now of course most of this information can be found in-game, or even on the website that EA provides for all of its online connected franchises -- to be honest, it doesn’t matter what your approach is as it all works. With Madden 15 we made it through seven seasons, and played it up until the week of Madden 16's release. We will most likely do the same with this year’s iteration.

On top of all the games, the trade chatter, playoff scenarios and basic shenanigans, we also have the draft and the offseason moves. I am here to say that doing a live 32-person draft online is some of the best times I have ever experienced. We have guys that have spreadsheets, databases and much more in regards to readying themselves for the chance to make their team better.

As with any online league, the more people you have, the better it is. It’s incumbent on the league GM to find the right type of people that mesh well together. While there are some great times to be had, there are also some heated moments that, if not handled properly, can literally destroy a league from within. There has to be mutual respect, not only for the other players in the league, but for the game itself. Our league utilizes a set of rules, but we mostly rely on our league members to not take advantage of the shortcomings of the game while treating each other with respect. Although that may be hard task to accomplish, I would say it’s almost a must if you want to have any type of longevity and continuity in regards to your online league.

So while the Madden franchise -- and CFM as a mode in general -- has some areas it still needs to clean up, what the developers have given the community in terms of connectivity is actually quite amazing. It may be fashionable to knock EA for the issues that some of their games possess, but the developers have also given the community the ability the come together and do something that would have seemed straight out of a science fiction movie when I first started gaming 20 years ago.

In short, I highly suggest you try to find a good online league and throw yourself into it -- it truly is a game changer.

How has your online CFM experience gone so far with Madden 16?

Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 AMSchieffer @ 11/11/15 02:10 PM
I have always preferred the solo-Franchise route but this article had some interesting comments related to the ability of Madden to bring people together socially. Although it did seem like much of what was used to interact was not actually attributable to Madden itself.

# 2 Fusker @ 11/11/15 02:33 PM
Conceptually I agree, but the reality for me wasn't even close, with Madden at least. I was in on-line leagues the last two years, but can't bring myself to do it this year specifically because of the humans.

# 3 NDAlum @ 11/11/15 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusker
Conceptually I agree, but the reality for me wasn't even close, with Madden at least. I was in on-line leagues the last two years, but can't bring myself to do it this year specifically because of the humans.
If you have a group of members who aren't on the same page you'll never have a league succeed. There needs to be a common league philosophy and all members have to stand by it.

It's much harder than you would think, but it can be done.

# 4 Fusker @ 11/11/15 02:40 PM
In theory, sure.

My experience however has been that 6-8 teams are constantly in flux with new owners...very hard to get 32 humans that all play nice. Beyond that, scheduling of games is easily the biggest pet peeve of mine. Squeezes the joy out of it.

# 5 vc3616 @ 11/11/15 03:24 PM
Nothing you mentioned has anything to do with madden daddy leagues etc all seperate cfm as a whole is terrible to be honest its pretty basic nothing to keep me interested, the scheme ratings kills the game a 74 ovr player becomes a 83 overall that player gets more money in free agency a 83 ovr player turns to a 74 gets less money plus you can never tell what your players true rating is.

In offline teams dont follow any kind of blue print they just get random players, commentary is frustratingly basic, gameplay is improved imo but players still have crap movement animations so much more i could add.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

# 6 SyncereBlackout @ 11/11/15 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightline
... The XP system was a mistake, and it just inconsistent with a sim mode.

And really, because the of the XP system the mode is irredeemable. Drafting, free agency, team building etc. all dont really matter because the players dont progress and regress properly.

Your premise I agree with but I feel it makes drafting and free agency vital. There will be a minor swing in attributes due to confidence and minimal XP so you have to draft and sign players that fit your style of play and can start immediately or be a role player. The inadvertent ceiling adds to CFM (online).

# 7 onin9190 @ 11/11/15 07:15 PM
The problem is the some positions are given a bigger emphasis than others. So strategy is taken out the game because a DL is pretty much useless as their ratings and attributes do mean anything. It over values certain positions like CB so you can easily get rid of bad CB for better players or picks. The free agency market is terrible as it doesn't actually matter how the player performs as they don't progress or regress properly so you can have a 3 time MVP QB in the high 80s and just pay him like a back up QB.

# 8 Retropyro @ 11/11/15 10:22 PM
I have the same experience as the writer. I've played in a great 32 player league for years. It's been a blast and keeps the game engaging.

DaddyLeagues integration is fantastic.

# 9 speedtrucker @ 11/12/15 09:50 AM
Agree with the premise but we've never been able to keep a Madden OCM going for more than a couple of season and usually it starts out around 10-12 users and by the 3rd season it is usually 2-4 users at most.

whereas in NCAA we would keep a full 12 users from launch until next seasons launch, there was more fun to be had in the NCAA mid-week and off-season activities that usually kept everyone involved, especially recruiting and recruiting directly against the other users.

# 10 goillini03 @ 11/12/15 10:08 AM
I love CFM but some of the items mentioned earlier need fixed. I have a group of four of us that play CFM, and it is a blast. We usually get 5 or 6 years in, which is 3-4 more than I get in on my own.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

# 11 NDAlum @ 11/12/15 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusker
In theory, sure.

My experience however has been that 6-8 teams are constantly in flux with new owners...very hard to get 32 humans that all play nice. Beyond that, scheduling of games is easily the biggest pet peeve of mine. Squeezes the joy out of it.
If I had that experience I would feel the exact same way.

# 12 IlluminatusUIUC @ 11/12/15 04:09 PM
CFM is great, but IMO 32 is too many human users to keep focused and on the same page. You'll always wind up with a handful of people who lose interest or have an impossible time scheduling (often, the latter is me as I live on Pacific time and work a lot of evenings).

CFM would be perfect if you could do smaller leagues, or even throwback arrangements. It would be crazy fun to just take the original 8 AFL teams, for example, and play the small 14 game seasons they used to. Just delete 75% of the free agents at random to avoid over-stacking the teams.

# 13 IlluminatusUIUC @ 11/12/15 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtrucker
Agree with the premise but we've never been able to keep a Madden OCM going for more than a couple of season and usually it starts out around 10-12 users and by the 3rd season it is usually 2-4 users at most.

whereas in NCAA we would keep a full 12 users from launch until next seasons launch, there was more fun to be had in the NCAA mid-week and off-season activities that usually kept everyone involved, especially recruiting and recruiting directly against the other users.
The other thing that was good about NCAA dynasties is that because you were only 12 users out of ~120 teams, any new player joining would have a pretty decent selection to choose from. In an NFL dynasty, if you have a midseason quit it can be very hard to find a player to take over the 2-10 Titans.

# 14 SyncereBlackout @ 11/12/15 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
CFM is great, but IMO 32 is too many human users to keep focused and on the same page. You'll always wind up with a handful of people who lose interest or have an impossible time scheduling (often, the latter is me as I live on Pacific time and work a lot of evenings).

CFM would be perfect if you could do smaller leagues, or even throwback arrangements. It would be crazy fun to just take the original 8 AFL teams, for example, and play the small 14 game seasons they used to. Just delete 75% of the free agents at random to avoid over-stacking the teams.

I completely agree re: 32 users. I've always run my CFM with 12-18 (optimal at 16). For me it's just the right balance of user and CPU

# 15 SyncereBlackout @ 11/12/15 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightline
I take your point. Because progression is broken, it is more important than ever to be able to add new players. OK. But I don't think this reflects the NFL which, in theory, CFM is supposed to be emulating.

I didn't initially until I looked at my jets and the AFC east as a whole. IRL players learn their coaches scheme and hopefully their technique gets better (awr/throw accuracy/carry/tackle/etc). Seldom will a player get faster over his NFL career. Offensive linemen get stronger or block better (impact block) but not dramatically. Players have a cap on physical ability. Very very few break past that ceiling.

A solid guy / role player will make it to the pro bowl occasionally but if he's a perennial pro bowler then there's usually talk of a gold jacket.

Rambling a bit, but the point is MOST players don't change much from who they are when they enter the league. (See average NFL player career). Either they are a solid role player (avg development), a superstar (star dev) or on the fringe/replaceable (slow dev or 66-75 ovr).

Intentional or not, that's what this madden has shaped up to be.

# 16 scoobyskyline3 @ 11/12/15 08:46 PM
Theres alot of negative that can and will be said about this game, but i have to say... i hadnt played in about 8 years and now im officially back.

As far as human problems with CFM, between the group of coworkers and college buddies i have in my league of 11 we have an absolutely great time, it has brought us closer and it reminded me of before when the PS2 in the dorm room was ALWAYS hot back when you had to wait for everyone to play one person at a time.

I know there are flaws with XP and progression, but if you have a core of decent ethical gamers i believe you can have a great time

# 17 mastershake88 @ 11/13/15 04:37 PM
I don't like the fact that I download a new roster, go into connected franchise and all my players are cut. I don't like the fact that when I draft players they have horrible and inconsistent gear and swollen shoulderpads.

# 18 dkp23 @ 11/13/15 04:55 PM
main problem to me is the incoming draft classes sh1tting on the stock players due to the huge discrepancy in speed. Ya, we can turn down the threshold, but that isni't a legimtimate solution.

They nerfed stock speed, but didn't do it in draft classes. Then acknowledged there was an issue and increase CB speed which didnt mean anything. You have like 10 guys incoming every year with 95+ speed while stock players are stuck mostly in the 92 and under range and the CBs slow too. You have linebackers as fast as receivers, come on son.

Simple fix, dont have ot nerf speed, but if you do, nerf it in the draft classes too. Or just keep the rating scale the same and just limit how many players run like 4.2s coming in every year. Changing the scale for stock players and keeping the draft classes the same as previous years creates huge imbalance.

# 19 Sheba2011 @ 11/16/15 11:49 AM
Is it perfect? Of course not but this is some of the most fun I have been having with an offline franchise mode since 2005. Progression/regression is tough because it doesn't happen as often as people seem to think in the real NFL. A monster season means a guy played better not that he greatly improved his physical attributes. Most guys real life attributes never change or change very little.

# 20 TNBassMan10 @ 11/16/15 05:07 PM
I disagree. Playing with 31 other people sounds great but even when I've played with just 5 or 6, waiting on people to play their games is just a killer. A 32 person online connected franchise would be cool to see your stats over a season but at the same time, it would take the length of an NFL season to do so.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.