Home
Feature Article
MLB The Show Server Issues: Detailing the Saga So Far

The MLB The Show 17 server issues persisted over the weekend, and many are starting to feel like there is no end in sight.

While server issues are a traditional problem with Sony and MLB The Show, last year it seemed like there was a lot of progress made towards a smoother playing experience. Unfortunately this year, it appears the series has indeed suffered a setback with the online play.

Last year, there were some rough days even a couple of weeks after launch as well, but the servers going down at the start of Easter weekend was a real low point (Sony did get them back up on the whole by Saturday). With that in mind, we thought it best to at least summarize the issues that have cropped up during this first month and sort of just encapsulate the whole saga to this point.

A Summary of the Issues

The servers for MLB The Show 17 have been shaky at best from the get-go.

On day one, the original issue was a missing access token for most users, which removed their ability to access online features. From there, gamers have experienced games from all facets of Diamond Dynasty (including Conquest, Battle Royale, and Head to Head Seasons games) going into a processing queue.

When this happens, it holds up stat-based missions for hours or even days -- assuming those stats end up registering at all, which sometimes they do not.

The community itself had a tipping point of sorts on April 4, when the first Event was scheduled. The scheduled start time was 3 p.m. EST. Prior to this, a previous test event’s rules were up and users could join the event with the test restrictions, though their games would not count.

The actual Event came around, but the test event’s rules still applied, which allowed for some players to play with stacked teams versus bronze-only players.

SDS quickly shut down the event and delayed it for 24 hours.

Since that first Event, the servers have gone down at least a couple of times while games continue to enter the processing queue, or are even lost completely.

The Community Reaction

Anger, frustration and exhaustion have marked the community reaction thus far.

Many users have taken to issuing personal attacks via social media at developers (side note: never do this), with some expressing frustration at the lack of clear communication from Sony throughout the first few weeks post-release. At this point, the feedback has continued to spiral downwards, with communication becoming toxic at points.

In other words, instead of constructive communication that could lead to better interaction and possibly even faster troubleshooting of issues, the community has devolved into what is the equivalent of screaming obscenities into a brick wall.

The hit to Sony due to the lack of communication will probably be longer lasting than the server issues by a good measure, and it's going to take a lot of honest and open communication in the future to repair some of the wounds and divides the community and Sony have with one another on this front.

When Will it Be Fixed?

As we exit Easter Weekend, server issues are still continuing for some users.

A new patch has been mentioned, but obviously it will need to to get through testing and certification before it can go out to users. Our own best guess at a best-case scenario for that situation may put a more stable online experience a week or two away. If that is the case, users will have gone a full month without a stable online experience in MLB The Show 17.

That is, of course, a gigantic problem because large portions of the game depend upon online connectivity -- even seemingly "offline" modes like Road to the Show. This has been a problem with other sports games as well, with NBA 2K also a notable source of online headaches in recent years.

Because of this, large portions of the game are at times unplayable for users. With the possibility that this instability could continue, it's hard to justify recommending MLB The Show 17 for a purchase right now. We need to see that the game is fully functional and stable again to more comfortably say the game is safe to pick up -- at least when it comes to recommending it to anyone who has an internet connection.

While the fundamentals of the game are arguably the best they’ve been on the field, the experience as a whole due to the server issues makes the game more frustrating than not as of now.

Member Comments
# 1 cschauble @ 04/17/17 07:00 PM
After playing this game for as long as I can remember I just put my copy up for sale on Ebay. Aside from 2 games, all games played whether versus the CPU or head to head have gone to the queue. If after 3 weeks you can't figure out how to make your game playable I'm out. I likely will not purchase in the future.

# 2 Aby777 @ 04/17/17 07:15 PM
Sony needs dedicated servers on their exclusives like Microsoft does stop being so cheap!

# 3 GWPump23 @ 04/17/17 07:29 PM
I'm an MLB The Show "fan boy" for sure!

But... as much as I want to fire back @ the negativity expressed towards SDS here, it's hard to argue a lot of it...

What's driving most consumers nuts, are the lack of explanation? This development team has been nothing but forthright in the past & as accountable as any group I can remember? So, why not now?

What's going on SDS? IS there a patch coming? Are these server issues gunna be resolved? The mammoth HR's gunna be toned down? If so, great! If not, great! We're simply trying to hang with you, start franchises, find "work arounds" etc...

Personally, I LOVE this game! And, because I'm an off-line franchise guy & have adjustable sliders, none of what people are displeased about impacts me much (fortunately)

If you'r reading SDS, a lot of us do appreciate your efforts annually... Keep at it!

-GW-

# 4 335TDC @ 04/17/17 07:40 PM
First off, the community hasn't "devolved" just because a few loudmouths act like punks. But SDS has indeed been a "brick wall."

Secondly, SDS in their statement to the community NEVER apologized, instead choosing to adopt a patronizing tone with all the usual "commitment to excellence" wording. They didn't even say that THEY understood our frustration, wording it as, "Understandably, many of you are frustrated..." Fair game to parse their language since they chose to adopt a no-liability product-recall legalese instead of just saying, "We are sorry. You deserve better."

I love the Show, but SSD deserves ALL the vitriol it's receiving (personal attacks excluded).

# 5 GWPump23 @ 04/17/17 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC
First off, the community hasn't "devolved" just because a few loudmouths act like punks. But SDS has indeed been a "brick wall."

Secondly, SDS in their statement to the community NEVER apologized, instead choosing to adopt a patronizing tone with all the usual "commitment to excellence" wording. They didn't even say that THEY understood our frustration, wording it as, "Understandably, many of you are frustrated..." Fair game to parse their language since they chose to take a write in non-liability product-recall legalese instead of just saying, "We are sorry. You deserve better."

I love the Show, but SSD deserves ALL the vitriol it's receiving (personal attacks excluded).

Again, coming from a "fanboy" here...

This game has been released for a month? I'd imagine some of these issues requiring some time to resolve?

I'm ALL for holding people accountable. Don't feel this group deserves a "pass", either. DO feel that some time (to resolve issues) is fair though...

Did any of you hear Ramone Russell during Millennium's 3-day pre-release game stream? The guy was WIPED OUT! The game's post release hang over will pass, developer's batteries will recharge & these guys will "right" what's "wrong"...

SDS's past track record will prove me right...

-GW-

# 6 ChaseB @ 04/17/17 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC

Secondly, SDS in their statement to the community NEVER apologized, instead choosing to adopt a patronizing tone with all the usual "commitment to excellence" wording. They didn't even say that THEY understood our frustration, wording it as, "Understandably, many of you are frustrated..." Fair game to parse their language since they chose to adopt a no-liability product-recall legalese instead of just saying, "We are sorry. You deserve better."

I mean we did say the criticism was justified, we just highlighted personal attacks not being helpful (the same thing you just did).

# 7 eric7064 @ 04/17/17 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWPump23

This game has been released for a month? I'd imagine some of these issues requiring some time to resolve?

I'm ALL for holding people accountable. Don't feel this group deserves a "pass", either. DO feel that some time (to resolve issues) is fair though...

Did any of you hear Ramone Russell during Millennium's 3-day pre-release game stream? The guy was WIPED OUT! The game's post release hang over will pass, developer's batteries will recharge & these guys will "right" what's "wrong"...

SDS's past track record to prove me right...

-GW-
It is there job. "Wiped" or not. That's a sorry excuse. There should not be a need to "recharge". Me and 3 buddies are in the playoffs in Online Franchise, only the world series remains VS two CPU teams. And we have been waiting nearly 2 days for it to sim to get to the offseason.

And its the only mode we all play. Love the game, but this is a disgrace and SDS deserves all the criticism (Again minus the personal attacks).

They are so involved in the community pre-release, and once the game released they have largely remained silent, except for a LONG past due statement.

# 8 335TDC @ 04/17/17 08:10 PM
Quote:

SDS's past track record will prove me right...

-GW-
They had time to get this right, as in all the months before release. This is a PERENNIAL issue, not a one-time thing.

And I'm sure they'll get it right eventually, but they have chosen to focus on DD, an ONLINE moneymaker mode, and so the reaction (again: excluding personal attacks) is justified. How much TIME have people lost chasing "missions" only to be disconnected? Ridiculous. You simply don't greenlight a mode like this unless you have the infrastructure to handle it (with the occasional hiccup, of course -- it's IT).

And as an admitted fanboy, how about the non-apology...? Pretty dumb.

# 9 Moose Factory @ 04/17/17 08:10 PM
The biggest problem with this game and many other sports titles is that the offline modes aren't substantial enough to fill the void when server issues like this pop-up. Most of EA's titles aren't usable unless the servers are running. I'm also wondering if The Show server issues are happening because of a new influx of players new to the series. I took a couple years off from The Show but recently bought a PS4 Pro specifically for this game because of the hype this year. I imagine it's tough from a dev's perspective that they create an amazing game that attracts new players but your servers can't handle the load and people turn on you.

# 10 thekidisback @ 04/17/17 08:49 PM
Yeah it sucks. No other way to put it. I lost my progress after beating the Nats stronghold in Conquest due to a sever error. Not really that a big of a deal since I went ahead and beat them again when it started working but still, stuff like that just can't happen and that's small potatoes to what other users have lost. It's coming to a point where every time I play any DD mode, I just hope my game progress is saved and I am not greeted by a blue screen or server error. It's definitely curbed my playing activity and luckily, I have Breath of the Wild and many other games to play but users that only play The Show year round must be at their wits end.

Yeah, you can play offline franchise and not worry about server issues if you disconnect your PS4 from the internet but then you don't get any rewards or xp and that's a pretty sad workaround. It's not good business to have your paying customers being the ones that have to put up with a game that was clearly not ready for release. I am sure politics got in the way of SDS delaying the game but man, this is just getting unacceptable. I have to check this site and theshownation to see if the game is working or not before I fire up my PS4. Like it's already been mentioned, this is not a brand new franchise. We have had MANY The Show games. I don't condone the personal attacks but I can definitely sympathize with their frustration.

# 11 G3no_11 @ 04/17/17 08:54 PM
Servers are down now right after I captured a stronghold. Even though it went to que, it still counted thankfully. Now they are completely out and booted me from the DD screen.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

# 12 loganmorrison1 @ 04/17/17 08:54 PM
I can't understand how they have the same issue every single year. It's just awful. You pretty expect their will be server problems when the game is released. Very sad state when your product becomes synonymous with
having the same problem each year. It really tarnishes an otherwise great game

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 13 TheKnack @ 04/17/17 09:08 PM
This is embrassing.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

# 14 ZB9 @ 04/17/17 09:10 PM
I was looking forward to getting some time wit the show on my night off.

However, "server error"....

# 15 pats_rule @ 04/17/17 09:12 PM
As far as I'm concerned, I'm done. Non-stop server issues completely ruin it for me online, it's just not playable anymore. Before MLB the show 16 i haven't bought any show game since '12 and i was just getting back into the Franchise. This year's game looked so promising but constant neglicition of the servers , especially where the show makes all their money is just downright scummy. Looks like I will be abandoning the Show for '18 until they can prove they can handle the server issues.

# 16 WaitTilNextYear @ 04/17/17 09:51 PM
As a totally offline user who is not at all affected by server issues, I can say I don't truly experience the frustration many have. I can also say that it's disappointing that some areas of the game consistently have breakthroughs (graphics, lighting, DD, gameplay) and some others consistently lag behind (online, franchise mode, logic) every year. I believe that Sony should take a long look at the chronic problem areas and try to fix them, whether by hiring more people or whatever to help out.

That they have to keep giving people free stuff/DLC every year to make up for rocky rollouts is really unfortunate.

# 17 Speedy @ 04/17/17 10:16 PM
Quote:
I'm an MLB The Show "fan boy" for sure!

But... as much as I want to fire back @ the negativity expressed towards SDS here, it's hard to argue a lot of it...

What's driving most consumers nuts, are the lack of explanation? This development team has been nothing but forthright in the past & as accountable as any group I can remember? So, why not now?

What's going on SDS? IS there a patch coming? Are these server issues gunna be resolved? The mammoth HR's gunna be toned down? If so, great! If not, great! We're simply trying to hang with you, start franchises, find "work arounds" etc...

Personally, I LOVE this game! And, because I'm an off-line franchise guy & have adjustable sliders, none of what people are displeased about impacts me much (fortunately)

If you'r reading SDS, a lot of us do appreciate your efforts annually... Keep at it!

-GW-
This is my thought as well, GW.

SCEA has a heavy presence here before release so why is there nothing now? Even a simple update, 1-2 sentences long, every couple of days would be better...what they're working on, when they expect certain things to be released for a patch, etc.

I don't believe it's a "Run with the money!!" type thing SCEA is doing like No Man's Sky where a bunch of promises were made that are knowingly going to be unfulfilled at release...I believe 100% that SCEA is doing everything they can to fix what was featured.

From a devil's advocate perspective, I understand that if they have no news to provide or cannot provide any timelines, what they're working on, etc...that we'd hear nothing. But something is better than nothing which is what is fueling the frustration.

# 18 striker3771 @ 04/17/17 11:14 PM
They deserve all the backlash they are receiving for being silent for all this time. Like the poster above stated, SDS had a heavy presence here every day leading up to release touting all the additions they have made to '17 and selling their product. Now they are afraid to face their disgruntled customers? You could see them lurking in these forums every day since release, yet no word from them. How many server updates have there been? 3-4? Yet the server problems gets worse with every update? Their silence tells me that they do not have a solution to resolve this major problem.

# 19 Speedy @ 04/17/17 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
The hit to Sony due to the lack of communication will probably be longer lasting than the server issues by a good measure, and it's going to take a lot of honest and open communication in the future to repair some of the wounds and divides the community and Sony have with one another on this front.
This was pulled from the article and I think is absolutely true, Chris...for all the good PR that SCEA has created the past few years, this year seems to have created a lot of unsurety at what seems like negligence by SCEA.

There are still a lot of users, at least on OS, that has faith in SCEA eventually delivering but for the new users that picked up the game, that faith is simply not there and it will be unlikely the new users for 2017 will be repeat buyers in 2018.

...all this in just 3 weeks time, too. But when online is now a substantial portion of the entire game, that's what happens.

# 20 Bullit @ 04/18/17 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
This was pulled from the article and I think is absolutely true, Chris...for all the good PR that SCEA has created the past few years, this year seems to have created a lot of unsurety at what seems like negligence by SCEA.

There are still a lot of users, at least on OS, that has faith in SCEA eventually delivering but for the new users that picked up the game, that faith is simply not there and it will be unlikely the new users for 2017 will be repeat buyers in 2018.

...all this in just 3 weeks time, too. But when online is now a substantial portion of the entire game, that's what happens.
I don't think it is limited to new users either. I think, and this is just my opinion of course, that gamers as a whole are getting real tired of being burned by shoddy games coming out. This trend of we can fix it after launch is already getting really old and I think it is just going to get worse before it gets better. I can't even count the amount of games that in the past year that when released were crap and then 3 to 6 months later were great games.

Personally, I am very disappointed in this years release. I am probably about the biggest fan boy of this game on here and has defended this game and the Developers for a long time. But this year I honestly don;t feel like I have a leg to stand on. This game is a mess and not just with the server issues. I have seen more bugs and glitches in this game than ever before. For the first time in the life of this series, I am seriously thinking about going back a year because at least I was having fun with the game and it works.

I don't like the direction this game is going, I don't play online at all. I dont enjoy the Diamond Dynasty stuff. It is just not in my interest. For me the additions that were added this year seem to be broken, QC and QM lead to SP issues that completely throw off any possibility of their use in franchise. I actually forgot about quirks because I just think they are a gimmick and I dont look for them.

Well there is more but I think I will save it for a thread that it should probably actually be in. But for one last thing. I am done with the day one purchase of this title and am almost with a certainty going to start skipping a year or two.

« Previous12345678Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.